• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man nothing like reading a lovely fantasy romantic story with a guy that looks like David Tennant as the lead to forget about all the shojo tropes I've read recently. Such a refreshing story, and it's a webcomic with beautiful art as well. The female lead looked like Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

And I was surprised to find that even in western webcomics we could still find moe

2TcUXMH.jpg

I thought of you Cajun.

If it were just about the destination then Wikipedia would offer the same experience!

Well sure but it puts a damper on the experience. It sure sucked the motivation I had to keep watching over the course of the next few days. I'll return to it another time in the vain hope that I'll forget the spoiler.

Reaching into the hat and it's.... Hyouka or G Gundam.

Conan-san

If it were just about the destination then Wikipedia would offer the same experience!

Except one was well established from the start while the other was an asspull.
Pretty much this. One feels like a conclusion to a characters arc whilst the other is like an anti conclusion, a spit in the face of the story and its themes that happened purely on the basis that it was Gaianx who was making it and they still had to get their Eva rocks off in the Anti-Eva cartoon

(KLK)
Senketsu's death
had meaning and nuance to it and served to set the partner in the relationship free to explore the future.

(GL)
Nia's death
on the other hand only exists as an object lesson with the theme running counter to GL's story. It would have made more thematic sense for
Simon
to go.

Pretty much this. One feels like a conclusion to a characters arc whilst the other is like an anti conclusion, a spit in the face of the story and its themes that happened purely on the basis that it was Gaianx who was making it and they still had to get their Eva rocks off in the Anti-Eva cartoon

(KLK)
Senketsu's death
had meaning and nuance to it and served to set the partner in the relationship free to explore the future.

(GL)
Nia's death
on the other hand only exists as an object lesson with the theme running counter to GL's story. It would have made more thematic sense for
Simon
to go.

No the theme was very clear in Gurren Lagann
If you love somebody they'll die so you're better off as a hobo or as a creepy old lady that did NOT age well

MY PARENTS. ARE.

DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

cajunator

Banned

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Better than the horrendous things we have now probably!

Only way to go is up!

From the panel:

"All the names, all the relationships, all the genders, everything uncut."

Yesssssssss. The Dic dub was butchered so savagely.

@VIZMedia: #sailormoon deets: no more Serena and Darien, meet Usagi and Mamoru

this is the bare minimum requirement!

Hey, that's the one I remember my sister having on VHS. A cat was indeed fine too.

silly Zachy kun

looooool

So the question now, is there possibly anything that Funimation and/or Aniplex could announce at their panels tomorrow that would trump this?

not really. This and Cardcaptor Sakura on bluray are pretty much the holy grails to my collection and Im sure many others too. Not much else has the significance and weight of this announcement. This is the big one.

There we go.

:D

My hype for Viz's announcement is gone, bluray shot looks upscaled.

Anyways, love it when artists post huge pics on pixiv

Upscale or not yall know durability is the word that appeals to me not picture quality, though I fully welcome any enhancement.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Starting tomorrow, im gonna get back to, and finishing toradora. Been mostly on a anime hiatus since I got busy with life.

Conan-san

No the theme was very clear in Gurren Lagann
If you love somebody they'll die so you're better off as a hobo or as a creepy old lady that did NOT age well

MY PARENTS. ARE.

DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.
I didn't say it wasn't clear, I said it was stupid and ran counter to the themes of the story (Which up to that point seem to point at (GL)
Better to die young for what you believe in than to live forever in static to protect a status quo

Like I said, if anime YHVH came down from anime heaven and demanded a sacrifice for the story of GL, it would have been better served by
Simon
taking the bullet.

Thoraxes

It wouldn't trump it, but I would love to see a damn Cowboy Bebop BD date.

Would be hella nice.

It's been a long time since they confirmed it for 2014. Would definitely love a date.

And a long shot, but i'd like to see KLK's bluray date for the west too, considering they're apparently showing off the dub there (won't probably hear anything till a complete collection well after the JP versions finish).

cajunator

Banned

Thank youuuuuuuu

My dream is to have Ufotable pirate show. And the theme song would have to be SAAAAAAAIL

please no. Perhaps Come Sail Away though.

Viz just backpedaled on Twitter; they're now saying it's from the Japanese remaster. Upscale confirmed? :(

I done care how they master it. I just want some pretty Sailor Moon blurays!

Dang, guess I'd better go convince some friends to go see Godzilla.

I was gonna watch it tonight but my family wanted to celebrate my birthday so I postponed it. Possibly next weekend.

Man, anime in the west has been on a roll with the classics hasn't it?

First the CardCaptor Sakura announcement and now Sailor Moon!

What other classic anime is left to get this treatment?

Floodgates are finally opening. It was inevitable but very long in coming. Im just glad its finally here.

If I had made the list bigger she would have been on it. I will say this, the illustrations where her hair is a bit more compact make her look better.
Kaede was top 20'ish for me, largely because of her design, but her quotes and hobbies make her seem kinda dull. She's one of the most popular CGs though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man I'm so burned out on anime, Escha is the only thing I'm even keeping up with anymore

Eh, do what I did. Take a break. Only thing I'm watching is HeartCatch Precure. And it's not current, so I can just take my time with it. I'm not even watching the shorts I said I'd keep up with like Puchimas S2 (though it's not like that won't be easy enough to blaze through in a day once I get around to it). Hell, watch some old wrasslin' on the Network or somethin'. No need to keep watching anime if you're burnt out.

Also I don't know why I typed all that out 'cause you clearly said you're only watching Atelier. :lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kaede was top 20'ish for me, largely because of her design, but her quotes and hobbies make her seem kinda dull. She's one of the most popular CGs though.
Due to the lack of info for most of them (pretty sure two didn't even have a page) I decided to be a bit shallow and judged on looks. That and I didn't want to spend forever reading 100~ pages. Other picks could have been Manami Kiba, Arisa Mochida and Natsuki Kimura if she kept her hair down.

Where can I see a ranking of the CGs?

Man I'm so burned out on anime, Escha is the only thing I'm even keeping up with anymore

Let's get down to business

To watch Western TV!

Did they send me lollies?

When I asked! For detective dramaaaaaas

I'm the most honest man you'll ever meet

And AnimeGAF the truth will not forgeeeeeeeet

Hannibal is better than moe girls doing jack shiiiiiiiiiiIiIiIiIit~

Having said that yes, watch some western tv. If you want recommendations on somewhat current tv shows, let me know.

Due to the lack of info for most of them (pretty sure two didn't even have a page) I decided to be a bit shallow and judged on looks. That and I didn't want to spend forever reading 100~ pages. Other picks could have been Manami Kiba, Arisa Mochida and Natsuki Kimura if she kept her hair down.

Where can I see a ranking of the CGs?
I noticed a slight reoccurring theme in your picks and wondered if that was the case! Anyway:

2013 Election results
2014 Election results

Each one only has top 50, since it's probably too much of a hassle to rank all of them.

cajunator

Banned
Because its another example of how a good thing can be ruined with forced drama and romance, worst movie this year so far.

Only good part was Interstellar trailer and Into the Storm.

Well it cant be worse than the previous Godzilla. It doesnt have Mathew Broderick.

It really is just Star Driver robbed of the camp, which was its one big redeeming quality.

This is where we stand after six episodes. SIX EPISODES.

(shamelessly stolen from /a/)

I must make sense of this convoluted situation!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I noticed a slight reoccurring theme in your picks and wondered if that was the case! Anyway:

2013 Election results
2014 Election results

Each one only has top 50, since it's probably too much of a hassle to rank all of them.
Well looking at those two charts it looks like I basically lose completely. Well if I didn't stick to 18+ idols I may have picked Mio Honda so I guess there's that. You know, when I saw the listing for a forever 17 alien I had a feeling she would be popular and it looks like my hunch was correct.

cajunator

Banned
This is my understanding of Captain Earth, personally:

I really like your chart

Really hyped for the return of Sailor Moon to the US. I hope the new dub is handled well, because it would be really great to see a quality dub. Either way, getting an official release of the show is awesome. It's nice to see this announcement shortly after the CCS announcement.

the dub can only get better

hmm.

Holy fuck, Sailor Moon blurays.

Between this, Bebop, and CCS this year I am fucking elated.

Like god damn, this shit is amazing. Keep it coming because I will just keep buying all of it!

YOU AND ME BOTH BEAR
LETS SAVE ANIME

cajunator

Banned
Man nothing like reading a lovely fantasy romantic story with a guy that looks like David Tennant as the lead to forget about all the shojo tropes I've read recently. Such a refreshing story, and it's a webcomic with beautiful art as well. The female lead looked like Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

And I was surprised to find that even in western webcomics we could still find moe

I thought of you Cajun.

dawww
that does look like David Tennant lol.

Nah, we all agreed that no ranking is wrong if Miki is at the bottom. After that everyone else is fairly equal at the top.

Got a good point but Makoto is simply way too low to accept it.

Hmmmmm I do believe that tomorrow I shall enjoy another episode of Garzey's Wing. If not finish the last two I have.

edit: well.. today haha

finish all of it!

take a break from it. Youll regain interest again and there will be plenty for the backlog.

I don't think you have experienced the magic of SAAAAAAAAIL

NO

2013 Election results
2014 Election results

It has Koume and Ranko. Im fine with this.

Theonik

Escaflowne of the Heavens 12
iRdUEyY7wp5jC.png

:SDBurton
Some nitpicks aside I'm really liking how this series has been progressing. Pacing feels a bit off though, and the drama is a bit too heavy handed. And it feels like something a 12 year old girl would write at times.

Escaflowne of the Heavens 13
This episode was great.

duckroll

Chaika is getting a bonus original episode as an OAD release with the 12th volume of the novel on March 15 2015. It's a blu-ray too, not DVD. That should be the final volume of the novel too, so... the anime should end two months before the novels. Lol.

Midonin

Daimidaler 07

"You were chosen first because your name is first in the alphabet!"

This is just the kind of mecha show I've been looking for. While the old team had Yoko Hikasa, I really do like Kiriko and Shouma a lot more. They're kinda shy about getting intimate with each other, but their love is pure and firmly established. And turning into something resembling the original Daimidaler as an equippable powerup is a concept I can get behind. So many Englishy interjections from Ritz. And Sewashiko is also starting to become a favorite of mine - the scientists as a whole are pretty great.

e_i

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Only way to go is up!

Yesssssssss. The Dic dub was butchered so savagely.

this is the bare minimum requirement!

silly Zachy kun

looooool

not really. This and Cardcaptor Sakura on bluray are pretty much the holy grails to my collection and Im sure many others too. Not much else has the significance and weight of this announcement. This is the big one.

:D

Upscale or not yall know durability is the word that appeals to me not picture quality, though I fully welcome any enhancement.

I want to buy this for the uncut dub. Given Viz's handling of the Ranma 1/2 Blu-ray, I think the PQ will be fine.

Gurren Lagann 1

Summary:
Gainax made this but it's clear the team that would later form Trigger did this show. It's weird to say it has heavy KLK vibes when it should be the other way around but seeing as I saw KLK first you guys will just have to roll with it. Of course Yoko is cool but her get up and even personality is fanservicey as all hell. Naturally for the precursor for KLK, this show tries really hard to be cool and unintentionally (or maybe not?) just makes it funny cause it always seems they are trying too hard to be "cool".

It was enjoyable enough for a first episode. Will have to see more to determine how it pans out and what I feel about the story and characters. As it stands the first episode is "meh". I have seen rougher starts.

Also the way they use the camera in a lot of the shots reminded me of KLK. The pull back shot, "plot" shots, etc.

Every time I watch this episode I always feel awesome during that ending scene with Lagann. Still my all time favourite anime.

Lol. I'll take your word for it. I wasn't a big KLK fan. It was a fun time waster I guess.

And the initial impressions are really the only worry spots I have with the show. It's super stylized which is pretty rad. Animation is top notch (as expected from a Gainax production) and the characters have some good personalities that seem to blend well. Also compared to KLK it seems like they actually thought of a decent plot.

You have no damn idea.

Well sure but it puts a damper on the experience. It sure sucked the motivation I had to keep watching over the course of the next few days. I'll return to it another time in the vain hope that I'll forget the spoiler.

Reaching into the hat and it's.... Hyouka or G Gundam.

Don't worry about that spoiler. I was spoiled on some things for this show and it didn't damper the experience at all for me.

You know what I do when I accidentally spoil myself on something? I delude my mind into thinking that it was a lie. That way I still get a good chunk of the experience! It works for me! Don't let that one spoiler stop you from experiencing this show man! There were tons of other things you could have been spoiled on as well in this show!

EDIT: Seriously though, please don't let that one thing ruin your motivation when you finally got to my favourite anime :(

Quasar

It seems anime has damaged me. Was watching the film Liberal Arts, and was surprised/disappointed the mains did not get together, as they certainly would have if it was anime. Or maybe its just my Elizabeth Olsen crush talking.

Westlo

Let's get down to business

To watch Western TV!

Did they send me lollies?

When I asked! For detective dramaaaaaas

I'm the most honest man you'll ever meet

And AnimeGAF the truth will not forgeeeeeeeet

Hannibal is better than moe girls doing jack shiiiiiiiiiiIiIiIiIit~

Having said that yes, watch some western tv. If you want recommendations on somewhat current tv shows, let me know.

dat goat disney song

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
If I had made the list bigger she would have been on it. I will say this, the illustrations where her hair is a bit more compact make her look better.

I understand! :D

2013 Election results
2014 Election results

That's badass Anastasia was able to get in the top 5 for the 2013 election. Was bummed to see she didn't have a VA yet, but there may be hope!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wake Up, Girls! "Movie" and 1-2

Well this is certainly a shift compared to iDOLM@STER. OP and ED are pretty lazy, even the placeholders for Psycho Pass looked better. Well if I grow up to be a lechy old man I know Japan will welcome me with open arms. Miss President is my favourite.

Westlo

That's badass Anastasia was able to get in the top 5 for the 2013 election. Was bummed to see she didn't have a VA yet, but there may be hope!

Huh? Isn't Sumire Uesaka her VA? Anyway Anastasia was the one I liked the best when I briefly looked through them when the anime was announced.

Jarmel

Banned
I mentioned this briefly in an earlier post but I just wanted to quickly talk about the reunification scene in Episode 48 of Eureka Seven. Everyone talks about episode 26 with Eureka meeting Renton again but nobody really discusses Anemone and Dominic's sequence which is in some ways more emotional. Dominic after being abused by Anemone the entire show up to this point, is gone. Anemone spirals into a depression and due to the compac drive, which seems to be a psuedo way of allowing 'Newtypes' to talk to each other, Renton and Eureka hear her monologue.
If they tell me that I can live on after this battle
I'll buy a small mirror and practice smiling
I'll practice over and over.
So I can see him again...
If they tell me that I can live without hurting anyone else...
I'll tie up my hair swaying in the wind,
take one giant leap onto the earth,
and then hold my head up high and go see him.
I want to live.
To say my thanks.
I want to live... To give so many feelings to people.
I want to live.
I wish I didn't realize I had feelings like these!
But, it hurts so much!
He isn't with me anymore!
Anemone as a flower symbolizes dying hope and being forsake; and here is Anemone at her lowest thinking that she's all alone and this is going to be the end for her. There's even a shot of her namesake, the flower, in the scene. She feels Dominic has left her after all her abuse and she's on this suicide mission and this is really all that's left for her. The lead up to this is a lot darker in tone compared to the more triumphant Episode 26 but I think the contrast works so well so that when Anemone sees Dominic coming for her, she and theEnd bloom. Also instead of acting tsundere or whatever, she really does live up to her speech earlier and confesses her emotions to him. It's a really fantastic climax not only of redemption but allowing one's self to be saved.

Another point, just on the hair element, look at Renton's hair in the scene. His hair is much longer compared to the start of the series, it's much closer to a mullet. I would say this is a good visual element that shows how much he's progressed since the start of the series. Another character in the show had a similar hairstyle,
139325.jpg

This could be taken as further evidence of Renton taking after Charles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom