• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

"The Gaming-Age Forums began as an adjunct to Gaming-Age, a video game news and reviews website, running the UBB forum software and hosted on the Gaming Age servers. As Gaming-Age outgrew its hosting, IGN took over hosting of Gaming-Age's forums. After IGN ceased hosting of GAF in the summer of 2001, GAF moved to ezboards, and the administration of GAF became more estranged from Gaming Age."

"Yes, onii-sama."

I look at Kanananananana-chan as I finish my dinner. It's almost time. I continue. "As the Gaming-Age staff became gradually more divorced from the day-to-day operation of GAF, problems with the new Gamesquad hosting cropped up. As software bugs in vBulletin 2, the version GAF was using at the time, continued to worsen, the Gamesquad hosting became increasingly more impractical, until the forums' database became corrupted, forcing a move to new hosting in order to change software and salvage what was left of the forums' database. In the spring of 2004, a fundraiser was held to move GAF to new hosting. On June 6, 2004, GAF took its current form (known as "NeoGAF" to long-time posters) and moved to new hosting and new software, vBulletin"

"I see, onii-sama."

"As of April 4, 2006, the forums were relaunched as "NeoGAF", the former in-moniker, by its administrators. NeoGAF also features its own front page, an upfront admission that the forum's audience had drifted from that of its birthing news site, but yet mandated a single portal to represent the forum's members. Initial plans are to use the front page to highlight the individual accomplishments and biographies of GAF's publicly industry-relevant members, as well as to offer a more visible home to any extraordinary information that would otherwise have to be housed in an ordinary thread of conversation. More details can be gleaned (if sparsely) from this official thread declaring the changeover. In December 2007, the forums held a fundraiser, and ended up raising $5,600 for Get Well Gamers, a California-based charity with the goal of entertaining sick children."

"Onii-sama, you know so much!"

Engage Planet: Kiss Dum - Episodes 1-3

I noticed this little gem talked about recently and decided to give it shot.

The first impression you get when you pop this on is the title of the show. What does it even mean? What even is a 'Kiss Dum'? In the three episodes I've watched I have still have this question unanswered (I doubt it'll ever get answered). Not that it really matters as this show's production quality might be the poorest I've seen for a long time.

The story makes very little sense half the time. I'm not sure whether the Book of the Dead is a book or a sword
that got stabbed into Shu's chest
, or if some of these people have even died or not as they seem to just reappear when they feel like it.

The music in Episode 3 was composed by someone who was seemingly playing around with the Nokia 3410's ringtone maker. It was a constant beeping sound with this annoying reccuring loop of 5 or 6 notes. The alarm noises in Episode 1 were also pretty grating as well.

The animation however is by far and away the worst thing about it. Why was there random photographs onscreen for that length of time in Episode 3? I was beginning to wonder if Kiss Dum had become a radio anime with how long some of them were going on for. Although even if their mouths moved at all, the dialogue didn't match the mouth flaps most of the time which was very jarring to see.

I can't believe that stuff like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Dennou Coil were airing at the same time as this, it's unbelieveable. Also I'm beginning to wonder how this managed to last 26 episodes in the state that it's currently in after 3 episodes.
It maybe because it's already getting a recap episode for Episode 4. Gundam SEED eat your heart out!

cajunator

Banned
Puchimas s2 19

Look at how adorable Chiichan is ... and progressively getting a really wide face

becoming wideface is every characters dream.

Ah. I guess I'll check Zero out in a few days.

Ahahaha. I get what your saying. ;)

On that note did anyone else watch Gai Rei Zero? What an F'd up anime that was. The ending you saw coming but constantly wanted it not to happen. Shame the show stopped right before the manga started and didn't keep going.

ive seen Ga Rei Zero. Its kind of depressing really. The details are hazy. I didnt find it too memorable.

Got the Nekomonogatari Black Tsubasa Family LE set today. Paid $56 for four episodes in a GOD DAMNED FLIMSY BOX. Come on, Aniplex, couldn't make a rigid box for a blu-ray case? It's been done before.

Aniplex has made some solid artboxes but this sounds more along the lines of the Madoka Magica box packaging.

M3 Episode 1 Starry Night
Blx6xmKIEAEVBaD.png

Excellent start. Was worried when people were saying it was bad and all but I guess they must have watched a different M3. Love the varied cast and all (though the one girl is pretty annoying which it seems the entire cast agrees with too), but beyond her Akashi and Iwato had good debuts perfectly welcoming us into the world.

I think it may deliver on being the most drama filled anime this season especially due to the underlying issue with the nature of the enemies. Good start.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"The Gaming-Age Forums began as an adjunct to Gaming-Age, a video game news and reviews website, running the UBB forum software and hosted on the Gaming Age servers. As Gaming-Age outgrew its hosting, IGN took over hosting of Gaming-Age's forums. After IGN ceased hosting of GAF in the summer of 2001, GAF moved to ezboards, and the administration of GAF became more estranged from Gaming Age."

"Yes, onii-sama."

I look at Kanananananana-chan as I finish my dinner. It's almost time. I continue. "As the Gaming-Age staff became gradually more divorced from the day-to-day operation of GAF, problems with the new Gamesquad hosting cropped up. As software bugs in vBulletin 2, the version GAF was using at the time, continued to worsen, the Gamesquad hosting became increasingly more impractical, until the forums' database became corrupted, forcing a move to new hosting in order to change software and salvage what was left of the forums' database. In the spring of 2004, a fundraiser was held to move GAF to new hosting. On June 6, 2004, GAF took its current form (known as "NeoGAF" to long-time posters) and moved to new hosting and new software, vBulletin"

"I see, onii-sama."

"As of April 4, 2006, the forums were relaunched as "NeoGAF", the former in-moniker, by its administrators. NeoGAF also features its own front page, an upfront admission that the forum's audience had drifted from that of its birthing news site, but yet mandated a single portal to represent the forum's members. Initial plans are to use the front page to highlight the individual accomplishments and biographies of GAF's publicly industry-relevant members, as well as to offer a more visible home to any extraordinary information that would otherwise have to be housed in an ordinary thread of conversation. More details can be gleaned (if sparsely) from this official thread declaring the changeover. In December 2007, the forums held a fundraiser, and ended up raising $5,600 for Get Well Gamers, a California-based charity with the goal of entertaining sick children."

Tell me, Onii-sama, why is East EU in the West and West EU in the East?

cajunator

Banned
Engage Planet: Kiss Dum - Episodes 1-3

I noticed this little gem talked about recently and decided to give it shot.

The first impression you get when you pop this on is the title of the show. What does it even mean? What even is a 'Kiss Dum'? In the three episodes I've watched I have still have this question unanswered (I doubt it'll ever get answered). Not that it really matters as this show's production quality might be the poorest I've seen for a long time.

The story makes very little sense half the time. I'm not sure whether the Book of the Dead is a book or a sword
that got stabbed into Shu's chest
, or if some of these people have even died or not as they seem to just reappear when they feel like it.

The music in Episode 3 was composed by someone who was seemingly playing around with the Nokia 3410's ringtone maker. It was a constant beeping sound with this annoying reccuring loop of 5 or 6 notes. The alarm noises in Episode 1 were also pretty grating as well.

The animation however is by far and away the worst thing about it. Why was there random photographs onscreen for that length of time in Episode 3? I was beginning to wonder if Kiss Dum had become a radio anime with how long some of them were going on for. Although even if their mouths moved at all, the dialogue didn't match the mouth flaps most of the time which was very jarring to see.

I can't believe that stuff like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Dennou Coil were airing at the same time as this, it's unbelieveable. Also I'm beginning to wonder how this managed to last 26 episodes in the state that it's currently in after 3 episodes.
It maybe because it's already getting a recap episode for Episode 4. Gundam SEED eat your heart out!

This show is so amazing. Its horrible in every possible way and you cant stop watching it.

Branduil

"Yes, onii-sama."

"I see, onii-sama."

ib1IIcCyHHetWI.jpg

I've heard dub is decent at best. Unlike other shows where dub could be just as good if not better for other people, such as FMA, Black Lagoon, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, this show needs the subs since Saber's voice since the LN's has been in japanese and I think it's the same VA. Plus Rider's voice is amazing. Also with the FSN retelling coming out in japanese, you kinda have to watch it sub so the change isn't so dense. First episode might be a good idea if you don't wanna have to read the info dump but you would rather listen to it.

Personally I don't absorb info as much unless I read it, so I need subs

cnet128

Banned
Gokukoku no Brynhildr 3

This is actually getting pretty good now, can't wait for the next episode after the way this one ended. It's nice how fast things seem to be progressing, in the space of one episode we've both found out the reason why these girls think their lives are inevitably limited and hit upon a potential solution (well, a temporary one anyway). Also solved the mystery of Kuroha/Kuroneko,
and, you know, had one of the lead characters killed off. Not sure if that death is going to stick, though it seemed pretty damn fatal >.>

I'm interested by this whole
third switch
business as well, it's a pretty tantalising mystery.
Since the magic-users were warned so heavily against ever pressing them, one suspects that they might actually have some kind of beneficial effect - perhaps even freeing the girls from their need for the medicine entirely, maybe at the cost of their abilities? But since they could also quite easily be just as bad as they sound, the problem is how anyone's going to find out what they really do.

One turn of events that I could see working well is if the MC ends up pressing the third switch of this enemy girl they're facing - either intentionally as an attempt at revenge for killing Kuroneko, or accidentally while trying to press one of her other switches. If its effects really are beneficial, the results could even be enough to convince their enemy to switch sides. But we'll see.

Sub or dub for Fate/Zero? I actually prefer dubs if they aren't horrible.

The dub has all the usual suspects common to videogame and anime, didnt think it was terrible. The long deep monologues characters gave felt a bit more natural when they did it in english, imo.

Also in the engDub Ryuunosuke sounds vastly superior to his JPN counterpart, JYB made him even more lively.

e_i

Aniplex has made some solid artboxes but this sounds more along the lines of the Madoka Magica box packaging.

Aniplex has made a bunch of boxes with varying quality. The Nekomonogatari box is the worst, with the Madoka boxes a tad better, and then KnK box. The rest of the releases are rigid.

I'm gonna be honest before I ask this. I have had no love for anime for over 10 years now. I used to love it, but now I honestly cannot stand it. There are various reasons, but those reasons aren't why I'm here. I saw a gif, and immediately liked the look of the animation and character designs. There's only so much a gif can tell so...

gcc.gif

Is Ergo Proxy as good as this gif makes it look? Or is it one of those animes where all the good looking style and substance is rare and relegated to a very small amount of scenes from a few episodes? If it's a good and meaty anime with a minimum of fan service junk, I wanna watch it.

I'm gonna be honest before I ask this. I have had no love for anime for over 10 years now. I used to love it, but now I honestly cannot stand it. There are various reasons, but those reasons aren't why I'm here. I saw a gif, and immediately liked the look of the animation and character designs. There's only so much a gif can tell so...

gcc.gif

Is Ergo Proxy as good as this gif makes it look? Or is it one of those animes where all the good looking style and substance is rare and relegated to a very small amount of scenes from a few episodes? If it's a good and meaty anime with a minimum of fan service junk, I wanna watch it.

raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être raison d'être
Yeah it's alright

Branduil

Not really but it is a decent cure for insomnia I guess.

Gazoinks

gcc.gif

Eeeh. I liked the first half of EP and found the second half incredibly boring. Ended up dropping it, although I still feel vaguely guilty about it. :p

We were just talking about Fate/Zero. Have you watched that? There's plenty of good stuff there if you actually take the time to research, just like any media.

Kansoku

gcc.gif

I love it. It has it's flaws (especially plot wise), but it's pretty nice.

[im]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img707/5807/gcc.gif[/img]

I personally do like Ergo Proxy. Really good first half. But be warned, it turns a bit abstract and weird in the second half. Still definitely worth a watch. If you want a sci-fi show though there's always Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop, if you haven't seen those. Even Psycho-Pass is a bit more consistent, I recommend that as well. Though I'd watch it before Ghost in the Shell since GitS basically is a better Psycho-Pass. Those shows are more consistent in writing quality.

If you want another recommendation that is excellent, mature and interesting for those who don't watch too much anime give Fate Zero a watch. Considering we were just discussing it.

BluWacky

It's not as good as those GIFs, but nor is it a show where style and/or substance are relegated to a few episodes and it has a minimum of fan service.

Essentially, it's an anime that spends more time dwelling on its themes than actually being exciting. The first few episodes seem to be taking it in the direction of a fairly exciting sci-fi thriller with some philosophical undertones; it then veers off into a more experimental section (which does have my favourite episode of the series in but also a fair few weird ones, including a homage to Disney and an episode set almost entirely in an imaginary game show...) before trying to return to the sci-fi thriller at the end but not really doing that great a job of it.

I don't think it's as terrible as some people do, but it's not brilliant by any means.

Jarmel

Banned

gcc.gif

Are you a philosophy major?

It's not as good as those GIFs, but nor is it a show where style and/or substance are relegated to a few episodes and it has a minimum of fan service.

Essentially, it's an anime that spends more time dwelling on its themes than actually being exciting. The first few episodes seem to be taking it in the direction of a fairly exciting sci-fi thriller with some philosophical undertones; it then veers off into a more experimental section (which does have my favourite episode of the series in but also a fair few weird ones, including a homage to Disney and an episode set almost entirely in an imaginary game show...) before trying to return to the sci-fi thriller at the end but not really doing that great a job of it.

I don't think it's as terrible as some people do, but it's not brilliant by any means.

I was confused as shit with the gameshow episode, but I was still thoroughly entertained. Either ways guy who was asking, if it matters to you the show is ranked like within the first 300 animes in MyAnimeList's top anime list. Not to say that's an immediate indicator of quality, but you can at least know it's decently liked by anime fans. I don't recall fan service but there's a loli that gets introduced if that counts.

I personally do like Ergo Proxy. Really good first half. But be warned, it turns a bit abstract and weird in the second half. Still definitely worth a watch. If you want a sci-fi show though there's always Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop, if you haven't seen those. Even Psycho-Pass is a bit more consistent, I recommend that as well. Though I'd watch it before Ghost in the Shell since GitS basically is a better Psycho-Pass. Those shows are more consistent in writing quality.

If you want another recommendation that is excellent, mature and interesting for those who don't watch too much anime give Fate Zero a watch. Considering we were just discussing it.

I've gone through GITSAC and 2nd gig at least three times over the years, and Cowboy Bebop twice. Those are two of the few exceptions of anime that I enjoy.

Many thanks for all the prompt replies to my questions. It looks like I'll have to give Ergo Proxy a look see.

I've gone through GITSAC and 2nd gig at least three times over the years, and Cowboy Bebop twice. Those are two of the few exceptions of anime that I enjoy.

Many thanks for all the prompt replies to my questions. It looks like I'll have to give Ergo Proxy a look see.

If you enjoyed those shows, then definitely watch Psycho-Pass after Ergo Proxy. AnimeGAF opinion aside it's actually a really well loved show with good production behind it and an interesting premise. It's no Ghost in the Shell but definitely worth a watch if you're looking for more good sci-fi. And then if you want more sci-fi, there's always Yamato 2199 though that's not detective/dystopian but more Battlestar Galactica/Star Trek.

M3: Episode 1

My fucking god what a bland grim dark setting, bland character designs, bland character personalities and bland fucking mech designs. Also the lead girl for this episode needs to seriously shut up everytime she opened her mouth I wanted to mute the episode. It's like SamFlam's Mari 2.0, even looks the same.

Three episode rule and all, but terribly terribly bad first episode. I'll fucking take 'Lolis save the world' grimdark anime over this so far.

cnet128

Banned
Isshuukan Friends 3

Perhaps the weakest episode of this show yet...which is to say, still head and shoulders above every other show this season.

Shougo is a pretty cool guy to have as a (not)friend. Very Kyon/Oreki-like in how he's constantly cynical and always complaining, but knows how to do the right thing like a total boss when it counts.

Mature

Urusei Yatsura - 1
Ah-hahaha. What a great opening episode. I especially liked Ataru's friends incidentally hailing a space taxi and racking up a fare that costs roughly the same as all of Earth's oil. Absurd, visually exciting, and a lot of fun.

I have a feeling I'm going to be watching the OP/ED a lot.

jgminto

gcc.gif

Why does she look like the chick from Evanescence?

Engage Planet: Kiss Dum - Episodes 4-5

Episode 4 is useless for two reasons.

- It provides nothing new over Episodes 1-3
- You should watch Episodes 1-3 as it allows you to get the most out of this trainwreck.

Episode 5 was more of the same except most of the characters from before have disappeared (apart from the swimsuit girl, she's too random to die) and the CG is about to get even worse now that he's got a powerup. The mecha have pretty much gone as well, although that wasn't too big of a loss since they looked horrible (Also NES, Dolphin? Nintendo to join the aeronautic industry confirmed?).

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 24

Goddamn, in case you didn't already know that Ginji was awesome...Also, Washu's entrance this episode was great.

Anyway Sammy is in hell (Juraihelm) now. But Pixy Misa's coming to save the day in a hijacked NASA spaceship. Aw yeah. But it is cool to see how Misao has accepted that she and Pixy Misa are indeed one in the same. It already hinted at this, but now it really shows.

I like how well-prepared Ayeka is for everything. It's how people get shit done. Gotta leave some aside for a rainy day. Doubt she's gonna see Pixy Misa coming though.

Fate/Zero 1
Thoughts during episode:

- Okay. 47 minutes. Wow.
- Child born. Eight more years. Father is upset for some reason.
- Hey now you can't smile if you don't know what it is to cry.
- Three years earlier. He has a different name? He gets a servant...
- This is a lot to take in but I think I am getting the gist of what is going on.
- There is a lot of exposition going on here.
- Lost his wife. Wait....
- This is a very pretty show. It's actually kind of distracting while I am trying to read what's going on.
- Lol. I thought she was dead but she is just apart of another clan. So dramatic.
- That's just sick. That poor girl.
- Waver huh? I like this kid. Dude has a point.
- Never mind. This kid is dumb. Bad move man.
- Never mind on that different name part. I was confused there. This is starting to make more sense.
- Aww. He can't be that bad. He's sweet to his wife and everything.
- I love this back and forth between these two. They are trying to figure each other out.
- Man he looks like hell. His father is cruel.
- Kid you are out of your league with this fight.
- This guy is very practical.
- I like Rin. But why did her sister get moved to another clan. Starting to get lost with all these different families and how they are connected. There is just so much going on and so many characters in play.
- Sakura's vacant eyes saddens me.
- Time to summon the heroes!
- Awwww yes!
- Guessing the ED to this episode is actually the OP for the rest of the show.

Summary:
Okay. That was a lot to digest. The only question I really have is why Sakura was sent to the Matoi family when she was already apart of a clan of mages to begin with? Shouldn't her clan protect her? I don't really understand why she was sent to another family.

Other then that the ending itself was pretty epic. It needed to end on that otherwise it would've been a boring first episode. It was a really long episode but I am glad I got through it. Now I feel the story is really going to kick into high gear now. Also this was a very pretty show to watch. I look forward to the rest of it.

I watched this subbed. Man was I really irked that I spent more time reading and trying to understand what's going on then appreciating how beautiful everything was. :/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Urusei Yatsura - 1
Ah-hahaha. What a great opening episode. I especially liked Ataru's friends incidentally hailing a space taxi and racking up a fare that costs roughly the same as all of Earth's oil. Absurd, visually exciting, and a lot of fun.

I have a feeling I'm going to be watching the OP/ED a lot.

Just be warned that the quality of the average episode declines considerably from here until the transition away from A/B-part format at the end of the first season. It's all still necessary to watch because it introduces most of the supporting cast and establishes the dynamics between them, but there are a lot of episodes with dull execution, substandard humor, and no resolution. And don't fret when the show introduces
Rei; after a couple of episodes his presence in the show diminishes almost entirely

Glad to see someone else beginning this, though! You'll be rewarded if you make it through the initial batch of episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom