• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 |OT| You promised you'd take me there again someday...

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah I was impressed while running up the street in town and the wind started to gust up.

Ha I didn’t get the trophy for trying to leave town. Anyone else just go with your instinct? I bets it’s from playing the original. It just feels natural to explore everything except the road leaving town.

First trophy I got lol Didn’t even know there was one for it. Was just doing my usual OCD explore every inch thing and it popped.

Finally about to sink my teeth in. Didn’t even make it to town last night.

Is this better than Alan Wake2?
I bought, played, and liked Alan Wake 2 on release. This game holds the unsettling atmosphere way better than Alan Wake 2 did. Like if Alan Wake 2 had kept up the tension from that very first scene (where you play as the injured guy lost in the woods), THAT would be my ideal survival horror game.

SH2's combat isn't quite as good as AW2's. And it's more frequent that I was expecting going in. But it's serviceable and conveys desperation pretty well.

I'm three hours in SH2 remake so far, and I think it's better than AW2. But not by too much.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Back in the day, i didn't really find the game all that scary, but now that I'm older, I do somehow. Very good remake!

Breh, I am playing at my standing desk, I pulled the shades so it's dark in my office, the radio is emitting static, the creepy music and sounds are playing, and then my wife stomps in the room behind me giving me haptics from behind I didn't expect. Let's just say I paused, took my headset off, and walked away for a moment. I'll be back.

Edit: It appears I was given Neogold. I didn't see a notification so maybe it was anonymous. Thanks to whoever it was!

I went back and checked, thanks John Marston John Marston !

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The sound design is fucking phenomenal. Already jumped twice. Overall feeling very uneasy already playing this which is awesome 😂 Bringin back a lot of PT feels (which was damn near nightmare inducing to me).

NhVwLDz.jpeg

ISP2lVh.jpeg

bender

What time is it?
Played up to the second save point but I think I'll save this for Halloween. My only two minor gripes is that I wish the fog were a little more encompassing and I'm not sure why the water level is so high on the first save point (peering down into the well is a little more forbidding).

It's also been a while, but weren't there growling dogs during the intro to the original? I'm not sure I heard them in the remake.

bender

What time is it?
Dogs in SH2? I only know of one

I don't think you ever saw them but it sounded like growling dogs near the farm. I could be a bad memory but I think that's when I nope'd out the first time when I got the game at launch. It was very, very early on so somewhere near the farm.

Why doesn't this game do shader compilation on launch rather than on the fly while the game is running? I've read that the shader compilation stutter is present when entering new areas.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I loved AW2 but a lot of that may have been because I got to share in the experience with my daughter. Talk about amazing graphics. I think the downtown city area may be one of the best looking locations ever in any game.

Vick

Gold Member
I don't think you ever saw them but it sounded like growling dogs near the farm. I could be a bad memory but I think that's when I nope'd out the first time when I got the game at launch. It was very, very early on so somewhere near the farm.
You're almost correct. There's off-screen growls, very scary ones, right at the beginning of the game on the road to SH.

Luipadre

3 hours flew by. First time playing silent hill and this is top notch so far. Atmosphere is off the charts and the audio is god tier. Sadly the image quality is messy even in quality mode, this one really needs PSSR man and the HDR is weird. I used the settings from that HDR video but still feels like its crushing blacks and even has elevated black levels at some places. Anyway cant wait to continue this tomorrow. What an awesome game so far

Top Bottom