• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

It's about that time again.

- Offer one non-backhanded compliment for a show from this season that you otherwise dislike

- Offer one fair criticism for a show from this season that you otherwise like

I'll think up my own answers and post them in a bit.

Narag

- Offer one compliment for a show from this season that you otherwise dislike

Mahouka's fun when it's not dick riding or dealing with class issues.

Unfinished parts of Ping Pong are mildly disappointing.

cajunator

Banned

- Offer one non-backhanded compliment for a show from this season that you otherwise dislike

I didnt watch ping pong but Im sure its funny.

no game no life has a terrible color pallette.

Articalys

For myself, even though I dropped the show early on, Nike from The World is Still Beautiful was a pretty fun character with a lot of energy. It's still a series I might consider marathoning at some point in the future.

I'll also agree that all the technospeak in the first few episodes of Captain Earth was kind of stupid even if I didn't mind it too much.

cajunator

Banned
For myself, even though I dropped the show early on, Nike from The World is Still Beautiful was a pretty fun character with a lot of energy. It's still a series I might consider marathoning at some point in the future.

I'll also agree that all the technospeak in the first few episodes of Captain Earth was kind of stupid even if I didn't mind it too much.

Ah shit I literally forgot about this show. I liked it at first too.

The world is still beautiful is honestly fairly standard Shojo. The biggest plus it has is that the relationship moves really fast considering. Nike keeps her energy throughout the show though.

Tenumi

Banned

Sounds fun to me.

I definitely have to give credit to Captain Earth for some really nice designs for both characters and mechs.

I have to agree with cajunator that No Game No Life has an absolutely awful color pallate. Kudos for trying, but it really detracts more than it helps most of the time.

cajunator

Banned
Sounds fun to me.

I definitely have to give credit to Captain Earth for some really nice designs for both characters and mechs.

I have to agree with cajunator that No Game No Life has an absolutely awful color pallate. Kudos for trying, but it really detracts more than it helps most of the time.

It looks like the color pallette from an early NES game. Its such a weird choice.

Midonin

Much like OreShura's color palette that looked like it had a white filter over it, NGNL's is taken from the same kinds of colors used on the light novel covers. It does take some getting used to, but this is anime, a medium where the art and the story are intertwined. The color palette is odd, but as cajun said above, it may be just what the story needs.

Mekaku City Actors has some decent music and a good ED

Ping Pong has production issues

Superflat

Nike is easily one of the best protagonists of the season. Instantly like-able. Been loving the show so far.

-Captain Earth has great production value.

-M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane has terrible production value.

It looks like the color pallette from an early NES game. Its such a weird choice.

I love the way No Game No Life looks :D

cajunator

Banned
Making unappealing brats who need to get a swirly every day of their lives is brilliant?

no no I meant the color pallette for NGNL.
it looks gamelike and I think thats the point.

Nike is easily one of the best protagonists of the season. Instantly like-able. Been loving the show so far.

-Captain Earth has great production value.

-M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane has terrible production value.

I love Nike. Shes amazing. But that King I want to punch him in the face.

Zeppeli

Banned
nYLQ9Ws.jpg

That poor car.

Michael-scott-no-god-no1.gif

I was asking for a pirates anime. And this is what I'm given? I don't think you could animetize an idea as much as that image.

I'm in mobile so fuck posting gifs but
notlikethis.gif
But bodacious is just a different kind of pirate anime.
The universe it's on is full of good technoblade , great characters and it has quite a bit of adventuring .it's no less an "out of place artifact in anime " than One piece.
Anyway , once you get past the prologue ( episode 5 ) it's non stop entertaining.

no game no life 7

yeah this really is the show of the season somehow. great execution, fun references, love the sound effects,

and steph <3

was surprised the other gal is back. is she a reoccuring character?

Answer to the question :
Yes

Superflat

But bodacious is just a different kind of pirate anime.
The universe it's on is full of good technoblade , great characters and it has quite a bit of adventuring .it's no less an "out of place artifact in anime " than One piece.
Anyway , once you get past the prologue ( episode 5 ) it's non stop entertaining.

Bodacious Space Pirates is fucking legit as fuck. Cute characters in a hard sci-fi show, with an amazing Op and Ed. Goddamn.

-Horizon-

Up to episode 12 of Jojo season 1 (2012). Really liking Joseph's arc more so far.
The grenade trick from the last episode or so was still the best thing ever.

Gundam SEED - 8

Oh man at this Flay girl -_-. This is Code Geass Nina all over again isn't it? Well at least she's not worshipping Princess Euphemia here, so I guess she's not as bad, but still.

But anyway, we finally see some salvation being brought to the wandering ship in this episode. So now it seems we're finally settling into a status quo of some kind with this show.

I swear if there's no Mofukichi in this week's NGNL that show doesn't deserve to be.
I figure I would just put this out there. If you guys recall, Mockingbird put together a group commission for Kiki/Paprika a while ago:
realwebverpaprika_title_zpsf3ee6caa.jpg

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing something similar for Aria, but I'm just wondering if there are enough people here to make it happen. Are there any Aria fans here interested in doing a poster with me? I'd let Mockingbird handle the logistics, but presumably we need quite a few people to make it it worth doing.

I'm mostly lurking the thread right now, but reply and PM me if you are interested so I can get an idea if there's any actual interest in this!
Definitely interested, it just needs Akira and Aika because best.
A show uniquely suited to being made into tumblr gifs. Madhouse charting a new course into the social media future.
GoHands has been doing that for years though!
beans as far as the eye can see
Kayos is a bad influence.

Captain Earth panders to me from a fanservice perspective, peropero.

Stardust Crusaders so far has been my least favorite of the adapted Jojo parts since it doesn't have nearly as much Dio as Part 1 or as awesome a lead as Joseph.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu 8

Hey it's Tessa. Did they change her seiyuu from the original though? And since when did she not get along with Chidori?

Poor Sousuke. He never asked for this.

I swear if there's no Mofukichi in this week's NGNL that show doesn't deserve to be.

Definitely interested, it just needs Akira and Aika because best.

GoHands has been doing that for years though!

Kayos is a bad influence.

Captain Earth panders to me from a fanservice perspective, peropero.

Stardust Crusaders so far has been my least favorite of the adapted Jojo parts since it doesn't have nearly as much Dio as Part 1 or as awesome a lead as Joseph.

Well it'll get better than part 1 at least.

I'm waiting for Diamond is Unbreakable to be animated tho

No Game No Life 07

ZETSUBO!!! Another info dump episode.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 26

That Reina-chan transformation! And I gotta say all this to get Kota and Aoto to become better friends was highly amusing.

Puchimas!! 44

Cutest Happy Birthday wishing.

Yu-gi-oh! ZeXal II 120

God, whenever this show goes into the stupid past lives crap it's always soooooo stupid. No one caresssssssssss

Hitsugi no Chaika 07

Valley of NTR

Blusby

Jesus those are some really bland character designs. Like if somebody thought "Hey we should take Anime Character Design 101 in the university" and they did, and they passed it with a C they'd design those ladies. And then they realized that for their final project they had to design a male too so they said "SHITSNACKS" and just grabbed one of their background characters and gave him a weapon.

The source material's designs are pretty damn generic as well, it just doing its job as a faithful adaption!

Mature

Here&#8217;s something I&#8217;ve been thinking about lately, but haven&#8217;t thought to put it to words: Why is it that we see less weathering and &#8220;detailing&#8221; in typical drawings than we did in a older, pre-digital age of anime? Take this basic shot of a net gun in Cowboy Bebop.

The accentuating lines aren&#8217;t some labored addition, and the shots of the gun later scale the detailing down or erase them for ease in animation&#8212; as one would expect.

I&#8217;m not really referring to the kind of detailing you&#8217;d only see in a lavish big budget production, but rather the simple kind that gives the normal subject of a drawing some character. I understand that the more detail something has, the rougher it is to animate, but as with the example above it just seems like an extra bit of spice. I liked that taste! I think it&#8217;s easy to say that productions don&#8217;t get the time and budget that they used to and, as a result, don&#8217;t have the luxury of small details, but it almost seems more like a fundamental shift in design. Or maybe a technique that never graduated to a new generation? I&#8217;m curious, because this is something that&#8217;s synonymous with an older look and something I&#8217;m quite fond of. Perhaps this is just a symptom of the larger, industry-wide design shift towards cleaner looking anime? It's almost like the detailing is less gone, and more replaced with (subjectively) less attractive digital filtering alternatives, as opposed to a more hand drawn look.

I know I&#8217;m by no means the first to bring this up or anything. Any production level junkies have something to say about this to a pleb?

It&#8217;s worth noting that it&#8217;s not entirely absent in modern titles. And when it does show up, it&#8217;s striking and memorable:
David Production generally seems to put their character art over animation and it results in some nice detailing; I really love the look of Stardust Crusaders. And the bit of scuffed mechanical equipment that Meow's father used in Space Dandy stood out in the otherwise clean looking aesthetic of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom