• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Watching

Ping Pong
Matsutaro
Jojo
Chaika
Captain Earth

Wish I wasn't watching
Mahouka

Uninterested in
everything else but mushishi because i still haven't seen s1!

AOTS:
Ping Pong
Mushi-shi
JoJo

Pretty good so far:
No Game, No Life
Hitsugi no Chaika
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Captain Earth I guess

About to drop:
Mekaku City Actors
Nananananananana
Kanojo ga Flag

Not enough episodes to judge:
Mahouka (only watched one)
M3

DROPPED:
Knights of Sidonia
Soul Eater Not!
Dragonar
That garbage Shogun show

I ain't watching Haikyuu or One Week Friends.

Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka - 03

Rabbits ...comes in all sort of shapes !!!!

1398350703713.gif

I just can't .... this anime ...so good.....

Dat dual Cofee mug , dat house reveal ...dat metal gear solid reference ....

Dat fake flashback...

Excellent.

genjiZERO

Anime has 99 episodes and is over.
Manga still ongoing.

The anime is a direct adaptation of the manga. No fillers, no changes, it's literally identical to the manga but in color and with sound. It has a great OST, solid cast...

So basically you can do what you want, like watching the 99 episodes then switch to the manga...

Oh, that's awesome thanks for the info!

I'm looking for a recommendation for my (adult) brother. He just watched Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I thought I'd try to get him into anime. Shounen would be best I think. Something with a strong sense of optimism, teamwork and with a well-thought out story arc would be best. Nothing too gloomy or esoteric. I was thinking Rurouni Kenshin. Any suggestions?

Faiz

Watching:
JoJo's.
Captain Earth
The World is Still Beautiful (though may not be watching soon)

Wish I was watching (but not, because)
Ping Pong (Funi's free player sucks, and their EVS isn't supported well enoigh to pay for)
Sidonia (waiting for Netflix I guess)

The Best
One Week Friends
Hunter x Hunter
Ping Pong
Baby Steps (at least manga, haven't seen much of show)

The Good
Jojo Starburst Solid but Juicy
Captain Planet (because it reminds me of Star Driver and I really liked that show)
Chaika (if it continues to deliver good action and less Chaika, it'll move up)
No Game No Life
Black Bullet
The World is Still Beautiful
Tonari No Seki-Kun

The Good That Shouldn't Be This Good

Majin Bone
Mahouka (I enjoy it for Batman Gary Stu)

The So Hilariously Cheesy and Melodramatic It's Good

Bryhnhildr of the Hingder Dingder Swedish Chef

The Shit. SHIIIIIIIIIII-IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT (that I'll probably drop next episode)
Mekaku Shitty Actors
M3

I'm looking for a recommendation for my (adult) brother. He just watched Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I thought I'd try to get him into anime. Shounen would be best I think. Something with a strong sense of optimism, teamwork and with a well-thought out story arch would be best. Nothing too gloomy or esoteric. I was thinking Rurouni Kenshin. Any suggestions?
A favorite here has been the 2011 adaptation of Hunter x Hunter along with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) and its sequel which is airing right now.

Zeppeli

Banned
The Best
One Week Friends
Hunter x Hunter
Ping Pong

The Good
Captain Planet (because it reminds me of Star Driver and I really liked that show)
No Game No Life
Black Bullet
Tonari No Seki-Kun

Majin Bone

The Shit. SHIIIIIIIIIII-IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT (that I'll probably drop next episode)
Mekaku Shitty Actors

JoJo is only going to get worse until Dio's world, where it will get really, really good.

Part 4 is going to be the best transition from manga to anime. It's going to be fucking awesome.

Also, people - it's JoJo, not Jojo!

The Best
One Week Friends
Hunter x Hunter
Ping Pong

The Good
No Game No Life
Black Bullet
Tonari No Seki-Kun

Majin Bone

Mekaku Shitty Actors
M3

I mostly agree with this ranking.

So when is it generally acceptable to do shows ranking? Halfway through the season?

Best 3 (must buy at any cost)
Mekakucity Actors
Haikyuu!!
Mahouka (Irregular at Magic High)

Biggest Good Surprise
No Game No Life
Ping Pong

The Rest
6. Yugioh Arc-V
7. Majin Bone
8. Dragon Collection
9. Oreca Battle
10. M3
11. Kamigami no Asobi
12. JJBA
13. Black Bullet
14. Captain Earth
15. Kawaisou
16. La Corda d'oro Blue Sky
17. Damidaler

Jarmel

Banned
What's the deal with the picture on the far right?

It's some art Yoshida did way back when the show had initially aired. It was supposed to be a promise/hint of Eureka/Renton's relationship.

..............................................................................................

-_-

-_-

-_-

I'm looking for a recommendation for my (adult) brother. He just watched Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I thought I'd try to get him into anime. Shounen would be best I think. Something with a strong sense of optimism, teamwork and with a well-thought out story arc would be best. Nothing too gloomy or esoteric. I was thinking Rurouni Kenshin. Any suggestions?

If it wasn't for the "not gloomy" aspect I would've recommended so much anime that's highly ranked for adults as it's seinen and still badass, just kind of depressing.

If it has to be shonen then Hunter x Hunter works best I guess, alongside Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Both are on Crunchyroll too. And if he wants a show that's both shonen and a comedy, then Gintama. Though Gintama requires some investment as the first 20 or so episodes are pretty meh as they are introducing characters, but for the rest of the episodes it is grade A+ comedy with a few sprinkled in amazing serious arcs. And there are like 200+ episode so he wouldn't run out of them anytime soon. Also in Crunchyroll.

If you think he'd enjoy something a bit more serious and the gloomy aspect doesn't matter, Fate Zero is a favorite here. Or Cowboy Bebop. Or Samurai Champloo. All three of those have great action scenes and great characters. FZ is in crunchyroll and Netflix, Samurai Champloo is in Netflix, and Cowboy Bebop you might have to find another way to watch

Zeppeli

Banned
It's some art Yoshida did way back when the show had initially aired. It was supposed to be a promise/hint of
Eureka/Renton's relationship.

..............................................................................................

-_-

-_-

-_-

Spoiling stuff is for jerks

Zeppeli

Banned

You have to got to be joking if you think that's a spoiler.
I am.

If it wasn't for the "not gloomy" aspect I would've recommended so much anime that's highly ranked for adults as it's seinen and still badass, just kind of depressing.

If it has to be shonen then Hunter x Hunter works best I guess, alongside Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Both are on Crunchyroll too. And if he wants a show that's both shonen and a comedy, then Gintama. Though Gintama requires some investment as the first 20 or so episodes are pretty meh as they are introducing characters, but for the rest of the episodes it is grade A+ comedy with a few sprinkled in amazing serious arcs. Also in Crunchyroll.

If you think he'd enjoy something a bit more serious and the gloomy aspect doesn't matter, Fate Zero is a favorite here. Or Cowboy Bebop. Or Samurai Champloo. All three of those have great action scenes and great characters.

Honestly I think Fullmetal Alchemist would be best for a newcomer. HxH is great and all but it has a lot of episodes and it may be too much for someone new.

That show is not really about teamwork though. It's like Simon doing 99% of everything and everybody else tagging along lol

Honestly I think Fullmetal Alchemist would be best for a newcomer. HxH is great and all but it has a lot of episodes and it may be too much for someone new.

Oh jesus, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood completely slipped my mind what an idiot. Yeah that one is high priority too. And it's on Netflix and it's shonen/seinen hybrid where it still is fairly mature and not so much about fighting or battles or "fool this isn't even my final form". It's on Netflix

I tried the first episode and couldn't make it. 2lewd/fanservicey4me

Team Dai-Gurren has a bunch of huge moments especially in Lagann-hen.

Keep watching. Trust me I hate the fan service too, but I'm willing to overlook it because the other 2-3 episodes currently out are pretty damn good with the reference humor (phoenix wright, JoJo) and the main male lead has won me over with the speech he gave in the last episode. Give those a watch. Worst thing that happens you wasted an hour.

As to GL, yeah later on in the second half it becomes more about teamwork.

Zeppeli

Banned
Keep watching. Trust me I hate the fan service too, but I'm willing to overlook it because the other 2-3 episodes currently out are pretty damn good with the reference humor (phoenix wright, JoJo) and the main male lead has won me over with the speech he gave in the last episode. Give those a watch. Worst thing that happens you wasted an hour.

As to GL, yeah later on in the second half it becomes more about teamwork.

I'll try it again soon. I was only able to power through KlK with the hopes of HYPE, so maybe that can help with this.

For the first half of GL, it's based around
Simon coming in to his own and moving from the typical whiny sidekick role to the main character role.
It wouldn't have made sense to try to do that yet not have him take on the brunt of the workload.

It's like in Kill La Kill. For the first half of the show it was about the lead seeking revenge against those that killed her father.

Then in the second half it was about seeking revenge about other reasons.

CHARACTER. DEVELOPMENT.

Blade and soul - 04

ARGGHHHHH

MY EYEEEEEEEES

my poor eyes...

This never was a beautifull anime but goddamn did it sink so looooooow

I don't know what is worse, this or the Dancing CG animation....

4 episodes and no money left already ???

Zeppeli

Banned
It's like in Kill La Kill. For the first half of the show it was about the lead seeking revenge against those that killed her father.

Then in the second half it was about seeking revenge about other reasons.

CHARACTER. DEVELOPMENT.

But Kill la Kill only had about 5 episodes that actually moved the plot forward and developed characters a visible amount

Jarmel

Banned
It's an upscale obviously, but it looks really good and really emphasizes just how crazy fucking good this show looked at it's best.

Funimation actually somewhat fucked up as the brightness is higher compared to the Japanese BDs.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71683
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71684

The banding issues are much more prominent and the colors look a little washed out in comparison.

Oh and speaking in general, I've been going through sakuga wiki and E7 really did have some phenomenal air sequences. It probably has the best air combat sequences in all of anime. The only two I can think of that might compare is Cowboy Bebop and CCA. TV series-wise, it's definitely at the top. The camerawork is absolutely phenomenal.

Zeppeli

Banned
Funimation actually somewhat fucked up as the brightness is higher compared to the Japanese BDs.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71683
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71684

The banding issues are much more prominent and the colors look a little washed out in comparison.

Oh and speaking in general, I've been going through sakuga wiki and E7 really did have some phenomenal air sequences. It probably has the best air combat sequences in all of anime. The only two I can think of that might compare is Cowboy Bebop and CCA. The camerawork is absolutely phenomenal.

Holy shit that rise in brightness brings in some fucking horrid colour banding.

Quasar

Hmm. Lists.

Best (new stuff) of Season So Far
One Week Friends
Mekakucity Actors
World is Still Beautiful

Enjoying it
No game no life
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Nanana's Buried Treasure

OK So Far
Mahouka
Dragonar
Baby Steps
Date a Live 2
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka
M3

Not watching
Everything else.

Zeppeli

Banned
I need some way to justify my $800 JP BDs. Based Funimation.

Like, that first link... Someone is getting paid to look at that and think, "Yup, this is completely okay. Everything is fine."

I did not expect the difference to be that drastic.

Hmm. Lists.

Best of Season So Far
One Week Friends
Mekakucity Actors
World is Still Beautiful

Enjoying it
No game no life
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Nanana's Buried Treasure

OK So Far
Mahouka
Dragonar
Baby Steps
Date a Live 2
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
M3

Not watching
Everything else.

Best catch up on your JoJo

jgminto

JoJo is only going to get worse until Dio's world, where it will get really, really good.

Part 4 is going to be the best transition from manga to anime. It's going to be fucking awesome.

Also, people - it's JoJo, not Jojo!
What? The best part of Stardust Crusaders is the journey to Egypt and Dio. Seeing the gang push their way through increasingly crazy and interesting stands is what makes the Adventure so satisfying. The final fight is good but it's not what makes Stardust so amazing. That's why the OVAs are such a poor version of it.

Zeppeli

Banned
What? The best part of Stardust Crusaders is the journey to Egypt and Dio. Seeing the gang push their way through increasingly crazy and interesting stands is what makes the Adventure so satisfying. The final fight is good but it's not what makes Stardust so amazing. That's why the OVAs are such a poor version of it.

I disagree. For the most part, part 3 is boring as hell. DIO's World redeems it. Part 4's slice of life esque build into the action along with keeping Jotaro, Joseph, etc relevant and involved and the almighty
Yoshikage Kira
is going to make it the GOAT, though.

Kurita

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom