• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vividred Operation - 8

This show is so phoned in. I don't know why I feel disappointed, seeing as I expected little to nothing from this to begin with. But I guess it's because I think this could have been a really good and fun show with what they had going here.

Everything in this episode feels so rushed. Yeah, the fight scene was longer and was pretty cool, but I feel like what went down in this episode could have been stretched out for like another episode or two. Because
whatever tension they "tried" to fit in this episode ultimately falls flat on its face with how quickly it's resolved.

Vividred Operation - 8

This show is so phoned in. I don't know why I feel disappointed, seeing as I expected little to nothing from this to begin with. But I guess it's because I think this could have been a really good and fun show with what they had going here.

Everything in this episode feels so rushed. Yeah, the fight scene was longer and was pretty cool, but I feel like what went down in this episode could have been stretched out for like another episode or two. Because
whatever tension they "tried" to fit in this episode ultimately falls flat on its face with how quickly it's resolved.
The quality of Vividred episodes is equally proportionate to how many butts there were, which is why that 7-9 (especially 9!) or so stretch was easily the worst of the show.

NGNL 8

This show is the definition of "doesn't deserve to be this good"

this is officially the Log Horizon of this season, no questions asked.

Holy shit what an ending, and the ED with the twist hahaha fucking great. It went full Steins;Gate, this is too good. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Syrinx

Vividred Operation - 8

This is the way I end up feeling with a lot of "lewd" shows, most recently Strike Witches. Not expecting much, but at least expecting the lewdness to provide some entertainment value, and just walking away bored and indifferent.

Articalys

Its a greeeeeat figure!
The pose, the colors, the expression, the base..the only imperfection is the price hehee.
You actually look at prices for things? I was under the impression you had so much disposable income earmarked for anime-related stuff that you could simply buy anything you wanted on sight.
This is the way I end up feeling with a lot of "lewd" shows, most recently Strike Witches. Not expecting much, but at least expecting the lewdness to provide some entertainment value, and just walking away bored and indifferent.
As disappointed as I was with Vividred overall, the first two episodes were still really fun.

cajunator

Banned
You actually look at prices for things? I was under the impression you had so much disposable income earmarked for anime-related stuff that you could simply buy anything you wanted on sight.

As disappointed as I was with Vividred overall, the first two episodes were still really fun.

I have a lot of disposeable income due to where I live and the amount of savings but its not infinite. Im not rich lol.

mankoto

Hey AnimeGAF, been lurking a few days and I've decided to post. Hope we can get along.

No Game No Life - 8
Can't believe this show almost slipped through my fingers. I almost dropped it at episode 3 because I found it incredibly boring... But this episode takes the cake. Especially how
the ending was edited with him out of it.
That honestly took me off guard. The implication of what was happening was pretty obvious so I didn't mind it, but I didn't think they'd go that far with it. It honestly blew my mind.

Hitsugi no Chaika - 08
I wasn't really feeling this episode all that much. Although it was nice change of pace with decent world building - specifically on the Neo Gaz Empire. Happy to see that the budget is a lot better than last week's too.

cajunator

Banned
Hey AnimeGAF, been lurking a few days and I've decided to post. Hope we can get along.

No Game No Life - 8
Can't believe this show almost slipped through my fingers. I almost dropped it at episode 3 because I found it incredibly boring... But this episode takes the cake. Especially how
the ending was edited with him out of it.
That honestly took me off guard. The implication of what was happening was pretty obvious so I didn't mind it, but I didn't think they'd go that far with it. It honestly blew my mind.

Hitsugi no Chaika - 08
I wasn't really feeling this episode all that much. Although it was nice change of pace with decent world building - specifically on the Neo Gaz Empire. Happy to see that the budget is a lot better than last week's too.

Well you're watching some fun shows. We should get along nicely.

Midonin

Fate/Zero 20-25 + Einzbern Consultation Room 01-06 + Final Thoughts

Before I ever decided to give into the hype and also marketing and watch this series, the first thing I encountered was his afterword from the first volume, usually in contrast to the ongoing Madoka. In retrospect, I spent too much time at TV Tropes. I knew this wouldn't have a happy ending, and for this final batch of episodes....

Well, it was certainly dramatic. The exposition was plentiful throughout the show, and the ending led up to the conclusion that was obvious since the beginning, but it's that conclusion that's why I can't pass judgment on it. I was never able to separate the series and view it as its own identity. It avoids most of the pitfalls that many prequels do, but the sense that it was inherently restrained is present. It expands on the backstory, but it feels like the opening remarks of a debate. Stay/night exists to provide a counterpoint, a second chance - though some would call this the second chance, but it depends on which angle one is going for. A rebuttal. Perhaps the new version of stay/night in the fall will be able to better articulate that point than the first try, but to some extent I can only see them as two halves of a greater whole instead of two separate works. The Act One and the Act Two of Saber's story. Of several peoples' stories.

That said, it did, mostly, live up to the hype. Animation was visually appealing (though the CGI was a bit obvious at times) and the writing was overall tight. I'm already used to Urobuchi's lengthy exposition, so while at times it felt like it was going on about things I either knew or wasn't particularly invested in - the stuff about how all this magic works is great for supplementary materials, but for me, characters come first - but it never detracted from the experience.

I did raise my complaint about the small ratio of female characters, and all of them never felt superfluous - Sola-Ui accomplished a lot in her small amount of time - but I still prefer Stay/night's lineup of characters a bit more. My favorite characters were the Iskander/Waver duo and Zecchan. But I'll get to her in a bit. Until the end, Rider/Alex/Iskandar was the most heroic of the Heroic Spirits, and Waver has the kind of zero-to-hero story I find appealing. The two are just a great pair. Alex bragged, but ultimately, he was modest. I still find Gilgamesh to be an ass. Kirei's evolution was interesting, and Kiritsugu was, while ultimately understandable and good-intentioned, I never really felt him admirable. Which, I can tell, is the point.

Plenty of Urobuchi's archetypes are present, and given the large cast and high stakes for a wish, many of them are being repeated in Kamen Rider Gaim, right now. I may have leaned on this as a crutch, but looking at multiple works by an author is a great way to get an idea of what's important to them.

I'm really glad I blazed through the Einzbern Consultation Room extras before watching the finale.

They did one thing that any media mix creator should be able to do in order to earn my respect. Be able to laugh at themselves. Zecchan and Iris taking the wind out of everyone's sails (except Rider, of course) was both informative and meta, cracking the kind of jokes that the main show never could. Zecchan's remarks were great. Hisako Kanemoto delivered a fine performance. When she grows up, she's going to be a fine voice of levity and also be voiced by Miki Itou.

It even managed to tell a story of its own in the final, extra-long one. This is kinda making me want to check out Carnival Phantasm, though I feel I'll need to watch more Type-Moon stuff and get pulled even deeper into this crazy universe before I subject myself to something that's 90% in-jokes.

I'm glad I got to experience it, and see what everyone was talking about (and have some context for things depending on how much the new Stay/night shakes things up), but the heavy gunplay and overall grittiness of the show means that while I understand why it's popular with a lot of the Western fanbase, it's unlikely I'll put it in my favorites list anytime soon. What I'm looking for in an anime is being offered elsewhere.

I'm not going to say something ridiculous like "I like Stay/night more than Zero." I'm going to say something ridiculous like "I like Prisma Illya more than Zero." Magical girls are simply more appealing to me, and it's a good example of being self-referential and telling a story people can get invested in. Looking forward to 2wei this summer! Still, it was an enjoyable experience, but ultimately, one that has some lingering questions that will be answered in the fall.

This ain't over yet.

(Next on the backlog, Kamisama Kazoku)

Lewdness, especially flashing T&A, is such a stale bag of cheap tricks. It's hard for it to garner much interest unless you're truly ingenious in deploying it, as Gintama can be for example.

No game no Life - 08
i actually love how they handled this twist... it's much better than in the books.
That glitchy ending song was superb.
I really encourage anyone who hasn't read the books yet to be mindfull of spoilers because the last spurt of this arc really shouldn't be spoiled at all. it's a great ride and i really couldn't stop reading when i reached this point.... i was glued to my tablet untill this arc ended .... it's freaking magnificent.
Well, your warning came too late for me. My curiosity got the better of me and I just finished reading Volume 3 after starting it earlier today. Will have to agree with you though, Once I picked it up, I wasn't able to put it down, even with my mind yelling at me that I should just wait for the natural conclusion in the show. Some great stuff should be happening in the next 4 episodes, and I can't wait to see it.

duckroll

That's actually what the original Mushishi did - the broadcast of the last six episodes was delayed from March to May so that they could be finished.

It's interesting how delays in general don't seem to be very common for TV anime (unless you're Shaft and you really can't finish anything at all). I guess it's the nature of the business where the sponsors tend to want to broadcast something - anything, regardless of quality just to meet their obligations. I wonder if Nagahama really has that much control over his projects, or if he simply has very supportive producers working with him.

Syrinx

Lewdness, especially flashing T&A, is such a stale bag of cheap tricks. It's hard for it to garner much interest unless you're truly ingenious in deploying it, as Gintama can be for example.

I really should watch Gintama, but that length is pretty daunting. But I guess I've pulled it off before.

cajunator

Banned

Lewdness is ok as long as its accompanied by cuteness.
If its just lewd for lewd's sake meh for me.

Woofington only has like 5k posts, so everyone around here must have weightier opinions than him :p

goddamn I just looked at my total post count ._.

Well, your warning came too late for me. My curiosity got the better of me and I just finished reading Volume 3 after starting it earlier today. Will have to agree with you though, Once I picked it up, I wasn't able to put it down, even with my mind yelling at me that I should just wait for the natural conclusion in the show. Some great stuff should be happening in the next 4 episodes, and I can't wait to see it.

Well , it was good , right ? you have no real regrets , right ?
Now you can think of all the good things they have left to animate for this season.

Actually I should probably have started at square one and asked what exactly does it mean to be "this season's Log Horizon" anyway.

Biggest surprise of the season that not only did it mask how good it was via something subpar (Log Horizon had a lackluster first couple of episodes, NGNL has really lewd shit at points), it ended up being among the top shows of the season.

And thanks for the warning on minding spoilers guys. Not like I was gonna read a LN, never have and never will, but wiki spoilers might've done it. Also has NGNL been confirmed for just one cour?

Woofington only has like 5k posts, so everyone around here must have weightier opinions than him :p
60Ii5yt.png

Are Sidonia No Kishi and Black Bullet any good?

Black Bullet is a harem show that has way too good of animation and art style/design. If you can ignore how many lolis there are, it's a pretty fun show to watch. Writing is very comical in how cliche it is.

I'm just sayin', you should be calling us senpai

I'll die first. Only person from AnimeGAF I've ever called senpai is Corvo, and that's more because 90% of users here rides his Obama Obama

Baby Steps 05-06

IjiHXncl.jpg

I like all these reasons on why he has good eyes. Especially about how living in front of the train actually helps him.

Puchimas!! 49

Such manly tears.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 36

Poor England. At least Netherlands posed a threat at the start.

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to 08

I feel a whole new side awakening~

Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen 07

The real estate market must be rough

Hitsugi no Chaika 08

Average episode. Not bad and I liked the world building.

I did raise my complaint about the small ratio of female characters, and all of them never felt superfluous - Sola-Ui accomplished a lot in her small amount of time - but I still prefer Stay/night's lineup of characters a bit more.
I'm not going to say something ridiculous like "I like Stay/night more than Zero." I'm going to say something ridiculous like "I like Prisma Illya more than Zero." Magical girls are simply more appealing to me, and it's a good example of being self-referential and telling a story people can get invested in

ER9xhnO.gif

Garzey's RE: Wing

And this was enjoyed by everyone

Earth Maiden Arjuna 1-2

"I want to be one with you"

LEWD!

Juna is dumb. She is so DUMB! Okay start though!

cajunator

Banned
Garzey's RE: Wing

And this was enjoyed by everyone

Earth Maiden Arjuna 1-2

"I want to be one with you"

LEWD!

Juna is dumb. She is so DUMB! Okay start though!

That soundtrack though...
Arjuna's soundtrack is fantastic. One piece in particular is achingly gorgeous. Youll know when you hear it.

As to Sidonia, the animation (CG) and art style is crap, at least for characters. The story was also shit for me since it couldn't decide if it wanted to be serious whiny sci fi or a harem.

I did. Arpeggio was crap animation too but, and I say this grudgingly, it at least made some interesting character designs and actually had a style to it. Even if it was a harem design.

Well , it was good , right ? you have no real regrets , right ?
Now you can think of all the good things they have left to animate for this season.
Nope, no regrets at all. It was good, it left me even more excited for the next episode than I usually am with most shows. Its going to be a real treat to see it come to life.

Also, on an interesting note, that was the first Light Novel I've read for an Anime series. Now I'm thinking of picking up some of the other ones for past shows I've liked (like the Toaru Majutsu no Index series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom