• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about that Metroid by Tartakovsky, man. No dialogue necessary, just 20 minutes of thick outlined Samus in jagged armor dodge rolling the fuck out of all kinds of horrible demons underground. The Ridley episode could even have her flashback to him killing her parents, but all wordlessly before she adopts dat Tartakovsky frown face and proceeds to blow his fucking head off.

This is the cartoon gaming needs.

No, he has to make Hotel Transylvania 2 instead of that and finishing Samurai Jack and Sym-Bionic Titan.
Priorities.

JoeFu

Banned
Has anyone here gone to Anime Expo in LA before? I'm thinking about going since I'll be in the area during that time. Is it worth it?

Think about that Metroid by Tartakovsky, man. No dialogue necessary, just 20 minutes of thick outlined Samus in jagged armor dodge rolling the fuck out of all kinds of horrible demons underground. The Ridley episode could even have her flashback to him killing her parents, but all wordlessly before she adopts dat Tartakovsky frown face and proceeds to blow his fucking head off.

I did think about it and how it could never happen because we need more bad things in our lives instead of this

Narag

Have Otaking do it. We can enjoy it in 2019.

cajunator

Banned
If everyone just watched Strike Witches it'd be a much better place!

I fully endorse this message

Oh wow, haven't been to Anime-GAF in awhile. How are you all doing?

Squee as always!

Because they're above that stuff

Hell nah. I aint above some good old fashioned haremshit.

I don't think it is something particular to that series, more like it is a posture very prevalent because of the repercussion the series has versus the need to accommodate its guidelines to the own vision and values many followers feel the need of trying to search in, hoping on encountering something of their own ways of thinking in it to appreciate the work fully.

The thing is, with a staff like that you never know best; the madness of these creators' self-referential, crazy, cleverly devised and sometimes unaware preference and homage for certain things in the search of what is 'cool' can cloud the judgement of any outsider. This kind of projects are long-spanning works of love and coexistence between a homogeneous group of people, something like taking from their series any "true meaning, intention or significance" for certain things spawned in that chaotic creating process, unless clearly stated by them, is I think being devious with oneself.

All in all, I think BGBW describes the situation aptly:

And talking of references, a shame when I saw a stop to the continuing efforts of 'tripfriend' from /a/ KLKCataloger in the task of archiving part of all that 'SPECULAH', did a damn nice job for a time:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/225692543/References.html

KILL la KILL Starter Book (http://www.st-trigger.co.jp/news/20130803.html) was a good initial taste of what was to come in terms of "manservice"!

I should make some decent scans of it, someday...

Come on, guys, we need more blind faith in Mr. Yamaga! >:)

I still remember the specula from Madoka Magica. It was incredible how EVERYTHING was analyzed. There was so much symbolism and random references thrown in there in every scene. Some of it was just Shaft doing what it does but all the Faustian imagery especially was impressive.

Absolutely off-topic just thought I'd share it because it's awesome xD

Fuuuuuck that!
But it looks fun anyway.

Whoever told me to check out nichibros, I love you. Amazing show.

Im glad you have discovered this gem! Im even more glad that NISA actually released a boxset. I seriously didnt expect that.

Eusis

The original Drakengard failed in that too. The story was an awful mess of dropped plot points and characters with basically no development.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how Yoko Taro managed to write Nier. It's like if the writer of SAO suddenly wrote Utena. WTF!
I was thinking that even if not well executed the sheer Crazy on display can be enough of a draw, but then I guess that makes that comparison more apt in that SOMETHING about SAO seems to appeal to people a lot but it seems to be regarded as not very well done. I guess like something that has a "cool" factor but crumbles under serious analysis.
Actually, put the Chaika team on Zelda, would probably turn out pretty good.
Going by what I had heard about Chaika (initially?) I'd expect it to be Scrapped Princess with everyone replaced with Zelda characters.

I fully endorse this message

Quick question. If I enjoyed Nanoha and Nanoha A's, would I enjoy Strike Witches? Because those two actually had somewhat of a semi-decent plot that actually hooked me on what was going to happen next. Could Strike Witches do the same? Or is it only good for the :cajun of it all?

sonicmj1

Anyone and everyone, don't buy Drakengard 3. I just finished it and feel like I've been trolled. Fuck this mess of a game that doesn't even have good writing to make up for how terrible it plays.

Sasuga Yoko Taro.

I'd bought the Japanese release, but I couldn't even be assed to get through the game because the combat was so bad it made Nier seem like the work of an experienced team of action game developers.

cajunator

Banned
Quick question. If I enjoyed Nanoha and Nanoha A's, would I enjoy Strike Witches? Because those two actually had somewhat of a semi-decent plot that actually hooked me on what was going to happen next. Could Strike Witches do the same? Or is it only good for the :cajun of it all?

Its not much for plot. They are fighting against a group of aliens and theres no real twists or turns. Its just a fun simple storyline. Nanoha was way more complex. You might really enjoy Vividred.

Its not much for plot. They are fighting against a group of aliens and theres no real twists or turns. Its just a fun simple storyline. Nanoha was way more complex. You might really enjoy Vividred.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Oh wow, I completely forgot that was on my backlog, lol. Might as well check that out now before going back to Gundam SEED.

JoeFu

Banned
One Week Friends was amazing again, but from the comments I'm reading on CR looks like things are going to change, dude at the end is gonna bring the drama or something?

Oh man.

I'm not even THIRTY SECONDS into Vividred 1 and there's a scene that that looks like it was taken straight out of Madoka Magica.

THIRTY SECONDS.

The two are so dissimilar that I'm having trouble understanding how you came to compare them! Strike Witches is a fun romp that doesn't ever take itself too seriously, as one can see by the genderbending of dozens of WWII aces into girls who continuously show their butts.
Oh man.

I'm not even THIRTY SECONDS into Vividred 1 and there's a scene that that looks like it was taken straight out of Madoka Magica.

THIRTY SECONDS.
VROOM VROOM.

Midonin

Fate/Zero 02-07

Memorial Day week means a much faster pace than I had anticipated. I still have my reservations, but one of my problems with the first episode was addressed. Levity. Iskander and Waver are actually my favorite of all the pairs, because Waver is the closest to normal of all these people, and because Iskander is a lot of fun. Seeing it as more of a tournament than a death match, he, Lancer and Saber are the only heroic spriits who are actually putting forth the idea of being heroic. Plus, he has great taste in graphic print T-shirts.

In Urobuchian terms, it's giving me some very strong Bravo/Pierre and Jonouchi/Gridon/Ornac vibes. The boisterous and unorthodox fighter who does things his way, but has a pretty strong moral center underneath it all, and the dork who associates with him because of chance. I'm enjoying Iris, too, no real opinions on Maiya yet. The guns aren't doing much for me, never really have. And the Caster duo feels a little too gratuitous in its violence for my tastes. Most of it is not shown, but in a world of moral grayness, they feel almost too deep in the black. Which I realize is the point. That's the most I can really do with criticism. I can understand why something is the way it is, but at the same time, admit as much that it's not really for me.

Surprised at the decompression of time, too. That first fight took about three episodes to complete. And when the show's first (non-cannon fodder) battle is a duel of blades between Saber and Lancer, this reinforces my idea that this is supposed to be judged at least partially in the context of its parent series. All this foreshadowing has to exist for more than fanservice.

It's enjoyable, and I'm a bit more comfortable once I see the parallels to Kamen Rider Gaim in it, but I'm also only a quarter of the way through. More tomorrow.

Stulaw

Tonari no Seki-kun 21
Robot Family episodes are always the best.

If Her Flag Breaks 8
It's almost caught up with where I was in the Manga, it's better with action as opposed to generic harem stuff.

Baby Steps 8
This is actually adding parts that weren't in the manga, the manga timeskipped to the kanagawa junior tournament 1 year on after him learning ball control and his first practice with Takuma, rather than show Eichiro's other games during that year. Still adds to his development.

Well the problem probably won't be zelda but link.

hey , yeeeaa , yaaaaah

Oh the fears ... i'm now imagining a silent link and and "Navi" fairy speaking for him all the time.

I wonder if he will side hop the whole time through the anime.

HEY HA HOO HA HEY HA HOO HA HEY HA HOO HA HEY HA HOO HA HEY HA HOO HA

cajunator

Banned
People were expecting anything good from the Drakengard series?

Mh4HXOO.gif

Fi <3

After looking up story stuff from F/SN after finishing Fate/Zero it just seems.... kinda bad. I also really don't want any
Saber romance
lol. I don't know if ufotable can make it good.

Its going to be miserable failure storywise but its going to look so good!

Well excuuuuuuuse me princess.

I propose we form the Strike Witches community trust for poor fans of witches in order to fund their witch love!

I condone this course of action.

THORAXES IS THE ONLY BEAR I WILL ACKNOWLEDGE.

Actually, put the Chaika team on Zelda, would probably turn out pretty good.

Actually...it would!

Oh man.

THIRTY SECONDS.

It might have copped a few ideas but Vividred is MUCH different.
Its certainly much more like Nanoha.

The two are so dissimilar that I'm having trouble understanding how you came to compare them! Strike Witches is a fun romp that doesn't ever take itself too seriously, as one can see by the genderbending of dozens of WWII aces into girls who continuously show their butts.

VROOM VROOM.

Very yes!

It was a mahou shoujo with a lot of fanservice that I didn't expect much out of. I thought Strike Witches was generally the same thing.

Vividred Operation - 1

UNOqzTW.png

THIS CERTAINLY LOOKS FAMILIAR.

Oh man, this show has :theonik written all over it!

This feels like some kind of weird mix between a super robot show and a mahou shoujo. I mean, the main girl gets a powerful weapon from her super scientist grandpa who turns into a ferret.

Hell, that transformation scene looked like she was going to turn into a mecha before it turned into mahou shoujo clothing!

Also, Alone is the worst name for an enemy ever.

Tonari no Seki-kun - 21

"This is no time to be impressed , dad !"

Superb episode even if it relied a lot on the rest of the show 'to get' everything

Bring it on the oavs !!

Is there such a thing as selective internet? Jesus I've been trying to load Crunchyroll for so long but it won't load, and other pages won't load either, but neoGAF and other shit seem to be working. What the hell.

Superflat

Has anyone here gone to Anime Expo in LA before? I'm thinking about going since I'll be in the area during that time. Is it worth it?
I'm probably going. I haven't been to an anime con in years :U
Kill la Kill guests makes it worth it for me. I think Keiji Inafune is gonna be there too.

Attack on Titan Episodes 1-25

I&#8217;ve been watching this the past week and finally finished it today. I enjoyed it but would have preferred it if
none of the humans could turn into Titans. If it had just been regular humans with their jetpack thingies overcoming the Titans I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Although seeing the final battle between Eren and the female Titan inside the city was really fucking cool.
Will probably start reading the manga now.

THIS SO MUCH. Would have much, much cooler if they stuck with the initial premise. Was actually really disappointed at the reveal.

Is there such a thing as selective internet? Jesus I've been trying to load Crunchyroll for so long but it won't load, and other pages won't load either, but neoGAF and other shit seem to be working. What the hell.

Carefull that you didn't get a nasty program that touched you Host file or added a proxy in your internet setting against your will.

Kanojo ga flag wo oraretara - 08

Why is this show so entertaining ?
One thing for sur this anime won't ever thread on new grounds , but damn it sure does travel on existing grounds well.

First , we have some generic comedy , then ruri arrived and made everything much more awesome.
Akane confirmed that she is the purest harem character i have ever seen All before big sister made things more complicated.This wouldn't be a problem as we went for a outdoor onsen scene that was generic by nature all for the sake of introducing back nanami. And give everyone the escuse to travel.

At this point i was nicely entertained BUT TWIST happenned.
Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20wo%20Oraretara%20-%2008.jpg

So cute...i want one at home
Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20wo%20Oraretara%20-%2008_02.jpg

So deadly , i don't want one at home !
Ruri became chibi - ruri , and we get introduced to nanami sister. i was expecting some classic jealousy thing but NO!

Assasin ruri appeared ! maids with machineguns replied ! a desesperate escape was a necessity .. and more twists.

WHY is this show so entertaining ? why is ruri so awesome ?
This show is turning into my spring sleeper hit , because its' so stupid yet awesome.
A country that produce wine , should not have mass produced terminator like robots : just saying.

Let's be completely honest this will not end in NTR. This'll just be Hase-kun whining and feeling insecure until broseph tells him to man up, he does, gets the girl, and happy ending. God what a whiny lead.

Just got back from watching X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Thought it was fine. Certainly better than X3.

Two things really need to be said.

1. The Hugh Jackman fan service scene was phenomenal. Could not tear my eyes off the screen.

2. Quicksilver needs his own movie. The guy easily stole the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom