• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Warned 2024 Would Be Light But PS5 Still Has The Best Games

XXL

Sony sparked discontent among the PlayStation fandom in February this year when it said during an earnings call there’ll be no sequels or updates to “major existing franchise titles” on the PS5 before March 2025. With the platform holder keeping its content roadmaps close to its chest, the comments were largely taken out of context and many assumed this would be a lean year for the company’s new-gen console.
While it’s true this has been a fairly quiet year for PS Studios, it’s been anything but light on the games front. At the time of writing, my three Game of the Year frontrunners are Astro Bot, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and Metaphor: ReFantazio and the PS5 is the only platform where you can play all three. Other possible contenders for awards include Silent Hill 2, Helldivers 2, and Black Myth: Wukong – all console exclusives.
There seems to be a sentiment on social media that a game doesn’t count unless it comes from a wholly owned first-party studio, but PlayStation has done a particularly good job of working with partners to keep its portfolio packed this year.

XXL

Truth Lying GIF by Tangina Stone

Fake

Gold Member
Is IGN trying to downplaying the 2024 exclusivity catalogue problem from Sony?

I really don't get why inflate game discussion with those stupid takes.

'BRUH I know was bad for Sony, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT'

Last edited:

XXL

'BRUH I know was bad for Sony, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT'
A bad year for PS5 results in....

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remastered
Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

You guys better hope they don't have a good year in 2025. I'm not sure you'll be able to handle it. Lol.

nial

The article says that Sony had a good year despite the warnings of the company (which are mostly unrelated to this topic, anyway). Are you this slow every time?

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remastered
Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

You guys better hope they don't have a good year in 2025. I'm not sure you'll be able to handle it. Lol.
that is terrible. a kids game, wu kong and helldivers is on pc and a bunch of remasters/remakes that arent new games.

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth

Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2

TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remaster

Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

It's striking that all but one of the new games come from the East (let's not include remasters). That's why I keep advocating the Japanese to take back leadership of PS.

Fake

Gold Member
Noooo they don’t count because…. THEY JUST DONT, okay?

For the first party?

What up with this list war that context is out of window?

2024 wasn't a good year for Sony because Sony first party studios are out of scene.

People need to stop using that stupid list war to validate their argument. Most of the games in that list wasn't from Sony First Party Studios, so Sony in 2024 was depenting of third party or exclusivity deals to keep up with 2024.

I got a bunch of good and new games this year for my PS5 (Granblue, Dragon Ball, Astro Bot, Unicorn Overlord, Warhammer), but doens't remove the fact that 'In 2024 Sony first party studios was lackluster'.

XXL

Sony fans when a couple days pass without news.

Michael Che Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
People do this to themselves though and end up eating crow almost every fucking time.

The PS5 Pro is the latest example of this.

Hating on people talking about it in retrospect, is just weird.

XXL

For the first party?

What up with this list war that context is out of window?

2024 wasn't a good year for Sony because Sony first party studios are out of scene.

People need to stop using that stupid list war to validate their argument. Most of the games in that list wasn't from Sony First Party Studios, so Sony in 2024 was depenting of third party or exclusivity deals to keep up with 2024.

I got a bunch of good and new games this year for my PS5 (Granblue, Dragon Ball, Astro Bot, Unicorn Overlord, Warhammer), but doens't remove the fact that 'In 2024 Sony first party studios was lackluster'.
*but, but, but

The reality - the PS5 as a platform had an amazing fucking year, regardless of how many asterisks you have to use to make yourself feel comfortable about it.

Lunarorbit

There seems to be a sentiment on social media that a game doesn’t count unless it comes from a wholly owned first-party studio

nah bro. We're all just wondering what the 1st party studios are doing for the most part.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
1st party didn't have the big known franchises, just like they claimed. But Astro Bot has delivered and all the games they've paid for exclusivity for got high scores. PS has done that pretty much every gen which makes them incredibly tough to compete against. If the majority of copies are going to be sold on PS anyway, they can sign huge exclusives left and right and it probably barely costs them anything.

The bigger issue at hand is if they will ever have this option ever again if their 1st party output slows down. I get the feeling that both Stella Blade and FFVII publishers wish they were on PC at the very least and are not happy with the sales. Silent Hill is on PC, and so is BMW. Xbox is going to bow out of the traditional console space so we're likely seeing one of the last big years where 3rd party exclusives can carry Sony. I don't think Rise of the Ronin met expectations either, and even 2nd party stuff like Helldivers 2 went viral in large part due to PC.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Snl Idk GIF by Saturday Night Live

Eh…I picked up Wukong, and I’ll buy Stellar Blade and TLoU2 when they hit PC.

Guess I’m just getting old, because nothing else there excites me. Microsoft has more upcoming PC releases that interest me, but that depends on how they turn out.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
There seems to be a sentiment on social media that a game doesn’t count unless it comes from a wholly owned first-party studio
That discussion only exists, because console warriors exist.

- That game was moneyhatted
- That game was just third Party
- That game was just second Party
- That game was day1 on Pc
- That game was just a timed exclusive
- That game was just a remaster
- That game was just a remake
- That game was whatever fits my narrative

Nobody gives a shit and even if the number of Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft games was zero in a year, there is still plenty of 3rd party games to play to make most gamers happy, casuals in any case.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How it is having a PS5

mcivs578vbj71.jpg

Nobody gives a shit and even if the number of Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft games was zero, there is still plenty of 3rd party games to play to make most gamers happy, casuals in any case.

Exactly.

I keep saying, if we're gonna keep using asterisks for games then this iconic pic is now invalid:

icxok4gugbk71.png

But you will still see ppl use this pic when talking about console libraries.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Nobody gives a shit and even if the number of Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft games was zero, there is still plenty of 3rd party games to play to make most gamers happy, casuals in any case.

Really enjoyed PlayStation first party games ever since the PS3 generation, but I'll never understand the attitude some people have that if it isn't first party then it somehow doesn't count or is a lesser game.

Last edited:
Wasn't IGN the site the Sony fans here mostly hate or am i confusing it with another site?

Yeah, I remember when 2024 was supposed to be the year of Xbox.
plBFAqS.jpeg

But in reality
7Eic1vf.jpeg
Honestly, Xbox has also been lowkey having a good year. They had age of mythology retold in September( a great fucking game), the new flight simulator(releasing this year) looks amazing, plus they have Indiana Jones and stalker 2 set for this year as well.

Top Bottom