• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Batman leads a pretty miserable existence and some people revile him. That's only a self-insert fantasy if you enjoy being misunderstood, abused, and never getting a real sense of accomplishment.

10007398_622502681171662_8132926372481072195_n.jpg

I mean look at him he doesn't even blush, just doesn't care for her like a lover but more a sister.

NIce try , you can bother , but they have seen incest , so it's incest , even when there is none.

i'm actually surprised that "no game no life" isn't labelled the same since it has way more bro-sis stuff than mahouka ever will

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Soul Eater NOT! - 03

This show is SO GOOD.

I was hoping we would get to see
Jacqueline since Kim is present. The fact that they wrote Jacky to be a straight laced goody two shoes and Kim to be this badass rebel makes their eventual pairing so awesome to ship. FUCK YOU OX! YOU DON'T EXIST, LEAVE MY KIM ALONE!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Batman leads a pretty miserable existence and some people revile him. That's only a self-insert fantasy if you enjoy being misunderstood, abused, and never getting a real sense of accomplishment.
You just described the Emo/Goth identity. Which, hey, is why Batman is always so gothic.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc V Episode 3
Bl3kVpBCQAA01ud.png

Megane for best duelist wow. If only we got his name and
he actually dueled instead of just controlling sawatari
. Its doing everything right so far and even not wasting time on one plot point
making pendulum summon excklusive to Yuuya for only now. With others able to do it, the different types of strategies employed should go well

Im really interested in knowing more about the solid vision system as being able to link the entire field, generate environments for everyone to run in and jump through, raise towers and buildings from out of nowhere and even have characters rise on it is a technological miracle that is mindblowing.

Also the entermate cards need to come out today, such a varied set.

Crocodile

Oh don't get me wrong I have a ton of problems with superhero comics, especially as far as their tortured and mutilated concept of continuity goes. It's almost impossible by definition to have satisfying character arcs with characters that exist in a state of publisher-enforced stasis until the end of time. But if you take the characters out of that context and put them into something more short-form, like movies or non-canon alternate universe comics, they at least resemble legitimate characters.

This post does a pretty good job of expressing why I can't be bothered to read most American super hero comics but I'm a big fan of a lot of the Marvel and DC (especially the later) animated universes.

I understand where your getting at but if you read most comic books about Batman he is definitely a Gary Stu, like he's intellectually smart no a freakin genius who can figure out every situation and uses the information he collects to create gadgets to take down villains. The dude keeps a secret file of all superheroes and their weaknesses which shows how op he is for a regular human, screw that he's a super human who has many advantages and asspulls, but that doesn't mean I don't like him in fact Batman is my favorite DC superhero. And both MC have a lot in common than what you believe.
But let's just say that most media has wish fulfillment whether you deny that or not.

You say you're a big Batman fan but then I struggle to understand how you don't see that the two protagonists being compared are worlds apart. The man's life is hardly what I'd call gumdrops and sunshine. Despite the money and intelligence, the dude has to work his ass off and still gets beatdowns or loses important things/people on the regular. His character gets a bit sillier when in ensembles (usually to make sure he's still relevant when people with actual super powers are around) but outside of the campy Batman universes (where things are played for comedy before all else) they always go out of their way to show that no normal human being would want to live like Batman.

Jintor

I'd never really thought about canon before as being so limiting story-wise because it doesn't end (as such), but it makes sense now that I think about it.

Well Goku doesn't start out Gary Stu but he's overpowered as all hell with little justification besides "I can get more angry than you"

Well , as long as you don't blow up his closest human friend in front of him or as long as you don't menace the safety of his familly , goku is actually quite alright ...
It's just that those bad guys don't learn.

I'm talking about DBZ goku , DB goku is defintly not a gary stu.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'd never really thought about canon before as being so limiting story-wise because it doesn't end (as such), but it makes sense now that I think about it.
While all works should strive for an internal consistency, canon is more of an external consistency. Try to write something and you inherit a long list of commands and restrictions, including the inability to break the status quo.

zeroshiki

Yes, pretty much. This is why I had to laugh when ANN guy kept bitching about the ending and Deb Aoki had to school him.

Aww you had to spoil the surprise for all the annoying people who can't shut up about its ending who have never even read it.

Also, anime end is real end. If you want more, just imagine that Daikichi gets together with Kouki's mom like in the movie.

This post does a pretty good job of expressing why I can't be bothered to read most American super hero comics but I'm a big fan of a lot of the Marvel and DC (especially the later) animated universes.

You say you're a big Batman fan but then I struggle to understand how you don't see that the two protagonists being compared are worlds apart. The man's life is hardly what I'd call gumdrops and sunshine. Despite the money and intelligence, the dude has to work his ass off and still gets beatdowns or loses important things/people on the regular. His character gets a bit sillier when in ensembles (usually to make sure he's still relevant when people with actual super powers are around) but outside of the campy Batman universes (where things are played for comedy before all else) they always go out of their way to show that no normal human being would want to live like Batman.

I'm not saying they are completely alike but they do have a few similarities such as both are cool headed, intellectual, and are brilliant in combat and that's not saying they don't share other differences as one is a American character and the other is a Japanese character and that both are Gary Stu and theirs nothing wrong with that. But really let's just end this discussion as it will probably have no climax.

Narag

I'm not saying they are completely alike but they do have a few similarities such as both are cool headed, intellectual, and are brilliant in combat and that's not saying they don't share other differences as one is a American character and the other is a Japanese character and that both are Gary Stu and theirs nothing wrong with that. But really let's just end this discussion as it will probably have no climax.

Batman is a Gary Stu? Some of the best stuff I've read involving Batman has involved hubris and dealing with the fallout.

They are releasing Yuyushiki on Bluray in August.

http://sentaifilmworks.tumblr.com/p...lmworks-official-august-2014-release-schedule

August Releases

Watamote DVD/Bluray (Dub)
Love Lab DVD/Bluray
Uta No Prince Sama 2000% DVD/Bluray
Short Peace DVD/Bluray (Dub)
Fantasista Dolls DVD/Bluray
Yuyushiki Bluray
From The New World Collection 2 DVD/Bluray (Dub)
Mayo Chiki Bluray (Dub)
KinMoza DVD/Bluray

edit: The Yuyushiki DVD is coming out in July. Bluray in August. My fault

Love Lab, Yuyushiki and Kiniro Mosiac. yus! Yus!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So they are similar except for the ways they are fundamentally different? Do you even know what you are arguing?

Quasar

NIce try , you can bother , but they have seen incest , so it's incest , even when there is none.

I'm actually surprised that "no game no life" isn't labelled the same since it has way more bro-sis stuff than mahouka ever will

I was surprised how low key it is, compared to what Miyuki has been up to. I expected it to be as blatant.

Jintor

While all works should strive for an internal consistency, canon is more of an external consistency. Try to write something and you inherit a long list of commands and restrictions, including the inability to break the status quo.

I'm trying to formulate the difference between comic canon and, say, Star Wars extended universe canon. The EU was not all great, but there was always a distinct sense that time was continually moving forward, characters were living full lives until stuff happened, etc, etc. Hmm. Maybe it's more a comic-book thing where nobody can really decide if everything or anything is canon, or writers keep wanting to tell stories using the idea of the character unshackled by other writer's stories, or whatever.

Pokemon XY 23

Viola's just as hot sister Alexa returns (yes!) and the group meet the not as good as the other fossil Pokemon, Amaura and Aurorus (boo).

I will at least admit that small Littlefoot was cute.

Branduil

The issue isn't canon per se. Canon is just a term for "things that actually happened in a given fictional universe." The issue is the perversion of storytelling where a greater meta-canon which must continue for an infinite amount of time is given priority over individual stories, resulting in comics which hyperbolically proclaim their meaningfulness while reverting everything back to the status quo a few issues later(or a few years later if they're feeling especially mischievous). This is seen at its most absurd in the "deaths" of comic book characters that are about as permanent as chalk on the sidewalk.

zeroshiki

The issue isn't canon per se. Canon is just a term for "things that actually happened in a given fictional universe." The issue is the perversion of storytelling where a greater meta-canon which must continue for an infinite amount of time is given priority over individual stories, resulting in comics which hyperbolically proclaim their meaningfulness while reverting everything back to the status quo a few issues later(or a few years later if they're feeling especially mischievous). This is seen at its most absurd in the "deaths" of comic book characters that are about as permanent as chalk on the sidewalk.

Deaths are one thing but it's an accepted facet of comicbook-dom. The worst offense is when they do bullshit like One More Day where they erase 30 years of continuity because, hey, why the hell not, just so they can keep the status quo.

Jintor

I guess it's why I like one-shots or stuff disconnected from comic canon. The Superman Elseworlds are great, as are the DC New Frontier. Animal Man is sufficiently disconnected that it stands alone. Gotham Central largely stands alone bar a few crossovers with larger events that aren't prime story material.

Midonin

C - Control 08-11 + Final Thoughts

The final scene drove home to me just how Berg-Katzy Masakaki is, and how much of this may have influenced the production of Gatchaman Crowds later on. A lot of the visual direction, and even some of the themes, are the same. The show felt pretty tightly plotted. Various battles happened, but they more served to illustrate a point rather than being the point themselves. Mashu was the main reason I was watching (at first) and Tomatsu delivered a wonderful performance. The right mix of feisty and inquisitive that makes for a good partner.

While I still don't know very much about economics, the financial crash that the world's still recovering from almost certainly inspired this story to some degree. I like that Mikuni wasn't presented entirely as a villain, but by the end, his motives were starting to descend into sketchy territory. That final battle was a real treat to watch, too. Economic Meltdown and all the animation that went with it (especially the first time) was pretty cool. The show, despite being entrenched in some heady economic concepts, always felt easy to watch, and the elements of tragedy were handled with a steady hand. Some of it has to do with the weird animation, but the characters had a lot to do with it as well, though the scale quickly blew up to something way out of proportion near the end... which was the point, I get that.

Is it my favorite noitaminA show? Probably not, that's either Samumenco or, though it's unfinished, I have some high hopes for Nanana. But it was enjoyable, and that's as good a recommendation as a show can get. Its broadcast partner AnoHana's also memorable, but that's for another discussion. I'm glad I finished it up.

I've been aware of The List for some time, and for my next backlogs, have decided to take on three shows from The List (that I was interested in watching anyway). School Days (+ Valentine Days OVA), Shuffle! (+ Memories ep. 12) and Black Rock Shooter (+ OVA) in that order. I have some idea of what I'm in for with all of them.

Open deal.

Syrinx

Does one simply choose to ignore the worst parts of history?

I cannot just blindly accept the best parts of a culture. I must also understand the darkest elements.

Wish me luck.

Watch whatever the hell you want to watch. This shit doesn't need to be a lifestyle. If you actually want to watch this, do it. If you're doing this out of some perceived obligation, then I would reconsider.

Zeppeli

Banned
Man I can already tell Madoka is going to be a drain on my wallet, and I hate magical girl crap(well besides Sailor Moon in the Toonami days).

I think I'm the only person who dislikes Madoka. I just couldn't take it seriously whatsoever.

On another note, how is the Watamote BD that's coming out $69.98?! Insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom