• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superflat

Welp. Here it is guys. All your fantasies... =/

Even if the second half of SAO was fanfic level shit, it still didn't destroy what I thought of its first half, which was some real good fun. Looking forward to SAO 2. Female Kirito looks hot. That butt crack on the other girl is duuuuumb.

Expanding this question from what I was going to initially ask (just about Baby Steps/Ping Pong/Haikyuu):

Have you ever taken up an increased interest in a sport -- either as a spectator or player, even if only temporarily -- after seeing it in a TV series/movie?

Whatever they were playing in Chihayafuru. Made me want to play that game too!

Nisekoi 19

nuwATlOl.jpg

Another fine example of why Chitoge is the absolute worst character.

Agreed.
-----------------------------

We are all going to watch SAOII out of obligation and curiosity. You know it and I know it.

OceanBlue

Nopes. I mean Im gonna watch it.

also its my birthday happysqueefuntime
Happy birthday cajun!

Finished the first season of Love Live and watched the first two episodes of the second season. It's more recommendable than Idolm@ster, although I feel like I like the iM@S cast more. Love Live just feels more approachable because of the clear goals and the continuous narrative. I especially like how they manage to fit most or all of the girls in each scene by spending a long time on a few scenes. I don't feel as if the iM@S cast felt as cohesive outside of a few episodes like beach episode and the Namassuka episode (which, even then, they were kinda separated). I'd imagine that summaries for each Love Live episode wouldn't be very long because the story of each episode tended to be simple, but I prefer having simple stories if it means spending more time on character interactions. The drama for the most part was okay until the end, which felt really contrived. The 3D is still really eww though. I thought I'd get used to it, but I still struggle to watch the performances lol.

I don't generally like tsunderes that much but Maki's really cute~. I thought I would never come around to liking Eri, but I like her a lot more now. It's weird how I don't like Honoka as much considering how much I like Haruka from iM@S though. My favorites are probably Kotori, Maki, and Umi.

Eww, I can't believe half of my post is comparing Love Live to iM@S. It definitely should stand on it's own; I just can't help it since iM@S was my first anime idol show lol. Overall, I think the best part of the show is how everyone is together in most scenes. It's definitely a fun show because of how much time it allows for the characters to act goofy with each other.

Link Man

Banned
Happy Birthday Cajun! *bounces and squees*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Milky Holmes 5

Yeah, this is terrible and I feel terrible for having come this far. Dropping this now.

Superflat

Aside from a Gun MMO being awesome, I do wonder if SAO2 will actually go into gameplay elements instead of pulling out the Beater shtick again with numbers -cringe-

It'd be nice but I wouldn't count on it, besides very surface level stuff like we saw in S1. I doubt it's going to go into its mechanics in a meaningful way, seeing how they didn't do it in either of the two games that were in S1. I didn't mind it though; it just had a different focus.

Log Horizon is the "Life in a MMO" anime that explains its game and its mechanics more in depth.

Your hair is stupid!

...buttcracks are stupid! #FULLCIRCLE

It'd be nice but I wouldn't count on it, besides very surface level stuff like we saw in S1. I doubt it's going to go into its mechanics in a meaningful way, seeing how they didn't do it in either of the two games that were in S1. I didn't mind it though; it just had a different focus.

Log Horizon is the "Life in a MMO" anime that explains its game and its mechanics more in depth.

...buttcracks are stupid! #FULLCIRCLE

Eh that's a shame, and yes I really enjoyed Log Horizon. Why make an anime-based MMO if you're not going to go in-depth? Might as well be a typical fantasy setting then.

Rider is a Baka! But at least it will lead to a cool showdown in this episode.

Opening is still awesome.

And the little girl with white hair is still absolutely adorable.

Jarmel

Banned
Mekakucity Actors-6

Ene and not-Ararararagi continue to dominate this show. Insert song at the beginning was fucking amazing.

That cold intro was so damn good.

survivor

Banned
Expanding this question from what I was going to initially ask (just about Baby Steps/Ping Pong/Haikyuu):

Have you ever taken up an increased interest in a sport -- either as a spectator or player, even if only temporarily -- after seeing it in a TV series/movie?

I started watching baseball after Ace of the Diamond pissed me off with its bad shounen bullshit way of representing the game.

Fate/Zero 5
fate-zero-episode5-1.jpg

This episode was awesome. Literally almost every servant
showed up for the showdown
. Was not crazy about CG Berserker but he was still cool. Just wish he wasn't CG. Things are starting to ramp up. Rider was dumb in the beginning but he's starting to grow on me.

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Zero 5
fate-zero-episode5-1.jpg

This episode was awesome. Literally almost every servant
showed up for the showdown
. Was not crazy about CG Berserker but he was still cool. Just wish he wasn't CG. Things are starting to ramp up. Rider was dumb in the beginning but he's starting to grow on me.

Are you watching the extended episode version?

Toad.T

Banned
Happy birthday to you!

Samurai Pizza Cats... Subbed? (Kyatto Ninden Teyande Episode 1:)

When Anime fans think of the term "Gag Dub", it usually brings to mind a series that the localization writers thought needed a punch-up in terms of writing. Depending on who you ask though, the fanbase for whatever series received this treatment may be a bit bitter that their world wasn't treated seriously enough. For some cases, I agree. ShinChan was seen as a classic, kid-oriented nostalgic series in it's country of origin, so I can see why folks may think that they were butchering a series like this by constantly bringing up domestic abuse and child murdering/molestation in the dub. Keroro had an established fanbase already, so their (few) cries were mostly of swapping one style of humor for another. Even things like Ghost Stories probably had some fans of it's original release.

But the series that's the king of this style? Absolutely nothing was lost from it's original version.

The humor in the original (If you could call it that) was mostly based on the conflicts between characters (Which the dub did as well. It wasn't all just 4th wall breaking jokes about fascism.), sprinkled with the standard "Fall down when someone says something wacky" trope. (Surely this has a name?) as well as through general over-the-top reactions. The only real joke I chuckled at was:

The show said:
Bad Bird: Come on out, you government dog!
Speedy: Actually... I'm a cat.

Honestly, even if nostalgia clouds my view of the dubbed version, this is one of the few series that is actually improved by the English dub. The visuals are nice, what with the designs of the "Animaroids" (The characters of the city), but the writing is just... ok. It sort of takes itself a bit too seriously, which is kinda strange, given the fact that the main heroes are robot cat ninjas that run a pizzeria. It's truly something that could only be liked by the young. Where as most anime loving folks will tell you that the English dub holds up even to this day and to adult minds. Ignore the original DVD set and just pick up the dub.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Black Bullet Episode 3
This is the best episode so far, a couple holy shit moments. I guess medical research has advanced so much that people can spend a day in the hospital after fatal injury and still be almost fine

Dresden

Happy birthday cajun.

---

Finished Rewrite, that Key visual novel. The skip key was very useful; for one route I just set it to skip unread text and let it play out in the background until the ending played. Ultimate scrubbing?

the good - involvement of two non-Key writers (ryukishi07 and Romeo Tanaka, Umineko/Humanity Has Declined) means that it's not completely Key

the bad - it's still Key

the better - Romeo Tanaka's routes range from acceptable to good

the worse - ryukishi's route is kinda junk once it stops being a horror mystery and becomes an incredibly chuuni, sappy romance

the worst - there's two routes by some scrub Key writer and they're really bad; admittedly I skipped the second one after playing the first because the thought of trudging through it made me want to punch something and I don't think I missed out on anything by reading a summary of it online after the fact. Wouldn't have bothered even skipping through it if the 'true end' stuff didn't require going through it.

accurate visual representation of said Key guy's route:

jCEZdQF.jpg

and it's Key so the art is fucking terrible as usual

I'll probably post something a bit more fleshed out in the appropriate thread but I missed keybashing in the anime thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom