• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Don't forget you can rent any God for a small amount of favour if you're unsure about them but want to test. Also I think the rotation changes every week (been a while since I last relied on it) so it shouldn't be too long until you get a new set if you're willing to wait.

Yeah, I saw that about renting with favor as well as doing the weekly rotation thing. Not sure what day it rotates on, though. But honestly I buy a lot of games and I don't mind paying in free-to-play games if I feel it's worth it to both support the developers and give myself more options. I've put a lot of money into Marvel Heroes, for example.

But I'll continue trying out what's available and if it seems like something I'll return to and could get use out of having all the Gods available I might as well chip in while the price is at $30. It says that's for a limited time but I'm not sure how honest that is since I thought that's always been the price.

I tried to check with the name in the OP to get added to the GAF clan but they weren't online and I'm not sure who else to try to find. And when I searched in clans I didn't see anything with GAF or whatever in it. What's the name of the clan? Maybe it's in the OP and I overlooked it but it seems the name might need to be edited in for new players?

But I'll continue trying out what's available and if it seems like something I'll return to and could get use out of having all the Gods available I might as well chip in while the price is at $30. It says that's for a limited time but I'm not sure how honest that is since I thought that's always been the price.

I tried to check with the name in the OP to get added to the GAF clan but they weren't online and I'm not sure who else to try to find. And when I searched in clans I didn't see anything with GAF or whatever in it. What's the name of the clan? Maybe it's in the OP and I overlooked it but it seems the name might need to be edited in for new players?

That price for the god pack has been around for a while, apart from a few times where there has been money off it's pretty constant.

The GAF clan isn't that active honestly. You're probably better off just adding people who are online at a similar time to you or joining a big clan. You could pm XT in this thread for an invite as I believe he is the leader of the clan.

That price for the god pack has been around for a while, apart from a few times where there has been money off it's pretty constant.

The GAF clan isn't that active honestly. You're probably better off just adding people who are online at a similar time to you or joining a big clan. You could pm XT in this thread for an invite as I believe he is the leader of the clan.
After posting my reply I did some searching online and saw the Ultimate Pack was listed as $30 back in 2012 so yeah, definitely been that way for awhile.

After doing the MotD, which was not much fun at all for me, I did chat with someone in the lobby that I added as a friend and they said they'd bring me along for more to help me with the game. I think that'll be the way I go and just add people like you mentioned or just end up getting into one of the large, random clans. I noticed this thread is fairly quiet so I figured the clan might be quiet.

Feel free to add me as I'll likely keep playing at least a few matches each night as I try out the different game types.

I did an Assault match that was really fun as Sobek. I didn't do much damage or kills overall but I enjoyed initiating with the "1" move that launched enemies back to my team. I still haven't tried Siege or Conquest but I think I'll give those a shot late tonight when I'm home from work and just apologize to my team for being bad, heh. Those two types sound like they require the most teamwork.

Feel free to add me as I'll likely keep playing at least a few matches each night as I try out the different game types.

Sure, what;s your in-game name. Although it sounds like your in the NA timezone? I'm in EU so it might be rare that we're on at the same time (maybe if you're up early on the weekend).

I did an Assault match that was really fun as Sobek. I didn't do much damage or kills overall but I enjoyed initiating with the "1" move that launched enemies back to my team. I still haven't tried Siege or Conquest but I think I'll give those a shot late tonight when I'm home from work and just apologize to my team for being bad, heh. Those two types sound like they require the most teamwork.

The better you try conquest the better. Eventually the meta will kick in and people will get very annoyed if you don't have an understanding of it. So running while at an early level will give you at least some understanding of the mode before you try to get the minute things down.

Disxo

They've released two new guardians one of which is often first pick/first ban. A few others have got buffs so there is actually a decent amount of choice if you're running a guardian.
Sorry for the late answer...
OMG new guardians (FINALLY!)

Connecting now F*** YEAH!

Edit:
The new boots meta seems interesting

Sure, what;s your in-game name. Although it sounds like your in the NA timezone? I'm in EU so it might be rare that we're on at the same time (maybe if you're up early on the weekend).

The better you try conquest the better. Eventually the meta will kick in and people will get very annoyed if you don't have an understanding of it. So running while at an early level will give you at least some understanding of the mode before you try to get the minute things down.

Sorry, meant to say that I'm Wibblewozzer in game as well. I'm in NA and right now really only play around 10pm-2am Pacific (which is roughly 5am-9am GMT, is that a EU standard time?). So yeah, probably won't see me too often unless I'm playing on a day off. No harm adding just in case!

I'll give Conquest a shot tonight or tomorrow while I'm still low level for sure. I think I'm now level 6.

I'm a Wukong main but I'm not a fan of the Dark Lord skin. His tier 2 skin is miles better imo and also cheaper even with this sale.

On that same note, I enjoy playing Scylla but I'm not a fan of the Daisy Despair skin. I actually prefer Scylla's default look over any of her skins.

I think I'm gonna buy the Shinobalanque skin. Or wait until part 2 of the event and hopefully Stargazer Anubis will be on sale, which is the skin I want most.

I think I'm gonna buy the Shinobalanque skin. Or wait until part 2 of the event and hopefully Stargazer Anubis will be on sale, which is the skin I want most.

With how the Oddysey is shaping up I probably won't bother getting anything from it (maybe Idusa skin) so I'll probably grab a few of these in the sale. Mainly dreadbeard Pos and Gamma slam Cab (200 gems seems really cheap for it).

Yeah Gamma Slam was on my radar, but the hair really ruined it for me. My god it looks terrible in game.

I rarely play Kukulkan, but if Sacred Dragon goes on sale for 200 I'll probably buy it. That's one of my favorite skins in the game (R.I.P. old Ao Kuang). "Celebration!"

Yeah what's up with the Odyssey this year? I don't like any of the skins at all. Last year I wanted most all of them aside from a few, but got them anyway because I was like $20 away from Archon Thanatos. I bought Pokemon kuku because it's Pokemon, but it's got an awful VP and the effects aren't great either.

Is there a site for all the stuff that'll come out with the Odyssey this year? I'm new to the game so I'm only aware of the two out so far (dragon thing and space lady). I don't mind buying some gems to play around a bit and I'm curious what else is coming.

Do they ever do gem sales? Or does that stay steady and instead they just do events like this upcoming one?

Is there a site for all the stuff that'll come out with the Odyssey this year? I'm new to the game so I'm only aware of the two out so far (dragon thing and space lady). I don't mind buying some gems to play around a bit and I'm curious what else is coming.

Do they ever do gem sales? Or does that stay steady and instead they just do events like this upcoming one?

They like to keep the Odyssey items secret for as long as possible. However they are often datamined. They also have a twitch stream every other Wednesday showing new stuff off.

We know about a Medusa skin coming (robot Medusa), a rat skin where he's wearing a costume to look like ragnorok fenrir and a knight ao kuang. If you Google smite datamine you should be able to find them.

In terms of sales I seem to recall some in the past but events like this one are more common. Keep in mind that a gem sale is probably unlikely while the Odyssey is ongoing so that they get more money.

drotahorror

Witnessed a friendship get torn apart today.

Was playing Assault, I was dead (surprise), our Anhur just got a quad and was going for the penta when Ymir (his friend) jacks the penta from him. Anhur immediately dc's. Comes back a couple minutes later. Lots of random cursing, 'you steal my kills all the time' yada yada yada, name calling etc. Was pretty funny actually. One of them saying something like 'I'm only your friend because you help me do quests' which I assume they play another game together.

We won though. My only win today actually. fuck smite

Witnessed a friendship get torn apart today.

Was playing Assault, I was dead (surprise), our Anhur just got a quad and was going for the penta when Ymir (his friend) jacks the penta from him. Anhur immediately dc's. Comes back a couple minutes later. Lots of random cursing, 'you steal my kills all the time' yada yada yada, name calling etc. Was pretty funny actually. One of them saying something like 'I'm only your friend because you help me do quests' which I assume they play another game together.

We won though. My only win today actually. fuck smite

tumblr_m7zsj1rdBL1rsy50k.gif

Damn son, ice cold right there. Nothing reveals the cracks in a friendship like a competitive game!

Seriously, play sports or a MOBA/FPS with someone if you want to see their true character.

If you have the SPL ticket you can now pick your team for the Pax Aus tournament which kicks off this coming Friday.

Avant Garde and the Dire Wolves are seen as the two best teams.

gogosox82

So I just read the patch notes and I really don't like the nerf to Wukong and all the support items but I like the buff to pestilence. The Janus and Athena I guess were expected and the nerfs aren't too bad honestly.

And I'm not sure about this new game mode. Wasn't Siege supposed to bridge the gap between players who have been playing for a while but want to get into conquest but are too intimidated? This just seems like arena with towers and phoenixes. I'll try it out but I'm not sure about how well its going to do honestly. I guess we will see.

I have that costume but I still need her dance emote. The monkey gets off her shoulder and does the dance next to her, it's great.

Now your just rubbing it in :(

You can see some of the upcoming skins for Ah Puch, Bellona, Scylla and Janus here as they've been datamined. It also has Chiron's abilities: http://smitedatamining.com/smite-pts-datamining-chiron-skins-charity-swc-christmas-more/

So I just read the patch notes and I really don't like the nerf to Wukong and all the support items but I like the buff to pestilence.

I also don't like the sound of it but I'm willing to wait to test it. It does sound like they couldn't figure out how to nerf Bluestone so just went the easy and unnecessary route.

Now your just rubbing it in :(

Sorry...If it's any consolation I did have to open a few chests to get it, I didn't get lucky.

Ughhhh, those upcoming Odyssey skins look pretty nice. That means I'm going to buy them, which means that I'll probably end up buying the others just so I can get the eventual mega awesome skin at the end.

Time to set aside $150 just for Smite.

drotahorror

Just to show how fast paced the new map is, check the kills (even when we down a person for half the game)

New map is really fun, I can see myself playing it a lot. Lost that game, we were destroying when Tyr was there though. Once the DC happened, Rama just stayed in one lane and pushed and solo'd the titan basically.

Ughhhh, those upcoming Odyssey skins look pretty nice. That means I'm going to buy them, which means that I'll probably end up buying the others just so I can get the eventual mega awesome skin at the end.

Time to set aside $150 just for Smite.

The Scylla and Ah Puch ones are apparently in a chest where some of the proceeds go to a children's charity and not the Odyssey.

Coming back from a break and they added like 6 gods but the only one I want to play is Khepri.

Best news about the state of the game seems to be that my boy Zhong is in style. Worst news is that I seem to have missed the small window of Wukong viability and he is going to be nerfed. And apparently someone made some really crazy change to Zeus.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Had 2 really easy "the enemies have no backbone" roflstomp "wins" via surrenders, securing my 3 first wins for the day. And then out of my chest pull emerges BUCCANEITH! *genericvoicepakwohoo.wav* not much I'd want more than that, YaAr! *neithdansce.gif*

Anyone know if you get a 2nd chest pull for 6 wins?

And then out of my chest pull emerges BUCCANEITH! *genericvoicepakwohoo.wav* not much I'd want more than that, YaAr! *neithdansce.gif*

Oh, you lucky fella! I had a great time rolling over enemies during last weekend's costume party with Buccaneith. I'm super salty that only Ms. Diagnosis is on sale this weekend, not the Buccaneith glory.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Oh, you lucky fella! I had a great time rolling over enemies during last weekend's costume party with Buccaneith. I'm super salty that only Ms. Diagnosis is on sale this weekend, not the Buccaneith glory.

So happy this time, most of my last free chest pulls were meh. I love Nurse Neith's card art, but the in game model... not so much.

Buccaneith totally reminds me of Tula from the old Pirates of Dark Water cartoon / games, so it's win all the way, haha.

They actually went the other way this time, it was set to reward the chest after 5 fwotd at first.

That's a nice roll by the way, you got super lucky.

I'm happy it's lower, so much less stressful. All the high strung players that quit or complain all game...

That one time where First 5... and each after THAT also gave a chest was quite fun too. I got mostly crap on the most recent free chest events, brother got High Seas Sobek, which he loves. Glad we can finally both play pirate faves! The 1 hand shooting and reload, the monkey... quite happy.

Had my best game where I went 9-1 as Chaac. But it was also a total steamroll of a game. I also did fairly well the last couple times I played Ra so I might try to focus on those two gods. I seem to be getting better after a streak of mostly losses so it's good having gods that I feel comfortable with. I still play Assault more than anything else so I'm getting a lot of random god experience in, too.

I'll also likely play Chaac more because I just got the skin for him out of the Halloween chest for my three wins today.

Edit: Was buying gems and noticed it's a better value to buy 2,500 gems for $34.99 than 3,500 gems at $49.99. Huh.

Just saw in that Steam thread that Smite is still peaking at ~20k players every weekend. Reddit gave me the impression that Smite didn't do too well on Steam, but its numbers have been steady since launch. Seems good to me.

Just saw in that Steam thread that Smite is still peaking at ~20k players every weekend. Reddit gave me the impression that Smite didn't do too well on Steam, but its numbers have been steady since launch. Seems good to me.

From around the 30 games I've now played of both Heroes of the Storm and 30 games of Smite I easily get into Smite games much quicker. Seems like a healthy community of people playing across the different game types. I've been quite satisfied with it as a new player.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
they dont understand that steam only logs people playing through steam and not everyone logged into the game via hirez launcher so they think 20k is low when really its way more then that

Valve should add a steamworks exclusive icon to that stat list since people looking at it compare apples to oranges.

Queues are a bit strange with smite. Sometimes you get a fast game but people who only play ranked conquest are always complaining about something or other. Not sure how many people actively play ranked Smite. It isn't much fun at all.

I've been quite satisfied with it as a new player.

That's kind of a rare comment, at least going by the reddit. A lot of people seem to complain about the fact that there are lots of dcs and rage quits at low levels (this isn't the case at max level though).

Queues are a bit strange with smite. Sometimes you get a fast game but people who only play ranked conquest are always complaining about something or other. Not sure how many people actively play ranked Smite. It isn't much fun at all.

A lot of people on reddit like to talk down to people who don't or rarely play conquest but conquest is the second most played game mode only if you lump casual and league together. That (comparatively) lowish population on the conquest game mode causes the matchmaking system to have some trouble (which people complain about).

League Joust doesn't really have this problem as long as you're not ranked too high (masters players often have 10min queues) probably just because you only need one other player rather than 9.

Top Bottom