• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Fairy Musketeers 16-18

Liked getting Briar Rose's backstory. Her parents are really farmers more than they are rulers. It's one of the more humble depictions of elves I've seen in fiction. Their ears make Nerine's look small. I think the SD-ish character design has something to do with that. The clover in your heart thing was a little cheesy, but it's a kids' show, so I can't fault it entirely for messages like that. It was all about getting Princess Miyukichi her confidence back.

I figured out the twist of episode 17 as soon as Souta went into the mirror. The clues were obvious. The story happened 1,000 years ago, and the girl's black hair only really resembles one character in the show.
So is even the main villain a tragic heroine?
Nice Town of the Week, though.

18 was what I was talking about earlier with Date A Live. Those music videos were obviously there to sell the character song albums. But I love character songs, so I'm cool with it. The return of Hamelin and the Bremen Musicians was welcome, too. It was a fun little one off, and, though not produced by Toei, kinda reminded of the G3 Princess episode of Go-Onger.

Zukyu~n!

Articalys

Ah right, I forgot that Viz shows were on there. Too bad, because it's like the one service that's US only. lol
From their Facebook post, response to a fan question:
Are we able to watch it outside the US???

Not yet but we're working on ways to show content in Canada!
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialVIZMedia/posts/10152451708678552

I mean, whether or not you believe it'll come to pass is up to you, but at least they claim they're trying!

Branduil

Gojira

This was a pretty good anime. You can tell that Gareth Edwards really gets Godzilla, and he gives us one of the best depictions of the king of monsters ever. Most of my criticisms would be related to stuff that could have been done better, rather than things that are legitimately bad. Basically, it would have been a better film if
Cranston
was the main character. The film in particular drags from
the moment Godzilla and Muto face off in Hawaii until the climax in San Francisco
. But the parts before and after that are golden.

*sees R is god tier*

H8DiRIT.jpg

Guess I'll get ready for Jojo potato adventure

Gojira

This was a pretty good anime. You can tell that Gareth Edwards really gets Godzilla, and he gives us one of the best depictions of the king of monsters ever. Most of my criticisms would be related to stuff that could have been done better, rather than things that are legitimately bad. Basically, it would have been a better film if
Cranston
was the main character. The film in particular drags from
the moment Godzilla and Muto face off in Hawaii until the climax in San Francisco
. But the parts before and after that are golden.

For all the big and small gripes I may have with how they handled the actors and the characters they play, it still gets how to portray giant monsters wreaking havoc on various cities well with its great sense of scale and buildup to a lot of great moments, so it all works out in the end.

But really, we need more Cranston in anime whether it's an english dub or him speaking japanese. lol

Captain Earth 5

That was the best episode so far, which isn't saying much as it was still pretty weak. People floating in space and blood floating in space always looks cool, and our MC was not in the episode outside of the first 30 seconds which made things a lot better.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Akuma no Riddle - 05

Nooooooo! There goes my hopes of
getting more Isuke x Haruki scenes
. T-T

LOL at Isuke being okay after having a stage set fall on top of her. This show can't kill of characters it seems.

You know what anime needs more of? Pirate shows.

And I mean actual pirate shows and not so moe pirate. And yes I am aware of space pirates. I mean an actual pirate show. With yar har fiddle lee dee action

Clov

Viz just tweeted that the Sailor Moon Blu-Rays are created from "the latest Japanese Blu-Ray master". I guess it's not an upscale, and it probably confirms that Japan is getting Blu-Rays soon.

wonzo

Banned
Viz just tweeted that the Sailor Moon Blu-Rays are created from "the latest Japanese Blu-Ray master". I guess it's not an upscale, and it probably confirms that Japan is getting Blu-Rays soon.
Must be some crappy masters if the provided image is actually what Viz's release will look like.

You know what anime needs more of? Pirate shows.

And I mean actual pirate shows and not so moe pirate. And yes I am aware of space pirates. I mean an actual pirate show. With yar har fiddle lee dee action

You want Pirates, watch One Piece. I mean it has pirates with deep character development, even a ship gets character development.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 182

A showcase for Lucy, Yukino and the celestial spirits. After last week's stalling for time, this one was at least fun. I knew as soon as the whirlpools hit that Aquarius was coming, even if she won't get to do anything until next week. Pisces' true form was pretty neat. I thought it was odd that they weren't humanoid like most of the spirits, but that answers that. Got a few laughs from Natsu's fight, too. Collateral damage is just something that happens for him. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

You want Pirates, watch One Piece. I mean it has pirates with deep character development, even a ship gets character development.

Annnnd that's pretty much the entire problem. One Piece pretty much monopolized the entire Pirate "genre" in anime. Nobody can make another anime about pirates and avoid it being compared to One Piece.

Date A Live 2 6
Excellent introduction to the opening. Very :SDBurton. Too bad the actual episode sort o f lacked that element. Go Origami.

Man, anime in the west has been on a roll with the classics hasn't it?

First the CardCaptor Sakura announcement and now Sailor Moon!

What other classic anime is left to get this treatment?

I don't want a shonen show that happens to be set in a pirate-like setting. I want nitty gritty pirates. I'll take a romanticized Pirates of the Caribbean-like anime if I have to. Maybe what I want truly is for anime to leave its comfort zone.

Captain Earth 6

Someone needs to get in a fucking mech and fight someone else in a fucking mech good lord this show is slow

Also can Daichi & Hana FUCK already god damn, Teppei and magic girl are close but not there yet

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, anime in the west has been on a roll with the classics hasn't it?

First the CardCaptor Sakura announcement and now Sailor Moon!

What other classic anime is left to get this treatment?

Almost everything of worth released in the pre-digital era.

I don't want a shonen show that happens to be set in a pirate-like setting. I want nitty gritty pirates. I'll take a romanticized Pirates of the Caribbean-like anime if I have to. Maybe what I want truly is for anime to leave its comfort zone.

When was Pirates and Romance a thing, unless your talking about the sea and adventure as a pirate being romanticizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom