• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

I know two friends of mine on this board who will be very pleased to hear. And for me, if it's streaming online, that makes it easier to watch it. Maybe after Crystal. Like I said, getting caught up on my magical girl history is a top priority.

Clov

If not even Japan has blurays yet, there's no way Viz's BD release won't just be upscales.

Watching the livestream, they said that Viz was doing the "extensive restoration process". I'd hope that's not an upscale, but I'll remain cautious.

Narag

Did not know Sailor Moon had 3 movies.

Any of them good?

R movie is Ikuhara to the max. SuperS movie is kinda the show's themes redux.

S movie is level 6 lewd:

rNGZQ9rl.jpg

Bikkun

Neo Member
Did not know Sailor Moon had 3 movies.

Any of them good?

R is god tier. S is an adaptation of a manga story and is good enough if you can enjoy cat romance. SuperS is a fun little romp that thankfully shares little with the season. Hell, people speculate it takes place in early Sailor Stars.

cnet128

Banned
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 7

Yeah, I have no clue how Woofington is managing to not enjoy this. I'd never claim that Part 3 is the best of Jojo, but this is still easily the best show for pure entertainment value this season.

That orangutan was just as massive a troll as I remembered XD Love it.

(And of course, all the random Ann fanservice doesn't hurt.)

Narag

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 7

Yeah, I have no clue how Woofington is managing to not enjoy this. I'd never claim that Part 3 is the best of Jojo, but this is still easily the best show for pure entertainment value this season.

That orangutan was just as massive a troll as I remembered XD Love it.

(And of course, all the random Ann fanservice doesn't hurt.)

monster stand of the week seems like something that one could easily not enjoy

Tenumi

Banned
I never took JoJo as some super serious show that has to be taken in with a stoic look on one's face. It's ridiculous, and it knows it. The best shows out there realize that, I think.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think he explained it well, but what actually makes a show/manga/game "chuuni" is usually the presentation. It's kinda derogatory in the same way as how some people tend to look down comic book or videogame style works in the west which try super hard to be taken seriously.

When you have something like Naruto or One Piece, where it's clearly targeted at kids and not trying to be anything more, that's not really chuuni because it knows what it is. But when you have those same elements but in a more "serious" context where the authors clearly seem to be taking everything seriously even though it has ridiculous stuff like "The 5th Holy Grail War" and all sorts of made up "rules" and characters shouting attacks while doing them, that's definitely what people would call "chuuni". That also includes all sorts of references to "cool" stuff like [The Mage Association] and so on. It's just viewed as very childish manchildren stuff. Yes, stuff like Xenogears and FFXV are totally viewed that way too.

I guess one parallel in a western context would be the term "syfy". It doesn't mean the same thing, but in cultural tone it's similar in the sense that it's a critique by viewers comparing actual scifi works which are approached in good faith, and scifi works which are just pandering dumbed down stuff meant to hook dumb audiences with superficial presentation and garbage worldbuilding which relies on twists and poorly thought out but cool sounding stuff. Oh, and I guess "phantasy" works the same way too.

Well learn something new every day I guess. Although I would say that I've never really heard people use syfy in that context though, usually just in ways to mock Syfy and their stupid movies.

Articalys

So the question now, is there possibly anything that Funimation and/or Aniplex could announce at their panels tomorrow that would trump this?

Theonik

Escaflowne of the Heavens 06
iiYplGDOV2uOw.png

Almost as salty as the FGC. ALMOST.
One thing I don't like with this series is how abrupt the episode endings feel. Then they lead to that ED and all the magic vanishes in an instant.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
R is god tier. S is an adaptation of a manga story and is good enough if you can enjoy cat romance. SuperS is a fun little romp that thankfully shares little with the season. Hell, people speculate it takes place in early Sailor Stars.
Other way around! The movie came before that story in the manga.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Told some friends that Sailor Moon is heading back to the states. Their reaction was best summed up as follows.

HkMg62N.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom