• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised to see so much interest in Tomako Love Story give the cool reception the show got. But I suppose it can only be better without focus on the talking bird.

/XX/

Man, it seems like 90% of people in this thread are either creepy pervs or people who compulsively watch what they hate and loudly complain about. At least I'm skipping the wasting my time on the watching part and am going straight to the hatred.
Really, hosannainexcelsis, why did it had to end like this then? Why didn't just cherish that "10%" you don't find annoying? See, I like the kind of posts I could read from the likes of you, a important part of this all, but I also ain't going to fault the diversity of this thread's interactions just to accommodate any unique way of enjoying such a varied medium like is this one.

You know the real problem; that with people like you going away... were does that leave those of us here who enjoyed posts like yours and now can feel abandoned too? Shall we just also quit or move on to other place instead of expressing ourselves together? It is that kind of attitude what precisely creates the insularity you came here despising, man.

I just, don't get it... it seems to me like you didn't actually have a single good moment on this community along any of us to toss it all away in that manner now... that kind of makes everything, every time here feel like it is useless...

Midonin

Daimidaler 06

That Penguin Empire song is going to be stuck in my head. With Shoma and Kiriko, I feel we've finally achieved the best representation of mecha and sexuality. The one who gets the Hi-Ero particles welling up within her is Kiriko. She's the one who holds the power in the relationship, yet also stands on equal footing with Shoma. And unlike Kyoko's hesitation, there's a much greater degree of pure and love and respect between them. She still does it because she's horny, but they're mutually horny. And if you're going to do a robot powered by sex, that's how things should be.

Ritz remains as fun as ever, and the show's sense of humor is still landing on most of its jokes. The Mazinger riff by having Daimidaler come out of the pool was pretty cool, and the way the OP theme played at the end this time. It's the same song, but context changes everything.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 3
The new character looks to be interesting but this wasn't as funny as the last episode. Still relatively funny overall though

Gundam 00 S2 - 25 END + Series Review

Okay, I'm not gonna lie, that was a pretty badass final battle. It was awesome
seeing the remaining Gundam Meisters going all out against the Innovators by themselves, and it was downright epic to see Gundam Exia facing off agasint the 0 Gundam. It's too bad Marina's song had to ruin that moment though. >_<.

To top this bad show off, we have a really rushed ending.

All right, so final thoughts.

I can easily see the complaints people have with this show's second season. The show is all over the place and doesn't have a clear focus on anything.

It's a shame, because somewhere in here lies a legitimately good Gundam show. But the problem here is that there's way too many characters for the show to handle. I normally love shows with lots of characters, but those only work for shows that go on for more than 100 episodes or so. Here, there's too many plot threads to show to resolve and when they do get resolved, it's usually in a really half-assed way.

The final battle between Setsuna and
Grahm
, a plot point they've been building up for pratically the entire series, is very short and not exactly very fufilling.

The entire enigmatic Wang Liu Mei subplot is never fully explained. It's just spread out in tiny bits and pieces over the course of the show.

Louise
got hit with a magic light from Setsuna and now she's suddenly okay and nice again? Da hell is this crap >_<

Still though, there were quite a few of things I enjoyed about Gundam 00. The first season as I've said before, I think is legit good at least. The designs of the mechs are awesome. The OST (except for Marina's song, ugh) is great. The Gundam fights were also a ton of fun to watch as well. There were also characters I enjoyed a lot too. I ended up tolerating Tiera's character more in the end, he got better. S1 Lockon will always be superior to S2 Lockon. Ribbons Almark was a pretty cool villain as well. Especially with his
Reborns Gundam.

But even with that, Gundam 00 S2 is not a show I'd recommend to people who want to see a good mecha. While I didn't hate Gundam 00 S2, it's still pretty dang bad.

All right, movie's next, then I'm finally finished with Gundam 00. This one is apparently the lowest of the low, so my expectations are set.

/XX/

And here I thought it was a good time for an animation fan like hosannainexcelsis lately; you know, not only for Mushi-shi's comeback but also because of Mr. Maruyama reassuring, mere days ago, the viability of both the Pluto adaptation and (for the nth time) The Dream Machine project completion (http://www.deculture.es/2014/04/30/entrevista-masao-maruyama/).

Ever felt like, even though some things may have improved, everything is still futile?
Of course... and sometimes it is so obvious and usual throughout a whole life that I think you end up not sweating too much about it, and focusing instead on those little "things" and spontaneous everyday pleasures. And little by little is worth it for that alone.

Jex

I feel like the reception to this is already destined to be poor based on the impression left by the TV show (particularly how the thematic thread of the TV show "resolved" lol). Hopefully it's done in such a way it can stand on its own, and it manages to capture that ep 9 magic. They just need to not overdo it and it could turn out a pretty entertaining romcom. That one would be a rare sight for anime so I'm still quietly optimistic.

However, the level of production from that trailer looks to be S-class Kyoani. Finally something that could be a treat to the eyes, and not the scrappy shit we've been getting ever since Hyouka ended.

The real question is how good the writing will be, as it's all going to have to hang off of that. I almost feel like I'd be more interested in this if I hadn't seen the TV series, or if no TV series had existed.

That illustration actually fills me with more emotion than the series itself!

Mr.Jeff

The Abh are genetically engineered humans made for space exploration by a faction of Japanese Nazis who resented globalisation and wanted to create pure Japan once more in space isolating themselves from all other mankind progress. I won't say much more because the anime expands in part on these points. (or rather later anime)
Well luckily that particular reason is only briefly touched upon. Mostly the conflict later on is boiled down to
i) resentment that humanity's former "servants" have risen up against them ii) they keep conquering humanity's planets to prevent universal galactic warfare. THE DICKS.

Im seriously not wrapping my head around this. Patema is obviously from the original world before the antigravity accident. That would mean Eiji's people were the ones lifted away that live on the other side of the planet with an artificial sky that was made how? How is there a giant floating factory producing artificial stars and sun?

I feel like a fucking idiot after watching this.
I've seen it twice and there were quite a number of people bewildered by the ending!
I've drawn a diagram which I'll routinely spam whenever the question comes up.
Contains GIGANTIC Patema Inverted spoilers so you have all been warned.

Edit: Also /XX/ is posting again. Good times are here again.

So guys since the visual novel for Fate Stay Night is expensive should I just like watch a walkthrough on YouTube. Or would that be a bad idea.

Jex

Really, hosannainexcelsis, why did it had to end like this then? Why didn't just cherish that "10%" you don't find annoying? See, I like the kind of posts I could read from the likes of you, a important part of this all, but I also ain't going to fault the diversity of this thread's interactions just to accommodate any unique way of enjoying such a varied medium like is this one.

You know the real problem; that with people like you going away... were does that leave those of us here who enjoyed posts like yours and now can feel abandoned too? Shall we just also quit or move on to other place instead of expressing ourselves together? It is that kind of attitude what precisely creates the insularity you came here despising, man.

I just, don't get it... it seems to me like you didn't actually have a single good moment on this community along any of us to toss it all away in that manner now... that kind of makes everything, every time here feel like it is useless...

I can't speak for Hosanna, but I fear his problems extend beyond anime or the community of posters who participate in this thread. I could well be wrong, but the content and tone of his posts would lead me to believe that the case.
So guys since the visual novel for Fate Stay Night is expensive should I just like watch a walkthrough on YouTube. Or would that be a bad idea.

Can't you just wait for the series to come out? Assuming that you want to just experience the story I don't see why watching it on YouTube would be a problem.

I can't speak for Hosanna, but I fear his problems extend beyond anime or the community of posters who participate in this thread. I could well be wrong, but the content and tone of his posts would lead me to believe that the case.

Can't you just wait for the series to come out? Assuming that you want to just experience the story I don't see why watching it on YouTube would be a problem.

I guess your right since I just want to experience the story.

Clov

And here I thought it was a good time for an animation fan like hosannainexcelsis lately; you know, not only for Mushi-shi's comeback but also because of Mr. Maruyama reassuring, mere days ago, the viability of both the Pluto adaptation and (for the nth time) The Dream Machine project completion (http://www.deculture.es/2014/04/30/entrevista-masao-maruyama/).

Can't read the article, but if it says what you say it does then I'm filled with hope. Pluto's one of my favorite manga, and finishing Satoshi Kon's final film is something that simply must happen. I hope we see both of these within a few years.

Jex

I never learn.

Perhaps I should have phrased that differently: if you're going to watch a trailer you're probably going to get spoiled 90% of time. Most trailers aren't cut or created in a way that actually interests the audience without divulging major plot points to get the prospective audience interested.

Unless, of course, you happen to watching one of the greatest trailer of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

Theonik

Well luckily that particular reason is only briefly touched upon. Mostly the conflict later on is boiled down to
i) resentment that humanity's former "servants" have risen up against them ii) they keep conquering humanity's planets to prevent universal galactic warfare. THE DICKS.
Yeah it doesn't really factor into the Abh's motivation at all. It's just their origin story and the original colony only really is considered in the character's actions when
Lafiel talks about the Abh's original sin with regards to the mother colony

Wiki

Gundam 00 S2 - 25 END + Series Review

Okay, I'm not gonna lie, that was a pretty badass final battle. It was awesome
seeing the remaining Gundam Meisters going all out against the Innovators by themselves, and it was downright epic to see Gundam Exia facing off agasint the 0 Gundam. It's too bad Marina's song had to ruin that moment though. >_<.

Nice impressions. i share that sentiment too , just too many thing they had to do with those characters and they either didn't have the time nor did they could do something with them.
Marina song ruinned so many things in G00 it's not even funny.
All right, movie's next, then I'm finally finished with Gundam 00. This one is apparently the lowest of the low, so my expectations are set.
I'd watch several times Awakening of the traillblazer than to see 1 episode of gundam Age again.
Yes it's one of the poorest gundam movies but it still has a gundam vibe that i couldn't get in gundam Age. i enjoyed that movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom