• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Puchimas!! - 04

U6TT5ze.png
ymMp5yL.png

Haruka taking pictures of the love of her life. Awwwww!

Puchimas!!- 05

7AE9P9z.png
YacGa2z.png

Love can turn anyone into a poet. You go Yukiho!

Shoutouts to the OTPs (or TTPs) of iM@S. :D

It was after episode 80. It's not that I disliked what I was watching, just that I had already watched so much and it wasn't grabbing me, so I decided to give it some breathing room before I started again. But yeah, that's the danger of marathoning long shows.

How much longer do you think the remaining material is going to run for? Will it finish after Summer?

You're asking the wrong guy, I haven't read the manga. But it seems like it'd go until end of summer yes, assuming they don't take breaks.

Dresden

Harmonie -

Patlabor yesterday, this today, Ping Pong tomorrow. This has been a good week, animu-wise.

7YmOPJ5.jpg

^ NPC Vision

The beginning made me expect something like a serious version of chuu2. The hushed bullying and the assumed hierarchy that keeps Kasuga and friends in check mostly serves as a line to be crossed, though, and the uneasy tension in the beginning that’s so delightfully unsettling quickly takes a backseat to the connection Kasuga makes with the girl and the vision of Harmonie that obsesses her. Not that this is a bad thing, I was pretty satisfied with how it turned out.

I liked the misunderstanding that characterizes Kasuga's relationship to the girl in the end; it's kind of sad, because he clearly fills the niche that she's never been able to fill before (h-h-how lewd), but there's just the sense that he'll never understand her in the way she craves. He's fascinated by her, but ultimately it's the fascination one might have for a glittering gem or the exposed torso of a robot. He'll never tell her - because he doesn't want to hurt her, because he wants her, because he's selfish and human - and it's all, like, bittersweet. The start of their relationship, whatever relationship they’ll have, and the end of the episode is defined more by the distance left between them than the vision or dream or empathic burst they shared.

So yeah, good watch. I was pretty amused by the similarities to the relationship in Flowers of Evil, not the anime, but the second part of the manga. The way that relationship ends is quite different from how things turned out here, though. Maybe it’s the importance of honesty? Or maybe Oshimi just turned into a sap.

fertygo

It was after episode 80. It's not that I disliked what I was watching, just that I had already watched so much and it wasn't grabbing me, so I decided to give it some breathing room before I started again. But yeah, that's the danger of marathoning long shows.

How much longer do you think the remaining material is going to run for? Will it finish after Summer?

Yeah I think you need to space it a little bit, I probably will snap if just reaching this arc just after long marathon. Followed it weekly really helping IMO

From what people said this arc only have 7-9 episode left and probably will bring end of this adaptation.

Harmonie -

So yeah, good watch. I was pretty amused by the similarities to the relationship in Flowers of Evil, not the anime, but the second part of the manga. The way that relationship ends is quite different from how things turned out here, though. Maybe it’s the importance of honesty? Or maybe Oshimi just turned into a sap.

This reminds me, do we know who was responsible for the writing/script in this? Was it Yoshiura?

Jex

I know it was posted like 10 pages ago, but I love this part on Bahi's interview where he just goes full nerd and starts talking about shutter speeds and the way Iso filmed his scene in EoE for like 4 paragraphs. Not only it's interesting and relevant to my interests, it's actually something new and interesting being said about that sequence which has to be one of the most discussed animation segments in anime, lol.
I had actually never thought of that scene in the sense that it's filmed like in a documentary, taking into account how a real person witnessing the mecha fight would be capturing it from afar. But now that he mentions it, it really feels like a logical extension of Iso's approach to movement.
Good read, thanks.

There's one more arc after Chimera Ant which only last 20 chapters as opposed to the Chimer Ant's whopping 132. Right now, we're a little under 50 chapters from being caught up, so depending on how things are paced, ending by late summer/early fall is definitely a possibility.

Dresden

hitsugi no chaika - 02

This is really silly and dumb. It's like a DnD campaign novelized and adapted for anime, right down to the part where Chaika casts Glyph of Warding and the random schmucks fail their saving throws. The fact that they're essentially trying to revive the in-universe version of Vecna is enough to keep me watching for now.

It looks like they'll catch up with the manga next episode. And after reading the manga, I'm . . . okay with the eyebrows now. :(

Narag

hitsugi no chaika - 02

This is really silly and dumb. It's like a DnD campaign novelized and adapted for anime, right down to the part where Chaika casts Glyph of Warding and the random schmucks fail their saving throws. The fact that they're essentially trying to revive the in-universe version of Vecna is enough to keep me watching for now. :(

It looks like they'll catch up with the manga next episode.

Sounds sort of appealing. Feel like I'm on a fantasy anime kick as is anyhow so may give it a whirl.

hitsugi no chaika - 02

This is really silly and dumb. It's like a DnD campaign novelized and adapted for anime, right down to the part where Chaika casts Glyph of Warding and the random schmucks fail their saving throws. The fact that they're essentially trying to revive the in-universe version of Vecna is enough to keep me watching for now.

It looks like they'll catch up with the manga next episode. And after reading the manga, I'm . . . okay with the eyebrows now. :(

Yeah it has a very old school fantasy feeling to it, which I love. I scratched that itch a bit with Lodoss, but this looks like it'll have good animated action. And now you're making me worried about what happens to her. Maybe she loses the eyebrows in a fire.

Gazoinks

hitsugi no chaika - 02

Huh, this description has interested me. Will check out tomorrow.

duckroll

Chaika - Episode 2

I'm enjoying this. The action is well directed, even if the animation in this episode is nothing particularly impressive the way it was storyboarded was pretty fun to watch. I like the setting and characters too, mostly because it literally is Scrapped Princess all over again. I loved that show, but I think the author can probably only write one type of story. It's the same stuff all over again - ancient prophecy, princess with the power to change the world, princess is an innocent girl who wants something mundane and peaceful, protected by two older siblings who are super powerful, the whole world wants to kill the princess, their quest will lead them to uncover the "truth" of the world, etc. Oh and while everyone in Scrapped Princess was named after a gun or something, everyone here is named after a car. It's hilarious.

Sure there's nothing particularly original about this show, but I think there's generally a lack of fantasy anime these days which are as "generic" as the tone here, which actually makes it feel unique, ironically. It's like watching Lodoss. I guess that's why I loved Scrapped Princess too, even with all the crazy meta-world stuff and technological twists later on. It was at the core a very traditional fantasy story, all the way to the end. Hopefully we'll get the same thing here!

Maybe I should check out the second episode of Hitsugi no Chaika
I didn't like the first episode, but the second still seems interesting

Second episode restored my faith in the show and is making me look forward to another episode. Also duckroll just ruined my immersion in the show with the car bit. I got duckroll'd

On a separate note somebody finally gets what a real relationship between siblings is and did it with moe characters

Link Man

Banned
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 3

The :DTL is strong in this one.

Well, it's getting a bit better for me. I'll see how this turns out.

duckroll

Second episode restored my faith in the show and is making me look forward to another episode. Also duckroll just ruined my immersion in the show with the car bit. I got duckroll'd

On a separate note somebody finally gets what a real relationship between siblings is and did it with moe characters

If I'm right and the author can really only write one type of story over and over, then the naming system will probably make sense in the end, just like it did in Scrapped Princess. Lol.

Jex

I admire your dedication in putting that whole document together. I've only seen like five or six of them -- plus about half the Ghibli movies -- but nearly my entire anime watching resume (with a few exceptions) has been the few things airing on US TV when I was a kid and simulcasts/currently airing shows from about 2010 onwards. I can't begin to figure out how long some of you people have been anime fans, or are just avid collectors, to have nearly everything on that list already under your belt, especially the 50+ episode shows.
I've been watching anime since 2008.
As a side note, on the issue of both this and "The List", it's one of the few times that I feel a lot more distant from the community here since I have zero interest in "so bad it's good" shows, but at the same time, with all due respect to Jexhius especially given the amount of effort that went into the explanations on his list, a lot of the "essential" shows are things I have no real interest in, especially with limited time, no matter what sorts of important qualities you might tell me they have. To be fair I have had a few of them on a wishlist to watch "soon" for a while now, but never really put in the effort to advance on that.
I don't know if this ties into any discussions about subjectivity vs. objectivity (was there one of those here last week? I don't remember), but still.
The way I look at it is thus - if you keep up with the latest anime as it airs you'll probably find one great show per season. If you go back and watch a selection of choice anime you can watch 30 great shows back to back.

Chaika 2

The well choreographed fight scene was way too brief, and there isn't really anything else able to carry the show for me at the moment. It's pretty generic LN stuff.

Will give it a few more episodes.

The way I look at it is thus - if you keep up with the latest anime as it airs you'll probably find one great show per season. If you go back and watch a selection of choice anime you can watch 30 great shows back to back.

This is true, though the downside is that you'll lose the communal aspect as it is pretty hard to find people discussing older shows. It's kind of sad when you finish an older show and have to read comments made years ago to see others' thoughts.

Lain

No Game No Life 1

Just watched the first episode and it was pretty great. Felt a bit like Mondaiji-taichi.
The brother and sister make for a good pair of protagonists. I already like their interactions and how their strength here comes from the ability to play games.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Engage Planet Kiss Dum 1-8

Monsters appear. Hero swears he will protect everyone. Protects nobody. Where have I seen this... Oh, and this has happened multiple times already. It's getting kind of hard to care about anyone! Well, those who don't end up in the Hero's harem of girls ready to betray him anyway.

I could actually write a ton more, but that's just what comes to mind first when thinking about the monumental amount of pure stupid I've seen so far in this show. Furthermore, it's starting to get really funny.

Kurita

Oh I totally forgot that Majin Bone was the anime with character designs by Yusuke Murata. And one of my favorite bands is doing the ED on top of that...
Damn, I should watch that even if it's a kids show.

Branduil

This is true, though the downside is that you'll lose the communal aspect as it is pretty hard to find people discussing older shows. It's kind of sad when you finished an older show and have to read comments made years ago to see others thoughts.

Hence the backlog watch.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
@MikeHattsu
Should have bought some

Chaika the eyebrow girl 2
Wow talk about fast pace. They cut all the minor stuff and goes straight to the case. Will definitely follow

No Game No Life 2
Sora seiyuu ham it to the eleven. Also, WRYYYYYY!
This show could be my guilty pleasure for this season. it's dumb but not offensive enough.

No Game No Life 1

Just watched the first episode and it was pretty great. Felt a bit like Mondaiji-taichi.
The brother and sister make for a good pair of protagonists. I already like their interactions and how their strength here comes from the ability to play games.

THAT'S what this reminds me of! This is pretty much Mondaiji with a pair of fun Gary/Mary Stus being transported to another world instead of a trio.

Also, episode 2 is much better, so I'm thinking this might be the surprise of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom