• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

But I don't get your point, why is it fine for Mecha to be very similar except for some few things but not Sports, when it's the same way?
I think Ping Pong is a pretty unique show, but I don't watch that many sports shows. If Teppuu were to get an adaptation, I would gladly watch that.
You're right that most Sports shows are heroes team vs rivals team, but the differences in the shows are why people watch them in the first place for nearly every genre.

Because even cookie cutter mecha anime has a little bit of imagination. How many times you want to watch people kicking balls around and screaming even if it's "unique"? you can get that character drama everywhere without wasting your time and actually watch some cool action instead!

Sport anime are fun for the interactions and relationships between the characters.

Sure, you can have that in every other genre too and generally you have that! without all the boring sports fillers.
If I want to watch sports I go watch sports, not anime :p

My anime pick-ups for april 2014

Gonna enjoy that panzer Vor blu-rays.

To think that i almost dropped this show when it aired ( first episode bad impression )

Hopefully the image quality for everything is nice.
Next month :
-highschool dxd , fate zero

Hey where did you buy the Blurays from.

Zeppeli

Banned
Daily reminder that Clint Eastwood is a JoJo fan.

tumblr_n59asuWNpi1ssivh2o1_1280.jpg

Because even cookie cutter mecha anime has a little bit of imagination. How many times you want to watch people kicking balls around and screaming even if it's "unique"? you can get that character drama everywhere without wasting your time and actually watch some cool action instead!

Sure, you can have that in every other genre too and generally you have that! without all the boring sports fillers.

There's a ton of Sports shows that have action, most of the popular ones. There's basically two different kinds, the "real" sports and the "shonen" sports. I'm sure you'd like Eyeshield 21 if you read it, it's quite insane.
There's huge differences between Boys on the Run, Hajime no Ippo, Grappler Baki, Teppuu.

Caesnd

But there is nothing in sports anime that inherently prevents imaginative concepts or a creative presentation, is there?

fertygo

If just Floyd Mayweather jr, act like shounen sport heroes and not dodging strong foes..

Midonin

Black★Rock Shooter 01-04

There certainly are a few things that would inspire an "oh, anime" moment, but they make sense within the context of the show (and that's a bit of an old argument to fall back upon). I can see some of Okada's writing traits - focusing on small things like that and giving them grave importance, and the general melodramatic nature of it all, but as I said with Wixoss, I'm not seeing anything that's really tapping into the inner wells of rage/facepalming I should(?) be having. The macaron cannon was silly and Kagari was a little creepy, the idea of "someone else taking on your pain" would normally be sketchy as a coping mechanism, but at the halfway point, I still have the entire rest of the show to provide the bookend to all this.

The fights are still cool to watch, and seem to be happening concurrently with the events going on in the real world this time, as opposed to the timeline of the OVA. I do like the lack of dialogue in them, relatively. The audience is left to figure things out for themselves. Using the original song as the OP is also a nice choice. It's not as subtle, but that's not necessarily saying it's worse, at least from what I've seen so far. I'm surprised at how Kagari basically did a 180 from the moment we first saw her to the end of this episode - the link between the Otherworld and this world is more overt this time, being played as more of a supernatural mystery as opposed to a quest like the OVA iteration.

Maybe the really crazy stuff happens in the second half, because I sat through two hours of this and am so far intrigued.

Ping Pong The Animation - 5

This show really hits me straight in the feels.
It did a great job in showing off that sense of inadequacy that Peco and Akuma felt after having been thoroughly outpaced by Smile, a person that they'd become accustom to being superior to. The different ways they cope with that fact made up for the majority of the drama as a result and I really gotta commend how effective it was in contrasting how the former rivals felt about this third element coming in and totally overtaking them. Here's hoping they get out of their rut soon as I'd really love to see Akuma especially find a way to shine despite his lack of talent for the game.

Gotta say that I'm super happy to see that Wenge looks like he'll have a role to play in the future of the series as well as he has certainly solidified himself as one of my favorite characters. I almost feel like his training is going to end up leading him to have a rematch with Smile in order to push Smile off his pedestal, feel like the character needs to be humbled in the near future.

cnet128

Banned
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 6

Did they make this episode specifically for me? <3

...Buuuuut now I'm jealous of Shiro of all people. brb killing self.

Narag

@Clarknova1
Also, Attack on Titan fans- I can confirm that the FULL OPEN for the show will air this week, and every week, starting Saturday night.

Zeppeli

Banned
Less than 2 hours to go.

Also, Star Driver's action is really... Bland? We get like 30 seconds an episode and it's never a challenge for the MC.

Branduil

Less than 2 hours to go.

Also, Star Driver's action is really... Bland? We get like 30 seconds an episode and it's never a challenge for the MC.

The problem with Star Driver is that, as well-animated as the fights are, they lack tension because you know he's going to BS his way into winning every single fight.

Zeppeli

Banned
The problem with Star Driver is that, as well-animated as the fights are, they lack tension because you know he's going to BS his way into winning every single fight.

He's literally the Mary Sue of Mary Sues, excluding Giorno Giovanna because that's not even fucking fair.

Pooya

There's a ton of Sports shows that have action, most of the popular ones. There's basically two different kinds, the "real" sports and the "shonen" sports. I'm sure you'd like Eyeshield 21 if you read it, it's quite insane.
There's huge differences between Boys on the Run, Hajime no Ippo, Grappler Baki, Teppuu.

In the end they're just centered around a game and everything revolves around that, they're as good as the game they're based on. Now you can inject shonen super powers cliche into Earthly sports to make it look less generic, maybe that works for some people, they keep making these I'm sure it works. But short of making a new inventive game from scratch it's not really anything creative.

But there is nothing in sports anime that inherently prevents imaginative concepts or a creative presentation, is there?

Sure, like girls und panzer! once in a blue moon. And that's your usual generic sports anime plot still but they actually make it fun with their creativity.

I didn't mean to say the genre 'can't be' but that 'it's not', and it's too easy to write off any new show because 'failure rate' is higher than everything else, at least to me looks that way.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 04

I like how in this remake made last year they are still using those zappy space gun pistols every single pulp fiction/movie/tv show/anime used in the 60s/70s.
OP is also very 70s.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
In the end they're just centered around a game and everything revolves around that, they're as good as the game they're based on. Now you can inject shonen super powers cliche into Earthly sports to make it look less generic, maybe that works for some people, they keep making these I'm sure it works. But short of making a new inventive game from scratch it's not really anything creative.

Sure, like girls und panzer! once in a blue moon. And that's your usual generic sports anime plot still but they actually make it fun with their creativity.

I didn't mean to say the genre 'can't be' but that 'it's not', and it's too easy to write off any new show because 'failure rate' is higher than everything else, at least to me looks that way.

Well, let's hope someone decide to adapt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocyUzoaoVfQ] Battlefield Baseball or Deadball into anime adaptation.

I can absolutely understand not finding the premise of any particular show interesting enough to decide to start watching it. I've discounted more than my own fair share of shows because of the way they were presented or the lack of any interesting fantasy or scifi setting. I think where this community really shines is in its ability to expose a person to works that they wouldn't have otherwise checked out. Animegaf has really broadened my horizons in terms of the type of show I'm exposed to and can find enjoyment in despite seemingly mundane premises (like sports shows). And this is coming from a person with a pretty strong SciFi bias for the majority of his fiction, it's pretty much all I'll read in the print medium.

Despite that though I don't understand discounting an entire genre of works because of what amounts to the framing for whatever conflict or story that wants to be told. I may not have immediately latched on to Slice of Life or Sports shows but I never doubted that there were some that existed that were extremely well made even when it wasn't a thing I thought I'd personally enjoy watching. It's obviously not something that I or anyone believes they're wasting their time with if the show is able to present itself as something worth watching based on whatever X, Y, or Z critera they feel it meets.

Caesnd

team based mecha with a lot of tactics? I'm not sure right now.
Gundam Build Fighters is a good one though, it's just duel fights. G Gundam too.

Yes, but it would be nice to have something like Gundam Build Fighters, but more based around tactics and squad combat.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
In case anyone missed it, The Devil is a Part-Timer is back up for preorder on right Stuf just in time for that Funimation sale! WOOOO!

It's about time, I feel like I was waiting forever to hear anything about the release... even though the show only aired like a year ago. =/ Where the hell is a second season?!?

Nice!

Need me some Chiho-chan greatness.

fertygo

Its suck to seeing some of sport show bashing lately, oh well not my loss.. some of the best episode that I'm seeing on this year is coming from those sport show.

Pooya

Ping Pong has mecha!

I wanna see the receipts!

Despite that though I don't understand discounting an entire genre of works because of what amounts to the framing for whatever conflict or story that wants to be told. I may not have immediately latched on to Slice of Life or Sports shows but I never doubted that there were some that existed that were extremely well made even when it wasn't a thing I thought I'd personally enjoy watching. It's obviously not something that I or anyone believes they're wasting their time with if the show is able to present itself as something worth watching based on whatever X, Y, or Z critera they feel it meets.

Sure, I think the good ones were made like 20 years ago, I grew up with all this stuff and it's just not compelling anymore only retreading old grounds. Now you could say the same has happened to everything else too "anime is dead, 80s 90s were the best" etc I don't agree, sports genre feels really dead. I don't normally even look at sports anime anymore, I can write them at home myself! Only when I find people here that usually like same things as I do are talking about some sports show I go and see what that is. Like I said GuP was one, I'm glad I watched that, anything else looked like a waste of time to me though...

Nice GUP pick up. Unfortunately I think that too has the Tetris music in it.
Can you confirm which song is in it so I can decide to be jealous or not?
What tetris music ?i must confessi only watched the first 8 minutes of episode 1 because i didn't have time to watch everything.
Is there something i must pay attention at ?

Hey where did you buy the Blurays from.
Amazon
( i'm in a european territory ) those are UK/EU blu-rays
That one episode of Gundam Build Fighters, the one with the Gundam Baseball.
Make a show out of that, Sunrise. Wacky Gundam sports.

They already tried, it wasn't that great.

Pooya

nice visuals.

Its suck to seeing some of sport show bashing lately, oh well not my loss.. some of the best episode that I'm seeing on this year is coming from those sport show.

I'm sure you're right and there are great episodes, I just can't be bothered with to watch some sports anime because it has some great character interactions somewhere. The pay off over time investment seems too low and it's hard to care about the rest if it's just sports.

Am I missing out on something or did I just forget something existed

i remember that gundam anime that was tournament with various goofy gundams from every country..
Anyway my point is that gundam anime that don't take themselves seriously aren't great.
1 episode is fine . a entire show ? not so much.

i remember that gundam anime that was tournament with various goofy gundams from every country..
Anyway my point is that gundam anime that don't take themselves seriously aren't great.

But G Gundam was the best series of Gundam because it didn't take itself seriously!

That's G Gundam. G Gundam is great.
I think if they did it in GBF style it would be fine.

That was better than most fights involving the Build Knuckle.

Yes very true, I don't know how it was so cool in G Gundam to begin with.

Also speaking of Wacky Gundam. Mobile Suit SD Gundam Mk.V was basically Gundam x Wacky Races and it was the best thing ever. Yazan Gable as Dick Dastardly was perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom