• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

I wonder which manga author would be the most comparable to George RR Martin's writing pace. I'd like to say the Berserk guy, but there are other hiatus mangas.

Berserk and Hunter X Hunter are the "famous" examples of manga that go on constant hiatuses.

On the shoujo side, Yami no Matsuei, much like Berserk, went on hiatus because the author was having more fun playing dating games than drawing her manga. She went on hiatus for eight years before picking up again and, although she's definitely still writing it as there's a new chapter out this month, there's been no new volumes since 2011. I can't imagine anyone still reads it, but it was a very popular manga back in the day!

On topic - Yami also has a 13 episode anime, which I watched in an entire evening at university and remember very little about except it wasn't bad for an early 00s BL show.

Berserk and Hunter X Hunter are the "famous" examples of manga that go on constant hiatuses.

On the shoujo side, Yami no Matsuei, much like Berserk, went on hiatus because the author was having more fun playing dating games than drawing her manga. She went on hiatus for eight years before picking up again and, although she's definitely still writing it as there's a new chapter out this month, there's been no new volumes since 2011. I can't imagine anyone still reads it, but it was a very popular manga back in the day!

Wow that sounds like what people were gossiping about what Miura was doing, but actually happening

One Week Friends 3
Some memory retained. SUCCESS. This episode wasn't quite as good as the previous episodes but it did have some moments.
I have a feeling Shogo might be causing some NTR soon.

That's what I wonder. Like what does Iso do a for a living nowadays? Does he work at a supermarket to pay the bills?

Well, Togashi (HxH author, hiatus posterboy) is married to the Sailor Moon author. So that probably helps.
And HxH sells well regardless, with both YYH and HxH being in WSJ's top ten best sellers of all time.
shonenjumptop10.gif

BluWacky

Do these authors just make enough they can take some time off or what?

Togashi is an excellent example. Yu Yu Hakusho has reportedly sold 49 million copies in Japan across 19 volumes (and presumably various kanzenban/wide-ban releases?). It had a successful, long running anime series, was highly merchandisable, and has been translated and released all over the world. And that's just one of his successful series, given that Hunter X Hunter must be doing similar business (55 million copies sold as of 2011?????). Plus, he's married to Naoko Takeuchi, who presumably never needs to do anything ever again after writing Sailor Moon. To be fair to Togashi he has also suffered recurring health problems and has a family, so I suspect he just doesn't feel the need to work that hard if he doesn't have to and he keeps making money both for himself and Shueisha.

Miura is probably successful on a smaller scale, but Berserk has sold 33.5 million volumes internationally as at last year and he's been writing it for nearly 25 years, with various spin-off merchandise to match.

Even with royalty payments probably being fairly small on manga volumes given their cost, I have no problem believing that some of these mangaka are absolutely raking it in through royalties on their IP.

cajunator

Banned
It's apparently very good. It's written by the same man who wrote Madoka Magica, so you might like it.

But other than that, when will you be starting TTGL?

Fate Zero as a story lent itself more naturally to Butch Gen's talents than Madoka Magica I feel like.
It wasnt dark for the sake of it but as the product of the type of show it is.

Whoa, really? Run towards it immediately.

Fate Zero is really good.

It's excellent, just be warned that the first episode is essentially an exposition dump. The show gets much more interesting afterwards.

I see. A lot of positivity on this one. I thought people were saying it wasn't as good as Fate Stay/Night or is it the other way around?

Added to backlog.

It's apparently very good. It's written by the same man who wrote Madoka Magica, so you might like it.

But other than that, when will you be starting TTGL?

Soon. I promise.

The Irregular at Magic High School 1-3

This show is awesome! And it has a lot of depth too.Lots of mysteries about the main character. Want to see more battles. I suppose this is the biggest show of the season?

cajunator

Banned
I see. A lot of positivity on this one. I thought people were saying it wasn't as good as Fate Stay/Night or is it the other way around?

Added to backlog.

Soon. I promise.

I have a bit of nostalgic appreciation for FSN and I definitely dont hate it like much of animegaf but honestly Fate Zero is on a completely different level.

cnet128

Banned
Love Live! S2 3

A-RISE are definitely worthy rivals - their performance was clearly more accomplished than anything μ's have ever done (thanks for that effort, animators), and they're total professionals with confidence to spare - but none of them can hope to match the μ's girls in cuteness or personality, and they're outnumbered by a factor of three to one, so...I guess that evens out the odds.

Not that μ's are going to actually beat them, let alone in these regional qualifiers, but hey, they don't have to. With three more spots available, I can't see them failing to get through. Barring some kind of horrible incident like last season, of course...

If you read the light novels it's filled with lots of details about the world, politics, and magic as being scientific, it's not like some LN where they don't explain things. I've read part of the first volume and it's filled with a bunch of information not even kidding.

Other way around. F/SN is supposedly (I haven't seen it) horrible.

Ah. I guess I'll check Zero out in a few days.

I have a bit of nostalgic appreciation for FSN and I definitely dont hate it like much of animegaf but honestly Fate Zero is on a completely different level.

Ahahaha. I get what your saying. ;)

On that note did anyone else watch Gai Rei Zero? What an F'd up anime that was. The ending you saw coming but constantly wanted it not to happen. Shame the show stopped right before the manga started and didn't keep going.

Blusby

Fate/Stay Night's DEEN Adaption is terribad and I have to admit that the writing in Zero is superior to the source material's rather mediocre Fate and Heavens Feel routes, however the Unlimited Blade Works route is gold (though it also suffered from being ravaged by DEEN) and Type-Moon's best work besides DDD.

So Fate/Zero is on Netflix. Is it any good or should I run far, far away?

Best Type Moon property, Best Fate series anything, and best Ufotable show. Definitely give it a watch, especially considering that Ufotable is making their own version of Fate Stay Night so it'd be nice to watch this since it's the prequel.

Soon. I promise.
It's better and more. FSN LN is good but the order is FZ>FSN LN>>>>>FSN anime. Once FSN Ufotable is out we'll figure out where it goes on the ranking. But probably after FZ and better than the LN, I trust Ufotable.

So yes it's definitely worth watching. First episode is 40 minutes of info dump you must give your undivided attention to, but you have the luck of being part of AnimeGAF, so any questions on the lore or how the holy grail war works you can ask here and we'll answer.

This is one of my top 5 anime of all time. Kanye West would have it as well..

Woofington's "real pic January" pic?

wwuvaIK.gif

e_i

Got the Nekomonogatari Black Tsubasa Family LE set today. Paid $56 for four episodes in a GOD DAMNED FLIMSY BOX. Come on, Aniplex, couldn't make a rigid box for a blu-ray case? It's been done before.

wsippel

Banned
So, at first I was a bit pissed that TNK does an ecchi show produced by the same staff responsible for High School DxD that isn't High School DxD, but Daimidaler is actually pretty damn awesome. In a "so bad it's great" kinda way - except it's doing it on purpose. And it totally works. My favorite show this season so far (next to or maybe even slightly ahead of JoJo), and quite possibly the best worst mecha anime of all time.

So, at first I was a bit pissed that TNK does an ecchi show produced by the same staff responsible for High School DxD that isn't High School DxD, but Daimidaler is actually pretty damn awesome. In a "so bad it's great" kinda way - except it's doing it on purpose. And it totally works. My favorite show this season so far (next to or maybe even slightly ahead of JoJo), and quite possibly the best worst mecha anime of all time.

That robot though

Shengar

If you read the light novels it's filled with lots of details about the world, politics, and magic as being scientific, it's not like some LN where they don't explain things. I've read part of the first volume and it's filled with a bunch of information not even kidding.

Putting a lot of explanation via exposition paragraph=/=lot of depth
It's more like the author obsessed with building a fantasy world of his rather than telling a story, a problem that frankly commonly found among contemporary fantasy authors,

Blusby

Oh wow, apparently Sidonia has surpassed Mahouka in BD preorders, hopefully the sales are good enough that we get a BLAME! adaption.

Jintor

Even if there's info in the light novels, if it's not in the anime then it's more or less irrelevant to my mind... any facet of a universe should be able to stand on its own, at least in terms of making the viewer either understand or not give a shit about the world.

Putting a lot of explanation via exposition paragraph=/=lot of depth
It's more like the author obsessed with building a fantasy world of his rather than telling a story, a problem that frankly commonly found among contemporary fantasy authors,

*looks at wiki of fake fantasy universe that is currently being worked on*

*disappears into the night*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom