• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Majin Bone 1

Thought I'd check this out since I heard it was surprisingly good. Not bad. The flat-shaded art style is very nice, characters seem charming. CG and robot designs are iffy, not much to say about the plot yet. Not an outstanding first episode, but enjoyable enough to keep going.

You really like werewolves.

WwLpYj5.jpg

God damn it

You can compare shows in the sense of how much more you enjoy one over the other, or the quality as a whole.

I think Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are the best dramas to hit television, more than the Wire. These shows over-all have little in common outside of the 'drama' theme.

Then I could see some people liking Gintama more than HxH if they go by the sense of enjoyment as Gintama is really funny.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can compare shows in the sense of how much more you enjoy one over the other, or the quality as a whole.

I think Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are the best dramas to hit television, more than the Wire. These shows over-all have little in common outside of the 'drama' theme.
Arbitrary TV ranking time:

The Wire > The Shield > The Sopranos > Breaking Bad

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Majin Bone 03

Such a disappointing show. Outside of the god awful CG its a really nice looking show but the story couldn't be any less interesting and the characters are about as flat as the show looks. They might as well have titled this show Majin Bones with how mediocre (at best) its been. One of the first shows I'm dropping this season, Blade and Soul had the first honor of being cut loose.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 3
Does anyone else REALLY love that joseph has such a "daddy's little girl" with holly?
OMG DAT ED so fucking perfect yet hilarious!
an finally STAR PLATINUM. and that synchronized pose, fucking awesome.
also one last thing, im not gay but why is Dio so goddamn sexy?

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 3
Does anyone else REALLY love that joseph has such a "daddy's little girl" with holly?
OMG DAT ED so fucking perfect yet hilarious!
an finally STAR PLATINUM. and that synchronized pose, fucking awesome.
also one last thing, im not gay but why is Dio so goddamn sexy?

HORRRRRYYYY
HOOOORRRRRYYYYY

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Mushishi - Series

I'd like to pose an idea to everyone about our main character here. I know this is a work of fiction but I will address it within its realm of existence. So imagine this idea; this world view:

The MC who roams the country-side is high out of his damned mind. Yes; good-natured, intelligent and does well but homie is smashed!

Majin Bone 03

Such a disappointing show. Outside of the god awful CG its a really nice looking show but the story couldn't be any less interesting and the characters are about as flat as the show looks. They might as well have titled this show Majin Bones with how mediocre (at best) its been. One of the first shows I'm dropping this season, Blade and Soul had the first honor of being cut loose.

You're like the first person here who has disliked the characters. Damn that's harsh.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why you could be disappointed? Its a kids toys selling show from TOEI, if you pleased by it its a pleasant surprise, if not, who that putting expectation to this for being remarkable?

Though the first episode and the premise was really interesting. But yeah in retrospect should have tempered.

Gazoinks

Dennou Coil 1

This was the only show on Jexhius' list I'd never heard of before, and I liked the concept so I thought I'd check it out.

Really good first episode. Established all our characters, and brought us into the world without having to dump a bunch of exposition on us. Mystery! Virtual reality! Kids! Lot of interesting things going on, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Also like the art, and the animation is very good.

Densuke is the best little buddy. Oyaji is also pretty great.

Hattori

Banned
Soul Eater 1-3(rewatch)
3 episodes in and I've fallen in love with this series once again, I really wish Bones would do a remake of this show similar to what they've done with FMA Brotherhood.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Chaika 01

Honestly the most fun I've had watching a BONES series in probably years and certainly a better first impression than the other show this season.

Reminds me a bit of Scrapped Princess and DTB S2
(loli with a giant ass fucking magic gun and a bum hobo dude with some funky ass powers and an affinity for daggers - who would also be a total raging alcoholic if he was a few years older)
wrapped into one.

dem eyebrows.

Also that unicorn got fucked. Hard.

Definitely going to check out more of this show. Cautiously optimistic.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dennou Coil was an amazing show. Shame only 16 people bought the show.

Also too bad I can't look at it the same way now these days. I see those glasses and I judge the girls like they're wearing Glass. I can't support that. Down with AR.

cajunator

Banned
Or Humanity Has Declined or even TNG's Cause and Effect.

I loved the time paradox episods of Humanity Has declined. It did a lot more with one episode than some entire series did with the subject.

So guys do kinda dislike Hitomi from Madoka Magica considering what she did to Sayaka because I thought that was a bitch move, while she knew how deeply Sayaka cared for Kyosuke.

to be fair,
Hitomi gave Sayaka an opportunity to tell him before she confessed herself

Scrapped Princess 5

This has been non-stop fantasy entertainment. The characters have been great so far. I can't stress enough how much I'm enjoying this. The two siblings are badasses.

Yeah Pacifica is a cutie but she has some very loyal and defensive siblings. With that crazy church and practically everybody else after her she needs every support she can get. This was Bones being great imo.

wonzo

Banned
Haikyuu!! 2

Easily the seconf best sports show of the season thanks to just how much energy the entire thing exhumes even when they're not even playing volleyball! Its excellent production values and consistent direction certainly stands in contrast to…

Baby Steps 2

babysteps2.jpg

… this which has far too many inconsistencies in both its production values and overall tone. It's a shame as the actual story seems pretty nice. I guess I'll just read the manga for this one.

Gazoinks

Poor Iso.

Y'all need to talk about good shows more often!

Dennou Coil 2

It's interesting how this show incorporates traditional Japanese elements into its cyberpunk setting. Stuff like programs being paper talismans, shrines apparently being somehow important, and Mega-baa praying to summon her workstation thingy. Interesting aesthetic.

Plus, some more mysteries are brought up.
Yuuko's brother? 4423? Keyhole? Mojo? Whatnow?

I'm want to ask something, do you guys dislike op protagonist like from Death Note, Code Geass, Chrome Shelled Regios, Sword Art Online, Code Breaker, and etc or does it entirely depend on the character itself for you to dislike and not hating the character due to his over powered ness?

cajunator

Banned
I'm want to ask something, do you guys dislike op protagonist like from Death Note, Code Geass, Chrome Shelled Regios, Sword Art Online, and etc or does it entirely depend on the character itself for you to dislike and not hating the character due to his over powered ness?

The only one I really hate is Kirito.

… this which has far too many inconsistencies in both its production values and overall tone. It's a shame as the actual story seems pretty nice. I guess I'll just read the manga for this one.

The manga is pretty great. It's straightforward, doesn't rely on drama, and the characters are all likable.

David Simon > Shawn Ryan > David Chase > Vince Gillgan.

I can no longer speak with you on friendly terms.
I'm want to ask something, do you guys dislike op protagonist like from Death Note, Code Geass, Chrome Shelled Regios, Sword Art Online, and etc or does it entirely depend on the character itself for you to dislike and not hating the character due to his over powered ness?
The thing is Code Geass, Shelled Regios and Death Note didn't have overpowered protags. Two of those had a very sly/intelligent protagonist, but they weren't without their flaws and could (or did) get beaten plenty of times throughout the show. They had charisma. Shelled Regios had a strong protagonist, but they never said he was the strongest. In fact
when you see some of his buddies fight later on, they seem like they're just as strong as him

Kirito on the other hand was just overpowered, and for no reason besides "I played beforehand and have a good reaction time". In what way does that make a strong character?

At least in Mahouka the OP'ness is so retarded I can actually laugh at it.

Jex

Dennou Coil 1

This was the only show on Jexhius' list I'd never heard of before, and I liked the concept so I thought I'd check it out.

Really good first episode. Established all our characters, and brought us into the world without having to dump a bunch of exposition on us. Mystery! Virtual reality! Kids! Lot of interesting things going on, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Also like the art, and the animation is very good.

The system works!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The basic question to ask is if the overpowered nature of the character render the conflicts in the story moot. Even Superman has to grapple with managing his double life, and Light Yagami and Lelouche are both portrayed as vulnerable and especially so due to their arrogance. You end up worrying how they are just as much their own enemy as the people they are in conflict with.

Kurita

Majin Bone 3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/anime/majinbone3.jpg[/IMG

Three episodes in and this show about some digital card game is far more fun than one would think it has any right to be. In between the Toei budget and the awful CG fights there's some really charming stuff there which make the bad bits totally worth it.

Easily the surprise of the season three eps in a row!

[/QUOTE]
Based Murata doing the chara design.
[quote="cnet128, post: 108687672"]Wait, wait, wait, hold the phone. [b]Majin Bone[/b] has an ending theme by [i]Radwimps[/i]?! (Well, Misoshiru's, but same difference =p)

How did I not know this. They're only like my favourite band of all time, and as far as I know they've never done an anime theme before! Now I almost feel guilty for not watching that show. Not guilty enough to actually watch it, but you know. It hurts my soul.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it's the first time they do an anime song. Actually, I don't remember one of their songs ever being used as a tie-up for a drama/anime/commercial. I assume that's why they're using a Misoshiru's song and not Radwimps one. (plus Misoshiru's is releasing a single and an album soon)

Simon is King, man.

He's great don't get me wrong, but for me Vince is king. Especially with all the choices he had to make regarding characters and last-minute changes, and consistently being able to keep the show unpredictable.

We'll see if he's consistent when he brings that detective show of his. I think he was also going to do something for HBO, can't recall.

Jex

David Simon > Shawn Ryan > David Chase > Vince Gillgan.
Truth bombs.
I'm want to ask something, do you guys dislike op protagonist like from Death Note, Code Geass, Chrome Shelled Regios, Sword Art Online, Code Breaker, and etc or does it entirely depend on the character itself for you to dislike and not hating the character due to his over powered ness?
The question isn't really about how "over powered" they are, but rather, do they have interesting characters at all? Lelouche and Light are both fleshed out and interesting characters in their own right. Kirito is a cipher who has no character to speak of.

Of course, insanely "OP" characters have the potential to be boring as well because without setbacks and limitations on a characters there isn't much room for drama or interest.

Jex

It's okay, one day you'll just realise Breaking Bad is really, really good for like a live-action comic book.

TheRancor

Dennou Coil 1

Hello fellow Dennou Coil watcher! Though I'm already up to episode 19 now. But yeah, pretty good show.

Zolf

Haven't seen Regios but the only one of those that I don't like is Kirito, since he has no meaningful weaknesses and it makes no sense in that universe why he's the only one who's capable of doing what he can.

Light doesn't really fit since
he's not a hero and his strength becomes an impediment to justice and a "good" resolution, so it never devalues the story.

Lelouch had his share of weaknesses and failures. If anything, the true overpowered character in Code Geass is Suzaku, who in most anime would be the protagonist but here that "trope" (for lack of a better word) is subverted to create a character that is hated by most of the audience for characteristics that in different circumstances would be seen as virtuous.

I need to start some new series, Log Horizon and Witch Craft Works are all I had been watching for a while.
What do you like? Hard to recommend when we don't know what you want.

It's okay, one day you'll just realise Breaking Bad is really, really good for like a live-action comic book.
Watchmen remains one of my favorite literary works. So does Sandman. And Y The Last Man. So I guess I wouldn't see this as a downgrade.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So harsh. lol

Watchmen remains one of my favorite literary works. So does Sandman. And Y The Last Man. So I guess I wouldn't see this as a downgrade.
I feel like the whoring of Watchmen has kind of ruined it in my eyes. I don't even want to know what the spinoff books are about.

I feel like the whoring of Watchmen has kind of ruined it in my eyes. I don't even want to know what the spinoff books are about.

I don't judge a masterpiece because the license owner wanted to whore out the franchise thanks to new readers. Alan Moore didn't write them and disapproves of them. That's like saying V for Vendetta was ruined because of 4chan. Which admittedly it kinda did, but reading it again made me realize it's just as good as before.

cajunator

Banned
If it helps the second episode is what gave me hope for the show. It takes away the NEETnessof the male lead and made Chaika less annoying. But still annoying. As to the sister, seeing how far I am with Scrapped Princess, I have faith that the guy won't make them into LN incest seeing how great the siblings are in Scrapped Princess.

I didnt get bad vibes from Chaika at all. I know anime just cant help itself sometimes but this show isnt presenting the possibility of going off the deep end. It still could but being from the Scrapped Princess guy gives me confidence.

Saw this over at the Fandom Post forums. Original post here.

What is going on at FUNimation? I mean someone should have noticed putting a DVD case in a Blu-ray slipcase just does not work, right?

That is terrible packaging. I hate when they put blurays in dvd cases. Ruins the uniformity of the collection.

I'm more upset about "Heaven's Lost Property" being an anime classic.

but its totally a harem classic. One of the best!

I don't think I understand any of y'all's motives for posting about shows you clearly think are bad or subpar but without a clear anti-recommendation tone.

of course its to make us want to watch! A new List gem was just discovered this way.

selector infected WIXOSS - 01
Alright start , but somehow i don't think this anime will be as happy as it should have been normally.

Main character is alright , the other one kinda decent ..

Overall the first episode was just decent and i haven't seen much intresting..i hope this will change ... WHAT ARE THE RULES OF THIS DAMN GAME ?

Even if its not happy, mahou shoujo really cant surprise when it goes dark anymore. Madoka pretty much tapped those depths.

wonzo

Banned
There's plenty of well written "overpowered" characters out there. See everything ONE writes for starters.

opmo93.jpg

I don't judge a masterpiece because the license owner wanted to whore out the franchise thanks to new readers. Alan Moore didn't write them and disapproves of them. That's like saying V for Vendetta was ruined because of 4chan. Which admittedly it kinda did, but reading it again made me realize it's just as good as before.
But V for Vendetta wasn't a very good comic to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom