• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
dgK3q9p.png

Ah, the memories.

But then the hat fell off, and anime died again.

Silly-Willy, GRRM will never finish ASOIAF!

I wonder who will.

The TV series. Considering that GRRM gave the producers a list of the events that will happen later on in the series. All they have to do is fill in the holes between each bullet point.

Do not do this. Its pacing issues crop up very late and do not stick around. Doesn't change how amazing the payoff of the current arc will be.

Yeah while I'm annoyed with the pacing issues it hasn't happened throughout the anime, just this last 'act' of the current, and longest, arc. I keep hearing the payoff is amazing, but I've been waiting for it.

Deserved. It had a lot of hype but it didn't fulfill it wholly. It at least tried to though with it's art style, animation and having a promising premise.

Kill la Kill unlike AoT was hyped up as "anime's savior" and it fell flat on it's face. It didn't fulfill anything nor did it deserve any hype it got.

Oh. When you say 'deserved' I think as in 'if the show itself deserved to have this much hype around it'. KlK coming from Trigger right off Little Witch Academy's heels (and ofc the performance of Gurren Lagann) seems like it would afford the show a lot of hype. It just didn't deliver on/'fulfill' a lot of it.

Man that last page was like reading some kind of limbo, Kill La Kill and Space Dandy were both fantastic, I will agree AoT is very over rated and has problems but it's still enjoyable

Majin Bone 3

This series has the strangest waifu/love interest I think I've ever seen in anime.

Eusis

Hahaha. So what's going to save anime next? SAO II?

FMA?

More often then not it's the anime that don't get hyped that end up surprising all of us.
Dragon Collectors.

And yeah, the best stuff seems to always come out of nowhere, or at best it's some weird thing only you and a few others were interested in and suddenly everyone loves it, like Katamari Damacy or Demon's Souls.
Sometimes I wish the "Saving anime" thing would die but then I remember its origins which came from that Fractale anime and I'm suddenly okay with it again.
Is that actually any good? I was interested earlier on just because I liked the artwork they put out but never followed up on it.
But then the hat fell off, and anime died again.
Is that why no one talks about it while they still bring up Utena? Or is it just because of everyone wanting Firehawk to watch that?

cnet128

Banned
Oh, thought HxH remained consistent. Can scratch that one off the ol' "to watch" list.

Bad move. Hunter x Hunter only has slow pacing for this one part of this one arc, and it's a very deliberate decision that I wouldn't say is much of a negative because all the shit going down deserves this kind of meticulous attention. It can perhaps get a little frustrating watching week-to-week, but if you're not up-to-date right now you don't even need to worry about that =p

Has their been an anime where it was hyped up but it actually fulfilled its hype.

SAO Season 2 will
for the hate watchers

Also if people want the real Hunter x Hunter experience every 5-10 episodes they should stop and waiting 6-12 months before watching the next 5-10 during the finale of the current arc :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So then how DOES the card game work then? Do you use cards to power up a fighter and try to beat your opponents fighter in a card senshi battle type thing? How will I know if I want to play the card game from watching a Senshi type show?

No idea, but "like [character/object x], buy the product of [character/object x]!" is the basic message of any merchandise-driven entertainment product. The intended consumer psychology here is that even if you don't know how the game plays, you'll buy it because you enjoy the show.

Majin Bone 3

This series has the strangest waifu/love interest I think I've ever seen in anime.

Girl of the season so far.

Andrew J.

Non Non Biyori 04

There was a discussion here a few days ago about stakes in relation to the recent crop of sports anime, and someone said that it's most necessary for stakes to be important to the characters, and that they don't have to objectively be some kind of big deal.

This episode demonstrated the truth of that proposition, I think. What happened to Renge was not objectively important (she made a new friend, hung out with her for a few days, and got sad when she suddenly had to leave) but the show did such a good job of making it important to Renge that I really shared in her joy, her sadness and her renewed joy when she got the letter from Honoka.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is that why no one talks about it while they still bring up Utena? Or is it just because of everyone wanting Firehawk to watch that?
Utena remains the better show. Penguin Drum is still pretty good, but it has some planning issues in that Ikuhara knew what he wanted from the start but didn't use his episodes as well as he could have in getting there.

cnet128

Banned
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei OVA (BD vol 1)

Delicious onsen episode is delicious. Also I am amused by the fact that Benio's sheer force of perversion allows her to match the physical capabilities of actual supernatural creatures.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei OVA (manga vol 5)

Flashbacks to the characters as kids. Little Kobeni was adorable, and watching little Benio get up to essentially the same sort of things as she does in the present day was entertaining (mostly because Kobeni being too innocent to actually mind any of her antics gave the whole thing a different flavour). Their game of house was hilarious and singlehandedly made me appreciate Nadeshiko as a character. Wish we saw more of her now.

Majin Bone 1

Even with the cheesily bad opening 3d battle scene, this was fairly good. I can see why people are saying the non-battle stuff is the best stuff. But what was up with those sound effects in the battle? It looks like they googled "walking sound effects" and just looped the same sound for each step.

Also

Best character.

wonzo

Banned
7Seeds is basically LOST but actually good and well thought out.

Oh, thought HxH remained consistent. Can scratch that one off the ol' "to watch" list.
I'm like 50 eps behind and the Chimera Ant arc does have pacing problems later on but the high points make it well worth it.

hunterxhunter291.jpg

7Seeds is basically LOST but actually good and well thought out.

I'm like 50 eps behind but the Chimera Ant arc does have pacing problems later on but the high points make it well worth it.

hunterxhunter291.jpg

I think the anime JUST got to this scene.
God I love the Chimera Ant finale.

Kazzy

Kill la Kill unlike AoT was hyped up as "anime's savior" and it fell flat on it's face. It didn't fulfill anything nor did it deserve any hype it got.

I don't begrudge people liking Kill la Kill, but it most certainly pales when compared to animes that execute on that particular style much more effectively (TTGL). The actual thread for the show was a very weird place to be when the show was airing - a whole host of people seemingly in denial, affording the show a whole host of false subtext that wasn't actually there.

Which will happen first:
  • GRRM finishes ASOIAF
  • Luffy finds the One Piece
  • Eren finds the basement
  • Firehawk watches Utena.

Well, One Piece is still probably about 15 years away from reaching that point, so that one probably happens last.

I guess Eren finding the basement happens first, unless that gets stretched out over the next 4-5 years allowing GRRM to finish first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom