• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The IM@S movie isn't out on DVD until October?

Man. What the hell is it with Japan and the stupid amount of time between theater and DVD releases? 9 months between theater and DVD is ridiculous.

Wake Up, Girls! "Movie" and 1-2

Well this is certainly a shift compared to iDOLM@STER. OP and ED are pretty lazy, even the placeholders for Psycho Pass looked better. Well if I grow up to be a lechy old man I know Japan will welcome me with open arms. Miss President is my favourite.

Its definitely third in line after iM@S and Love Live. It gets a bit better towards the end but the VA sounds flat and low rent, which kind of annoyed me.

That's badass Anastasia was able to get in the top 5 for the 2013 election. Was bummed to see she didn't have a VA yet, but there may be hope!

I still have some sliver of hope that she'll have a brief appearance in the CG anime. I have to believe.

Also, Kaede and Anastasia appreciation? SD, why can't I quit you?~

Huh? Isn't Sumire Uesaka her VA? Anyway Anastasia was the one I liked the best when I briefly looked through them when the anime was announced.
Yep, and she actually speaks Russian as well. Anastasia's a good pick, she was around my top 15 or something.

That's badass Anastasia was able to get in the top 5 for the 2013 election. Was bummed to see she didn't have a VA yet, but there may be hope!
See above! Like many of the popular CGs, she has a solo release, plus she featured in the group CD for the top 5 of the 2013 Election.

rxGudZQ.jpg
QDteDrz.jpg

Well looking at those two charts it looks like I basically lose completely. Well if I didn't stick to 18+ idols I may have picked Mio Honda so I guess there's that. You know, when I saw the listing for a forever 17 alien I had a feeling she would be popular and it looks like my hunch was correct.
Just think of it as you having, er, highly individual tastes. IIRC most of my favourites made the top 50, aside from Hijiri Mochizuki (sad face) and Mutsumi Ujiie (ditto). Fumika Sagisawa didn't rank in 2013 (not sure if she was around for the vote) but came 6th in 2014 so she likely has a bright future.

Neo C.

The CD of Kuroko's 2nd season is soooo good. All things considered, the first one feels a bit fresher though, the second one is (naturally) more into epic themes.

Hey how do you guys feel about the first Opening of Code Geass, because for me it has grown on me. Like it's one of my favorite openings and I just love it when the song reaches the climax it's so good.

Hey how do you guys feel about the first Opening of Code Geass, because for me it has grown on me. Like it's one of my favorite openings and I just love it when the song reaches the climax it's so good.

I can barely remember any of the Geass OPs so I must not have thought much of them

Irregular At Magic High School 5

Out of nowhere explosions and guys with guns this series really is all over the place

KtSlime

Trust me... you really don't. Where the anime is going to end is a much better stopping point than allowing yourself to get dragged along endlessly.

Oh, that's too bad. I really wanted to see Chitoge win.

I remember when films used to come out in the CINEMA a year after their US release (see - early 90s Disney movies).

It's still pretty much that way, the big film here right now is Frozen, I can't make it a day without hearing the song, on the news, in the mall, at the barber.

The only song I can remember from the show is Mozaiku Kakera, but I think that's an ending.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just think of it as you having, er, highly individual tastes. IIRC most of my favourites made the top 50, aside from Hijiri Mochizuki (sad face) and Mutsumi Ujiie (ditto). Fumika Sagisawa didn't rank in 2013 (not sure if she was around for the vote) but came 6th in 2014 so she likely has a bright future.
I suppose preferring adults to children is considered unique in the iM@S fanbase. I kid I kid. I'll wait for the anime to make my final choice.

I remember when films used to come out in the CINEMA a year after their US release (see - early 90s Disney movies).
Disney can still be pretty bad. For example Wreck Ralph
US: 2 November 2012
UK: 8 February 2013

No excuse for that.

sasuke_91

I like FLOW, so the first OP is pretty cool imo.
I still think the other openings were better, though. Especially the last one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep, and she actually speaks Russian as well. Anastasia's a good pick, she was around my top 15 or something.

See above! Like many of the popular CGs, she has a solo release, plus she featured in the group CD for the top 5 of the 2013 Election.

Wait wait wait.

How the heck do characters with absolutely no personality, no voice, and just found in a side game, so popular?

Narag

Godzilla

Kind of a mess when the cute kaiju weren't doing cute kaiju things. Cranston & Watanabe wasted and so many baffling decisions by the military too.

I would say those guys know exactly how dumb they're being, but push it to a level other shows just don't, making it cool again.

I thought KLK's first episode was way more entertaining than TTGL's.

Gurren Lagann's definitely the better show in my eyes. While I like KLK's character and world design better, TTGL's story gets way more done in 20-something episodes, while being more interesting to boot.

Honestly I see Gurren Lagann and KLK as being the anime versions of this:

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! holds up spork my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me _… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again _^ hehe&#8230;toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

They try too hard and I don't find it funny or cool as a result. Yeah you can say they are self-aware and doing it intentionally, but that doesn't actually make it less awful. I fucking rolled my eyes so hard when in KLK they had the protagonist loudly exclaim "MAKING NO SENSE FOR US IS NORMAL!" or some other such bullshit.

Risette

A Good Citizen

They try too hard and I don't find it funny or cool as a result. Yeah you can say they are self-aware and doing it intentionally, but that doesn't actually make it less awful. I fucking rolled my eyes so hard when in KLK they had the protagonist loudly exclaim "MAKING NO SENSE FOR US IS NORMAL!" or some other such bullshit.
this is my least favorite post of the day

I'll say that both shows had their moments. Though while I watched KLK to completion, but couldn't get through Gurren Lagann because I found the mechs stupid, Kamina to be too try-hard "teh p3nguin 0f DOOM", and the setting (aesthetically) dull.

Gundam Build Fighters (Series)

Man, what a ride. So glad I waited to see the entire series at once. Great characters, awesome battles, and some really good humor. I have a giant smile on my face after finishing the last episode.

I think I would have enjoyed it 10x more if I watched more Gundam previously and knew more about the worlds and lores as the only ones I've watched fully were Wing + Endless Waltz. So when I saw Wing Gundam and Heavyarms I was totally ecstatic. I cant imagine how amazing this show was for longtime Gundam fans with all this fanservice and I probably missed out on a lot of inside jokes and references.

The whole Gundam mafia thing was hilarious and I thought it was odd Alia and her company bowed to their employer. I thought they were all Finnish or something? Also, what did Sei call China? The subs said "Kousaka" when he kept called her Inchou or something like that.

Regardless, I thought it was great. Gave me Pokemon vibes for some reason, especially Meijins outfit. Very excited for a season 2.

Midonin

Nisekoi 19

The drama's mostly resolved itself. And as much as I brought up during Riddle that Romeo and Juliet is overdone as a play (given the nature of many romcoms, you'd think A Midsummer Night's Dream would work better), this is one series where the basic setup is Romeo and Julietish enough that using it plays off the text pretty well. Also, Marika had a blast playing the understudy, and remains my favorite of the girls. Only one episode to go... the time it gave up for episodes of Hanamonogatari that won't be materializing until August. Such is Shaft.

Jex

I got spoiled on that and another important event as well, but TTGL still became my favorite anime of all time. It's not as important as everything else that's going on.

I have to agree with cosmicblizzard here. TTGL isn't a series that can be 'ruined' by having elements of the story spoiled. At all. The quality of the series hinges on the direction, the characters and the animation, not on some plot twist.

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters (Series)
The whole Gundam mafia thing was hilarious and I thought it was odd Alia and her company bowed to their employer. I thought they were all Finnish or something? Also, what did Sei call China? The subs said "Kousaka" when he kept called her Inchou or something like that..

Inchou. Class rep iirc.

I have to agree with cosmicblizzard here. TTGL isn't a series that can be 'ruined' by having elements of the story spoiled. At all. The quality of the series hinges on the direction, the characters and the animation, not on some plot twist.

It kills me how readily people are willing to discard a show based on learning some random plot element in advance.

Jex

Okay, leaving aside your opinion on the directorial/written style of TTGL I don't think there's any doubt at all that the show is self-aware.

I'd respond more directly to your argument about the series but you don't appear to have made any kind of properly formulated critique that I can reply to. You've stated that you dislike the shows style but I don't see the next step e.g. why it's actually a bad show and why.
Submitted?

Articalys

Nisekoi ep.19

Raku deserved every ounce of that slap for being the dense idiot that he is.

Time for the climax next week! Looking forward to it.

Jarmel

Banned

KLK is guilty of this with all the Nui shit. There's random shit for the sake of random shit. TTGL however operated more on the rule of cool but also had underlying mechanics.

What the fuck happened to you Nakashima? You were the chosen one!

Link Man

Banned
Gojira

More faithful than Notzilla, but too slow and everything involving humans was pretty dumb. Monster fights were cool, though too little time dedicated to them.

Branduil

Escaflowne of the Heavens 12

Some nitpicks aside I'm really liking how this series has been progressing. Pacing feels a bit off though, and the drama is a bit too heavy handed. And it feels like something a 12 year old girl would write at times.

Escaflowne of the Heavens 13
This episode was great.

I've been meaning to ask, but why are you calling it that instead of "The Vision of Escaflowne"?

Clov

KLK is guilty of this with all the Nui shit. There's random shit for the sake of random shit. TTGL however operated more on the rule of cool but also had underlying mechanics.

What the fuck happened to you Nakashima? You were the chosen one!

I agree with this; when crazy stuff was happening in Gurren Lagann, I at least understood that "it's spiral power!" or something like that. It was a little hand-wavey, but when watching it it felt like it made sense. Kill la Kill more often than not left me confused.

For example, the powers of the scissor blade made little sense to me.
At first it's simply "the scissor blade can sever life fibers", and it made sense. Then it's "you actually need TWO scissor blades to REALLY sever life fibers!" If that's the case, why was Nui's eye destroyed with only one blade? If two blades can permanently cut life fibers, how come Ryuko was able to withstand both scissor blades when Nui attacked her with them? If the blades are in fact just hardened life fibers, why are they such a big deal when Ragyo can literally conjure hardened life fiber blades out of thin air?

Maybe Gurren Lagann had similar problems and I just didn't notice them? Or maybe I missed out on something in Kill la Kill? I just didn't like it as much.

NISEKOI - 19

As if we neededmore proof that onodera , while being a great girl is not meant to be sucessfull.

It's no use... you're not meant to be in the spotlight !!!

#TeamChitose

After taking off his clothing and hugging a young boy, he then proposes to the cop.

I'm not even joking.

And...
did he accept? gay end? Or it just it ends here?
what was the deal with the cop's gf? I think I read something about her being missing for a while. And all the bizarre stuff that happens, did they recur to the "Haruhi"-reality-warping type of explanation, or played it straight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom