• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, sure! As I said, it's a minor thing by itself, I just see it as a slightly ominous precedent given this particular industry. :p

I hear ya man, I hear ya. As long as I get sweet monster designs and a badass rogue fighting combined with grimdark setting and sweet animation, you could have SO MUCH PLOT bouncing up and down every 5 seconds. Just give me what I want anime industry and I'll ignore the shit.

Mature

That's just a marketing tool. Generally, if a series does well for FUNimation in sales a Anime Classics re-release may come. If the series does poorly in sales that series will probably go to the S.A.V.E. pile.
I'm aware! I'd just hate for people to get the wrong idea.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ping Pong 2

Utterly superb. It's been seasons since I've watched a show where I finish an episode and immediately want to watch it again because I feel like there's a deeper level to explore after being exposed to the surface of the text. There's so much character development and visual subtext to unpack. Not a single wasted scene. Yuasa's killing it.

Eusis

This is basically Araki's modus operandi.

Nobody minds, because the shit he comes up with gets steadily more and more fabulous and creative.
Yeah, there's a flair to it all just from this initial part that makes it work out better than with a lot of other shonen series.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi Zoku-shou 3

I love wintry episodes of Mushishi. They never seem to be the most hard-hitting/standout kind of episodes, but the atmosphere and beauty of a snow-covered landscape is perfect for the show, as are the quiet melancholy it inspires and the subtle, slow-acting dangers it presents. This episode basically embodied all of that.

Articalys

immediately want to watch it again because I feel like there's a deeper level to explore after being exposed to the surface of the text.
I think I've discovered one of the reasons why I sometimes feel like I don't fit in around here -- because in all my recent memory I can't even once recall wanting to do something like that.

I'm aware! I'd just hate for people to get the wrong idea.

I personally enjoyed the series and look forward the the final movie. I usually am not one to watch series about crazy perverted harem antics, but the Japanese voice cast suited their individual characters quite well in my opinion.

Link Man

Banned
I think I've figured out why I've had trouble enjoying JoJo's: it's presented in the same way as a pro-wrestling match, and I really dislike pro-wrestling as an entertainment medium. Does this improve as the series goes along? Because if not, I doubt I can fully enjoy the series and should probably just drop it now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think I've figured out why I've had trouble enjoying JoJo's: it's presented in the same way as a pro-wrestling match, and I really dislike pro-wrestling as an entertainment medium. Does this improve as the series goes along? Because if not, I doubt I can fully enjoy the series and should probably just drop it now.

Are you talking about Speedwagon redundantly relating every single event that's happening on screen to the viewer? I hated that too, but it stops after Phantom Blood.

DATE A LIVE S2 - 02

I loved the berserker girls when i read book 5 and to see that part animated bring me much "joy"

It was as good as i remembered.

That blanter
as they try to win yet don't know how was trully great.

Gazoinks

Chaika 2 Eyebrow 2 Furious

Yeah this was a big improvement. It's fairly typical adventure fantasy, but it's executed well. Solid protag who shows resourcefulness in battle, solid supporting cast, good fight choreography, plot that's cliche but still fairly interesting. All around a good offering, and definitely a big step above the last episode. I hope Akari gets a fight soon. Warhammers are underrepresented in combat.

Chaika.
Yes Chaika.
...Chaika.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 178

I don't mind the parallel plotlines going on with the rescue mission and the finals of the tournament. Plus, I get to have Mimorin as the princess. Excellent showing from Mavis, too. She hits the right balance of cute and fun to watch in battle. Though thinking about what I heard last week, it is true that Mirajane's lost some of her bust in the process of the new character designs. Maybe she'll get it back when they release a few more OVAs/another movie - the service is always ramped up for those.

Stardust Crusaders 3

I'm so excited to see this is an almost totally faithful adaptation because I've forgotten nearly everything but my favorite fights from part 3. David Production is really doing a damn good job with this and it's great this probably won't be Polnareff's Bizarre Adventure like the OVAs.

I don't know, but I don't care about wrestling at all and I love JoJo.

Chaika 2 Eyebrow 2 Furious

Yeah this was a big improvement. It's fairly typical adventure fantasy, but it's executed well. Solid protag who shows resourcefulness in battle, solid supporting cast, good fight choreography, plot that's cliche but still fairly interesting. All around a good offering, and definitely a big step above the last episode. I hope Akari gets a fight soon. Warhammers are underrepresented in combat.

Chaika.
Yes Chaika.
...Chaika.

I especially like that the protagonist has balls. When they try to convince him with "there will be war" he's all "shit that's what I want, I'm fucking bored yo". Refreshing, considering most badass fighters in anime with a leading role are always saying they don't want to fight.

*Hidamari Sketch, x365, and Mushishi DVDs next monday* *Casshern Sins Blu rays here potentially next week at best*

What a joyful week.
y3jLzEU.gif

cajunator

Banned
There's a 2nd PV out for the newest Date a Live game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kOnIZ4mqA0

kurumineko pics needed.

Date A Live S2 2
So one of the twins has basically a chuunibyou personality and the other one is like a computer. Pretty interesting twins.

oh that sounds squee!

I'm finally back home from my Japan trip.

Here's what I bought:

I also got a grab bag of anime cels/sketches for 500 JPY:

I got it because I could see the You're Under Arrest cel. Feel free to tell me what animes the other ones are from :p

sweet pickups man.

You know, I think the volumes sold well in Japan regardless, but I can't remember.

Not that I understand the appeal of the Superbowl, but I understand at least why people seem to be arbitrarily invested in it even if their city is not represented in the event. Endless Eight is similar in a "you had to be there" kind of way.

I guess with this one in particular, it almost seemed as if the problem may have worked out even if he wasn't there. It's just an interesting approach, since you'd expect him to basically solve their problems by rationally explaining why they have been possessed in the first place.

My favorite NFL team actually won a superbowl recently so I have a vested interest in them. But generally it is a huge event in the us and fun to follow.
Anime events for us can be just as exciting to follow. Madoka was one such occasion. So much speculation and fanart and discussion went on. Its worth following along.

Jintor

it was kind of a disquieting feeling to realise in my 21st-22nd year of existence that i actually kinda do like pro wrestling, at least in terms of it as a dumb soap opera thing

Ping Pong 2

Utterly superb. It's been seasons since I've watched a show where I finish an episode and immediately want to watch it again because I feel like there's a deeper level to explore after being exposed to the surface of the text. There's so much character development and visual subtext to unpack. Not a single wasted scene. Yuasa's killing it.

It's interesting to me when people credit Yuasa, because so far the anime has felt like an almost exact continuation of the style of the manga author Matsumoto. I wonder if that's because I'm more familiar with Matsumoto's work than Yuasa's, so it's easier for me to pick out elements that are recognizably "his."

Escha and Logy - 2

Where has this been my entire life? This is nothing but calm, and enjoyable fantasy. The scariest thing about this is, there's one male protagonist and a ton of waifus, and there is yet to be any sort of crazy fanservice whatsoever. It's just...nice!

Aw man, I may end up getting one of the Atelier games if they are all like this. I'm loving this show so far.

Articalys

Nanana's Buried Treasure - 02

There is conflict within my heart. HanaKana trying to mindfuck me this season it seems.
Easy solution.
Unless there's some actual element in the main story that requires him to be male for anything other than a cheap joke, she's a girl.
Problem solved. And anyway...

Quasar

DATE A LIVE S2 - 02

I loved the berserker girls when i read book 5 and to see that part animated bring me much "joy"

It was as good as i remembered.

That banter
as they try to win yet don't know how was trully great.

The banter was good.

A few things I found interesting about this. Yoshino shows no attachment anxiety that Tohka has. Also Tohka had no reaction to the fact of the twins being alone and naked with her beloved.

Eusis

Escha and Logy - 2

Where has this been my entire life? This is nothing but calm, and enjoyable fantasy. The scariest thing about this is, there's one male protagonist and a ton of waifus, and there is yet to be any sort of crazy fanservice whatsoever. It's just...nice!

Aw man, I may end up getting one of the Atelier games if they are all like this. I'm loving this show so far.
Ok, you skip to Ayesha instead of starting with Totori. Not that it seems the Atelier games are TOO extreme with fanservice, but the Arland games seem to have their moments while the Dusk games are cleaner there.

Fairy Tail Episode 178 Fairy Tactician
BljZOm2IQAEy9F1.png

This episode wasnt bad covering all the fights I wanted to see animated and more, specifically Rufus attack and at least that which best guild, BLue Pegasus is doing.

Dresden

It's interesting to me when people credit Yuasa, because so far the anime has felt like an almost exact continuation of the style of the manga author Matsumoto. I wonder if that's because I'm more familiar with Matsumoto's work than Yuasa's, so it's easier for me to pick out elements that are recognizably "his."

Ettinger said it well:

The beauty is that Yuasa disappears into Taiyo Matsumoto. Rather than grandstanding with out-of-place flourishes, he is subservient to the material.

Articalys

Oh, I just remembered -- when I was working on the crossword puzzle in the paper this morning, I eventually got to a point where I had a single empty letter space in a five-letter clue:

E R O _ E

You can probably guess what letter I mentally completed the word with, even though it wasn't the correct answer (
"erose", a synonym for "uneven"
)

Gazoinks

Jojo Stardust Crusaders 3

A setup episode, but a good one! This episode has a lot of fun moments, from Abdul's strangely erotic description of Dio, to Holly being a weeb, to Kakyoin crushing on Holly and everyone else determinedly ignoring it. This is a really great adaptation so far, and it's nice to see something of a budget! Good times, and next time we meet the best character.

Oh, and the ED is pretty great.

Gazoinks

I like that they actually tried visually with the ED, but the song is a big step down from roundabout.

Walk Like An Egyptian definitely isn't as awesome as Roundabout, but I think it suits the tone of Part 3 pretty well. Though I hope they switch to something more hype for the later bits.

Bunny Cafe 2

Being called a potential rapist isn't something to be happy about

Miyuki (Cocoa) has no idea what's in store for her. But in the meantime, we get a new girl named Reika (Chiya). Difference with this Reika
She wants Miyuki... hard

So apparently complaining about HxH's current pacing gets me basically called an idiot and I should enjoy simpler shows such as Gintama and Kill La Kill. Thanks cwarrior.

Why do some people think that Kurumi is the best girl from Date A Live is because of her straightforward personality, though I'll admit her voice is really awesome for some reason.

Hunter X Hunter definitely has some pacing issues in the CA arc, manga or anime.

Even if somebody is in the other side, it is enough of a complaint by a sizable amount of people that they can acknowledge that maybe it is an issue. Notice how almost nobody had complaints prior to the 'assault on the castle' section over pacing.

Even if somebody is in the other side, it is enough of a complaint by a sizable amount of people that they can acknowledge that maybe it is an issue. Notice how almost nobody had complaints prior to the 'assault on the castle' section over pacing.

That section is pretty good in the manga, but it's like 20 chapters spent on 30 seconds of different people's perspective. I imagine reading that weekly would be pretty terrible.

So you are calling Precure characters by forum poster names and Gochiusa characters by Precure names... what series are you going to start calling the character by Gochiusa names then?
One of us would have to be a combination not-Ayaya/not-Azunyan, and that just makes it even harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom