• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Aria series again since I finally got around to purchasing the DVDs. Has the manga author of the series, Kozue Amano, ever explained why practically all of the entire cast of characters' names start with "A" sans a few characters such as the cats Hime and Maa?

Clov

I understand the video authoring issues and this is why I do not usually pre-order most Blu-rays anymore, but I can deal with barebones packaging so long as the discs arrive unscratched. Wish Sentai would do more releases like Dusk Maiden of Amnesia which included the OVA, all 13 audio commentaries, and two CD soundtracks. Waiting to see what Sentai has planned for the Chuu2 Premium Edition.

I'm really looking forward to their limited edition too, I hope it will be nice. I won't be expecting Aniplex quality from them or anything, but hopefully it comes with some neat bonuses.

Actually, if I have one more complaint about Sentai, it's their subtitles. They're somewhat too big, and in that ugly yellow color. Practically everyone else uses nice, white subtitles, but they stick to yellow. Bleh.

cajunator

Banned
last time I'm bringing this up

I think this was a telltale sign and a cry for help...

You might be right :(

I'm really looking forward to their limited edition too, I hope it will be nice. I won't be expecting Aniplex quality from them or anything, but hopefully it comes with some neat bonuses.

Actually, if I have one more complaint about Sentai, it's their subtitles. They're somewhat too big, and in that ugly yellow color. Practically everyone else uses nice, white subtitles, but they stick to yellow. Bleh.

Sentai was formerly ADV and thats how they used to roll. In lower quality vhs and dvd the yellow subs stood out better. Its probably old habit.

I have yet to own an Aniplex title. From what I remember Aniplex's quality can vary as with the Monogatari series, Bake and Nise both came in nice chipboard boxes but it appears that Neko Black got a flimsy case similar to the Madoka LEs.

I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer yellow subtitles over white. White subtitles seems to disappear into the background often even with the slight black borders around the letters. To each his own I suppose.

Clov

Sentai was formerly ADV and thats how they used to roll. In lower quality vhs and dvd the yellow subs stood out better. Its probably old habit.

That's true, but I wish they'd move on. Even Funimation uses white subtitles, and they were around since the mid to late 90s, weren't they?

Speaking of ADV, I got to watch some of the trailers on an old VHS of Devil Hunter Yohko a month back or so. They really were hyping up NGE, back then.

I have yet to own an Aniplex title. From what I remember Aniplex's quality can vary as with the Monogatari series, Bake and Nise both came in nice chipboard boxes but it appears that Neko Black got a flimsy case similar to the Madoka LEs.

Right now I own the Madoka LEs, plus the Rebellion import. The cases are flimsy, but they're made of nice material and look very nice. The artwork on the cases are great as well, and the artbooks included are nice. The Rebellion import on the other hand is simply beautiful; it's one of the highest quality LEs that I own.

Tomorrow I'll be starting to order Fate/Zero from them, actually. I'm starting with part two though, since my favorite episodes are in that half. My friend owns part one, and it's a very, very nice limited edition. Definitely worth the money, I think.

cajunator

Banned

I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer yellow subtitles over white. White subtitles seems to disappear into the background often even with the slight black borders around the letters. To each his own I suppose.

White subs only work with a very high quality picture. Fate Zero is a great example.

Right now I own the Madoka LEs, plus the Rebellion import. The cases are flimsy, but they're made of nice material and look very nice. The artwork on the cases are great as well, and the artbooks included are nice. The Rebellion import on the other hand is simply beautiful; it's one of the highest quality LEs that I own.

Tomorrow I'll be starting to order Fate/Zero from them, actually. I'm starting with part two though, since my favorite episodes are in that half. My friend owns part one, and it's a very, very nice limited edition. Definitely worth the money, I think.

This is just my assumption, but maybe consumers simply expect chipboard boxes to be standard especially with Aniplex's prices matching the Japanese practices. I myself cannot say one way or the other until I purchase one of their series, but that likely will not occur until VVV or Mushi-shi 2nd season are available on Blu-ray.

Once you start buying imports, it truly is a bit hard to stop wanting that kind of quality.

White subs only work with a very high quality picture. Fate Zero is a great example.

Probably doesn't help that I only have a 20-inch HDTV.

Clov

This is just my assumption, but maybe consumers simply expect chipboard boxes to be standard especially with Aniplex's prices matching the Japanese practices. I myself cannot say one way or the other until I purchase one of their series, but that likely will not occur until VVV or Mushi-shi 2nd season are available on Blu-ray.

I can agree with that; chipboard boxes are great, and they're definitely more high quality than flimsy cases. I still feel like I got my money's worth with the Madoka Blu-Rays though, they're really great.

I'm actually a bit nervous about Mushishi season two's release over here. Aniplex USA seems to put their less popular series on DVD only. I'm worried that'll happen to Mushishi. I can accept Funimation not releasing the Blu-Rays for season one over here (they were only an upscale, anyway), but for season two HD is definitely a must. I hope they'll do the right thing and give it the kind of Blu-Ray set it deserves.

rabbit cafe 5

sports bit was fun, and i still can't get over how adorable this outfit is.

usagi5.jpg

these ears.

iGIyIWiqmqmWy.gif

dies*

I'm actually a bit nervous about Mushishi season two's release over here. Aniplex USA seems to put their less popular on DVD only. I'm worried that'll happen to Mushishi. I can accept Funimation not releasing the Blu-Rays for season one over here (they were only an upscale, anyway), but for season two HD is definitely a must. I hope they'll do the right thing and give it the kind of Blu-Ray set it deserves.

I definitely would prefer BDs over DVDs with Mushi-shi's second season release now being a native HD-series, but it's hard to say how Aniplex USA will handle the disc release for this split-cour series. I wouldn't exactly state Mushi-shi being unpopular, it simply didn't sell well, as FUNimation did release Mushi-shi originally as single sets followed then by four re-releases so maybe that has something to do with it. I have no idea what determines a series selling well to make it popular, but Mushi-shi truly is highly regarded if you can appreciate one episode stories. Just look at the various titles strewn about as either an Anime Classics or S.A.V.E. title for FUNimation, or Naoki Urasawa's Monster from VIZ.

Clov

I definitely would prefer BDs over DVDs with Mushi-shi's second season release now being a native HD-series, but it's hard to say how Aniplex USA will handle the disc release for this split-cour series. I wouldn't exactly state Mushi-shi being unpopular, it simply didn't sell well, as FUNimation did release Mushi-shi originally as single sets followed then by four re-releases so maybe that has something to do with it. Just look at the various titles strewn about as either an Anime Classics or S.A.V.E. title for FUNimation, or Naoki Urasawa's Monster from VIZ.

I hope it's popular enough for a Blu-Ray release, the second season is pretty gorgeous.

It really pains me that Viz will never release the rest of Monster. Loved that anime so much.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate Vol.1 & 2 are just $30.99 each on Amazon :)

Buy this. Just buy it. No questions.

Once you start buying imports, it truly is a bit hard to stop wanting that kind of quality.

Probably doesn't help that I only have a 20-inch HDTV.

i know what you mean. Japanese packaging and extras are something else!

I can agree with that; chipboard boxes are great, and they're definitely more high quality than flimsy cases. I still feel like I got my money's worth with the Madoka Blu-Rays though, they're really great.

I'm actually a bit nervous about Mushishi season two's release over here. Aniplex USA seems to put their less popular series on DVD only. I'm worried that'll happen to Mushishi. I can accept Funimation not releasing the Blu-Rays for season one over here (they were only an upscale, anyway), but for season two HD is definitely a must. I hope they'll do the right thing and give it the kind of Blu-Ray set it deserves.

chipboard boxes used to be standard and they were wonderful. Almost always bought the artbox. I miss them although some companies still go the distance with packaging.

rabbit cafe 5

sports bit was fun, and i still can't get over how adorable this outfit is.

these ears.

iGIyIWiqmqmWy.gif

dies*

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *breathes Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *pant pant Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Steins;Gate Vol.1 & 2 are just $30.99 each on Amazon :)

you have no idea how thankful I am. This is another of those series I was waiting for a cheaper price to buy, done and done. Now all I need is Cowboy Bebop and a cheaper Fate Zero and I'd own/had streaming services to watch the majority of my top anime. And CB is coming in blu-ray sometimes this year, can't wait.

Well FZ is technically on Crunchyroll AND Netflix, but I'd like to own that on blu-ray because it's purty. Gintama I can keep on Crunchyroll and I watched GTO dvd quality, probably wouldn't benefit too much by blu-ray, and FMA:B will like never leave netflix haha.

Now somebody needs to lower the price of the Berserk films blu-ray set, release Monster on Blu-ray, lower the fucking price of Yamato 2199, and release that sexy psycho-pass blu-ray set.

edit: psycho-pass special edition is already out and is 100 for amazon prime members. If price is similar later in the summer I might buy it for myself as a treat.

Conan-san

Yep, typical Media Blasters. By what I have read about their recent releases, things don't seem to be doing well. I mean these discs are practically screaming bootleg! http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?9844-Otoboku-Maidens-Are-Falling-For-Me-Complete-Collection-%28AnimeWorks-Classics%29&p=237257&viewfull=1#post237257
"Oh boy! I do love me some GaoGaiGar! I got to import the dvds to get this suprisngly well done dub and such and-"
*FUCK YOU, VOLTRON IS YOUR GOD NOW*
"Like I Said, fuck Media Blasters"

Oh forgot to mention, after we finish episode 6 tomorrow my friends and I will have finished the first of the three baccano blu-ray cds. So far the quality is nice but not mindblowing, it just helps define the art style more. But jesus the english dub is fucking amazing. I love the sub because of the funny engrish and Isaac and Miria, but Jesus all the Brooklyn accents make the dub fucking awesome.

It's like if somebody made a whole show with Joey from Yu Gi Oh.

On a less anime related note finished season 1 of Hannibal today. Really recommended, and season 2 is even more highly recommended by critics and fans. Tomorrow we should be finishing, alongside disc 1 of Baccano, the true detective season. I've been eagerly waiting for the last two episodes the whole week, can't wait.

Eusis

Jintor

Blade and soul - 06
Is everyone is this show STUPID ?
And Sdburton , can you stop invading Blade and soul too ? Even yuri can't help this show from being crap.

Envisioning SDBurton as a Red Phantom invading anime and dropping yuri everywhere is pretty amusing

Anyway what happened to hox?

Envisioning SDBurton as a Red Phantom invading anime and dropping yuri everywhere is pretty amusing

I don't know the guy but with my great detective skills I can take a wild guess that he got bored of anime and probably didn't like some of the people in the AnimeGAF community. Maybe one of them pissed him off. Instead of sneaking away from the medium and the community and moving on to something else he decided to take out his frustration on anime and the community in a very childish way, which got him banned?

I don't necessarily think anime has been amazing recently, but each season seems to have at least one or two quality (either critically good or enjoyable to most) shows so I can't complain.

Eusis

Wait it might not be...hmm
Figures.

Though honestly I'm surprised Media Blasters is still around. They were one of the smaller ones and it was a blood bath over the last few years, though I guess it doesn't help I didn't pay as much attention to anime for most of the years after Gurren Lagann. Of new releases anyway.

cajunator

Banned

im ok with the SDBurton revolution.

No, i literally mean, what are you guys talking about. Was there a thread in OT or something? I've been hiking all day.

yeah. It was pretty bad.

Tomboys just don't do it for me. Not girlish enough for my tastes.

Its okay AWESOMEBEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom