• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Majin Bone 3

majinbone3.jpg

Three episodes in and this show about some digital card game is far more fun than one would think it has any right to be. In between the Toei budget and the awful CG fights there's some really charming stuff there which make the bad bits totally worth it.

Easily the surprise of the season three eps in a row!

So apparently complaining about HxH's current pacing gets me basically called an idiot and I should enjoy simpler shows such as Gintama and Kill La Kill. Thanks cwarrior.
if cwarrior can't see the latent pacing issues in the chimera ant arc then its little wonder he manages to be so obsessive over ongoing shonen anime in general

I too am with those watching Majin Bone and surprised over how enjoyable it's being so far. This might end up being the Log Horizon of this season where nobody expected it to be as good as it was.

Midonin

Love Getchu 16-21

The love triangle became a little strong here. A little too strong for my liking. There was still something else going on in the background, mostly Atari rising to become an animator for the new Ske-Love series, but it wasn't until episode 20 that the show finally knocked itself out of the love triangle drama (with help from the Child Girls again) and got back into being the off-center take at the anime industry I came to love in the first half.

I also realized that all the names of the veteran VAs in episode 12 were played by their actual counterparts, but there seems to be one who isn't. Namely, Eri Daimon. Her name sounds like it's a play on Eri Sendai, but she's actually voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi (who got a shoutout herself earlier.) And since Eri/Mitsuishi played the heroine of the previous Ske-Love, who's now being recast, I enjoyed the parallels with the current situation Sailor Moon Crystal is going through.

0TaYRCs.jpg

Though Crystal doesn't have to deal with this.

The voice actress audition was suitably wacky, and somehow transitioned into a "marooned on a desert island" episode as the show races towards the finish. I'm just glad to have the voice acting stuff back. There are plenty of idol shows, but voice actress shows are fewer and farther between. The love triangle subplot isn't enough to take away the series' goodwill, though. It also took until episode 21 before the opening got some new animation. Tight schedules. No wonder they have to record from storyboards.

Even if somebody is in the other side, it is enough of a complaint by a sizable amount of people that they can acknowledge that maybe it is an issue. Notice how almost nobody had complaints prior to the 'assault on the castle' section over pacing.

People have definitely complained about pacing problems in Greed Island and even Heaven's Arena.

But yes, the last 1/4 of the Chimera Ant arc is jarring for multiple reasons, not just pacing. The means of storytelling completely changes with the narrator essentially becoming a character. Due to the ridiculous speed of everything happening, it's impossible to let just visuals or dialouge do the explanations for the esoteric abilities, which is why the guy has such a big presence now.

I absolutely loathed it in the manga, but I think the anime is doing a pretty good job of keeping things consistent, even if the pacing has taken a hit. I can understand it being totally mixed though. Depending on how Madhouse handles it, the arc's conclusion will likely be pretty mixed, albeit for different reasons.

What I take issue with are the people who haven't started the show crossing it off their list because of these complaints. The pacing issues will be much easier to deal with once the arc is over by the time they get caught up, and it won't make everything that came before it any less amazing.

Gintama is better than HxH

I agree but the point he was making was that I 'didn't enjoy multi-layered complex stories and should stick with simplistic story for those that can't appreciate the genius'.

People have definitely complained about pacing problems in Greed Island and even Heaven's Arena.

But yes, the last 1/4 of the Chimera Ant arc is jarring for multiple reasons, not just pacing. The means of storytelling completely changes with the narrator essentially becoming a character. Due to the ridiculous speed of everything happening, it's impossible to let just visuals or dialouge do the explanations for the esoteric abilities, which is why the guy has such a big presence now.

I absolutely loathed it in the manga, but I think the anime is doing a pretty good job of keeping things consistent, even if the pacing has taken a hit. I can understand it being totally mixed though. Depending on how Madhouse handles it, the arc's conclusion will likely be pretty mixed, albeit for different reasons.

What I take issue with are the people who haven't started the show crossing it off their list because of these complaints. The pacing issues will be much easier to deal with once the arc is over by the time they get caught up, and it won't make everything that came before it any less amazing.

True, I'm complaining but it doesn't mean the other episodes haven't been great.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So apparently complaining about HxH's current pacing gets me basically called an idiot and I should enjoy simpler shows such as Gintama and Kill La Kill. Thanks cwarrior.
cwarrior has been the recipient of mod action on multiple occasions and was previously run out of here for his stupidity.

Also remember that some people are oblivious to what makes for good television in its own right. All they want is to see the events of the source material onscreen and if a show appeals well enough to their purism then they are entirely satisfied, issues like pacing be damned.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Speaking of Precure, though, I just remembered seeing this earlier as I was skimming the thread:

Who the hell is going to pay almost $500 for a secondhand copy of all of Yes PC5 on Blu-ray? I mean, sure, buying new from Amazon would run you $650 instead, but still...

Do you realize just how many boxes of crayons it took to animate that show? That's value.

Also remember that some people are oblivious to what makes for good television in its own right. All they want is to see the events of the source material onscreen and if a show appeals well enough to their purism then they are entirely satisfied, issues like pacing be damned.

There are also people defending it with absolutely no knowledge of the manga.

Your vendetta against people that like faithful adaptations is getting a bit tiresome, dude.

cwarrior has been the recipient of mod action on multiple occasions and was previously run out of here for his stupidity.

I think that was the first time I wrote an angry response in a forum in years. I don't mind disagreement and being called out, but ad hominem (or that very close to it) is another matter.

I can understand that Hunter X Hunter May have it's pacing issues but the end results are always satisfying. And you can't also forget how HxH most of the time tries to develop its characters which may cause some of the pacing issues like Mr. Octopus scene but in the end it was worth it.

The banter was good.

A few things I found interesting about this. Yoshino shows no attachment anxiety that Tohka has. Also Tohka had no reaction to the fact of the twins being alone and naked with her beloved.

Tohka is just a child in a spirit body .i'm pretty sure she doesn't even realise that she love shido yet .. It's funny because she long for affection but she doesn't even have that concept properly set.
One could argue that tohka argues with origami because of jealousy , but in fact it's not even that tohka is just worried that she would time with shido.( alone )

In short ? she is nothing but a kid. inside.

jgminto

As great as Gintama is it's nowhere as good as HxH.

HxH is a great series that uses a lot of overdone shonen tropes in interesting ways. Aside from some patches in the latest arc it's been an engaging action series. But Gintama is so much better. I've never watched a show that has been able to deliver on comedy, excitement and emotional scenes as consistently as Gintama. It even mixes the three within minutes of each other and it still works fantastically. Once the show got going it kept going for 260+ episodes. Hunter x Hunter is damn good shonen, but it doesn't reach Gintama's level of entertainment.

Link Man

Banned
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 6

Hachiman criticizing Yukino's conversation skills? That's a riot.

Hohoho, Komachi's a sly dog.

And speaking of sly dogs, Yui really needs to get a new leash (or collar) for hers.

I'm not psychic, I swear!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My favorite NFL team actually won a superbowl recently so I have a vested interest in them. But generally it is a huge event in the us and fun to follow.
Anime events for us can be just as exciting to follow. Madoka was one such occasion. So much speculation and fanart and discussion went on. Its worth following along.
Well, most anime you can watch after the fact and still be fine (whether or not you want to is a whole other discussion lol). Endless Eight is a product of its time and is of only academic value 5 years after the fact. Much like a 5 year old sportsball game.

HxH is a great series that uses a lot of overdone shonen tropes in interesting ways. Aside from some patches in the latest arc it's been an engaging action series. But Gintama is so much better. I've never watched a show that has been able to deliver on comedy, excitement and emotional scenes as consistently as Gintama. It even mixes the three within minutes of each other and it still works fantastically. Once the show got going it kept going for 260+ episodes. Hunter x Hunter is damn good shonen, but it doesn't reach Gintama's level of entertainment.

You have a good argument so I'll just say that Gintama and HxH are equally great.

Link Man

Banned

And this is one reason I prefer the second Negima anime. It just throws the manga out the window and goes crazy with the characters and setting, to great effect.

Yep.Gintama is one of the few series I know that has been able to consistently mix serious arcs with random comedy episodes and done it right. It also is one of the few series that isn't afraid to lead you on for a whole episode, or even a whole arc, with this huge emotional scene or theme. And then at the end it comes out and turns it all around and trolls the audience for humor. And it has worked every single time for me. It hits every single emotion consistently, it doesn't just stick with sadness for "the feels". It also manages to switch focus from characters and have a huge cast that is practically well loved. I can't think of a character that could be hated outside of an enemy.

The biggest respect I have for the series though, it's the zero hypocrisy and self-aware jokes against the author. Later on in the series it's not weird for the characters to make jokes based off inconsistencies with the story.

"Wait wasn't this show about aliens having invaded earth? Where the hell are they?"

or

"Why did we introduce this ultimate villain guy if he's not going to appear again?"

It's hilarious how much the author doesn't care about keeping up with shit.

I feel that with Gintama, you can't get as invested in the conflicts since 1. they're so short, and 2. rarely contribute much to the "overarching plot". Not only that, but all character development can be contradicted at the drop of a hat for the sake of a joke due to the nature of the series. It's bipolar tone works great for humor, but I really can't put it against the greats of the shounen action genre because it's a comedy first. I really don't think it or any standard shounen is comparable.

That's just me though.

Eusis

An adaptation being faithful to the source material for the sake of it is a pointless one.
It probably makes more sense for books in a way than manga anyway. Books you visualized in your head and half the fun is seeing people actually act that out. Manga to Anime is effectively just adding more frames in between and color. Not that I can't imagine there aren't cases that merit more faithful adaptions and naturally sometimes they're done better or worse, but some of the best shows/movies resulted from NOT being slavishly faithful. See: a good chunk of Urusei Yatsura, although given how episodic that was to begin with there aren't any real long term problems that could result from changing something.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Manga to Anime is effectively just adding more frames in between and color.
Far from it! The way manga and anime use time are completely different. Anime is a subset of film and accordingly is confined to chronological time as a medium, with only a limited amount of flexibility. Manga as a sequence of image panels is at full liberty to manipulate the flow of time as events unfold, particularly to emphasize heightened emotion during an instant or to dump exposition in a single panel.

A lot of the problems that arise in anime are the result of not taking such issues into consideration when adapting. Having 10 characters react works in manga but consumes minutes of time in anime.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh, speaking of OPs, I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to know that after performing the second OP for the first season and the ending theme song for the special, Eir Aoi will be back for the OP of Sword Art Online II.

https://twitter.com/sao_anime/status/457128571664744448

Between her and LiSA I think Aniplex has their artists set for their show OPs for, oh, another couple years or so until the next big star comes along.

Not sure I approve this as her KLK OP was shit.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Ep01-02

This seems pretty good so far, if a bit cheesy at times. Also, AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! Dio is such a fucking asshole.

cnet128

Banned
Madoka Movie 2

Yyyyyyep, there are the tears again. Homura's story never fails.

Feeling suitably hyped for the third movie at this point. Now I just have to figure out when the hell I'm going to find an appropriate time to watch it (I suspect probably Monday evening or Tuesday, depending on how effectively I manage to keep up with stuff over the Easter weekend. Honestly I wish I could watch it right now, but it's kind of 6 AM >.>)

Eusis

Far from it! The way manga and anime use time are completely different. Anime is a subset of film and accordingly is confined to chronological time as a medium, with only a limited amount of flexibility. Manga as a sequence of image panels is at full liberty to manipulate the flow of time as events unfold, particularly to emphasize heightened emotion during an instant or to dump exposition in a single panel.

A lot of the problems that arise in anime are the result of not taking such issues into consideration when adapting. Having 10 characters react works in manga but consumes minutes of time in anime.
That sort of reaffirms my thought there actually (that trying a straight adaption that way would be kinda dull for veterans... or worse.)

Andrew J.

That reminds me, I need to actually read Understanding Comics someday.

Gintama is the better show anyway

Gintama is better in regards to comedy and such, while HxH is better in intense action with psychological issues it tries to convey. So both have strengths and weaknesses and are great in what they do, and don't need to be compared.

Atelier Escha & Logy 02

I see they changed some of the plot mostly giving the two side characters a larger role but still enjoyable. A little cheap looking but still enjoyable, lol.

Mahouka 02

Onii-sama~
Still interesting to see what gets dropped from the LN. Mari's still the best.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 03

Another enjoyable episode. I'm really liking the dynamics of these characters.

Nanananananana 02

Yay, treasure hunting was pretty awesome. The new characters are great, the treasure hunt was pretty great, I'm really liking this now.

Jewelpet Tinkle 20-27

Woo, main character growth.

Nisekoi 14

New best girl appears.

Gintama is better in regards to comedy and such, while HxH is better in intense action with psychological issues it tries to convey. So both have strengths and weaknesses and are great in what they do, and don't need to be compared.

You can compare shows in the sense of how much more you enjoy one over the other, or the quality as a whole.

I think Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are the best dramas to hit television, more than the Wire. These shows over-all have little in common outside of the 'drama' theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom