• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haikyuu!! Episode 3
tumblr_n4bpuhiL0j1qzk4cro6_500.png
tumblr_n4bpuhiL0j1qzk4cro5_500.png

Tsooki caught me off guard on crunchyroll, but I guess it is what it is. Anyway Tsukishima and Yamaguchi's entrance to the plot was excellently done. Tsukishima proved how awesome he is then and there and how expressive he can be. I love how he can get both Kageyama and Hinata so flustered and able to resist and even tease Kageyama much, I cant wait for so many more moments and his smile and eyes. Also does make me hope for s2 for his other parts on the other games.

Final part with the accidental far court hit and the the toss for Hinata was amazing, it made me feel all happy and good to see Kageyama acknowledge him after these two episodes and Hinata display growth too.

Soredemo Sekai wa utsukushi - 02

Rain doesn't work that way.

But that was still a pretty good

This show is slowly becoming one of my favorites.

The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior Episode 3

Kind of starting to lose its appeal in someways and just drag around, at this point it and Captain Earth are down with La Corda d'Oro - Blue Sky as my bottom three for the season that I didnt drop.

Mahouka 3
Becoming okay for what it is. Still has stupid prejudice and the very overpowered but stonefaced protagonist and the excessive terminology is tad annoying especially when its randomly used to explain why the protag won. Still decent action and cute girls

Soredemo Sekai wa utsukushi - 03
The chemistry between the sun king and the rain princess is magnificent.

Soredemo%20Sekai%20wa%20Utsukushii%20-%2003.jpg

she is falling ...( in love )

Ok now that this is done, it's time for the political and military intrigue.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gundam Build Fighters 3-25 END

This was about as good of an execution on the shounen proxy fight as I've seen. Dispenses with all the bullshit and fit everything neatly into a single tournament arc that kept things moving along at a steady clip, balancing both action and tension. Well, almost neatly anyway. I honestly felt the show got a bit messy towards the end as things got a bit too expedient, and having fucking Hamdo be in the show detracted a lot from my enjoyment. However, in the grand scheme of things these are hardly fatal and didn't me make suffer anywhere near as much as other shounen shows have. Truth be told, I actually love shounen stuff, but pacing issues in them are like grinding in a JRPG to me, despite how much I've liked those too. That's why I'm especially fond of titles that allow me to enjoy the stuff I want without the pain I'm usually asked to endure, and this show was a great ride as a result.

You know, though...

...and I thought Precure was fucking shameless about peddling plastic shit!

duckroll

Gundam Build Fighters 3-25 END

This was about as good of an execution on the shounen proxy fight as I've seen. Dispenses with all the bullshit and fit everything neatly into a single tournament arc that kept things moving along at a steady clip, balancing both action and tension. Well, almost neatly anyway. I honestly felt the show got a bit messy towards the end as things got a bit too expedient, and having fucking Hamdo be in the show detracted a lot from my enjoyment. However, in the grand scheme of things these are hardly fatal and didn't me make suffer anywhere near as much as other shounen shows have. Truth be told, I actually love shounen stuff, but pacing issues in them are like grinding in a JRPG to me, despite how much I've liked those too. That's why I'm especially fond of titles that allow me to enjoy the stuff I want without the pain I'm usually asked to endure, and this show was a great ride as a result.

You know, though...

...and I thought Precure was fucking shameless about peddling plastic shit!

You know what you have to do. Time to buy the HG Beargguy-III! :D

survivor

Banned
Haikyuu 3
f7ig4JY.png

these reaction faces are still pretty funny
While I am still enjoying the really good production values, the nice animations during the training montage, and the show is doing a good job in making the main duo pretty likeable, I'm slowly losing interest in the actual story. The shounen sport writing is becoming more annoying and I'm hoping it's maybe a one off thing. Also I really don't like this excessive use of flashbacks, you already established how Kageyama sees Hinata earlier in the episode, I don't need to be constantly reminded about it.

Jarmel

Banned
Mahouka 3-

This is so self masturbatory. Holy fuck.

Like why isn't he taking private lessons? It's apparent that he shouldn't be in with Rank 2 students nor Rank 1 students. It's an absolute waste of his time and abilities when he's clearly above everybody.

damn thats quite the break in purchases! What is it you love so much about Ben-To?

I only buy DVD's for anime I've 100% enjoyed, and Ben-To did that for me. Action, comedy, and with a bit of school-life thrown in. The perfect mix for me. The action in it is really good, and it made me laugh on several occasions. If a show can make me laugh a lot, I'm sold.

I don't like to shit on other people's tastes, but this is disgusting.

You should watch episode 185 of Gintama. I think you'd very much enjoy it.

iCTY4SWanQfVJ.jpg

Mahouka 3-

This is so self masturbatory. Holy fuck.

Like why isn't he taking private lessons? It's apparent that he shouldn't be in with Rank 2 students nor Rank 1 students. It's an absolute waste of his time and abilities when he's clearly above everybody.

Course 2 students don't get private classes , because there aren't enough teachers available ( in the whole country ).

As evidenced here :
The entrance exam is flawed because it doesn't take into account all the variables.
There are also a lot more reasons for this that will be revealed later but THIS IS the main reason why this guy , as strong as he is , is a course 2 student..
The why is he a course 2 student is a plot point that will be treated later.

Baby Steps 3:
Takuma is such a jerk. Poor Ei-chan, just getting pushed around by that guy. He's making some progress as a tennis player, but he's also still a beginner who doesn't know a whole lot. I like the way they're approaching a newbie learning how to play the game. Maybe soon he can be good enough to hold his own against grade schoolers. The romance stuff seems fairly simplistic right now. I'm not sure where any of that is going to go.

Jarmel

Banned
Course 2 students don't get private classes , because there aren't enough teachers available ( in the whole country ).

As evidenced here :

The entrance exam is flawed because it doesn't take into account all the variables.
There are also a lot more reasons for this that will be revealed later but THIS IS the main reason why this guy , as strong as he is , is a course 2 student..
The why is he a course 2 student is a plot point that will be treated later.

Still though, it's pretty apparent that the test didn't judge him accurately. So it seems like some of the teachers would get involved and try to figure out what to do with him. It's the same BS with Touma in Index being a Rank Zero. This stuff is like technicalities when it's clear in practice that they're not in the right group.

Aquarion EVOL - 13

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......;_;

Like, the romance between Jin and Yunoha was adorable. Ten times more interesting than Amata and Mikono! Yeah he became an ass when the whole "liar revealed" trope came into play but then they have him redeem himself and they kill him off right then and there? UGGGH. I liked seeing those two together >_<.

Dub ends here, time to switch to sub cause I'm too into this show to drop it now. Now I gotta here Andy's Japanese VA. Doubt it will be good as his English one because his English one is amazing.

Still though, it's pretty apparent that the test didn't judge him accurately. So it seems like some of the teachers would get involved and try to figure out what to do with him. It's the same BS with Touma in Index being a Rank Zero. This stuff is like technicalities when it's clear in practice that they're not in the right group.

This is a accurate comparaison : It's just that touma in index is such a broken power that it can't be mesured by normal methods.. in mahouka tatsuya power can be mesured but isn't taken intop consideration BECAUSE of external factors.

If i take index exemple , why doesn't touma get a special treatment after his achievements ( beating accelerator for example ) or many other things ? The same underlying concept is at play here .
From a normal point of view it's BS but that also allow a writter to make the character recognition ( by others ) evolve over time , clearly like that guy he just defeated. It's a working concept that is used in plenty of stories.

Haikyuu 3

While I am still enjoying the really good production values, the nice animations during the training montage, and the show is doing a good job in making the main duo pretty likeable, I'm slowly losing interest in the actual story. The shounen sport writing is becoming more annoying and I'm hoping it's maybe a one off thing. Also I really don't like this excessive use of flashbacks, you already established how Kageyama sees Hinata earlier in the episode, I don't need to be constantly reminded about it.

This reflects a lot of my thoughts. It's really production values that make Haikyuu stand out, the writing itself is bog standard sports anime/manga. Not that the writing is necessarily bad, it's just utterly unremarkable.

Jarmel

Banned
Mekakucity Actor -2

So like what the fuck is this about? I thought there was supposed to be some sort of story in this.

It feels like Shaft just being Shaft for the fuck of it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The World is Still Beautiful Episode 3:

I guess the big problem I have with this show is I just don't find the main romance all that compelling, mainly because I still don't like King LaDouce. Another series that can be safely placed in the drop bin. Hmmm, I may have enough space now to watch this Mushishi thing everybody around here keeps clamoring about.

I guess the big problem I have with this show is I just don't find the main romance all that compelling, mainly because I still don't like King LaDouce. Another series that can be safely placed in the drop bin. Hmmm, I may have enough space now to watch this Mushishi thing everybody around here keeps clamoring about.

This show really suffers from a lack of compelling side-characters. Good shoujo romances usually have interesting side characters to carry some of the load and keep things fresh, here all they have is the really boring and simplistic political stuff.

Grzi

Haikyuu - 03

As many others have already noted, this really doesn't try to set itself apart from other sports shounen shows, but the execution really is amazing. Plus, I enjoy the characters and their interactions, I'm kind of already getting attached to them, and that's what these shows should do, so I'm quite happy with it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This show really suffers from a lack of compelling side-characters. Good shoujo romances usually have interesting side characters to carry some of the load and keep things fresh, here all they have is the really boring and simplistic political stuff.

Indeed, also this place so needed more settings, like having Princess Swoosh explore the capital city. Give me some actual world building beyond flowers in a garden. The show had an energy and verve that has faded.

duckroll

Question is Season One of MushiShi needed to watch season two?

Nope. The entire series is basically episodic tales which are completely self contained, just showing the different places Ginko visits and the types of Mushi there are in the world. The episodes tend to reintroduce the general concepts when needed too, so basically anyone can start anywhere they want in season 1, season 2, or even the recent special.

Defuser

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii ep3

You know It's a tender rain would be a great song if it wasn't for the 'It's a tender rain' in English. I do say the seyuu is quite a excellent singer.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

Well your assumption is that teachers are all idealistic. I would say glossing over students with hidden talents is emblematic of teachers in large school. They will follow the book of education written to prioritize the visibility of standard talents over hidden ones because its just easier to do.

Jarmel

Banned
Well your assumption is that teachers are all idealistic. I would say glossing over students with hidden talents is emblematic of teachers in large school. They will follow the book of education written to prioritize the visibility of standard talents over hidden ones because its just easier to do.

Well when you're at an elite school and apparently you're way above everybody else, you'll stand out. This would be like a high school student doing mid to high level graduate work in math while having issues with English. Teachers would notice.

But the king is the best!

mAcOdIn

This is a accurate comparaison : It's just that touma in index is such a broken power that it can't be mesured by normal methods.. in mahouka tatsuya power can be mesured but isn't taken intop consideration BECAUSE of external factors.

If i take index exemple , why doesn't touma get a special treatment after his achievements ( beating accelerator for example ) or many other things ? The same underlying concept is at play here .
From a normal point of view it's BS but that also allow a writter to make the character recognition ( by others ) evolve over time , clearly like that guy he just defeated. It's a working concept that is used in plenty of stories.
I don't know of that's fair. In Index everyone regards him as higher than a level 0 except the school(and even then just to his face), and while I think it's fair to say he doesn't get special treatment from the school, like in the form of devising some test to just test him or some crap, seemingly everyone and their dog in the city with power knows of him, regard him as more than a level 0 and even the head dude includes him in his plans which is more than any other level 0 and probably 1s, 2s and 3s can say. Considering how shady the whole city is , and since I haven't read any further than where season 2 left off, I'm inclined to say it's even all by design, in other words I would say that everyone knows he's not really a level 0 and that any refusal to change their testing methods is not out of stubbornness, spite, segregation, elitism or anything of the sort but rather a purposeful act to leave him in a certain place. Oh and also probably because the author really just wants there to be some type of underdog status, no matter how far fetched for his OP main character.

sonicmj1

Well when you're at an elite school and apparently you're way above everybody else, you'll stand out. This would be like a high school student doing mid to high level graduate work in math while having issues with English. Teachers would notice.

Sure, they'll notice. What'll they do then, put him in a special class? How do you fit that into the schedule? Where do you find the teachers?

I mean, you'd hope an elite school would be able to do that, but I've had to teach Japanese middle-school English to a kid who had spent almost his entire elementary school life living in the USA, so who knows. That's not a good use of anyone's time (except the kids sitting near him that he can help out), but the system isn't built to accommodate exceptional students, so there was nothing the other teachers could do for him. I don't think it's even possible to skip grades in Japan.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

I think that's the direction the story is going in at least but it's not unrealistic to believe he was overlooked because of his standard test results up to this point because that's the only information one has to vouch for them when entering into school.

Jarmel

Banned
Sure, they'll notice. What'll they do then, put him in a special class? How do you fit that into the schedule? Where do you find the teachers?

I mean, you'd hope an elite school would be able to do that, but I've had to teach Japanese middle-school English to a kid who had spent almost his entire elementary school life living in the USA, so who knows. That's not a good use of anyone's time (except the kids sitting near him that he can help out), but the system isn't built to accommodate exceptional students, so there was nothing the other teachers could do for him. I don't think it's even possible to skip grades in Japan.

It depends on the school doesn't it. An elite school though full of (essentially) prep kids would seemingly find the budget somewhere. A big part of schools like that, at least in the USA, are that they're designed to handle kids who excel.

I think that's the direction the story is going in at least but it's not unrealistic to believe he was overlooked because of his standard test results up to this point because that's the only information one has to vouch for them when entering into school.

We'll see where it goes narrative wise.

BluWacky

He's been to one lesson that appeared to have absolutely no teacher at all, and he was crap at what he was being asked to do. I don't think anyone's had the chance to notice beyond his peers - they've only been there a couple of days anyway, I assume days like the club-joining thing in episode 3 happen very early in the term.

It's not that I disagree with you, but in a totally far-fetched series this is one of the least far-fetched things about it at present.

Jarmel

Banned
He's been to one lesson that appeared to have absolutely no teacher at all, and he was crap at what he was being asked to do. I don't think anyone's had the chance to notice beyond his peers - they've only been there a couple of days anyway, I assume days like the club-joining thing in episode 3 happen very early in the term.

It's not that I disagree with you, but in a totally far-fetched series this is one of the least far-fetched things about it at present.

I'm complaining because I doubt they're going to go that route in the story.

Ok Time to write my impressions for this season

Still watching
-Hunter x Hunter
-Hapiness charge precure
-Nisekoi

Those are good series.
Hooked and watching

-Date a Live
-Hitsugi no chaika
-Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
-Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
-Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka
-No Game No Life
-Pushimas !
-Soul eater NOT!
-Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
-Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san

Keeping for future viewing
-Nobunaga the Fool ( still keeping more episodes :))
-Seikoku no Dragonar
-One week friends
-MAJIN Bone
-Kamigami no Asobi
-Haikyuu
-Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun
-Fairy tail
-Daimidaler
-Captain earth
-Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
-Sidonia no kishi

Disapointed but will leave a few more episodes to decide
-Akuma no Riddle
-Selector Infected WIXOSS
-Mahou shojo taisen
-Hero bank
-Blade and soul
-Black Bullet

Dropped with the force of thousand suns

-Yu-gi-oh Arc V
-Brynhildr in the Darkness

Well they did show someone in the classroom but they cut away from her so soon that Im still questioning why they did that. I think its a first of its kind situation so the schools response could easily be understood.

Oh well one could hope for an s2.

Defuser

Amazeballs ep 3
Girls that can't survive without those pills eh? I always knew Dresden was a pimp.
Basileus777 said:
NbXZXI2.jpg

This show is a riot. Hahaha.
Such a tense/serious situation yet the guy still got time to look at Neko's boobs armpits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom