• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Love Getchu 04-09

The episode that began and ended this run are playing on the growing love triangle/other geometric shape that's forming here. Yurika and Momoko have too strong of a friendship and the voice acting focus is strong enough that I don't think the love triangle will ever overtake it, but it's a tricky business with these things. I'm always at least somewhat wary where, in a series where romance is only an element, that it may someday overwhelm the story. That hasn't happened yet.

The middle batch of episodes was a nice round of focus episodes for everyone who isn't Momoko. It's all things I've seen in anime before, including an inter-company relay race (not quite to iM@S scale). The crazy car chase in 4 wasn't quite to Polyphonica levels, but it was up there, if more consistent. Momoko's habit of giving people advice based on SkaLove is cute, to the point where Amane's already making jokes about it in episode 8. And while I've never seen Master of Mosquiton, the segment with the girls dubbing over a parody of it in 9 made me curious.

estzTQX.jpg

Space Sheriff Dandy?

Episode 6 and 8 both stood out, for different reasons. Tsubasa's amusement park date had all the usual hijinks, but it was also a stealth yuri episode. So close to turning Lambda Eight into a garden of purity. I do like the contrast of a girlish voice actress who wants to play boy parts and a boyish voice actress who wants to play girl parts. Nothing unusual, but the show's got enough charm that it can pull it off.

And then there's episode 8. Amane's dad is more or less Ken Matsudaira.

dDABL18.jpg

5EjErlH.jpg

Speaking of references.

He also voiced by Norio Wakamoto and, in a more current at the time reference, brings the ninjas from Ninin ga Shinobuden with him. The ninja fun house was enjoyable, but the presence of Wakamoto the man bumps this episode up at least a notch or two.

Speaking of Amane, that she succeeded in the special promotion in episode 9 because of technical things and not because of passion is most likely an accurate representation of the voice acting industry, as accurate as an anime based on a cellphone game can be. There's room for passion, and I love it coming from Momoko, but it's not going to win her any prizes here.

Also, it's only episode 9. There's a whole cour to go.

Articalys

And hey, now I'm actually caught up again... not that I'm going to get any responses to my responses, since it's almost the middle of the night and this page will be long gone by morning, so I'm not sure why I bothered.

Episodes!

Hitsugi no Chaika ep.2

I think it's a combination of Chaika being cute and the plot actually being set in motion that's barely keeping my interest in this show. Almost everyone else's character desgins seem kind of stupid. Hopefully episode 3 has something interesting.

Attack on Titan OAD 2

Ah, I love it when a normally super-serious show has the chance to kick back and not take itself seriously at all.
The Jean ver. OP, Sasha being amazing the whole episode, that goddamn reaction from Pixis and then the "everyone's a titan" joke from one of the manga volume fake previews... ahahahahahahahaha

No Game No Life ep.2

Equal parts stupid and absolutely hilarious. Matsuoka must be a riot to watch in the recording studio for this role, he's hamming it up so much.
That "forced love" thing was really stupid though and I was worried it was going to ruin the series, but thankfully it looks like it was only used as a plot device to get them to the palace and for a few other quick jokes before she started falling for him for real... for some reason.

Once Mekaku ep.2 airs on Saturday I'll have at least two episodes of everything underway and can start to make some preliminary rankings.

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 20

Scene where Sasami was talking to Pixy Misa inside of Misao's heart was pretty damn real, how she explained how she and Misao were two sides of the same coin and how she was the side of Misao that was frustrated with who she was and wanted to reject Sasami for thinking of Misao as somebody who needed to be protected. Sasami accepting her anyway and them passing out holding each other's hands was very sweet.

And the end with Misao surprising Sasami with the Pixy Misa wig and outfit was hilarious, and also a great moment since it shows that Misao has accepted that side of her as well. But since she didn't transform into her (she was wearing the wig), where did she get that wig and outfit? Eh, who cares. Maybe some cosplay shop was selling it or something.

Shergal

I know it was posted like 10 pages ago, but I love this part on Bahi's interview where he just goes full nerd and starts talking about shutter speeds and the way Iso filmed his scene in EoE for like 4 paragraphs. Not only it's interesting and relevant to my interests, it's actually something new and interesting being said about that sequence which has to be one of the most discussed animation segments in anime, lol.
I had actually never thought of that scene in the sense that it's filmed like in a documentary, taking into account how a real person witnessing the mecha fight would be capturing it from afar. But now that he mentions it, it really feels like a logical extension of Iso's approach to movement.

Branduil

I know it was posted like 10 pages ago, but I love this part on Bahi's interview where he just goes full nerd and starts talking about shutter speeds and the way Iso filmed his scene in EoE for like 4 paragraphs. Not only it's interesting and relevant to my interests, it's actually something new and interesting being said about that sequence which has to be one of the most discussed animation segments in anime, lol.
I had actually never thought of that scene in the sense that it's filmed like in a documentary, taking into account how a real person witnessing the mecha fight would be capturing it from afar. But now that he mentions it, it really feels like a logical extension of Iso's approach to movement.

That was pretty cool. I wish Iso was still doing stuff.

Chaika – The Coffin Princess 2

This was surprisingly enjoyable, I like how the action/chase sequences play out with the MC using his rogue talents. At least Bones is giving us one good show this season.

Mature

He's a great voice to have around. We get next to nothing in terms of people who actually work in the industry being vocal about the process of production.

Hunter X Hunter 125

Gon you really are fucked up, dem eyes look ready to shoot beams out. Anyways the tension in Gon's room is really amazing like seriously ain't nobody messing around. On old mans side damn he sure does like bitch slapping the King, but those action scenes were really great. I got to say Netero got some style with his heart symbol, showing his affection.

Mahou Shoujo Taisen 02

Magical girls can't catch a break.

Jewelpet Tinkle 18-19

Witches and friendship, oh my.

Hitsugi no Chaika 02

Oh well this totally sounds like Scrapped Princess now. Still decent enough at least the action.

Articalys

10k-ish a volume? Arti would probably know better

without more knowledge, I'd say it's doing well
I'll borrrow something's notes from last week's list.
Kill La Kill v4 sells 7893/1120, total 9,013. Best first week sales so far, and should blow past v3 next week. However, a large part of this is that the show is over now, so that long tail we’ve been seeing should dry up for this vol onward. People who decided to pick it up as the final episodes aired (and who made v1-2 keep ranking so long) have already started buying, and this and future volumes will probably only rank 2, maybe 3 times. But as long as they get enough sales in wk1, it should stay consistent. 10k is still more a stretch than not, but it’s not completely impossible or anything.

[once the extended list was revealed later in the week]

Speaking of…
v1 adds 526 BDs, total 12,926 in wk13, meaning it added 1540 in wks 8-12.
v2 adds 527 BDs, total 11,350 in wk9, meaning it added 528 in wk8.
v3 adds 674 BDs, total 10,433 in wk5, meaning it added 598 in wk4.
The average is now nearly 11k despite v4 only having ranked once so far. 10k suddenly looks much, much more likely. A volume popping up after 6 weeks to toss 2k more onto the pile sure works wonders doesn’t it?

Instro

How the hell do those of you with full-time jobs keep up with the thread? It's virtually impossible.

I used to do ok, at least for a while after I got my job. Added a girlfriend to the mix last year and am now less inclined to keep up with this thread and prefer to use my free time to actually watch anime/play games or whatever. I do check in from time to time however.

Pocket Monsters X/Y 22

7urmx4Kl.jpg

A good filler episode when you consider how boring Ambrette Town is in the game.

Pretty interesting to see Serena almost tried her first Pokemon capture and the whole gang gets fishing rods that will hopefully get some use some year in the future.

Syrinx

Tenchi Universe 5

Kiyone's arrival was pretty funny and basically what I expected after seeing her and Mihoshi interact in Pretty Sammy. To see her partner in some remote place getting chummy with the most wanted criminal in the galaxy, as well as two missing princesses from Jurai and the universe-famous mad scientist, yeah. Probably not what she expected to see when she got there.

problem i have with mahouka so far is that... well there is no problem. like there ain't any conflict or anything really.

nothing good or bad about the show... shits just boring.

cajunator

Banned
Majin Bone has my favorite ED of the season. I dub this band "Japanese Ramones"

they join other japanese version of bands such as "Japanese System of a Down" from the second OP of Death Note.

I like these equivalencies.

She's like 9.

Dont make fun of older people.

I now change my answer to "Fate/Zero blu-ray becomes affordable"

It already is though.

How the hell do those of you with full-time jobs keep up with the thread? It's virtually impossible.

love and dedication. and mobile. I check Gaf while standing in line at the grocery store.

Kino's Journey - 1
The scan lines and music give this a very intriguing aesthetic; like a broadcast from another era buried away for decades. It also has this very caustic atmosphere about it due to Hermes' ever-present concerns and questions about Kino's well-being as well as the man's story of how the city grew distant.

It's all presented in such a contemplative fashion that it's easy for me to enjoy. My only gripe so far are those messages scattered throughout the episode. Now only do I agree with sonicmj1 that they halt the mood that the show creates rather well, but they feel redundant too.

The messages are probably the one thing I would omit from it. Otherwise its pretty perfect with its atmosphere and effect.

Link Man

Banned
Hanamaru Kindergarten 7

iMVmXSG5HbjzL.jpg

A much better episode than the previous. Got some nice backstory (and I loved the fact that Tuschi was playing a GBA SP in the first flashback) and Tuschida is finally starting to grow a backbone. And of course, it was really cute.

I need to resume watching it. The Chimera Ant arc sapped my motivation to keep going.

Admittedly it's gone on longer than it needed to go. But as far as I know after Chimera there's only like one more full arc then it reaches the manga's hiatus.

It would suck to have that happened. Not like it'd ever happen to something like Berserk since the movies are released so far apart lololol..

I made myself sad :'(

fertygo

I need to resume watching it. The Chimera Ant arc sapped my motivation to keep going.

In which episode you stopped? I think I'm grateful I followed it weekly than marathon it first before this arc, its perfect for the slow-burn pacing.

I love the arc a lot since Komugi introduction (the girl in the current ending if you already seen it)

HxH already maintaining its consistency for almost 3 year now, its pretty remarkable.

In which episode you stopped? I think I'm grateful I followed it weekly than marathon it first before this arc, its perfect for the slow-burn pacing.

I love the arc a lot since Komugi introduction (the girl in the current ending if you already seen it)

HxH already maintaining its consistency for almost 3 year now, its pretty remarkable.

It was after episode 80. It's not that I disliked what I was watching, just that I had already watched so much and it wasn't grabbing me, so I decided to give it some breathing room before I started again. But yeah, that's the danger of marathoning long shows.

Admittedly it's gone on longer than it needed to go. But as far as I know after Chimera there's only like one more full arc then it reaches the manga's hiatus.

It would suck to have that happened. Not like it'd ever happen to something like Berserk since the movies are released so far apart lololol..

I made myself sad :'(
How much longer do you think the remaining material is going to run for? Will it finish after Summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom