• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do writers not want more money?

Well yes Mr. Tom and Jerry Movie Villain. But why reuse an asset that has nothing to do with the premise of the new show?

I wonder what Comrade Seki is d- oh he has a beet again. He always seems to do something with them.

Red Chaika 5
iUY7jAnopkFif.jpg
Red Chaika is best, all hail Red Chaika.

No Game No Life 5

Poor Steph. Best girl cant get this kind of treatment. Like she keeps digging herself into more and more trouble but I dont really enjoy the extended humiliation. However it looks like she's learning something new every time this happens to her and I hope shes the first one to beat Blank.

Shiro looking like hentai Greninja and the Laputa references were great though.

Nananananana's Buried Treasure 04

I can't just leave well enough alone, I guess. I'll just keep drop-picking this up until the season ends.
Does anyone go to school on this gigantic school island, with it's own private military?
And the detective girl is pretty far ahead in the running for best girl.

No Game No Life 5

Poor Steph. Best girl cant get this kind of treatment. Like she keeps digging herself into more and more trouble but I dont really enjoy the extended humiliation. However it looks like she's learning something new every time this happens to her and I hope shes the first one to beat Blank.

Shiro looking like hentai Greninja and the Laputa references were great though.

I don't think blank can be beat. however steph can become a "disciple of "blank"" at some point ..she is not dumb , she is just tied down by concept she couldn't have learned from people aside from "blank"

The thing above are my predictions , even if i'm way ahaed in the books , this is just a guess , not a spoiler.

Do you remember the first time you saw an anime film in a movie theater? If you can recall, how different was it from watching it on the small screen?

Sadly, for me it was probably the first Pokemon movie back in good ol' 1999. Can't place many of the details, but the free trading card that they gave away is probably in storage somewhere with the rest of my TCG shame.

First subtitled movie probably wasn't until just recently, in 2010, with Five Centimeters Per Second. Thankfully a movie like that didn't attract the obnoxious kind of crowd that the Madoka movies did two years later, so it was a nicer experience.

Mine was the second PKMN movie in theaters on a day that school was on break, it was a good experience due to the sound experience and not watching something on a 15 inch crt tv.

Havent ever been to see an anime movie subbed in theaters, they never bring them to rural north america, only subbed movies Ive seen in a theater are The Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto

cajunator

Banned
Do you remember the first time you saw an anime film in a movie theater? If you can recall, how different was it from watching it on the small screen?

Sadly, for me it was probably the first Pokemon movie back in good ol' 1999. Can't place many of the details, but the free trading card that they gave away is probably in storage somewhere with the rest of my TCG shame.

First subtitled one probably wasn't until just recently, in 2010, with Five Centimeters Per Second. Thankfully a movie like that didn't attract the obnoxious kind of crowd that the Madoka movies did two years later, so it was a nicer experience.

Mine was Princess Mononoke. Really hard to top that one. Saw it twice.

Long enough for you to regret your decision.

Great answer!

Black Bullet 5
Seitenshi-Black-Bullet.jpg

Best Girl
Thoughts during episode:
- Is she wearing just a shirt or is that what she always wore?
- Oh dang. She's a beast.
- Enju showing Rentaro what is up!
- "You know you liked it!" Hahahaha.
- Bodyguard huh.
- Heh, I knew that guy was bad news.
- Tina Sprout huh? Didn't have to think too hard about that name did you?
- What a weird little girl.
- Oh snap.
- Lol I should've known.
- Another new girl. The heck man?
- Surprised Enju didn't go off on her.
- LMAO. They just move out of the way.
- So they aren't gonna do anything about this guy?
- Info dump.
- I knew it would come to this
- Oh snap. This is gonna be intense eh Tina?
- Loving the ED. Next weeks episode looks like a good watch.

Summary:
This was a nice way to progress the show after that season finale-like episode 4. Had some action. It threw in a few jokes here and there. The episode feels like it's setting up a new arc for the show. They didn't really address any of the cliffhangers from the last episode but I know those will be addressed in due course.

duckroll

If I were you, I would just stop posting until that day was up. Don't want to risk it.

Nah. Sounds like a cause for celebration. If I were him, I would totally get into a heated argument with someone in a tipping thread over whether the customer was being sexist or the establishment owner is a racist. No time like the present imo!

cajunator

Banned
Nah. Sounds like a cause for celebration. If I were him, I would totally get into a heated argument with someone in a tipping thread over whether the customer was being sexist or the establishment owner is a racist. No time like the present imo!

That sounds very specific Ducky. Is there a plot afoot?

Yeah, or he could bump a thread from 2006 with "lol".

Syrinx

Bro he's lived on the edge enough for a junior.

NO game NO life - 05
Much has been said about this episode already , but steph reactions are just pure gold.

Case in point :

No%20Game%20No%20Life%20-%2005.jpg

pure gold

Episode served as a whole as a temporary explanation moment on the why and the how the siblings are this good.

Next episode will be so good.I wanted to watch this fight animated EVER SINCE i knew that no game no life had a anime, they probably won't disapoint.
Hopefully things will
explose the right way.

You're a terrible person to suggest this. I am also a terrible person as I am encouraging this!

Do it Sorairo!

Branduil

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/05/07/suicide-of-anime-worker-recognized-as-job-related

Opening the door for the bereaved family to receive workers’ compensation benefits, a labor supervision authority in Tokyo has acknowledged that the suicide of a 28-year-old anime studio employee related to job-related causes, including the long hours and heavy workloads at anime studio A1-Pictures.

The worker was employed as a production assistant between 2006 and December 2009, working on projects including Big Windup! (Ookiku Furikabutte) and Kannagi - Crazy Shrine Maidens. His office neglected time cards and forced the staff to work overtime without pay. He wrote “I took only three days off in ten months,” and “It’s already 4 a.m., but I can’t still get out of work.” The worker's excessive workload was credited as a factor in his depression.

Anime workers need a union.

Man, when I'm being a terrible Greatest Friend ever, I'm just making my friends watch Kuttsukiboshi, Arjuna 7-9, and ICE!

You're encouraging him to die in a crossfire!

duckroll

I'm surprised it took CR like a month to post an English article about this. The story was making its rounds in Japan last month because that was when the report was released on the investigation into his suicide, which was over 3 years ago.

There are a few interesting points to be made. First of all, overwork is not exclusive to the anime industry, it's part of Japanese work culture in general. Not something which has an easy solution, and I don't think the government is interested in doing much to change it.

Secondly, with regards to the "production runner" job in particular. It's a job which doesn't get much attention or credit beyond the production phase because it's not really a creative role and as such there isn't much reason for fans to care about it, but it's a vital one which can be extremely stressful and involves an insane workload.

A production runner is assigned to specific episodes of a series, where they're in charge of making sure everything from the start of pre-production to the delivery of the final master is done on time and to maintain the schedule and double check everything. They monitor the schedule for each step of the process, ensure that materials are completed and delivered to the right people at each step of the way, they double check all materials at every step to make sure nothing is missed out, count the pages, check to make sure people didn't forget to do stuff, remind people if they did, etc.

They might also be required to assist with things which no one else is free to do, like prepare filler text for on-screen documents and notes, or create the text from scratch, sometimes if they want the text in another language (usually English) but the show doesn't have a specialized translator on board, they're tasked with getting the text done (now you know why Google Translate crap shows up in some shows!). If Person A needs something from Person B but has no time to get it himself, the production runner could also be tasked with being an inbetween. It's a thankless job which requires full attention at all times and a well rounded understanding of everyone else's job. Screwing up could mess up the entire production line.

Sounds like a terrible job. So why do people do it since it doesn't even have artistic credibility like animators enjoy at least? Because it's the ultimate gateway to actually running something in the anime industry. Production runners can get promoted into various positions when their abilities are recognized, and they do a ton of networking as well. People who started out at various studios as production runners have went on to become directors, designers, writers, and most importantly producers who run and manage their own studios. If they don't die first.

Narag

I'm surprised it took CR like a month to post an English article about this. The story was making its rounds in Japan last month because that was when the report was released on the investigation into his suicide, which was over 3 years ago.

There are a few interesting points to be made. First of all, overwork is not exclusive to the anime industry, it's part of Japanese work culture in general. Not something which has an easy solution, and I don't think the government is interested in doing much to change it.

Secondly, with regards to the "production runner" job in particular. It's a job which doesn't get much attention or credit beyond the production phase because it's not really a creative role and as such there isn't much reason for fans to care about it, but it's a vital one which can be extremely stressful and involves an insane workload.

A production runner is assigned to specific episodes of a series, where they're in charge of making sure everything from the start of pre-production to the delivery of the final master is done on time and to maintain the schedule and double check everything. They monitor the schedule for each step of the process, ensure that materials are completed and delivered to the right people at each step of the way, they double check all materials at every step to make sure nothing is missed out, count the pages, check to make sure people didn't forget to do stuff, remind people if they did, etc.

They might also be required to assist with things which no one else is free to do, like prepare filler text for on-screen documents and notes, or create the text from scratch, sometimes if they want the text in another language (usually English) but the show doesn't have a specialized translator on board, they're tasked with getting the text done (now you know why Google Translate crap shows up in some shows!). If Person A needs something from Person B but has no time to get it himself, the production runner could also be tasked with being an inbetween. It's a thankless job which requires full attention at all times and a well rounded understanding of everyone else's job. Screwing up could mess up the entire production line.

Sounds like a terrible job. So why do people do it since it doesn't even have artistic credibility like animators enjoy at least? Because it's the ultimate gateway to actually running something in the anime industry. Production runners can get promoted into various positions when their abilities are recognized, and they do a ton of networking as well. People who started out at various studios as production runners have went on to become directors, designers, writers, and most importantly producers who run and manage their own studios. If they don't die first.

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom