• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puchim@s 19-24

Pfu9icp.jpg

wPikoHQ.jpg

Hey look, it's ZachDeKoromaru
or is it Theonik?

Jex

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about lately, but haven’t thought to put it to words: Why is it that we see less weathering and “detailing” in typical drawings than we did in a older, pre-digital age of anime? Take this basic shot of a net gun in Cowboy Bebop.

The accentuating lines aren’t some labored addition, and the shots of the gun later scale the detailing down or erase them for ease in animation— as one would expect.

I’m not really referring to the kind of detailing you’d only see in a lavish big budget production, but rather the simple kind that gives the normal subject of a drawing some character. I understand that the more detail something has, the rougher it is to animate, but as with the example above it just seems like an extra bit of spice. I liked that taste! I think it’s easy to say that productions don’t get the time and budget that they used to and, as a result, don’t have the luxury of small details, but it almost seems more like a fundamental shift in design. Or maybe a technique that never graduated to a new generation? I’m curious, because this is something that’s synonymous with an older look and something I’m quite fond of[...]
I don't think it's easy to make a sweeping judgement about how detailed background and object art is today compared with older anime. And it really is a question of detail - to make objects appear 'used' and 'real' takes that extra bit of work because you have to flesh out their texture.

Yes, on any number of older shows I can see that quite a lot of attention is being paid in that area. However it's worth considering what kind of older shows are you watching? Are you going back to watch everything that aired in a specific season in 1992? No, you're going back to watch recommended titles that are so recommended because they're well made which means they're generally going to look pretty nice. In other words, you're comparing a thin selection of very well made shows (e.g. Cowboy Bebop) to the dozens of rather sub-par shows that air every season. Of course they won't look as good.

I'd need a lot more data before I could even be sure that your opening assumption is correct.

Thanks Crunchyroll. When I go to your website the first thing I need is an image of a figurine of a girl in a rabbit suit on all fours shoving her ass unto the screen. Fucking anime.

I went there and it didn't deliver.

I had to reload like 10 times so it would stop showing me 'really perverted angle' chun li and go back to really perverted bunny girl. It's like a russian roulette algorithm.

A perverted russian roulette. I don't need to be reminded that my medium of choice has people who buy these. Next they'll start offering body pillows on sale.

vQ7bvyO.jpg

Superflat

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desuka? Episode 7

dILsUP1.png

Unprecedented levels of cute.
Great visual gags, laughed out loud several times.
I love this show so much.
Too many best girls.

I'm gonna make an anime show full of girls who are in perpetual disgruntled state and always doing pouty inflated cheek face. Make millions in the market.

Oh god. I've become KyoAni.

Midonin

Nanana's Buried Treasure 07

The main thing I got from this episode is that Jugo is angry. The one who took the treasure and replaced it with the cat plushie last time... was him. He's good at what he does, but also not socially adept. Not a lot of Tensai - the show always needs more Tensai - but she stole the show in those final moments when she's a fan of Star Driver. I feel like the grounding for what's been going on has been getting somewhat shaky, but I can still follow the plot well enough. It's still a fun show.

Mature

I don't think it's easy to make a sweeping judgement about how detailed background and object art is today compared with older anime. And it really is a question of detail - to make objects appear 'used' and 'real' takes that extra bit of work because you have to flesh out their texture.

Yes, on any number of older shows I can see that quite a lot of attention is being paid in that area. However it's worth considering what kind of older shows are you watching? Are you going back to watch everything that aired in a specific season in 1992? No, you're going back to watch recommended titles that are so recommended because they're well made which means they're generally going to look pretty nice. In other words, you're comparing a thin selection of very well made shows (e.g. Cowboy Bebop) to the dozens of rather sub-par shows that air every season. Of course they won't look as good.

I'd need a lot more data before I could even be sure that your opening assumption is correct.
But I don't mean to compare the best shows of, say, the 90's to the dozens of average shows in recent years. If I could take a sample of the best, highest quality productions from the 90's and the same from modern shows, I don't think that that type of detailing exists in the same way it used to— or at least not as consistently. Is that on account of a different 'style' of detailing that's not as verbose and apparent as the weathering on objects you can see in something like Cowboy Bebop? Or has that aspect of giving drawings more texture been abandoned in lieu of something else? That's what I'm curious about.

In order to not just spin my wheels and ask questions without answers, I think I'll start by examining what specifically I'm talking about in older detailing by finding more examples in varied works (Saying "Why isn't something like Cowboy Bebop" isn't a very great example, I know). Then hopefully I can follow that trail towards more modern works and spot a trending in a different direction.

Link Man

Banned
Nanana 7

iCnEUaUdKzYix.jpg

So yeah, this episode was all about Juugo trying to get Senpai to notice him. And bondage.

Actually, it's pretty refreshing that Juugo is so open with his feelings. None of this bottling everything up inside, blushing whenever he tries to say hi to her, anything like that. Nope, just going straight into a martial arts match to tell her he loves her.

Nanana was really cute this episode, as well.

Gundam SEED - 9

OH DAMN.

Man, karma's a bitch, isn't it Flay? How ironic is the instant she tells the crew to announce that they've taken Lacus hostage to protect her dad is the instant that her dad dies in battle? Like, that debate didn't even last a minute before it was all for naught!

And here I thought that things we're finally going to settle down for this show, yet somehow shit got even more real!

survivor

Banned
Ping Pong 7
Some pretty decent background shots in the entire episode. Also regarding the music, there are some really distinct and great tracks. Now just gotta hope the animation holds up for the tournament.

Jex

But I don't mean to compare the best shows of, say, the 90's to the dozens of average shows in recent years. If I could take a sample of the best, highest quality productions from the 90's and the same from modern shows, I don't think that that type of detailing exists in the same way it used to— or at least not as consistently. Is that on account of a different 'style' of detailing that's not as verbose and apparent as the weathering on objects you can see in something like Cowboy Bebop? Or has that aspect of giving drawings more texture been abandoned in lieu of something else? That's what I'm curious about.

In order to not just spin my wheels and ask questions without answers, I think I'll start by examining what specifically I'm talking about in older detailing by finding more examples in varied works (Saying "Why isn't something like Cowboy Bebop" isn't a very great example, I know). Then hopefully I can follow that trail towards more modern works and spot a trending in a different direction.
I mean you could well be right, and it's certainly noticeable in places, but I don't know if there's really been a large shift in general. It seems that pretty good looking shows e.g. Kids on the Slope, Yamato Space Dandy, Mushishi, K-On, Hyoukam Captain Earth etc still look pretty good.

I think the "hyper detailed" shot is something like an artist putting their stamp on the work. You see those shots all the time in K-On, for example. It's probably just a question of individual studio culture, the motivation of a given artists and the production schedule that they happen to be working in.

Nananananananananana 07

So basically Jugo just wants to screw his childhood crush. Preferably in bondage form.

I still don't get who's side anyone is on and why that even matters but whatever

Midonin

This Week in Puchimas

I'm still at Glasses Week, but the show remains as adorable as ever.

Inugami & Nekoyama 07

Should've known a dog/monkey joke was coming sooner or later. Inugami's also as in heat as ever. Those two would go at it angrily.

Tenumi

Banned
Love Live Season 2: 07

We seriously doing this? As if body image issues aren't already nothing to mess around with, your going to goof around with that this episode?

...At least that lasted only half an episode before we got to the drama bit, which was alright.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san Episode 7:

Ah, so a new contender has entered into the game, this time based off of a monkey, neat.

phaze

I agree with the criticism, it's one of the weak points of the otherwise excellent Arc. It also never made a lot of sense to me Gon's reaction, I always half argued that Gon is very empathic and a little bit crazy and that explains it.

He met him when he was a little kid and told him about his father yeah, but he was with him for one day, that isn't enough to produce a strong emotional link, I think.
edit: I counted them, he appears in a flashback with a duration of 8 pages in the first chapter.

Only one day ? So pretty much exactly like the flashback scene we got in anime. Yeah not buying it.

Apparently in the manga their relationship is supposed to be much more meaningful with Kite being a father figure for Gon in his early childhood before he left the island, and not just a guy he met one time when he was a kid.

I don't know who to believe. :p

Naruto Shippuden 363
I forgot the sheer amount of Bijuudama's flying around in this fight. Vegeta would be proud. That and some cheesy Obito-Naruto dialogue aside, it was a pretty good episode. The Allied Shinobi Force must be quite a challenge to animate but I thought they did a really good job this episode.

Nisekoi 19

Damn at all those Chitoge victory flags this episode. Poor Kosaki got shafted as usual.

:lol at Claude showing his face after x months. I thought he was supposed to be a constant guardian.

Won't somebody fix the goddamn locket already.

Midonin

selector infected WIXOSS 08

It's not entirely clear what the conditions for victory are, other than winning a certain number of matches and having the conviction to go through with it. Crowning an Eternal Girl eight episodes into a show that's going to be split cour feels a little odd - but as demonstrated by Akira and Hitoe, winning and losing aren't as important as the fallout from them is.
It's incest in body, but not in mind. While the not-blood-related aspect from ImoCho isn't present to negate things, the ghostly-possession aspect is. Does Hanayo in Yuzuki's body count? And why was the condition that Yuzuki be transferred into a card herself? Is she "Eternal" because she's living in the cardspace? Can Hitoe reenter the game as long as she has more cards? What are the Lrigs anyway?

I have so many questions, but I also have the confidence that at least some of them will be answered. Things just got interesting. And I think, from my perspective, genuinely interesting. The monkey's paw has been fiddled with, and now it's playing the fiddle for them. ...I think that metaphor makes sense.

cnet128

Banned
You only say that because she has a bust.

Nah, I say it because a) monkeys generally aren't cute, and b) Sarutobi-san also isn't cute.

Large "assets" can detract from a character's cuteness on occasion, but they can't generally eliminate it entirely. I mean, Inugami-san herself isn't exactly lacking in that area, and she's still cute.

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 7

That was a pretty nice little emotional confrontation there. Juugo's go-getter attitude is always satisfying to watch, and it was quite touching watching the two of them work out their differences in such a no-holds-barred manner.

Though the best part of the episode was still Juugo's conversation with Nanana before he left. Come to think of it, Nanana is an excellent example of how unfortunately-large assets can't invalidate innate cuteness. She's such a sweetheart.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ping Pong The Animation Episode 7:

Now this is more like it, this is an episode that is firing on all cylinders and is showing me why it is maybe the best show of this season.

cajunator

Banned
8259309xxkd2.jpg

DAL II ep7 preview screens are up. Time for Kurumi.

*dies

Bunny Cafe 7

i2sV05HhvMGIw.jpg

A fun little episode. The
Rabbit Horse
was pretty great, and I got a nice reaction image from the cooking segment. Also, :corvo

iwi61BzfiAupI.jpg

Shows like this are what I live for. Keep delivering, Japan.

Thanks Crunchyroll. When I go to your website the first thing I need is an image of a figurine of a girl in a rabbit suit on all fours shoving her ass unto the screen. Fucking anime.

They should just display http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/...Poodle-Ver-Infinite-Stratos-14th-Scale-Figure ALL THE TIME

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desuka? Episode 7

dILsUP1.png

Unprecedented levels of cute.
Great visual gags, laughed out loud several times.
I love this show so much.
Too many best girls.

Those are some big words. Eligible for scrutiny by myself. However This show is WAY up there with Kinmoza and the like so its possible.
Also I really want to pet an Angora rabbit but I had rabbits as a pet when I was younger and they are MEAN animals.

Fucking Date a Live ad I keep saying has that awful "Kiss The Girls, Save The World" tagline. Goddammit.

Man, just reminded me that Rightstuf delayed my shipment of DAL by a week :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom