• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludovico

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Madoka 6 & 7

OOmmmggg.
I have responsibilities to take care of for now, but I'll definitely finish off the rest of the episodes in the next day or two.
The gravity of
Sayaka's soul gem split, I thought she might actually be dead.
Kyōko's backstory
and the weight that comes with miracles

Also, silhouette effect makes all things significantly better
Sayaka's full on lost it

Narag

cGouh50.jpg

finalized flowers of evil cover/disc art. glad i hopped on this when CR had that crazy deal.

Mature

finalized flowers of evil cover/disc art. glad i hopped on this when CR had that crazy deal.
Hey, not bad. Could do without the green band at the bottom, or just make it wrap around and be grass like the side. Either way, could be worse.

cajunator

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 04

IDOL CULTURE
This show is just filled with cuties, both good and bad. Freckles <3
Still incredible soundtrack. I need this music. Especially the battle theme with the violins. hnnng.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Madoka 6 & 7

OOmmmggg.
I have responsibilities to take care of for now, but I'll definitely finish off the rest of the episodes in the next day or two.
The gravity of
Sayaka's soul gem split, I thought she might actually be dead.
Ky&#333;ko's backstory
and the weight that comes with miracles

Also, silhouette effect makes all things significantly better
Sayaka's full on lost it

The rabbit hole goes deeper. Much deeper.
Are you prepared for it?

Yes yesssssss

Mature

Patlabor - do I need to watch/purchase the OVA(Early Days) or can I skip to the TV series?
The TV Series is in a separate continuity than the OVA.

It's:
Early Days OVA -> Movie 1 -> WWXIII -> Movie 2

TV Series -> New Files

All are worth checking out, however! Well, maybe not WWXIII.

Nice. Now only if they announced a second season...
Keep hope alive. I would love an S2.

Hattori

Banned
The TV Series is in a separate continuity than the OVA.

It's:
Early Days OVA -> Movie 1 -> WWXIII -> Movie 2

TV Series -> New Files

All are worth checking out, however! Well, maybe not WWXIII.

Keep hope alive. I would love an S2.
I see, thanks. Last question, which one of the two would you say is a must watch if you had to pick?

Mature

I see, thanks. Last question, which one of the two would you say is a must watch if you had to pick?
Of the two continuities? Well, each have their own merits, but I would say the movie continuity simply because the two Oshii movies are seminal films that are not to be missed.

I really loved my time with the TV series though, so you can't go wrong! If you have the means, start with the two numbered films. They're usually a great starting place since they're just fantastic movies in their own right, but they hook viewers into wanting to know more about the characters, which the TV series provides.

Edit: Here's a scene from the second movie. It's a montage of a JSDF occupied Tokyo. It shows in a glance how breathtaking the visuals and atmosphere are in the movies.

You know once I get back my laptop I'm getting the Firefox app that makes YouTube links automatically post videos. Browsing the forum with videos embedded is fucking wicked harry.

Hattori

Banned
Of the two continuities? Well, each have their own merits, but I would say the movie continuity simply because the two Oshii movies are seminal films that are not to be missed.

I really loved my time with the TV series though, so you can't go wrong! If you have the means, start with the two numbered films. They're usually a great starting place since they're just fantastic movies in their own right, but they hook viewers into wanting to know more about the characters, which the TV series provides.

Edit: Here's a scene from the second movie. It's a montage of a JSDF occupied Tokyo. It shows in a glance how breathtaking the visuals and atmosphere are in the movies.
Oh wow, that looks really good.

Thanks again!

Gundam Build Fighters 02

Who exactly is Reiji? Im sure the mystery will be revealed soon. Oh god this show is too much fun. China is hyperdorable too. The music remains upbeat, catchy and really damned good. This is one of those hidden gem shows isnt it?

HIdden ?

It's gundam , and everyone watching was going crazy about how good it was every week ?

I've bought it twice, JP import and US digital release. Also, a physical copy of the US PS3 version.

Hello fellow Project diva buyer .
Let's continue enjoying hatsune miku and other vocaloids
No i didn't buy every game on ps3,psp , vita ....well yeah i did ...

Joe Molotov

Can do, sir!

happiness precure 15
cure honey's pose is too sassy, show is bratz now.

and wtf why is Honey dropping nukes lol. And can teleport and shit. too OP.

Cure Honey drops literal moenukes. #TeamYellow too stronk, Toei pls nerf.

Hunter X Hunter 129

This episode was all about my badass Killua and I loved it. The way he said I'll kill you was amazing and that lightning god mode zapping Pouf made me happy. That ending was intense as things are about to get settled with Gon and Neferpitou. But damn is it getting me worked up as I can't freakin wait. I'm ready for my boy Gon to get started to unleash his shackles.

Gundam Build Fighters - 7

The first half of this episode was swimsuit fanservice, with not so much emphasis on the fanservice than I expected. Not that that's a bad thing.

The second half of this episode was had a lot of Gundam X love and hype though. From Mao humming the Dreams OP theme (should have gone with Resolution though) to the sweet Hyper Satellite Cannon
being fired without the moon. Just awesome.

cajunator

Banned
HIdden ?

It's gundam , and everyone watching was going crazy about how good it was every week ?

Yeah I dont remember hearing a whole lot of hype about GBF. The people who were watching it seemed to love it though. Probably would have been hyped more if it was on CR.

Syrinx

I'll download the Project Diva f demo tomorrow. Will likely end up buying something else for Vita. Not sure what though. Is Conception II any good?

Yeah I dont remember hearing a whole lot of hype about GBF. The people who were watching it seemed to love it though. Probably would have been hyped more if it was on CR.
So you missed all the hype ?
GBF was even better with Hype.

I'll download the Project Diva f demo tomorrow. Will likely end up buying something else for Vita. Not sure what though. Is Conception II any good?
Project diva f demo is not that great of a demo , while it does let you enjoy gameplay , it doesn't really tell you how to play ..it's really a small taste of the game since many people love the higher difficulties for the challenge ( nor does it has the customisation , nor the diva rooms nor the Ar/ show mode ) ..Be advised that the game is a more than the demo.
The project diva game also have a wide array of songs , from slow to fast or even very fast/evil

Conception 2 is not bad, i'm not fan of the dialog , but the premise is not bad... it's a big game regardless but you need to enjoy dongeon crawlers first to have fun.
make a thread. gaming side needs a 'lttp vita' thread every hour to stay alive.
Ah AH Sad truth.
---------------
Soul eater NOT ! - 06

Nice episode , indeed milk help you grow...
Also : death the kid scene was excellent.

---------------------------
Hapiness charge precure - 15
Happiness.Charge.Precure.15.jpg

She used "Provoke"! !! It's SUPER EFFECTIVE
How many times does : "you're weak in this territory" need to be said ..
Seriously no, plz stop asking " why are our attck not working ? " It's not something i expect to hear so many times and NO, princess , i know you're bitter about this mess but still , THINK FIRST!!

Dead

well not really...yet
So, Eureka Seven questions:

- So humanity left Earth thousands of years ago because of the Scrub Coral. How did they manage to travel for thousands more years and come back to Earth without knowing that it was Earth? Or did some people know and was the truth hidden from the rest, because Dewy knew.

- If everyone came from the spaceship, why did technology regress so much? Or perhaps a better question would be, why is technologo so inconsistent? We seem to have eveyrthing from 19 century technology through to crazy future weaponary.

- What's the deal with Archtypes, why are there so many of them anyway?

- What's the deal with the book that Holland and Dewy have? Does is tell them to wear makeup and dress like a Roman?

- The level of technology that's displayed in the series is all over the place, but when Dewy makes his big speech in the stadium it's broadcast on Satellite TV. However, if people can report the news via Satellite how the hell hasn't news gotten out to all the Towers all over the world that the Coralians are killing everything? Surely they'd just broadcast it on satellite, but apparently not?

- What's the deal with that William guy at the World's End? He can use magic to move the Pile Bunkers or something. I'm gonna assume trapar power?

- What IS a compac drive? People us them to interface/power stuff, but what's it made of? Who invented it? Why/How does it interact with people, and machinery, and the scub, and trapar. I know we're told about souls and bodies but as an everyday device it's just like a magic box which surely humans must have invented for some purpose. What is it?

- At the same time there were compac drives inside Sakura, which then ended up inside Norb. So they're organic?

- Also, Desperation Disease. How does that work? Why do drives cause it? Why is everyone cured at the end e.g. Anemone? Is it because of the destruction of the Central Cluster?

- How did a military killing squad become hippie surfers anyway? How does an underground counter culture sky surfing magazine created by outlaws get published and distributed anyway?

- If Eureka was atoning for the crime of killing the kids parents by becoming their mother, why did she just fuck off for a year and dump them with Axel?

- Whats with all the dancing?

Additional questions:

- Moondoggie went from simply having a pilots licence to being a super insansely competent pilot in like 2 months, wut?

- What's with type theEND? Where did it come from? Who made it? Why is it similar to the Nirvash?

- How does Dewy know that artificially creating another Eureka is the right way to go, and why does he know it? Why does red goop make you into a fake Coralian anyway?

- Scratch that, how does Dewy know so much about everything? I take it that it's from Ardocks notes?

- How does Dewy implant a compac drive in his chest anyway?

- Why does Eureka wear her collar for like, ever, and never try to remove it?

- Why does Norb entrust Hollland with the fate of the planet anyway?

- Why does Eureka getting a little bit sad lead to her trying to merge with the scub, when surely worse things have happened?

- Why do Eureka, Renton and Anemone get psychically linked in the Zone? For what purpose? Why does it last a bit, and then go away? Don't tell me it's about trapars!

- If the scub can alter the laws of physics, why do they even need to make antibody coralians to fight? Surely they could do far more haxor things. If they can't control the appearance of coralians antibodies at the attack sites, why not?

- What's with the Sage council? They appear to do nothing and then get removed.

- Apparently with the infinite power of love Nirvash can turn into a god like people of power and energy. Why?

- Why did they play football anyway?

Like I've said, the answer to these questions don't really matter at all to the overall show.
alright, im not gonna attempt to get everything, but here's the main stuff:

Re: Compac, desperation disease, command cluster, archetypes:

Compac drives are made with a component dug up and mined from the coral (there are instances in the series where you can see the green crystal component within the coral for example). The drive is meant to be a device that is made to harness Trappar energy, it's why its found as a tool to power something as simple as a bike to a robot. That's pretty much it. But....

The trappar is essentially the thought waves from a planetary consciousness, IIRC Norb described it as so, so in a way, the Compac can be seen as a device that is able to interface with the planetmind.

Which is why when people get desperation disease, you see them clutching to their compac drives, they are essentially drawn into the coral consciousness and are in communication with it. All the people you see in the coral cluster towards the end of the series are in effect people who suffer from desperation disease, which is why after it's destruction, you see them cured and what not. Anemone and the girls from the program she was issued from were all victims of the disease, which is why they were chosen, as they were directly linked to the coral thru the compac.

Archetypes were a primitive form of life that the coral gave birth to, as a means of communication with it's new human inhabitants. Nirvash was the archetype that was found with Eureka and the first to be made into an LFO. Type theEnd is just another archetype, but fit and designed to be a new Nirvash for Anemone.

As far as the space travel, yeah there is no official answer there. I think you can assume that humanity traveled through space and eventually there was simply nowhere left for humanity to go, and the people in charge decided to return to earth, but as it now it became something else entirely, they decided to settle there and hide the truth. Dewey pretty much admits this when he mentions hes from the lineage that brought humanity back, and considering he knows the truth...well...As far as technology, etc, I think that falls down to how humans initially settled the planet, clearly there were always signs the planet wasn't a normal planet (leading to things like religious worship etc) There's a pretty clear line between the developed and non developed areas.

The book is a real book, and a lot of the stuff between Dewey and Holland is directly inspired from it, as well as some general themes about nature etc. that's really all there is to it.

The Nirvash thing boils down to one things. Satori. Lit: a Japanese Buddhist term for awakening, "comprehension; understanding". Nirvash is a vessel for all the collected experiences and knowledge shared by both Eureka and Renton, transmitted thru the compac drive.

People dance because Sato and Kyoda are children of 80's and early 90s club culture. The show in a lot of ways is a love letter to all the music that the both of them grew on, and beyond just surface references, thematically a lot of the show can be traced back to heavy influences by bands like New Order, the fact that the first episode is named Blue Monday pretty much sets the tone for the entire series. At the time, Sato actually operated and ran an electronic music label and used those connections for a lot of the electronic music you hear in the show.

Bonus answer: The show was originally supposed to end in a completely different manner, but was changed pretty early in development/production. It was originally supposed to end with Eureka, after having been with and learned from humans, as in the show, spreading seven pieces of herself to calm the coral, feeding it knowledge (hence Eureka Seven), eventually leading to her fading away. There are some promo artworks that date back to the original series that Yoshida drew that actually directly reference the original ending pitch.

Also, that 3rd OP header...That IS the fixed pic. LOL, it was worse before. The real reason is that the 3rd OP was pretty much single handedly made by a single animator who is very well regarded and I think out of respect they didn't alter it after it was competed. Or something. But yeah, that pic should have been redrawn by Yoshida.

Last thought: Beyond any other, if there is one reason that explains why AO is so, so, so much worse of a show, I think it falls down to one thing: It's a show about nothing, it has hints of being about something but it never follows up on them. Eureka on the other hand is about so much and is full of meaning and comes off as genuine regarding all of it.

cajunator

Banned
So you missed all the hype ?
GBF was even better with Hype.

Project diva f demo is not that great of a demo , while it does let you enjoy gameplay , it doesn't really tell you how to play ..it's really a small taste of the game since many people love the higher difficulties for the challenge ( nor does it has the customisation , nor the diva rooms nor the Ar/ show mode ) ..Be advised that the game is a more than the demo.
The project diva game also have a wide array of songs , from slow to fast or even very fast/evil

Conception 2 is not bad, i'm not fan of the dialog , but the premise is not bad... it's a big game regardless but you need to enjoy dongeon crawlers first to have fun.

Ah AH Sad truth.
---------------
Soul eater NOT ! - 06

Nice episode , indeed milk help you grow...
Also : death the kid scene was excellent.

---------------------------
Hapiness charge precure - 15

How many times does : "you're weak in this territory" need to be said ..
Seriously no, plz stop asking " why are our attck not working ? " It's not something i expect to hear so many times and NO, princess , i know you're bitter about this mess but still , THINK FIRST!!

OH GOD WHO IS THAT I WANT TO HUG HER HAIR

Black Bullet 6

So they finally updated the opening, which it does look even better. Man for me this anime really knows how to blend light comical moments with tense dark moments which I preferably enjoy. Those Tina moments are great and funny, I mean she's so adorable and like able who wouldn't like her. I like how Minori is straightforward and such a tease, making scenes enjoyable for me. I'm so happy that Kisara got some screen time as I really love her character and she really knows how to handle a sword. That holding hand moment really got me too. Now that cliffhanger has left me wanting more, so yeah I can't wait till next week.

cajunator

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 05

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS. Sei and Reiji can learn a thing or two from this guy.
Also, Gunplayas get all the girls.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 17

7zuAnDgl.jpg

Strong episode showing how surprising Shou was as a kid and what a big influence his father had on his life. I was also pretty much expecting this to lead to some dramatic father dying flashback but I gotta say it was pretty weird how ambiguous (even though it was hinted) at it.

Pocket Monsters X/Y 26

2537IPnl.jpg

I guess we get introduced to Poffles and maybe the introduction of a reoccurring character. And potential love rival dun dun dun

Puchimas!! 38

More megane action.

Nisekoi 18

Still better than Haganai level of confession avoidance.

Yowamushi Pedal 31

Look at all that ace shounen action.

Majin Bone 07

Off to the mystical and I guess unknown place of Melbourne.

Youkai Watch 11

Muri~

CorvoSol

Space Buttleship Yamato 7

How did Theonik survive this show? So much booty. Even the creepy robot skeleton has dat ass. Mopey fat guy is best, though, because he is the one ugly crew member and that is a pain like no other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom