• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. For the most part, part 3 is boring as hell. DIO's World redeems it. Part 4's slice of life esque build into the action along with keeping Jotaro, Joseph, etc relevant and involved and the almighty
Yoshikage Kira
is going to make it the GOAT, though.

There are a lot of good pieces in Part 3, like Oingo and Boingo, Hol Horse and the D'arby brothers spliced in there. I think it gets better once they reach Egypt

1398358390654tndlk.jpg
1398358454797svihi.jpg

Nanana's Buried Treasure 3

Screw it, I'm converting.

Tensai is best girl.

I'm so sorry, Manager-san.

Blade chick has potential.

Harem anime rankings this season! "Best" to worst. (Spoiler: None are actually good, but the first is closest.)

If Her Flag Breaks - This one is a silly and amusing harem comedy/action show. It's mostly a coimedy, but it has some serious moments as well; this isn't all light-hearted. The two sides are merged fairly well, though. The series is about a guy who can see the "flags" above peoples' heads showing what's going to happen to them or what they think of him, as if the world is a visual novel. Naturally he quickly starts amassing a sizable harem, but these girls don't really fight over him, so this isn't entirely typical stuff. The various characters are all extremely stereotypical for sure, though. Nothing original at all there. There's the rich and clueless girl, the childhood friend who calls him her "brother", the other childhood friend who is the "strong girl who then meets a stronger guy [him]" nailing down that awful sexist trope, etc. The main girl is a tsundere princess from a fictional European country. Etc. Despite this, the series is amusing, and at times I wonder
if it's all really real. This mysterious girl who gave the MC his powers, Sakura, told him that he needs to discover "the truth of the world". With how crazy this place is... IS this world real? Is it all a play, or a game, or something? Probably not -- as I said, most of what goes on is stereotypical harem stuff, complete with implausible events, plot holes (like, why doesn't Nanami have a flag for him yet? She clearly likes him!), etc, usual anime stuff -- but it's just weird enough that I'm not sure.
Regardless of that, I don't think this show could really surprise me, no matter what crazy direction it goes in -- it's nuts from the beginning. The sometimes silly comedy and crazy plot keep this interesting even if the characters are overly generic.

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to - This is a comedy about an incredibly panties-obsessed mangaka and his (female) assistants. Later some other staff from the manga magazine will appear too (including a guy or two). I've read this whole manga, and it's just amusing enough that I'll probably watch the whole. It's a short-episodes show, and as with the manga, it's so absurdly idiotic that it's kind of endearing at times. At other times it's just insultingly stupid, but at least there are some amusing parts in most episodes so far, so yeah, I'll keep watching. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the characters -- the crazy cast is definitely the best thing about that show. Every one of them is just so ridiculous in some way or other, it's silly stuff.

Hitsugi no Chaika - I'm not sure if this counts as harem or not, but... eh, close enough. HItsugi no Chaika isn't very good, but it IS better than the rest of this awful list here. That's saying very little, of course, though -- as with too many of these shows, this is yet another one with a (not-blood-related) sister who of course has incestuous feelings for the MC. At least here they didn't grow up together, but still, it's stupid. No, seeing her go yandere because she thinks he looked at Chaika for a moment or something isn't very funny. The other girl looks too young, and the main character is somewhat unlikeable and has bad goals, so yeah, the main cast is not great; Chaika is the best character of the three writing-wise, and she's negatively sexualized at times in disturbing ways. As for the story, it's okay, but quite stupid. This is an average-bad LN turned into an average-bad anime, with all of the ridiculous stupidity expected from such things... but the anime is in some ways worse than the source material, because they've cut whole CHAPTERS out of the anime versus the manga version! Episode one, for instance, cuts chapters one and three, and covers chapters 2 and 4. They make other changes as well, such as moving the confrontation in ep. 2 from a forest (in the manga) to a city (in the anime). Still, the action and story are okay and it's much more an action/adventure show than it is romance, so it's bearable, so far at least. I doubt I'll actually get through the whole series though.

Nanana's Buried Treasure - This is another okay but not that great show, sort of like the above but maybe a step below it. You've got a generic protagonist, a ghost girl, various other girls, a search for various superpowered objects she found back when she was alive but are now lost, etc. It's just ... meh, I don't know. I don't really care about the characters, the story isn't interesting enough to make me want to follow it and learn what happened to Nanana, and there isn't much else here either. If it'd all been like that treasure hunt in the first couple of seconds of ep. 1 it could have been fun, but as a harem romance/comedy/ghost drama/treasure hunt crossover? It tries to be a lot of things, but isn't all that good at any of them, at least on my first impression.

Now the stuff that is definitely bad. Bad-bad garbage tier here.

No Game No Life - All you really need to know about this one is that the MC is such a gentleman that he's going to hold off on having a relationship with his 11 year old sister who he has incestuous feelings for because she's just too young right now. But once she gets older... yeah. This show is drivel. The series has some amusing comedy bits, and the concept of a world where war is impossible and instead everything is done by games is occasionally interesting, but it's completely ruined by the idiotic relationship the main siblings have and the disturbing sexualization of a too young character. I'm not watching this anymore and nor should most people.

Mahouka - I wrote a long post explaining exactly why I hate this so much in the last thread. Look that up. At least I have kept away from from watching much of the anime, though (beyond what was necessary for that post), so I have some standards at least... between the one-of-the-most-overpowered-protagonists-ever main character and the stomach--churningly--obsessed incestuously inclined blood-related little sister, this series is far beyond redemption.

Have not watched yet:

Date-A-Live II - Ask me if I ever finish S1. This harem action show is okay but nothing special. And yes, it's yet ANOTHER show this season with a (not-blood-related) little sister as one of the main girls.

Hanamonogatari - I don't care for this franchise and won't be watching this one either.

Dragonar Academy - I've hard this is awful, so I should give it a try!

Kamigami no Asobi - This season's better-looking reverse harem show. I might watch this, sounds okay.

Kiniro no Corda - Uninteresting-looking reverse harem show.

cnet128

Banned
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka? 3

Aw yiss, new character Sharo is crazy cute, maybe the cutest character in the cast. And she's so yuri-able it's ridiculous, she literally has a viable pairing with every single one of the four other girls.

Cocoa: meet-cute > HEARTS EVERYWHERE
Chino: Wants to have as imouto
Rize: Senpai crush, buys romantic matching mugs
Chiya: Osananajimi, lives next door, takes baths together

In other news, just how many rabbit-themed cafés ARE there in this town?

survivor

Banned
Lists time again?

Great
Ping Pong

Good
Haikyuu
One Week Friends

Decent
The World is Still Beautiful
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Mekakucity Actors
Knights of Sidonia
Atelier Escha & Logy

Backlog
Mushishi S2
Maybe Wixoss

Bad
All the stuff I dropped so pretty much everything else from this season

Also getting close to finishing first season Spice and Wolf. Really enjoyable to see genuinely well written relationship between the two main characters.

CorvoSol

It's some art Yoshida did way back when the show had initially aired. It was supposed to be a promise/hint of Eureka/Renton's relationship.

..............................................................................................

-_-

-_-

-_-

Renton was gonna grow wings, though?

Also getting close to finishing first season Spice and Wolf. Really enjoyable to see genuinely well written relationship between the two main characters.

Welcome brother. You'll soon be joining the "shit why is there no season 3" brotherhood.

That's Boota from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which is arguably the best shounen and possibly anime ever made.

I'd agree that it is very good and among my favorite shows (maybe top 25), but I wouldn't say it's the best shonen, considering how many shows span that age group.

Zeppeli

Banned
Welcome brother. You'll soon be joining the "shit why is there no season 3" brotherhood.

I'd agree that it is very good and among my favorite shows (maybe top 25), but I wouldn't say it's the best shonen, considering how many shows span that age group.

Hence my use of the word "arguably", since the majority opinions still have it in their top 5. It's up there and is definitely one of the best.

fertygo

I disagree. For the most part, part 3 is boring as hell. DIO's World redeems it. Part 4's slice of life esque build into the action along with keeping Jotaro, Joseph, etc relevant and involved and the almighty
Yoshikage Kira
is going to make it the GOAT, though.

If SC is boring to you, I don't know how you can survive Part 4's pre-antagonist introduction.

Interesting to see shonen rankings among MAL's top anime list. If my shonen radar is correct among the first 33 shows in there, the ranking among the shone in there (ignoring other shows) is:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
2. Gintama
3. Hunter x Hunter 2011
4. Hajime No Ippo
5. Shingeki No Kyojin (prepare for GAF whining)
6. Kuroko No Basket
7. Gurren Lagann
8. Fairy Tail (what the fuck are you doing here)
9. Great Teacher Onizuka

Something is wrong though. GTO should be #1 in that list.

Interesting to see shonen rankings among MAL's top anime list. If my shonen radar is correct among the first 33 shows in there, the ranking among the shone in there (ignoring other shows) is:

2. Gintama
3. Hunter x Hunter 2011
4. Hajime No Ippo
6. Kuroko No Basket
7. Gurren Lagann
9. Great Teacher Onizuka

lol MAL

Zeppeli

Banned

2. Gintama
3. Hunter x Hunter 2011
4. Hajime No Ippo
6. Kuroko No Basket
7. Gurren Lagann
9. Great Teacher Onizuka

626.gif

That's Boota from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which is arguably the best shounen and possibly anime ever made.

I wouldn't call TTGL a shounen. It's the best anime I've ever seen in my life though.

Woof, you know the exact reason why Fairy Tail is ranked there.

Now that's not very nice. :( I really like Fairy Tail.

Sure, the anime has it's flaws and the author is one massive troll (that I happen to like), but at least it's fun!

Don't get me wrong, as a Shounen, it sits waaaaaayyy below Hunter X Hunter in terms of quality, but it holds a special place in my heart.

As far ranking goes

Really loving so far
Haikyuu
Mahouka
Mekakucity Actors(that ending though)
Hunter X Hunter

Still Good
Captain Earth
No Game No Life
Black Bullet

Still watching cause I'm honestly bored
Dragonar

Shit I'm about to drop
Sidonia

As for Ping Pong and JoJo I need to watch the rest of the episodes.

Shengar

2. Gintama
3. Hunter x Hunter 2011
4. Hajime No Ippo
6. Kuroko No Basket
7. Gurren Lagann
9. Great Teacher Onizuka

FMA:B is good to be there, but I don't have any problem with GTO being #1.

Dead

well not really...yet
Funimation actually somewhat fucked up as the brightness is higher compared to the Japanese BDs.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71683
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71684

The banding issues are much more prominent and the colors look a little washed out in comparison.

Oh and speaking in general, I've been going through sakuga wiki and E7 really did have some phenomenal air sequences. It probably has the best air combat sequences in all of anime. The only two I can think of that might compare is Cowboy Bebop and CCA. TV series-wise, it's definitely at the top. The camerawork is absolutely phenomenal.
Im not surprised, Funimation are pretty garbage.

Its actually a big reason why I buy so little anime now. Pretty much all remaining US distributors are garbage at image quality control (and overall presentation). If you want something decent you have to fork over the money for something R2 sourced (ie aniplex) or buy direct from Japan, and im not enough of an animu fan anymore to spend that kind of money (nevermind I can think of very few shows these days worth the premium either)

But the R2 Eureka sets didnt have enough added value for me to fork over the money so ill settle for this for now (plus I originally bought the R2 DVDs as well and that cost around $1000 total. Got your $800 beat :p Money I don't regret spending either FYI)

Blade and soul - 04 ( Continued )
I managed to keep watching the episode. The characters are ssooooo bad.. they all have intresting premises but goddam the execution and the application of everything they do is so broken.
Blade%20and%20Soul%20-%2004_02.jpg

Wait what ? you're a clan of assasins that use poisons but not as poisons ? So why are you teaching her about life in a FIELD OF POISON FLOWERS ??
First ... There was way too many :wonzo ? scenes .. for what ? FOR one less than 1 second scene that was decently animated. it isn't even worth a gif.

I just don't know anymore.
Second ,
Alka past , and character was supposed to be enhanced by those flashbacsk with her mentor but they painfully missed the highlight of her scene. It's like they are trying to leave a trail of bodies behind alka on purpose ... can you protect someone alka ? can you do something ? How many people are supposed to die every place you go ?
Are you Trying to be more useless than saya from Blood-C ?her death/episode ratio is nothing short of impressive.. and the next week preview put her again in the role of a bodyguard ? Excellent , the first attempt worked so well.

Alka personnality is barebones ..it's just not intresting and some scenes have barely any flow to them
Blade and soul was supposed to be a journey of redemption for the main heroine , they masterfully missed the point..The goal doesn't matter ..it's obvious what you're trying to do ... what matters in the journey , to keep the viewers intrested.
Alka barely talks , she doesn't have a personnality, her fights are one sided ( in one way or the other ) and there is NOTHING about her that make you keep watching..

Blade%20and%20Soul%20-%2004_03.jpg

What a twist !! I bet Nobody realised this except you !
"she doesn't have emotions , she is a monster !"
You bet...this would have been fine , if there was someone to counter balance alka lack of speech time. Someone to explain her circustances , to explain the world , someone for her to bond with ..There is none of that here.

How the hell did they miss the basic premise of what make a show great ? You must keep people intrested ..that's a MOST BASIC OF BASICS.
Don't put people talking about the main heroine while she is away , make the character talk to her.!! This is incredible she doesn't have anger, nor sadness she is a freaking blank state and EVEN kindness nor sadness affect her.

WHAT THE HELL?
Let me see :
-First episode , in charge of protecting a village.
Result : entire village decimated : 1 survivor ( + 50 dead at least ? )
-Second episode.
Quick passage in a big city ( less than a night )
Result : 3 dead
-Third episode
Alka meet the pleasure gang ( +40 people )
Result : Everyone dead except 3 survivors
-Fourth episode
Alka is "resting" because wounded
Result : 4 bandits dead + 1 thief kid ( dead too )

Saya , your track record as "best protector" is going to be beat i just can't believe it.

DROPPED
Unless i want to laugh at how bad it becomes

Good season so far.

Great:
Ping Pong
Mushishi S2

Good:
Jojo's Stardust Crusaders
One Week Friends
Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro

Way more entertaining than it has any right to be:

Kenzen Robo Daimidaler

I should drop these, but they keep pulling me back in:
Baby Steps
Nanana

Dropped out of disinterest:

Captain Earth

I hereby request that "does not use poison as poison" join others in the hilariously stupid anime lines vault. It'll be joining greats such as "People die if they are killed"

While I do like Fairy Tail that recent arc with the dragons really killed me, like how the hell did no one die, not even a single person died. I mean isn't a war supposed to have a few deaths especially if it's dealing with dragons. And also those asspulls and Nakama power.

cnet128

Banned
Ping Pong 3

We finally get Smile vs China, and it's a pretty intense spectacle. Dat humming machine.

Surprisingly, though, Smile's other match was just as interesting to watch.

I hereby request that "does not use poison as poison" join others in the hilariously stupid anime lines vault. It'll be joining greats such as "People die if they are killed"

i ..just can't .. the delivery of that line was just ... i don't have the words...

"Look at this! it's a poison that make people confused and is used to deceive and confuse the mind ! we of the clan of sword use poisons , but ...well not like the others , We only use poison to show the world that poison is bad !"

WTF

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Funimation actually somewhat fucked up as the brightness is higher compared to the Japanese BDs.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71683
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71684

The banding issues are much more prominent and the colors look a little washed out in comparison.

Oh and speaking in general, I've been going through sakuga wiki and E7 really did have some phenomenal air sequences. It probably has the best air combat sequences in all of anime. The only two I can think of that might compare is Cowboy Bebop and CCA. TV series-wise, it's definitely at the top. The camerawork is absolutely phenomenal.

Is there a single NA BD release of a back-catalog show that DOESN'T have banding and/or brightness issues and/or obliterated grain? (where applicable) If it's not reverse importation dickery, it's thanks to a market that won't pay a little more to have fewer episodes on more discs. I don't even get excited over license announcements/rescues for old shows anymore.

Kingdom 2 Episode 33

Well pretty fun episode though more talking than anything else.
This whole war went unexpected with it ending these six or so episodes before the end of the season. I dont know what else they can do to last until then unless theres tons of wrap up or some miniarc with Qiang Lei leaving, or maybe bring Sei and others back to being key characters?

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka? 3

In other news, just how many rabbit-themed cafés ARE there in this town?
Never enough.

While I do like Fairy Tail that recent arc with the dragons really killed me, like how the hell did no one die, not even a single person died. I mean isn't a war supposed to have a few deaths especially if it's dealing with dragons. And also those asspulls and Nakama power.

Well it wasn't an asspull , it's was just
time rewinding magic !
in fact it was an asspull ...

Wait ....

I mean for the sake of 1 character out of the picture for real , everyone survived !
Said character is out of the picture untill the author will present the way to bring her back , of course !

Fairy Tail is the only big weekly shonen action series I actually follow. It's fun stuff often enough to be worth it.

One of the things I really like about it is the constant changes to the world it makes. It happens faster than you expect. More often than not there's a pretty big game changer that sets into motion other events that happen in the series.

But if it has one bad thing that is honestly a guilty pleasure of mine with the show, is that I really like how much of a troll the author is.

Every single time you think the show is going to take a really dark turn, Hiro Mashima blows a whistle and everything descends into nakama power ups with badass theme music playing. And after a certain point in the show, you begin to notice the pattern. It happens every. Single. Arc.

I like this because I find it hilarious cause there are a lot of moments where you really think he's going to do something else for once, then NOPE!

Jarmel

Banned
The music in Ping Pong is so good. To be expected of anyone associated with Lama. I would love to see Nakamura work on some more anime.

Mendrox

Will love this thread when Wixoss takes the Madoka route soon. Wixoss is my favourite anime this season so far. :> watching black bullet, no game no life, jojo and mushishi and also kawaii complex too. All good. :)

USIGSJ

Kingdom 2 Episode 33

Well pretty fun episode though more talking than anything else.
This whole war went unexpected with it ending these six or so episodes before the end of the season. I dont know what else they can do to last until then unless theres tons of wrap up or some miniarc with Qiang Lei leaving, or maybe bring Sei and others back to being key characters?

One other char is going to get focus now. But things are really gonna heat up in the end. Can't wait for season 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom