• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
WD-M01 Turn A Gundam: The other mecha looks incredibly lame and stupid

Black Getter: Only cause Giant Robo looks stupid

Gurren Mk. II: Doesn't look like generic Gundam design #506 so Code Geass wins this one

RX-78-GP03 Dendrobium: This was a no brainer, the other choice doesn't even look like a mecha

RX-0 Unicorn Gundam: I like those red lights flashing from it

Gao Gai Gar: They both suck but I went with the one that isn't a CG abomination.

Escaflowne: Easy choice

NZ-666 Kshatriya: Another easy choice

I don't see how this is a competition when most of the time one choice is too ugly.

cajunator

Banned
Either Sunrise has got some less-than-stellar people working on Natsuiro Kiseki or the staff is full of bitter people that aren't too fond of Sphere.

It's not the first or the last show this season that has made some incredible derpface artwork. However something about it just doesn't resonate with animeGAF like Sengoku Collection and AKB0048 seem to. It just hasn't aspired to the lofty levels of absolute glorious awful that the other two have thus far reached. It's the third wheel shit tier show.

If I had photoshop skills, I was going to shop Kirino's hair on my avatar.

This should happen. I don't know why it should but it should.

Different strokes for different folks. I've read various manga chapters both pre- and post-"genre shift"/Kumagawa/whatever people like it for, and found them all equally boring.

Reading random chapters is not a good idea for anything that isn't episodic. Of course you're gonna find them boring with no context.

But it was all CG :(

It was? I thought there was a movie that wasn't. What am I thinking of?

cajunator

Banned
Reading random chapters is not a good idea for anything that isn't episodic. Of course you're gonna find them boring with no context.

It was? I thought there was a movie that wasn't. What am I thinking of?

If you are referring to that new movie, its actually a mix of CG models with real hand drawn animation, and IMO it really doesn't work very well. Its very jarring.

Jex

I think some people might (rightly) not be familiar with some of the mecha on display in that round. From Gundam 0083 we have the RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium".

Now, if you've seen any recent Gundam show like 00 you might have become acustomed to the main heroes mecha having what amounts to an insane arsenal of weapons, equipment and technology in a single unit. Gundam 0083 asked the question - what would it look like if one Gundam actually had to carry all that equipment around and it didn't all magically fold back into hammer space? It turned out like this:

700_9312.jpg

Which I actually respect.

cajunator

Banned
I think some people might (rightly) not be familiar with some of the mecha on display in that round. From Gundam 0083 we have the RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium".

Now, if you've seen any recent Gundam show like 00 you might have become acustomed to the main heroes mecha having what amounts to an insane arsenal of weapons, equipment and technology in a single unit. Gundam 0083 asked the question - what would it look like if one Gundam actually had to carry all that equipment around? It turned out like this (click to enlarge):

See, now that's pretty goddamned awesome. If all Gundam's were that insane I'd probably like it more.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It took you until now to notice? I was creeped out by young Fujiko since the full ED was shown in episode 2. I don't really like her design.
I can be pretty dismissive of certain stuff. When I first saw the ED I mostly just thought, "bad art, it barely even looks like Fujiko", and went on my way.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah, some of these simulcast announcements were late, because of the con season, so they get missed out on. Fan death is a myth after all...
Funimation was getting free PR time on a really boring ANNcast and they made it sound like late simulcast announcements was just how they do things, and that Crunchyroll was an anomaly. They also seemed to make it sound like people don't really care that they're a few weeks behind, because users just happen to show up on their site and are surprised to even find the series exists.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chiebros before Yukihoes.

Now, if you've seen any recent Gundam show like 00 you might have become acustomed to the main heroes mecha having what amounts to an insane arsenal of weapons, equipment and technology in a single unit. Gundam 0083 asked the question - what would it look like if one Gundam actually had to carry all that equipment around and it didn't all magically fold back into hammer space? It turned out like this:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/700_9312.jpg

Fuck, that model must cost at least a thousand dollars. Impressive stuff. I (symbolically) retract my vote for whoever it was that this was up against.

Jex

Funimation was getting free PR time on a really boring ANNcast and they made it sound like late simulcast announcements was just how they do things, and that Crunchyroll was an anomaly. They also seemed to make it sound like people don't really care that they're a few weeks behind, because users just happen to show up on their site and are surprised to even find the series exists.

Ah yes, because we all knot that anime fans are incredibly patient. Well, I guess they were, at one point, but in the age of the internet patience exists in extremely small quantities.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mysterious Fox > Teddie > Chie > Rise > Devil Nurse > Margaret > Milf > Ai > Naoto > Drama Girl > Grandma > Yukiko > Music Girl

Solune

The place was actually really cool. I went on the last day they had the F/Z stuff up
Christmas Day
and had dinner there.

Had the best tofu of my life there.

I initially just wanted to protect it but later accepted that my role was to eat it.
So it tasted quite good.

Sick Tofu, Sick Displays, Sick Cake, Sick EVERYTHING

Jex

Makoto said:
Gurren Lagann 1-5
Quote:
Shit is sooo craaaaaayyyy.

And I'm not even a fan of mecha.
I think you'll notice that there's a pretty high proportion of non-mecha fans who have watched and enjoyed Gurren Lagann. This always seems to irk 'serious' (read:crazy) mecha fans on /m/ (and other places) who go on to list (at length) works which they consider to be as good or considerably better than Gurren Lagann. Which just goes to show that they really don't understand the appeal of the show and why it captures people's imaginations far more than something like GaoGaiGar.

Ultimadrago

Uhh, I'm not totally sure that this is a "best character" list and not "would have sex with" list. You miiiiiiiight want to wait for Regulus to clarify before even mentioning Nanako.

Oh, I thought it was simply a "best character" list as it had "Mysterious Fox", but then again, I don't know Regulus...

Dresden

Uhh, I'm not totally sure that this is a "best character" list and not "would have sex with" list. You miiiiiiiight want to wait for Regulus to clarify before even mentioning Nanako.
It's probably a best character list seeing as he put the fox and the grandma there . . . waitaminute

Not that there is anything wrong with this.

I fully approve of foxmance.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think you'll notice that there's a pretty high proportion of non-mecha fans who have watched and enjoyed Gurren Lagann. This always seems to irk 'serious' (read:crazy) mecha fans on /m/ (and other places) who go on to list (at length) works which they consider to be as good or considerably better than Gurren Lagann. Which just goes to show that they really don't understand the appeal of the show and why it captures people's imaginations far more than something like GaoGaiGar.
Ookami-kun just hates it because it's not Mazinger.
This list lacks Nanako.
Dude. Duuude.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's probably a best character list seeing as he put the fox and the grandma there . . . waitaminute

Not that there is anything wrong with this.

I fully approve of foxmance.

Regulus does seem like the type who likes 'em foxy.

cajunator

Banned
Ah yes, because we all knot that anime fans are incredibly patient. Well, I guess they were, at one point, but in the age of the internet patience exists in extremely small quantities.

I have been a surprisingly patient penguin. Between waiting for volume by volume DVD releases back in the 00's and now waiting for my favorite shows to come out on disc as well it really takes some real patience. For example I want Fate Zero boxset 2 now in the worst way.

This is when I barge in and confess my love for Rise.

Pics of her are encouraged.
Show your love!

Jex

wonzo said:
Kids on the Slope 7

....also since when did Crunchyroll start adding lyrics to the opening and endings?!
I don't really know but now that they have done I am reminded how much I dislike their presence and feel that they are entirely unnecessary. Get that crap off my screen

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't really know but now that they have done I am reminded how much I dislike their presence and feel that they are entirely unnecessary. Get that crap off my screen

At least Crunchyroll hasn't started using karaoke effects yet.

cajunator

Banned

For me, a casual mecha fan, Gurren Lagann was just plain fun. It wasn't serious or trying to be something it wasn't. It was just straight up batshit insanity with mechs. GaoGaiGar is a lot of fun too. Its pretty silly sometimes. I liked what I saw of it.
DIVIDING DRIVERRRRR!!!!!

Regulus does seem like the type who likes 'em foxy.

there is a certain allure to DEM EARS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom