• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Escaflowne of the Heavens 19-20
mstoud.png
Some bullshit on these last 2 episodes I mean damn.

Jex

Just watched the two Legend of the Galactic Heroes movies that introduces the series. I'm afraid about a drop of quality going into the anime. Also, do I want to watch it or read the manga?

You just watch it. Of course there's quality drop when going from a movie to an OVA series but so be it.

There's no manga either, it's based off an actual book.

Link Man

Banned
Black Bullet 8

iJ8EAgDHYGq0Y.jpg

Oh yeah, these guys exist.

Yikes, cnet might die with this episode.

And now I feel terrible.

Yay, Rentaro's finally got a bro!

Aizo

Banned
Hunter x Hunter - 131
Holy holy. The directing for this series keeps impressing me.
Gonna is scary as fuck. The music rolling in as Gon broke down was stunning. Also, the black and white scene was phenomenal. I didn't expect this change for Gon, and saying he is a bit happy to be like Kite... Eeesh. Dark, dark, dark.

Midonin

Black Bullet 08

Having Tina around adds a feeling of warmth as the threats get progressively bigger. Her and Enju doing their magical-Tenchu Girls cosplay was adorable (in fact, the single for the show within a show features both the "in universe" version and a cover sung by these two). Rumi Okubo as Yuzuki was also a nice showing. And that scene with the blind girl was really playing all of the possible cards for pathos, but, by and large, it worked. And the "school" scene at the beginning. Come to think of it, with the oncoming threat of the Gastrea being mostly something that's yet to come, this episode had a lot of touching moments. Which must mean the battles ahead are going to be really gritty.

Magica Wars 08

Not the flashiest transform, but I liked it.

Jex

Sure, but people were surprised in episode 3. And then again in episode 7. In literally the first seconds you can feel something off. Plus even the happy parts have something sinister waning above them. And QB is maybe a hit to creepy designed, its just too obvious even with the cute voice.

Everything you've said is correct but audiences, in general, are pretty bad at spotting signs of foreshadowing unless you actually shove it in their faces.

fertygo

You know, this "anime fan" not seeing Madoka gonna being ultra edgy is BS, MAL/Asuki/randomc visiting kind of anime fan seeing it coming since the announcement with Gen as writer.

The anime just got big, its reaching fame where the kind of people that's not usually watching anime want to take a peak of it, those people are that shocked with the development.

jman2050

You know, this "anime fan" not seeing Madoka gonna being ultra edgy is BS, MAL/Asuki/randomc visiting kind of anime fan seeing it coming since the announcement with Gen as writer.

The anime just got big, its reaching fame where the kind of people that's not usually watching anime want to take a peak of it, those people are that shocked with the development.

I had no idea who Gen Urobutchi was before watching Madoka. Maybe it's because I'm not an obsessive anime fan?

fertygo

I had no idea who Gen Urobutchi was before watching Madoka. Maybe it's because I'm not an obsessive anime fan?

Good for you. Worse if you seeing every preview discussion before airing is boil down to "nice boat gonna got beaten" "x eps before
someone die?
"

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Good for you. Worse if you seeing every preview discussion before airing is boil down to "nice boat gonna got beaten" "x eps before
someone die?
"

I don't know what world you think you live in but that's not what actually happened for most people.

cajunator

Banned
Where is this?

Buffalo River in northern Arkansas. Its incredibly beautiful up there. We camped on the riverbank on rocks and slept outside next to rattlesnake dens. But I had a lot of fun. The water is so clear and cold and even fishing in it was incredible since you could actually see the fish.

Before Madoka he was mainly known for VN's like Saya no Uta. But that was enough to know Madoka wouldnt be a happy story. If I were to express any surprise at all it was that Madoka Magica wasnt darker than it is.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Not everyone can afford a subscription to both CR and Funi, i guess?
I had zero interest in having subs to both, but I bought the $20 six month Funi sub. I haven't used it once yet since they don't have an app for any of the consoles and the iPad app sucks. You have to pay $10 to get an ad-free one, even if you sub? Kiss my ass Funi.

fertygo

Chariot

Everything you've said is correct but audiences, in general, are pretty bad at spotting signs of foreshadowing unless you actually shove it in their faces.
Definitly feels like that sometimes.
"He's fast!"
"It's X!"
"I'm wounded!"
"You came inside me."
Thank you anime, I can see that!

Yeah, that's is probably.

I also browsed a bit throug MAL. Luckily it has a dedicated section for every single anime. It's not as bad as I remembered, but there are still a bit of weird comments. And MAL is not the place where non-anime viewers crowd.
All comments from episode 3
what

I thought this was going to be a typical magical girl anime. That was messed up.
Seriously, I'm still speechless. I've literally for the past ten minutes processing all this and the only conclusion I come to is, "Shit just got real." I mean, this is OUTSTANDING. I thought this would be a typical Magical Girl anime like Shuga Chara or Tokyo Mew Mew, but it's so much more, breathtaking.

I didn't expect that at ALL. Mami was my favorite character too, I really doubt they'd kill off a main character just like that. Maybe she's severely INJURED, but I don't think we should go as far to say she's dead. But if they resurrect her, it will be too cliche and my rating for it will plummit, even if it's Mami..

Can they just give us the next episode NOW? This is seriously the one show next to KnT 2 that I anticipate for the next episode each week.
Wow I wasn't expecting that at all -- a magical mind rape from what I believed to be just another mahou shoujo anime...
I also lol'd at all the people who claimed that everyone who thinks that
Mami is really dead is stupid

Also threads like:
Homura - biggest bitch? (spoilers)
How can anyone like Homura?
Sayaka is the best character and if you don't agree you are wrong (

santeesioux

I had zero interest in having subs to both, but I bought the $20 six month Funi sub. I haven't used it once yet since they don't have an app for any of the consoles and the iPad app sucks. You have to pay $10 to get an ad-free one, even if you sub? Kiss my ass Funi.

Wow, didn't know that. That's pretty shitty.

Crocodile

What I find funny about stuff like this is that much of the discussion surrounding anime-to-Hollywood properties focused on e.g. Akira and Evangelion but the movies that actually end up getting made is stuff like Kite and, more tangentitally, The Edge of Tomorrow.

I think it helps that there are such lower expectations for the titles of lower profile that people can actually get to work on them rather than worry if they are "true to the material" or can "live up to the legacy" or whatever. Fewer "cooks in the kitchen" too to bog things down. What needs to happen is a Black Lagoon movie though. So perfect for a Hollywood adaptation :)

Jex

If you guys are in, I'm serious. lol

If someone had told me in 2009 that in the year 2014 not only would firehawk12 still not have watched Utena, despite owning it, but that he'd launched a campaign where people paid him to watch it, I'd have laughed them out of town.

Defuser

My first experience with the Gen Urobochi is Blassreiter which was kinda interesting although people say it's shit. Never did watch Madoka or Fate/Zero(come at me haters). Psycho Pass was ok and the butcher didn't really write majority of Gargantia.

Now the currently airing Kamen Rider Gaim is one of Gen's works I enjoy. Despite being a fruity theme kamen rider, it's serious, people dying brutally, grim, full of plotting,backstabbing and betrayals which makes you question whether it's for a kids show but damn it's fucking good and everybody watching so far enjoys it.

I highly suggest checking out Kamen Rider Gaim even if you're not a fan of Tokusatsu or live action.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Withdrawing my pledge to Ariastarter unless firehawk watches the second 13 episodes of LOGH.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If someone had told me in 2009 that in the year 2014 not only would firehawk12 still not have watched Utena, despite owning it, but that he'd launched a campaign where people paid him to watch it, I'd have laughed them out of town.
Yet here we are!

Wait..he OWNS Utena?
I even own the ring that Rightstuf gave away. lol

Withdrawing my pledge to Ariastarter unless firehawk watches the second 13 episodes of LOGH.
That offer is only for wonzo!

Pooya

Now the currently airing Kamen Rider Gaim is one of Gen's works I enjoy. Despite being a fruity theme kamen rider, it's serious, people dying brutally, grim, full of plotting,backstabbing and betrayals which makes you question whether it's for a kids show but damn it's fucking good and everybody watching so far enjoys it.

I highly suggest checking out Kamen Rider Gaim even if you're not a fan of Tokusatsu or live action.

I was meaning to ask about that, good to hear. I'll check it out some day.

Eusis

I had the exact same reaction. People wouldn't stop going on about:

"oh man, the third episode"
"the third episode is where everything changes"
"I thought it would be all normal, but then the third episode came."

So I checked it out, and
I was confused at first. Halfway through the episode there's the nice heartwarming scene. What's so dark about tha-

*chomp*

OHHHHHHHHHH.

It wasn't a big "HOLY SHIT" moment. But it is still pretty shocking.
Heh, glad I kept myself on the dark though beyond mostly unavoidable stuff like Kyubey offering contracts and that in general it's supposed to be a darker, mind bending anime
I dont subscribe to Funi/Hulu myself. But they dont really have enough shows to justify a subscription.
It's not bad if you've got other people in the household or whatever to share it with, though I do think the selection probably has an edge over Netflix at this point. Too bad about the ads though.

Well, the counterpoint to everyone checking it out after it got big is that most of us would have some idea of it really being a dark show that can get screwed up, I have to imagine the base of people who just want to watch it for being a "cute magical girl show" dries up REALLY FAST, kind of like how most people don't watch Twin Peaks now expecting a buddy cop show but expecting an unusual David Lynch production. Granted there's still people that will come in wondering what's the big deal looking even less closely than I did (and ignoring, say, Netflix saying it's DARK and OMINOUS and is an anime drama) but I have to imagine most of them expect SOMETHING different.

phaze

I'd say he is in the best position to criticize Saber's reign considering we know for a fact he actually reigned and isn't some jumbled up folklore of a person who may or may not have existed.

Well in the Fate verse Saber is as much a real and historical ruler as Alexander. And his own brand of kingship didn't do much better than
Arthuria's
which is why I don't think he gets to criticize her reign.

Trigun 23

Pretty great episode.
The reveal that Wolfwood was doing Legato's bidding took me by surprise. While it was certain he had some hidden agenda/past I thought he would be more of an independent player. Especially since he took out a few Gun-Ho-Guns himself. (Truly a great plan Legato, let your own people kill themselves)

RIP best guy, you'll be missed.

Link Man

Banned
Wagnaria!! 9

Well, Inami's got some interesting ideas.

So it's all daddy's fault. Of course.

What is wrong with these fathers?

Yamada is frighteningly well-prepared for this.

Yachiyo with the obvious solution. I don't know what to think anymore.

No, really, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY?

That. Was. Awesome.

Best episode thus far.

Black Bullet 8

tumblr_n68vsmDl751so56pco1_500.gif

Super powered lolis dressing up as magical girls. Nice.

Tina is great. Shit is gonna go down next episode. She needs a new pair of clothes though.

That's Maya, she tries to avoid everyone, because she want to be normal. Very hard.

Would be nice if she had a conversation or two with the main cast.

Jex

I know it's based off a book, but wikipedia tells me there was in fact a manga.

I've never heard anyone mention it specifically so I can only assume it's never been translated or is rather underwhelming. As the anime is so lengthy and, well, 'complete', it's not like you ever feel the need to go check out anymore material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom