• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

Pretty much everything.

Kill la Kill is the only new show on my list at the moment.
Only thing else on my list atm are rewatches of Steins;Gate, Amagami and Ghost Hunt.
JoJo got added to Crunchyroll if you didn't import blu-rays or otherwise beforehand, and even if you did Stardust Crusaders started.

Pooya

sidonia 2

tentacle monsters check
tentacle? skin suits check
more changing room antics check
meh action check
NTR check

terrible, dropped like a rock.

Story looks like it's attack on titan in space, could be cool I guess but doesn't look terribly interesting. All the comedy scenes look creepy instead of funny, like when he's punched in the face and drops with ragdoll physics and bloody nose, yikes.

jgminto

I'm want to ask something, do you guys dislike op protagonist like from Death Note, Code Geass, Chrome Shelled Regios, Sword Art Online, Code Breaker, and etc or does it entirely depend on the character itself for you to dislike and not hating the character due to his over powered ness?

Well you're not supposed to like Light, he's a total dickbag.

wonzo

Banned
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka 2
gochuumonusagi2.jpg
gochuumonusagi2a.jpg

RICKS BREAD eat your heart out!

It's funny that we are talking about Death Note and overpowered characters. First, lets address the question and say that I don't think Light is an overly powerful character. He's clever and is very smart. This is what gets his character out of many of the situations he's in but he can be overly reactive and that's a major flaw of his character.

Second, is that I've actually been trying to get a friend of mine to break out of just watching DBZ, Bleach and Naruto "shonen" stuff he usually watches. I have been watching with him Death Note and at first he wasn't enjoying it. Which I will admit made me sad at first. However, we are now at episode 17 and he is super invested with the characters and the show, always wanting to see the next episode. He now admits that he might have been judging too many shows by their cover and will give more chances to anime.

Although he refuses to join AnimeGAF and I don't think I will be able to convince him of that anytime soon. ;P

Branduil

Light is kind of dumb. He only wins so often because of the death note and the massive information advantage he starts with regarding it.

I mean he just immediately kills accused criminals in the same way every time, making it obvious something suspicious is happening. And
"L's" appearance on TV
was the most obvious trap ever and he still fell for it.

Light is kind of dumb. He only wins so often because of the death note and the massive information advantage he starts with regarding it.

I mean he just immediately kills accused criminals in the same way every time, making it obvious something suspicious is happening. And
"L's" appearance on TV
was the most obvious trap ever and he still fell for it.

He certainly has his dumb moments and is reactionary which is a great flaw for his character and is what gets him into trouble most of the time.

But at the same time he comes up with great plans and is hella clever
even when L and the task force find out about the notebook
. He kills criminals like that because that's his MO. He wants the world to know of his presence and have "evil" people fear him so that way people clean up their acts. That's the whole reason he does that in the first place.

It's funny that we are talking about Death Note and overpowered characters. First, lets address the question and say that I don't think Light is an overly powerful character. He's clever and is very smart. This is what gets his character out of many of the situations he's in but he can be overly reactive and that's a major flaw of his character.

I enjoyed Death Note up until he killed the
FBI dude's wife
At that instant I knew I was going to despise the entire series.

Branduil

He certainly has his dumb moments and is reactionary which is a great flaw for his character and is what gets him into trouble most of the time.

But at the same time he comes up with great plans and is hella clever
even when L and the task force find out about the notebook
. He kills criminals like that because that's his MO. He wants the world to know of his presence and have "evil" people fear him so that way people clean up their acts. That's the whole reason he does that in the first place.

Sure, but that's why he's kind of dumb. A real mastermind could manipulate the world without them even realizing what's happening. If they ever did reveal themselves, it would already be too late. The Death Note should basically be a "win button" if you use it right.

fertygo

I like OP character like Jotaro even I know many other people doesn't like it that much, Lead Dog trope like this is very charming to me on its own right. Being strong and charismatic is very natural desire, and I'll not lie Dominant presence like that is pretty cool for me and inspiring as lame that sound, many people said Underdog character is more exciting, and that's true.. their journey feel more satisfying, but the more dominant presence is usually the one that I more admire as character, that's guilty pleasure of mine lol.

OP character but the author somehow want to pretend us they're underdog like Mahouka pull is frigging lame though, I don't buy that shit..its a big BS to see have many monologue being so weak, its the very definition of no balls. Gundam SEED also pull this shit with Kira Yamato.

If you want make an OP Character, at least make them have confidence to their abilities.. untouchable presence, destroying insect like no one else business.. that's boring? yeah, being dominant is boring, like sport superstars that can destroying low-tier team on his own. You're special. There's nothing that more annoying than talented person that have low-esteem and have disbelief on their own selves fuck that. If you're that good, crush those lowly insect with ease, full of confidence and thinking no one else is better, make the average joe admire you while the other saying you're boring because being too good.

Eusis

FBI dude's wife
At that instant I knew I was going to hate the entire series.
I was disappointed that was
just a way to cheaply write her out rather than be at least a Chekhov's Gun to blow up in his face or at least give him trouble later.

FBI dude's wife
At that instant I knew I was going to hate the entire series.

That's actually where I realized that Light was more sadistic then the show let on and actually where I started really paying attention to how L and Light progressed as characters.

Sure, but that's why he's kind of dumb. A real mastermind could manipulate the world without them even realizing what's happening. If they ever did reveal themselves, it would already be too late. The Death Note should basically be a "win button" if you use it right.

It's that God complex
that done him in
. He would've been honestly a boring character if he didn't have some flaw just like how L had some flaws. A character needs to have flaws to feel more like a fleshed out, fully realized character and not some 2 dimensional character.

And to the bolded part, that's the exact reason why Light lost in the end. If you think of it as a chess game
L sacrificed himself to win the game and lure Light into a false sense of security
. Light was
too hasty and had he played it smart/patient he might have won out in the end

fertygo

just a way to cheaply write her out rather than be at least a Chekhov's Gun to blow up in his face or at least give him trouble later.

Your option gonna lead to investigation that leave trouble for Light lol

But it did give him trouble. It was the main reason why
he was suspected by L and Near up until Light died
. Because she
"disappeared" L focused on people Ray Penbar was investigating which lead to Light which made him the main suspect the rest of the show

Eusis

But it did give him trouble. It was the main reason why
he was suspected by L and Near up until Light died
. Because she
"disappeared" L focused on people Ray Penbar was investigating which lead to Light which made him the main suspect the rest of the show
I guess for some reason
I expected her corpse being found to be a big deal, but she really was that good at hiding it and you two are right that it ends up drawing attention anyway.

sonicmj1

In both Death Note and Code Geass, the protagonists are powerful, but they have flaws (for both, it tends to be their pride/arrogance and their desire to be recognized for their feats) that can be exploited by their enemies. And they're also fighting on a level playing field with their antagonists. In Death Note, L was an antagonist who could match Light's greatest strength. In Code Geass, Lelouch has a foil in Suzaku, and enemies like Schneizel who equal his tactical planning. The tension between these evenly-matched sides brings out themes of rule-of-law vs. pragmatism, ends vs. means, and so forth. These powerful forces all stand for their own ideals.

Kirito stands so far above everyone around him that he can't actually lose or be in danger. He's a bland hero who protects his friends from evil people and plays video games. There's nothing particularly interesting about watching someone win fights against people they can't possibly lose to, so the story has to bring some other sort of meaningful conflict to the table, something that requires the protagonist to develop and overcome it. Kirito never has to develop to win, because he's already at the top.

Finalow

Oh yeah, I forgot to complain about one thing of Mushishi 3. So much to comment the snow, and forgot this important thing

How the hell did he not drown in the lake. I'm supposing that the mushi which infected him had by pure luck a side effect of making him without need of breathing, but you know, it's never commented by anyone in the episode and it was too much of a coincidence. And hell, if Ginko said the truth and the cold was affecting him even if he didn't feel it, he should be dead just because pure hypothermia. Not missing a few fingers, but dead dead dead, instead.
yup, that part wasn't really well written or explained. I agree that he should have been dead after that night.

it's the same in the manga, he just says "I was saved somehow", but Ginko doesn't mention anything about that, which is strange as he usually finds an explanation.

other than that, I enjoyed the episode. the worst of the 3 so far though.

Narag

Kirito stands so far above everyone around him that he can't actually lose or be in danger. He's a bland hero who protects his friends from evil people and plays video games. There's nothing particularly interesting about watching someone win fights against people they can't possibly lose to, so the story has to bring some other sort of meaningful conflict to the table, something that requires the protagonist to develop and overcome it. Kirito never has to develop to win, because he's already at the top.

Wish the first arc of SAO had left him doing Batman stuff with the viewer inferring stuff about his character through the eyes of whomever was that episode's pov character. Instead we get glopped on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't judge a masterpiece because the license owner wanted to whore out the franchise thanks to new readers. Alan Moore didn't write them and disapproves of them. That's like saying V for Vendetta was ruined because of 4chan. Which admittedly it kinda did, but reading it again made me realize it's just as good as before.

JJ ruined Trek for me. I honestly believe my life was better before I watched Into Darkness.

cajunator

Banned
Chaika 2 Eyebrow 2 Furious

Yeah this was a big improvement. It's fairly typical adventure fantasy, but it's executed well. Solid protag who shows resourcefulness in battle, solid supporting cast, good fight choreography, plot that's cliche but still fairly interesting. All around a good offering, and definitely a big step above the last episode. I hope Akari gets a fight soon. Warhammers are underrepresented in combat.

Chaika.
Yes Chaika.
...Chaika.

chaika indeed. Dammit those eyebrows. Shes also quite capable of defending herself though obviously she is a long range attacker.

Nanana's Buried Treasure - 02

There is conflict within my heart. HanaKana trying to mindfuck me this season it seems.

Im ok with one brown girl not being a girl. Im really not sure why anime does this to begin with though if theres no plot point to it. Unless its a VN thing.

I like that they actually tried visually with the ED, but the song is a big step down from roundabout.

Nothing can top Roundabout though. Its was the perfect ED song and added some class to the ending.

Bunny Cafe 2

Being called a potential rapist isn't something to be happy about

Miyuki (Cocoa) has no idea what's in store for her. But in the meantime, we get a new girl named Reika (Chiya). Difference with this Reika
She wants Miyuki... hard

Wait now youre using precurian names for everything. I thinks you need an intervention.

Why do some people think that Kurumi is the best girl from Date A Live is because of her straightforward personality, though I'll admit her voice is really awesome for some reason.

because of her design, personality, and elegance.

Coming from someone who's never read or watched Date A Live, Kurumi is the best girl.

Youve got a great sense.

fertygo

There's nothing particularly interesting about watching someone win fights against people they can't possibly lose t[/B]o, so the story has to bring some other sort of meaningful conflict to the table, something that requires the protagonist to develop and overcome it. Kirito never has to develop to win, because he's already at the top.

I'm gonna playing devil advocate here and saying that's wrong, there just something that interesting average goers in watching dominating force that destroying lower tier that we know not gonna win, its the spectacle of talent that we can't help but admire. Think sport match where top talent like Messi and Lebron destroying lower peers with ease, its usually have some highlight to admire.

First two episode of Ping Pong also crossed in my mind to make some point.

In first episode the anime showed us two match, where Peco playing against random trainee that obviously inferior to him, he showed many flashy move that attractive to watch. Its one reason to watch loop sided match, the another match is Peco vs China that showing different kind of domination. China playing with such intensity to showing his superiority and gap of abilities, its that kind of match where sport superstar making spectacle in otherwise irrelevant game but still impress many because the sheer of dominance. sure the good and even match is better but that beside the point.

And eps 2 of Ping Pong also show us the boring side of talented person with no intensity and confidence, and then he snap and dominating the game, showing his full capabilities, taking over the fun. I think I should articulate this better but oh well.

I think such like Kirito and Tatsuya is like writing character like Smile with the story that not showing that as something bad.. they keep winning with showing their special capabilities, the plot point referring them as special but in the same time the author somehow want to lead us to believe they're underdog with the challenge that felt so arbitrary with in the end is they always pass it relatively with ease making all the internal conflict that they had felt so artificial.

Jintor

Kirito doesn't demonstrate talent though because the mechanics of SAO aren't well explained so it's hard for the audience to perceive any talent if it's occuring. Well, they're also game mechanics too, so it removes some of the tension (it's unclear if you still need to be a skilled person to use combat arts or if it's just like MMO pressing hotkeys on a bar or something...)

Log Horizon tries to correct for this by establishing early on that combat arts are more or less the same as actually fighting, and then also by making Shiroe heavily tactics-based and impressive in that field. Whether it succeeds or not is kinda debatable (since it often gets bogged down in its own explanations) but at least it's better than Kirito just... godmoding through everything.

I agree with your basic premise though, that seeing absolute domination can still be entertaining and interesting even if there aren't any real stakes (or believably real stakes).

mAcOdIn

I think an OP character is fine so long as the show knows what is is. If it has a boring, overpowered character and it wants to just show awesome scenes of carnage over and over, awesome, but if it's got scenes without wanton destruction interspersed throughout, well, the character better not suck, like Kirito or the rest of his cast.

Basketball was brought up, and sure, maybe watching Lebron dominate is awesome but, the average basketball game does not devote half it's time to showing Lebron eating lunch, having awkward conversations with people or other stupid crap, it's just the basketball game.

Jintor

I know there's a tonne of anime that deal with vampires in the traditional sense as the focus, but are there many that deal with werewolves?

Just watching An American Werewolf in London and pondering the question.

sidonia 2

tentacle monsters check
tentacle? skin suits check
more changing room antics check
meh action check
NTR check

terrible, dropped like a rock.

Story looks like it's attack on titan in space, could be cool I guess but doesn't look terribly interesting. All the comedy scenes look creepy instead of funny, like when he's punched in the face and drops with ragdoll physics and bloody nose, yikes.
Should be AoT looks like Sidonia

It's kinda funny since Isayama has mentioned that Tsutomu Nihei is a big influence on his work.

And even funnier is when Nihei tweeted that his daughter wanted him to draw something interesting like "Attack on Titan" lol

I can imagine her saying "dad stop drawing this shit and look at good mangas like AoT"
(I dropped the Sidonia manga...)

BluWacky

I know there's a tonne of anime that deal with vampires in the traditional sense as the focus, but are there many that deal with werewolves?

Just watching An American Werewolf in London and pondering the question.

Werewolves tend to be "one off" villains rather than focal points of series - I'm thinking characters like The Captain in Hellsing Ultimate, for instance. I'm not sure why vampires have been adopted by the Japanese and werewolves haven't - I guess vampires have a romantic/erotic appeal that werewolves don't, and Japanese mythology has its own shape shifters and monsters.

Apparently in Tezuka's Phoenix there's a story arc about someone who has their head replaced with a wolf's!

Quasar

He was saved from death at least once by others.

Of course, he's a protagonist so of course he's not in real danger. This isn't Game of Thrones. Of course even there its fairly clear which characters have plot protection.

Jintor

Wolves tend more towards Wolf's Rain and naturalism I guess than the normal struggling-with-one's-inhumanity motif, I think?

Mind you it's not like you get too many vampiric struggle-with-the-beast things either, off the top of my head. Most vampires tend towards the fuck-awesome than the nosferatou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom