• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah—good idea, why'd I never think of it.

Something that's been bothering me: why does TMS have the most business sense out of all the houses publishing any series sets this season? Fujikoike looks like a real bargain.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
New trailer for Mr. Aramaki's Starship Troopers: Invasion movie:

スターシップ・トゥルーパーズ インベイジョン
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrlI1Hs_HIM

I had completely forgotten about that. It looks good, I guess, but the chances that the rest of the film will be good are pretty low.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
wasn't long ago when this was directed at Jexhius

It doesn't matter if it's Dragoon or Jexhius or Ultimadrago. It's not about the individuals - it's about what they symbolize. Someone needs to take on the mask of Zero to give the people of this world hope.

The worst thing about 100 ppp people, apart from the fact that they are viewing GAF wrong, is that they have some kind of superiority conference.

You can tell they're wrong because they constantly feel the need to inform everyone about the fact that they view GAF with 100 posts per page, as though they have some sort of inferiority complex.

Hanasaku Iroha 17-26
Finally finished it. Been meaning to watch it, but due to work, ot, and procrastination. Had to watch episode 16 since its been months since I seen it. Story was well done. Way better than AnoHana.

Comparing Hanasaku Iroha to AnoHana is like comparing a gourmet steak to a plate of diarrhea.

survivor

Banned
Eden of the East 1
if I take a drink every time he gets his cock out how messed up will I be by the end of the day?

He stops being naked after the first episode sadly

However if you change the rules to drinking everytime a guy is naked then you will die by the end of the series

duckroll

http://www.vinto-de-pint.com/

Okay, I think we have almost enough hints to solve one big mystery with regards to the supporting staff for this show:

- The main writer is also a manga author (probably not an artist though)
- The mecha designer also does original character concept designs for other shows
- The mecha designer and the main writer have worked together on a previous project

Any guesses? Come on, let's put our brains together! There aren't that many character illustrators who also do mecha design work, and how many of them could have worked before with a manga author who also does anime writing work?

/XX/

Something that's been bothering me: why does TMS have the most business sense out of all the houses publishing any series sets this season? Fujikoike looks like a real bargain.
No kidding! For example, look at the discounts present on amazon.co.jp right now (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0083P4TTM/). VAP, Inc., presents very well adjusted prices for more "normal" consumers. Even for the recent Lupin the Third Master File edition and upcoming ZONE OF THE ENDERS (Z.O.E 2167 IDOLO & Z.O.E Dolores,i) releases.

Acchi kocchi 8

yukata eps!

A lot of fun things this eps. I do kinda think they need to mix up their cute 'gags' though. Still cute cute though.

isqbgsQusCH5j.gif

Spirit Neko Attack!

i85zGCvBZ9lFu.gif

synthesia in anime? Good old memories.

i6IF2FrGxxK5B.gif

:D

might just be america, but all the stuffed things i've won in amusement parks or fairs tend to be not soft and fluffy at all =/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You can tell they're wrong because they constantly feel the need to inform everyone about the fact that they view GAF with 100 posts per page, as though they have some sort of inferiority complex.

It's pretty easy to have an inferiority complex when you really are vastly inferior!

I disagree. The Medaka Box manga is pretty good.

Different strokes for different folks. I've read various manga chapters both pre- and post-"genre shift"/Kumagawa/whatever people like it for, and found them all equally boring.

I don't know if "business sense" is the right term here, since the new Lupin will likely turn less of a profit than other, carefully and liberally merchandised shows. At any rate, it's being marketed at the Lupin fanbase, for which boxsets are generally cheaper than the norm, as opposed to the usual anime DVD buying crowd.

duckroll

Random? Doesn't seem that way at all! First tell us what other people you have in mind, because that guess hits all the right notes!

It's not random. I lied. It's just that when I think of a writer who works "outside" of the usual anime industry, Tow Ubukata is the first name I had in mind. After that, I automatically discounted the possibility of either Izubuchi or Akiman (my two strongest guesses previously on the mecha designer) because they don't seem to have worked with Ubukata in the past before.

That's when I realized that Range Murata is also an original character designer who does mechanical designs... and he DID work with Ubukata very closely on the cancelled Mardock Scramble OVA project before old GONZO died.

So... that's my guess. Also, I think Range Murata mechanical art would complement the character design style of Umetsu very well.

Different strokes for different folks. I've read various manga chapters both pre- and post-"genre shift"/Kumagawa/whatever people like it for, and found them all equally boring.

I don't know if "business sense" is the right term here, since the new Lupin will likely turn less of a profit than other, carefully and liberally merchandised shows. At any rate, it's being marketed at the Lupin fanbase, for which boxsets are generally cheaper than the norm, as opposed to the usual anime DVD buying crowd.
You're in the right there, but business sense is something of a broad term. Relatively-low pricing ranges, great bonus content and presentation, and even the creation of Fujikoike are all great things that few other houses are either capable of, or willing to do at all. TBS has Doreamon to rest their backs on, of course, but investing in Fujiko Fujio was the best thing they've ever done to secure a long-term king seat in the industry.

/XX/

It's not random. I lied. It's just that when I think of a writer who works "outside" of the usual anime industry, Tow Ubukata is the first name I had in mind. After that, I automatically discounted the possibility of either Izubuchi or Akiman (my two strongest guesses previously on the mecha designer) because they don't seem to have worked with Ubukata in the past before.

That's when I realized that Range Murata is also an original character designer who does mechanical designs... and he DID work with Ubukata very closely on the cancelled Mardock Scramble OVA project before old GONZO died.

So... that's my guess. Also, I think Range Murata mechanical art would complement the character design style of Umetsu very well.
I was wondering... do you think they would take into account like that for their guessing game hints referencing a cancelled project? Seems like a rather... obscure (I don't know if this is the right adjective) thing to do on an official website, not something to take lightly.

Space Brothers 8:
Man, this show just keeps impressing me with its quality. I was kind of down on the ridiculous coincidence Mutta found himself in at first, but the way he reacted the situation and the truth behind it managed to sell it for me, because it felt completely true to his character. The buffering provided me with some nice amusement, too. I really felt the tension when
Mutta was waiting for the results of the exam
. That scene was directed very well. It's the mark of a good show when they can have you sweating something out even when the result is fairly obvious due to dramatic reasons.

duckroll

I was wondering... do you think they would take into account like that for their guessing game hints referencing a cancelled project? Seems like a rather... obscure (I don't know if this is the right adjective) thing to do on an official website, not something to take lightly.

It's not like it was an obscure project no one knew about though. There was a big announcement, a website, a trailer, etc. It got cancelled, but a lot of people knew about it. If they're targeting the interest of people who would know about staff members in the first place, there's no way such a project would be ignored. At least, that's what I would think.

Jex

Experience? Enough experience not to get SHAF-ted out of money, I imagine.

Jex

I had completely forgotten about that. It looks good, I guess, but the chances that the rest of the film will be good are pretty low.

Well, the director is mainly known for his mechanical designs.

That's not a good thing.

duckroll

Well, the director is mainly known for his mechanical designs.

That's not a good thing.

I dunno, these days he isn't even known for his mechanical designs anymore. He's just known as the scifi action CG feature director who foreign investors turn to when they want something they can claim is anime.

That... sounds worse than I intended. Lol.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
After reading people's thoughts on the latest episode of Sankarea I'm kinda not looking forward to it.

That's a shame.

Jex

You're too clever for your own good. We might have to...silence you.

/XX/

It's not like it was an obscure project no one knew about though. There was a big announcement, a website, a trailer, etc. It got cancelled, but a lot of people knew about it. If they're targeting the interest of people who would know about staff members in the first place, there's no way such a project would be ignored. At least, that's what I would think.
Yeah. Mine was more a question of how, on a public relations mentality, you don't want your creators to be associated as former participants on a dead project, in that way. Something to avoid showing in marketing a new show and creating expectations from it.

Seems like I was beginning to read too much into that, huh? I'll shut up now.

duckroll

Yeah. Mine was more a question of how, on a public relations mentality, you don't want your creators to be associated as former participants on a dead project, in that way. Something to avoid showing marketing a new show and creating expectations from it.

Seems like I was beginning to read too much into that, huh?

I dunno. After all, I could be totally wrong with my guesses! We should find out by Monday or so what the project is though, since I expect the magazine info will be "available" online a few days before it actually streets (5/30).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Natsuiro Kiseki 8

Faces in this episode looked worse than usual. It's like they gained weight but most of it went to their cheeks or something. The girls are eating too much of that ice cream.

That really does look quite poor, especially for a close up like that.

Jex

I dunno, these days he isn't even known for his mechanical designs anymore. He's just known as the scifi action CG feature director who foreign investors turn to when they want something they can claim is anime.

That... sounds worse than I intended. Lol.

I think it sounds exactly as you intended!

Kids on the Slope 5-7

My waiting game paid off. The medley performance at the end of 7 felt like the culmination of everything the series has been doing until now; the way it's tied pieces of music to relational issues has paid off in spades.
Kaoru and Sentarou running off together afterwards
only added to the overwhelming exhilaration of the sequence. The storyboarding in both it and the registration scene was superb. Of course, I've already praised Bahl's excellent animation work.

Apparently people in Japan liked this episode as much as everyone here did, as there's been a noticable spike in preorders since it aired.

Jex

Natsuiro Kiseki 8

Faces in this episode looked worse than usual. It's like they gained weight but most of it went to their cheeks or something. The girls are eating too much of that ice cream.

That really does look terrible. Sphere should sue!

duckroll

Kids on the Slope 5-7

My waiting game paid off. The medley performance at the end of 7 felt like the culmination of everything the series has been doing until now; the way it's tied pieces of music to relational issues has paid off in spades.
Kaoru and Sentarou running off together afterwards
only added to the overwhelming exhilaration of the sequence.

Apparently people in Japan liked this episode as much as everyone here did, as there's been a noticable spike in preorders since it aired.

Did you bother to watch Gyo yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom