• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallagin

He's honest he just withholds some particular details

hon·est adjective ˈä-nəst

: good and truthful : not lying, stealing, or cheating

: showing or suggesting a good and truthful character

: not hiding the truth about someone or something : not meant to deceive someone

Dresden

He pretty much won't choose his sister as he doesn't even see her as a women, dude didn't even blush when she was in her bra.

HliHLFs.png

Hunter x Hunter Episode 126 – Zero x And x Rose.

One of the occasions where the weakness in Togashi's storytelling really come to light. Unfortunately by being confined and trapped by the expectations of general storytelling for the genre prevents anything truly grande from taking place leaving me with a rather unsatisfied impression from the episode. It would have been more interesting and pleasing if a different scenario played out. Hopefully the next episode or one after that gets us back on track.
Mainly the fact that Netero ended up losing after spending these numerous weeks moving and fighting just made it quite a disappointment. I imagine most imagined that he would lose and tragically he did. It would have been better if his one final laser attack had dealt damage or a true hi-ougi rendered instead of a low budget bomb. At least that would have enabled some lasting damage on the king instead of him escaping unharmed by moving back in time.

Battle choreography was really strange as well as the random scene to a laser beam fight in space made this feel more like a substandard mecha than an adventure series so I wonder if an alternative could have been pursued, it didnt make sense in context and out of context and took us out of the experience.

Branduil

Does the main character even have any feelings? Does he have any desires, goals, dreams, etc., or is he merely an empty cipher, a pre-programmed "protagonist bot" that acts unthinkingly according to lines written in Tropes++ and serves as an animate vessel for the congealed fantasies of thousands of socially impoverished readers?

cajunator

Banned
Black Bullet 3

Enju is such an angel. Fuck those other kids.

Looks like shit is about to go down next episode.

Enju is the little cutie girl yes?

Any word on whether these new Sentai releases will have any features? Everything they've released since Dusk Maiden has been barebones.

Sensei is best.

Sentai used their whole budget on Dusk Maiden and Croisee.

Man Kyubey is manipulative as hell.

Dont ask dont tell!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does the main character even have any feelings? Does he have any desires, goals, dreams, etc., or is he merely an empty cipher, a pre-programmed "protagonist bot" that acts unthinkingly according to lines written in Tropes++ and serves as an animate vessel for the congealed fantasies of thousands of socially impoverished readers?
To be fair, you can say the exact same thing about Marvel/DC bros.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just hope "dub" isn't the only special feature they do now. I want premium anime releases and I am willing to pay for them. But not the half-assed efforts that Aniplex is churning out (no subbed Monogatari or Madoka commentaries? What are you even doing??).

Well I'm sure there are at least a few readers who wish their parents were dead and that they inherited billions of dollars from them.
He gets to bang cat woman. He's doing fine.

Dusk Maiden was definitely the first unofficial premium release from Sentai as far I as am concerned. Got the extended part of episode 12, the unaired 13th episode special, subbed commentary from Yuuko's Japanese seiyuu for all 13 episodes, and 2 soundtrack CDs. Sure the CDs only have the piano version of Choir Jail, but that's better than having nothing I guess.

Wish the manga was licensed too. Really liked Maybe's art. Probably will have to import the volumes so from Amazon Japan.

Branduil

To be slightly serious for one post, the difference between the main character of Mahouka and Batman(let's just go with Nolan's Batman right now considering how many different writers have had their own take on him), besides the incest thing, is that Batman doesn't always achieve 100% flawless victory. Batman loses things that are important to him. Batman has to make sacrifices. Sometimes Batman even makes bad decisions. Even though there's the whole "prep time" joke, Batman isn't perfect. And even though he is a billionaire heir, and thus has access to all sorts of ludicrous technology he otherwise wouldn't, he still has to work hard physically and mentally to become "Batman." His victories are earned.

These traits by themselves don't mean you've written a good main character, rather, they are the bare minimum for someone to actually qualify as a character and not a Gary Stu/Mary Sue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be slightly serious for one post, the difference between the main character of Mahouka and Batman(let's just go with Nolan's Batman right now considering how many different writers have had their own take on him), besides the incest thing, is that Batman doesn't always achieve 100% flawless victory. Batman loses things that are important to him. Batman has to make sacrifices. Sometimes Batman even makes bad decisions. Even though there's the whole "prep time" joke, Batman isn't perfect. And even though he is a billionaire heir, and thus has access to all sorts of ludicrous technology he otherwise wouldn't, he still has to work hard physically and mentally to become "Batman." His victories are earned.

These traits by themselves don't mean you've written a good main character, rather, they are the bare minimum for someone to actually qualify as a character and not a Gary Stu/Mary Sue.

Oh sure, but I mean, with something like Spider-man, there is a bit of chosen one wishfulfillment. I mean, western nerds aren't ALL that different from Japanese nerds, and there's a reason why almost every WRPG and ERPG have started adding waifus to their games.

cajunator

Banned
I just hope "dub" isn't the only special feature they do now. I want premium anime releases and I am willing to pay for them. But not the half-assed efforts that Aniplex is churning out (no subbed Monogatari or Madoka commentaries? What are you even doing??).

He gets to bang cat woman. He's doing fine.

I think it has to do with licensing rules and Japans really anal retentive way of giving out materials to licensors. Sentai probably negotiated as much as they could. Aniplex probably the same. Those companies can be extremely stubborn and demanding.

Where did all this batman stuff originate from concerning anime?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it has to do with licensing rules and Japans really anal retentive way of giving out materials to licensors. Sentai probably negotiated as much as they could. Aniplex probably the same. Those companies can be extremely stubborn and demanding.
Aniplex owns their own shows though! They put out Rebellion WITH the commentary on the disc, they're just too cheap to subtitle it.

I just wonder if Sentai isn't seeing any real value add for special features. That fans will buy what they buy regardless of what's on the discs, so why bother with extras.

cajunator

Banned
Aniplex owns their own shows though! They put out Rebellion WITH the commentary on the disc, they're just too cheap to subtitle it.

I just wonder if Sentai isn't seeing any real value add for special features. That fans will buy what they buy regardless of what's on the discs, so why bother with extras.

It is far more difficult to justify Aniplex.

Branduil

Oh sure, but I mean, with something like Spider-man, there is a bit of chosen one wishfulfillment. I mean, western nerds aren't ALL that different from Japanese nerds, and there's a reason why almost every WRPG and ERPG have started adding waifus to their games.

All fiction could be interpreted as wish fulfillment of some kind, even if it's just the wish to view things from a different time and place. It's a matter of degrees and how much the author's wish-fulfillment panders to the desire for a fantasy life without any believable negative consequences whatsoever. I mean, you mentioned Spiderman, and that has the thematic line of "with great power comes great responsibility." So yeah, even though it panders with the idea of being a superhero, there's at least some attempt to show that it's not all awesome, all the time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is far more difficult to justify Aniplex.
Indeed!

All fiction could be interpreted as wish fulfillment of some kind, even if it's just the wish to view things from a different time and place. It's a matter of degrees and how much the author's wish-fulfillment panders to the desire for a fantasy life without any believable negative consequences whatsoever. I mean, you mentioned Spiderman, and that has the thematic line of "with great power comes great responsibility." So yeah, even though it panders with the idea of being a superhero, there's at least some attempt to show that it's not all awesome, all the time.
Well, with Marvel/DC you have the other problem with the fact that the characters have plot armor. So by necessity, you have to do bad things to them like have Doc Ock take over Peter Parker's body and NTR him and various other wacky hijinks. That's not to say that they aren't aspirational though. I agree that these characters are more interesting than Kirito or Mahouka guy, but if SAO went on for 50 years, I bet they'd find some ways to invent mythologies that retcon their shitty origins.

Branduil

Indeed!

Well, with Marvel/DC you have the other problem with the fact that the characters have plot armor. So by necessity, you have to do bad things to them like have Doc Ock take over Peter Parker's body and NTR him and various other wacky hijinks. That's not to say that they aren't aspirational though. I agree that these characters are more interesting than Kirito or Mahouka guy, but if SAO went on for 50 years, I bet they'd find some ways to invent mythologies that retcon their shitty origins.

Oh don't get me wrong I have a ton of problems with superhero comics, especially as far as their tortured and mutilated concept of continuity goes. It's almost impossible by definition to have satisfying character arcs with characters that exist in a state of publisher-enforced stasis until the end of time. But if you take the characters out of that context and put them into something more short-form, like movies or non-canon alternate universe comics, they at least resemble legitimate characters.

I understand where your getting at but if you read most comic books about Batman he is definitely a Gary Stu, like he's intellectually smart no a freakin genius who can figure out every situation and uses the information he collects to create gadgets to take down villains. The dude keeps a secret file of all superheroes and their weaknesses which shows how op he is for a regular human, screw that he's a super human who has many advantages and asspulls, but that doesn't mean I don't like him in fact Batman is my favorite DC superhero. And both MC have a lot in common than what you believe.
But let's just say that most media has wish fulfillment whether you deny that or not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh don't get me wrong I have a ton of problems with superhero comics, especially as far as their tortured and mutilated concept of continuity goes. It's almost impossible by definition to have satisfying character arcs with characters that exist in a state of publisher-enforced stasis until the end of time. But if you take the characters out of that context and put them into something more short-form, like movies or non-canon alternate universe comics, they at least resemble legitimate characters.
The thing with superheroes is that I find it hard to separate their origins with all the backstory that's been added since. We've come a long way from Adam West Batman to Christian Bale Batman, even though they're both technically the same character.

That said, the only real shounen protag that I can think of with any real depth is Gintoki, but even he boils down to fairly simple tropes. Tragic past + emotionally aloof + extremely caring/has an honor code + inherent badass. Basically the same thing as Batman. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom