• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Stardust Crusaders 4

Oh man this show. Never a dull moment, haha.

"I am never getting in a plane with you again." Joseph still probably my favorite.

Theonik

Capn' Earf 05
ibhUpDjxdNdmx3.png
iFWvcjWh0mW3R.png

Capn' Earf V: The Brown Strikes Back
In this episode we find out Tepei's dad is Big Boss and Tepei himself is Solid Snake.
Good episode.

It's a mascot. Like Luna in Sailor Moon, or Kero in Cardcaptor Sakura, or that bird thing in Yamibou. Don't you know that every show with a young girl in the main cast needs a
terrible
mascot?
Hey, Kero-chan was the best.

Jintor

tbh I never did find out the difference. I know there ARE differences... I just don't know what they are.

Like, they tried to edit it so Li was more of a main character? But I was, like, 6 or something when I saw Cardcaptors, and then at some later date I saw Cardcaptor Sakura, and I was too young to know the difference really.

Unsolicited opinion here, but DTB s1 was some good stuff. Only complaint was that each 2ep sub-plot were a bit too self contained, but overall it worked well.

No problem, the more the merrier.

I actually liked that 2-episode sequence. The individual arcs linked essentially by the protagonist was a nice narrative style I thought.
Some were pretty self-contained I agree, but not all. Some parts built off past mini-arcs.

cnet128

Banned
ibdyp00Tr8Hbav.png

cnet please.

Well, it's truuuuuuue. The only things Moonlight is good for are a) being crazy OP in battle, b) bringing a "novel" element to the series due to the whole veteran angle, and c) having occasional emotional scenes due to the various tragedies that happen to her (
Cologne's death, father's identity reveal/asplosion
).

I'd argue that she isn't particularly necessary for point a) since Sunshine was doing a perfectly good job at the badass fighter role before she showed up, while b) and c) aren't really positives about her actual character, they're just well-conceived plot elements that happen to centre around her. Moonlight herself is a dull character whose screentime would have been much better devoted to moar Marine or Sunshine.

phaze

Saint Seiya Omega 41-50

Well. Aside from the fact that they never said darkness cosmo was ever outright evil by itself (they just listed it like a normal element in the early episodes), I don't particularly mind this... but why is a Mesopotamian god the final big boss? Religion in this show is weird.

:lol Making sense of Gods in the SS universe is an impossibility.

Saint Seiya (1986) 01

"Have you ever felt your Cosmo?"

Okay, Seiya has had more personality in one episode than Koga did in 51. I'm very excited. Though this does kind of make me wonder why there are people in Omega who've never heard of Saints, since they don't seem to be hiding it at ALL in this, considering Athena is having a public Bronze tournament for all to see.

Hey, you're not supposed to know she's Athena yet ! :p Enjoy those gallons of blood.

Seeing you're seemingly on the Saint Seiya binge, don't forget about Lost Canvas. Best part of the franchise even if unfinished.

Hunter x Hunter 128

Ugh lame revival is lame.

Seeing as no one should be able to touch Meruem now, I can only guess that enlightened by his previous experiences, he will have a major paradigm shift. Well that or the number 1 dick of a father of hunterverse will finally crawl from whatever hole he has lived up till now.

Black Hat

My current season ranking (not including continuing shows):

1. Black Bullet
2. No Game No Life
3. Nanana's Buried Treasure
4. Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
5. Hitsugi no Chaika
6. Gokukoku no Brynhildr
7. Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
8. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
9. Soul Eater NOT!
10. Mekakucity Actors
11. Selector Infected WIXOSS
12. Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
13. Seikoku no Dragonar (dropped)
14. Akuma no Riddle (dropped)

JoeFu

Banned
CR has been working pretty well for me lately. For the longest time I couldn't watch anything that wasn't a current season show without constant stuttering and episodes just ending 4 minutes in.

Yesterday was a different story though... Going back to being crap for me.

Jintor

Dusk Maiden 9

I am thou, thou art I. From the sea of your soul, I BLARGH TIME TO EAT YOU

God, I wish this show had a bigger budget or better animators or something. All these tricks with depiction are fantastic, but imagine how they'd look if the rest of the show actually looked great as well.

301401000395stjfn.jpg

Ah, well that explains where DAL Encore 2 went. Turns out it's finally releasing on 20 May, about a year after the first one. Then Encore 3's being released in December accompanied by the Kurumi Star Festival OVA and my death.

Saint Seiya Omega 51 (S1 END)

I guess the action in this one was sort of nice, but this episode as a finale for the season bugged me, since there's not denouement at all. The battle ends and then... that's it. Sure, Koga gets one scene with Aria, but honestly it feels incomplete.

Oh, and I'm still kind of annoyed that they never even say why the dark cosmo is a bad thing. Like ever. So Koga's sheer insistence not to do anything with it sucked my enjoyment a tad.

Probably hoping on to the original Saint Seiya in a bit, since I hear S2 of Omega is more focused on references to the older stuff.
I warn you , if you continue you'll have to bear to see something very annoying for the next 25 eps.
Continue at your own risk.
Soul Eater Not!

The Yuri undertones get stronger by the week. We may have full on scissoring by the end of the season.

One can only hope :3
Hell yeah
Well, it's truuuuuuue. The only things Moonlight is good for are a) being crazy OP in battle, b) bringing a "novel" element to the series due to the whole veteran angle, and c) having occasional emotional scenes due to the various tragedies that happen to her (
Cologne's death, father's identity reveal/asplosion
).

I'd argue that she isn't particularly necessary for point a) since Sunshine was doing a perfectly good job at the badass fighter role before she showed up, while b) and c) aren't really positives about her actual character, they're just well-conceived plot elements that happen to centre around her. Moonlight herself is a dull character whose screentime would have been much better devoted to moar Marine or Sunshine.
You're aware of what she bring to the table, so you're not entirely delusional. No way moonlight is worst.. NO way. i actually agree that part of sunshine develloppement stopped once moonlight arrive but that'snot moonlight fault. Dark precure was there from day one.
301401000395stjfn.jpg

Ah, well that explains where DAL Encore 2 went. Turns out it's finally releasing on 20 May, about a year after the first one. Then Encore 3's being released in December accompanied by the Kurumi Star Festival OVA and my death.

Do not worry , you won't die , she will just steal a bit of your time :)

I watched the Mushishi special/OVA/thing thinking it was the first episode of the new season (it is marked "episode 1" on my Crunchyroll PS3 app and rather confusingly placed next to the actual first episode of the season) and was totally not expecting either the doubled length or the startling initial absence of Ginko. It wasn't bad by any means, but I do feel like both of those things made for a loss of some of the intangible magic of the first season. The concision allowed for by a twenty minute space is part of what makes each little self-contained story in the series so satisfying, I think.

I didn't have time to watch any more, but I'm stuck on bed rest for the remainder of the week so I imagine that'll change.

I thought the OVA was very good, easily it can be put amongst the best episodes of the first season.

cajunator

Banned
Nisekoi 17

why do we have to choose just one girl : (

I knowwwww

I can't believe I've gotten to the point where I'm actively hoping the next Chaika episode is mediocre enough that I can use it to justify dropping the series.

Which would still leave me with a mere 14 shows this season.

You are certainly ambitious!

I think Joseph is more fun in Stardust Crusaders than he was in Battle Tendency. Such an awesome old man.

My only experience with Cardcaptor Sakura was Cardcaptors so it's not like I'd know.

You poor thing :(

Season 2 of Darker than Black took everything I liked of the first season and shat on it.

Except it gave us Suou and made everything better.

2 more days. I can make it!

Thats just till you become a member (possibly). Can still get banned so just be careful!

301401000395stjfn.jpg

You are so adorable

sonicmj1

Kino's Journey 4

This show gets dark sometimes.

I'm kind of reluctant to talk too specifically about what happens, but I'm growing to appreciate just how well this show sets a mood. The shading is very flat and the world is sketched very simply, but that means that simple changes in lighting and framing have a big impact.

The climax of the episode was really striking, and I think what was most impressive about it was how the framing shifts between Kino's perspective and the perspective of the villagers. One side is struck by a violent tragedy, and the other is incapable of registering it. That makes it all the more disturbing.

Syrinx

2 more days. I can make it!

Famous last words.

I watched the Mushishi special/OVA/thing thinking it was the first episode of the new season (it is marked "episode 1" on my Crunchyroll PS3 app and rather confusingly placed next to the actual first episode of the season) and was totally not expecting either the doubled length or the startling initial absence of Ginko. It wasn't bad by any means, but I do feel like both of those things made for a loss of some of the intangible magic of the first season. The concision allowed for by a twenty minute space is part of what makes each little self-contained story in the series so satisfying, I think.

I didn't have time to watch any more, but I'm stuck on bed rest for the remainder of the week so I imagine that'll change.

Are you sick? Get better if you're sick.

fertygo

Damn, because someone mentioning Darker than Black, its make me listening the OPs again.. its still so good, dat delicious Takenori's english. Shit, this make me want to rewatch the show... but that gonna remind me to some bitter fact ;_;

Another 1-3 - Nope. Nope. Nope. I had no idea what this was going in, but after the third episode I'm gonna have to shelve it. Since I do the majority of my anime watching on my tablet before going to sleep I can't be spending that time watching people get impaled through the neck by umbrellas. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

cnet128

Banned
Kino's Journey 4

I think what was most impressive about it was how the framing shifts between Kino's perspective and the perspective of the villagers. One side is struck by a violent tragedy, and the other is incapable of registering it. That makes it all the more disturbing.

They're grown-ups, they're just able to deal with these things!*

*for "grown-ups", read "inhuman monsters"

Tenumi

Banned
Guilty Crown: 01

I've got to say, this is visually and musically impressive. I'm obviously aware of the reputation of the show, but hey, I've loved shows that most people hated, and hated shows most people loved, I learned long ago to form my own opinions on these things.

cnet128

Banned
Guilty Crown: 01

I've got to say, this is visually and musically impressive. I'm obviously aware of the reputation of the show, but hey, I've loved shows that most people hated, and hated shows most people loved, I learned long ago to form my own opinions on these things.

Your opinion seems to be right in line with the majority here, though.

"Visually and musically impressive, pity about the story" is basically what I took away from the show.

Midonin

No Game No Life 05

Steph is just the kind of character I like to watch. Yoko Hikasa gets to act all exasperated, and it's adorable. She's got a good head on her shoulders, too, even if she is prone to going off the hinge at times. Just as determined as Blank, but without the skill to back it up. Shiro herself is making some major strides towards cute, too. Not on the level of anybody in GochiUsa, but she can almost match Chino. A nice transitory episode between the end of the first arc and the start of the next, but the real highlight was Yukarin as the Englishy angel. Next week is going to be fun.

-Horizon-

A Game Called Life 5

Oh Steph. I didn't think that just adding glasses to her character would make her that much cuter than she already was but it did.

Hunter x Hunter 85:

Hard to believe this is Shonen series. So brutal. Not that I am complaining. After slowish start this is actually pretty decent show. Doesn't surpass king of shonen (One Piece) for me but still very enjoyable.

duckroll

One Week Weirdos - Episode 5

You know, this might be just what the show needs to keep it going. I wonder if SDBurton is watching this, because it seems to be a case study of how :sdburton is the real solution to all troubles, no matter how convoluted. Power of the garden, etc. I really like this new girl for some reason. Her voice, her personality, the way she moves, everything about it is so weird, but it seems to bring the best out of Fujimiya. If only dresden could have her same outlook on life, he would be able to enjoy this show too regardless of how stupid Fujimiya's ailment is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom