• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
And...
did he accept? gay end? Or it just it ends here?
what was the deal with the cop's gf? I think I read something about her being missing for a while. And all the bizarre stuff that happens, did they recur to the "Haruhi"-reality-warping type of explanation, or played it straight?

In order:
It's left sort of ambiguous if they are a thing or not. His GF left on a journey of sorts. And... kind of. There is divine intervention involved in this, yes.

Clov

And...
did he accept? gay end? Or it just it ends here?
what was the deal with the cop's gf? I think I read something about her being missing for a while. And all the bizarre stuff that happens, did they recur to the "Haruhi"-reality-warping type of explanation, or played it straight?

Not really a gay end (but still incredibly gay), Flamenco was just trying to understand love so he could defeat his enemy (the boy that he hugs while naked). The cop's GF died in an accident long ago, the texts he got from her was just him texting himself. The stuff is sort of played straight; it all really happened, and Flamenco meets the will of the universe after defeating Alien Flamenco who says that his adventures will be sold as DVDs to people in other dimensions to watch. I think that was it.

Theonik

Escaflowne of the Heavens 14
iMbFNmEOEgFqt.png
i9hOlPJuE59n2.png

lol
The fight at the end of this was amazing.
But I can't help but feel that meeting the Escaflowne's creators was kinda anti-climactic. The mystery was so up to that point.
That mermaid though. and this fucking guy kinda made up for it.

Akagi 01-03
Akagi is basically the anti-kaiji isn't he. So good though. I fear that the pacing's gonna be hella bogged already though. Getting Kaiji S2 vibes.
Kaiji also doesn't have an OP that can compete with S1 Kaiji OP and an inferior narrator too.

I've been meaning to ask, but why are you calling it that instead of "The Vision of Escaflowne"?
I couldn't decide between "The Vision of Escaflowne" or "Vision of Escaflowne" so I went with a bad literal translation of the Japanese title. That and poking fun on MAL. Perhaps I should have gone "Heavenly Escaflowne" or something. Sounds cooler maybe.

The Idolmaster: 765 Pro to Iu Monogatari

A bunch of short sketches. Most were funny too. And there's another movie trailer, which is probably references something?

Interesting enough.

Okay, leaving aside your opinion on the directorial/written style of TTGL I don't think there's any doubt at all that the show is self-aware.

I'd respond more directly to your argument about the series but you don't appear to have made any kind of properly formulated critique that I can reply to. You've stated that you dislike the shows style but I don't see the next step e.g. why it's actually a bad show and why.

I wouldn't argue TTGL is a bad show. I just dislike it.

Articalys

Mekaku City Actors ep.6

Hahaha, Aniplex dragged LiSA into this show too.

Anyway, I've given up trying to follow the story here, so I'll from now on just be watching this because it's probably the Shaftiest Shaft show that Shaft has ever made.

Gbraga

Eeeh, Nisekoi is ending? :CCC

Like, forever? No new season in a few months? :CCCCCCCCCCC

At least now I have Kiryuu-sensei too.

Not really a gay end (but still incredibly gay), Flamenco was just trying to understand love so he could defeat his enemy (the boy that he hugs while naked). The cop's GF died in an accident long ago, the texts he got from her was just him texting himself. The stuff is sort of played straight; it all really happened, and Flamenco meets the will of the universe after defeating Alien Flamenco who says that his adventures will be sold as DVDs to people in other dimensions to watch. I think that was it.

Well, I approve the cheeky last part. lol

Irregular at magic high school 7

HAND HOLDING ALERT

HAND HOLDING ALERT

Shiba and his "sister" held hands after a big scene talking about love WOOP WOOP

Also that after credits scene, DTL levels RISING

Besides for that it was an alright episode, Shiba continues to be Gary Stu as fuck, sister continues to be thirsty as fuck, and the series even explains away it's bad plot points with "lol she was mind controlled" lolol why do I keep watching this.

Midonin

Mekaku City Actors 06

This one was easily understood by me. It's an extended flashback showing what happened to Ene before something happened that put her in computer form. Ene's my favorite character in the show, so spending a long time in her backstory and giving me an aloof Asumin is a pleasant way to spend a half hour.

I still have some sliver of hope that she'll have a brief appearance in the CG anime. I have to believe.
She definitely will. One of the PVs shows what's presumably the 10 main girls for each of the Cute / Cool / Passion groups, and she's there along with Kaede. I'm getting Syoko, Koume, Ranko, Mayu and Sachiko so I'm happy. RIP BGBW.

Wait wait wait.

How the heck do characters with absolutely no personality, no voice, and just found in a side game, so popular?
jiCsHal.png

Seriously though, they have basic personalities in-game, and that + character design + the IM@S name is all you really need. The ones who rank highly in the elections get VAs, song/drama CDs, manga, etc.

Captain Earth 7

Get in the fucking mech Teppei

Also why does Earth Engine suck so much, its consistently the worst mech in its own series. Oh well at least we finally got some half way decent mech action and the girls in tight spandex so win.

Also "YOU ARE CAPTAIN EARTH" caused me to legit laugh/choke on my drink

Superflat

Mekakucity Actors episode 5

I feel like people are playing off the plot as being impossible to decipher, but I think it's being over-exaggerated by a lot. Each episode is delivered as a piece of a puzzle for us to piece together. I thought the first three episodes was good at teaching the audience that. There are blanks in the timeline, but I'm definitely not confused; just missing key pieces of information that might be revealed later on.

Love how they skipped the OP and ED in this episode too. I always thought the OP for this show was underwhelming.

Its definitely third in line after iM@S and Love Live. It gets a bit better towards the end but the VA sounds flat and low rent, which kind of annoyed me.

Wake Up Girls appealed to me because of how mostly grounded it was. There are embellishments and quaintness to it all, but I could see it work just as well being a live action J-drama. The voices worked for me because they sounded more like real high school students, which lent itself well to the show's more realistic portrayal.

Blade and soul - 07

i know..
i KNOW i should NOT think when i watch this show ..but still everything is SO OBVIOUS

So in this episode we met back someone that alka met before. At first i was like : " who ? " and then the anime conveniently made a few sec flashback so i could remember who this gal was ...i mean , she really was différent .. it's too bad she became this way because she was in a sect.. A magnificent , human killing sect

There was this scene when leo the merchant was telling the poor girl

" are you doing whatever she wants you to do ?"
And then the poor girl answered " that's right !" with force...
and then the guy just went away..just like that !! It was like the guy was saying " screw it , everyone in this show is dumb "

Blade%20and%20Soul%20-%2007.jpg

you're trully one of the most intelligent character of the entire show , too bad your appearance rate is really low.
And he would not be wrong ..it's very hard to care about the side scenes the anime throw you in the face and i'm forced to admit that i'm hatewatching this show.. it's the first time i do that ...

Just how low will this anime go ?

Every time I watch this episode I always feel awesome during that ending scene with Lagann. Still my all time favourite anime.

You have no damn idea.

Don't worry about that spoiler. I was spoiled on some things for this show and it didn't damper the experience at all for me.

You know what I do when I accidentally spoil myself on something? I delude my mind into thinking that it was a lie. That way I still get a good chunk of the experience! It works for me! Don't let that one spoiler stop you from experiencing this show man! There were tons of other things you could have been spoiled on as well in this show!

EDIT: Seriously though, please don't let that one thing ruin your motivation when you finally got to my favourite anime :(

I'm not. I am just very upset that what seems to be a pretty important plot twist was spoiled.

Articalys

Captain Earth 7

Get in the fucking mech Teppei

Also why does Earth Engine suck so much, its consistently the worst mech in its own series. Oh well at least we finally got some half way decent mech action and the girls in tight spandex so win.

Also "YOU ARE CAPTAIN EARTH" caused me to legit laugh/choke on my drink
It was a fantastic delivery of that line.

I'm not. I am just very upset that what seems to be a pretty important plot twist was spoiled.

You have every right to be.

But as others have stated here, even with certain plot points spoiled, the show is one hell of an experience on its own as long as you don't let your mind focus on that spoiler.

jman2050

Nisekoi 19

Poor Onodera
haha just kidding

Dat slap
and the leadup was done a lot better here as opposed to the manga.

I got spoiled on that and another important event as well, but TTGL still became my favorite anime of all time. It's not as important as everything else that's going on.

Okay.

It's obvious the show isn't that good if a plot point is all it was worth watching for.

That's not the point Narag.

It kills me how readily people are willing to discard a show based on learning some random plot element in advance.

1) It's not some random plot element. It was the outcome of a certain character.

2) I didn't discard the show but I am glad you came to some other conclusion. Despite the journey the destination is also important. I don't drive to Seattle because it's fun to get there. I drive there so I can get to the city.

I don't wonder now what's going to happen to that character because I already know. So I have already subconsciously braced myself for that reveal. When it happens it won't be as meaningful as it could be. That's what I am upset about.

But go ahead and keep judging people based on your own preconceived notions.

Psyhco, spoilers suck but this show is SO MUCH more the journey over the ending. The ending as a whole isn't even that satisfying, but the series as a whole is.

It's not like somebody spoiled you on a show where the ending was brilliant, like Code Geass.

It was a fantastic delivery of that line.

Oh for sure, it was still incredibly hokey though lol

Yu Gi Oh Arc V 4

I have to admit outside of his pendulum monsters our MC's monsters suck, there designs are a bit too goofy and showy for my taste... but that's our MC's style :| At least the duels are as fun as always and the world seems to be accepting of it's goofy nature. It's also the first time I can buy people getting excited over these duels.

Psyhco, spoilers suck but this show is SO MUCH more the journey over the ending. The ending as a whole isn't even that satisfying, but the series as a whole is.

It's not like somebody spoiled you on a show where the ending was brilliant, like Code Geass.

Actually the ending to Code Geass was spoiled to me too. (That one was more deliberate. Some guy didn't like me and saw I was watching Code Geass and spoiled the ending. I plan to go back and watch it one day.)

And I never said I was stopping TTGL. Just that I was possibly not going to watch it for the next few days because it took my motivation out of it. But I feel bad that this disappoints NMan so I will (maybe) start it up again later today. He waited a long time so it's not fair for me to just stop because of one BIG spoiler.

I am not stopping and discarding the show. I just want to make that abundantly clear.

Superflat

Blade and soul - 07

i know..
i KNOW i should NOT think when i watch this show ..but still everything is SO OBVIOUS

So in this episode we met back someone that alka met before at first i was like : " who ? " and then the anime conveniently made a few sec flashback so i could remember who this gal was ...i mean , she really was différent .. it's too bad she became this way because she was in a sect.. A magnificent , human killing sect

There was this scene when leo the merchant was telling the poor girl

" are you doing whatever she wants you to do ?"
And then the poor girl answered " that's right !" with force...
and then the guy just went away..just like that !! It was like the guy was saying " screw it , everyone in this show is dumb "

And he would not be wrong ..it's very hard to care about the side scenes the anime throw you in the face and i'm forced to admit that i'm hatewatching this show.. it's the first time i do that ...

Just how low will this anime go ?

Jesus. I watched an episode of Blade and Soul once. This is what I got:

yRT3pg7.jpg

Terrible art and a protagonist that doesn't do shit -- and I mean absolutely nothing.

cajunator

Banned
Chaika is getting a bonus original episode as an OAD release with the 12th volume of the novel on March 15 2015. It's a blu-ray too, not DVD. That should be the final volume of the novel too, so... the anime should end two months before the novels. Lol.

now at least I can wait for blurays instead of settling for dvd.

I want to buy this for the uncut dub. Given Viz's handling of the Ranma 1/2 Blu-ray, I think the PQ will be fine.

The dub wasnt great but it was the heavy editing that originally ruined it. Im all for a serious redubbing.

Jesus. I watched an episode of Blade and Soul once. This is what I got:

yRT3pg7.jpg

Terrible art and a protagonist that doesn't do shit -- and I mean absolutely nothing.

I'm honnestly surprised by how bad blade and soul is ..

I certainly wasn't expecting it to be great , but i wasn't expecting such a TRAINWRECK in term of character, story and animation You posted the 2D , but what about the 3D ?it's certainly not better. the plot is ... is .... DAmn it

Midonin

Mahouka 07

The first arc was overall a little dull. Now that the show's out of the exposition phase, maybe things will pick up. The fighting was alright, and yeah, some guy got his arm cut off, but it's still the show on Saturday that I'm overall the least interested in.

cnet128

Banned
Seikoku no Dragonar 7

Naughty tentacles, a loli shower scene, and bedwetting...and that's just before the opening credits rolled. This show's shamelessness never ceases to amaze me. (It wasn't even the only loli shower scene in the episode!)

At any rate, this episode introduced a new wonderful loli character who sleeps in a coffin because I don't even know. She also instigates loli yuri lewdness with Eco, so I approve of her greatly. Whoever knew horns were an erogenous zone? I'm now trying to decide whether that's more or less kinky than the sensitive wings from this week's NGNL.

Captain Earth: He's a Zero Gonna Get his Ass kicked Down to Zero 7

In this episode of Captain Planet, Daichi once again does JACK FUCKING SHIT to be useful and I'm starting to wonder what the point of making him the protagonist is if he always has to be rescued.

We also have a very WE KNOW HISTORY section where everybody starts discussing the Bay of Pigs and finishing off each other's sentences. That's how conversations work irl anime. We all have a script to follow.

And these protagonists. I didn't know it was possible for leads to dickride themselves more than the guy from Death Note. But holy shit. That whole conversation

"Man we're really special aren't we? Look at all the shit happening to us"

"I know right! Jesus we're so coooooooooooooooool"

Fuck. You. Also shut the fuck up squirrel I'll cook you in an elaborate manner ala Hannibal Lecter.

And I still can't stand how childish the protagonists are. At least with other anime they had relatively mature people to act as teenagers. Freaking brown girl is all "TEE HEE HEE LET'S EAT MELONS KAWAII DESU" and the fucking hacker girl is all "HERP DERP LOGICAL LOGICAL CATCHPHRASE".

Somebody said it yesterday I believe, but now I agree. This show makes me miss Stardriver. Such UGH. I'll take IT'S TOUGH LOVING TWO BOYS AT THE SAME TIME drama over this. At least in the end
they finally formed the team officially and gave Daichi the Captain Earth title
but these kids have no training whatsoever in anything that makes sense and you're seriously trying to tell me they'll be our saviors? No fuck you anime. At least in other anime where a teenager saves the world you magically make them expert marksmen or have them somehow be like amazing in CQC. Not in this. And it really bothers me. How much fantasizing do you want kids to have?

Also stop pandering with the low angle shots on the girl's ass. She wears short shorts I get it. Jesus.

Jarmel

Banned
Captain Earth: He's a Zero Gonna Get his Ass kicked Down to Zero 7
At least in the end
they finally formed the team officially and gave Daichi the Captain Earth title
but these kids have no training whatsoever in anything that makes sense and you're seriously trying to tell me they'll be our saviors? No fuck you anime. At least in other anime where a teenager saves the world you magically make them expert marksmen or have them somehow be like amazing in CQC. Not in this. And it really bothers me. How much fantasizing do you want kids to have?

There was a scene last episode that established that Daichi is training and Teppei is already an expert. So that complaint isn't valid.

Guys any Patlabor fans here? I got and enjoyed the two movies, but also see that they re-released the TV series and OVA's. Are those recommended for new fans?

There was a scene last episode that established that Daichi is training and Teppei is already an expert. So that complaint isn't valid.

Daichi was training in learning how to drive the thing. And it did nothing in the end. He
still could barely handle one dude by himself. Being ganged up on is fine, but if you get your ass kicked that quick why should I care? He didn't even give them something of a fight before he was rescued. And he only beat the guy because freaking PLOT DEVICE came up behind him so he could use THE POWER OF SCIENCE to beat him. It wasn't his skills that beat the guy. It was copying Space Dandy that let him win

edit: I'm not asking for the protagonist to be overpowered. I'd like for him to put up a fight. Daichi hasn't. At least in shonen anime they give the weakling protagonist weak enemies so you can still think he's doing a difference. And I highly doubt this is some deconstruction of anime done by the writing staff. They can barely write a coherent plot.

Jarmel

Banned
Daichi was training in learning how to drive the thing. And it did nothing in the end. He
still could barely handle one dude by himself. Being ganged up on is fine, but if you get your ass kicked that quick why should I care? He didn't even give them something of a fight before he was rescued. And he only beat the guy because freaking PLOT DEVICE came up behind him so he could use THE POWER OF SCIENCE to beat him. It wasn't his skills that beat the guy. It was copying Space Dandy that let him win

I haven't seen the episode yet but that's what happens when you put a noob in an expensive military machine with little training. I vastly prefer development like this than crap like in SAO or Mahouka where the main character is already an expert. It's development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom