• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do this, but only if its released on DVD first then later on Bluray. Because I'm impatient as fuck.

I guess I could see that, I would have to really like the series or something. Bakuman possibly since the DVD came early last year and the Blu ray keeps being delayed and I want to support them so they can keep releasing the series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
People are buying BOTH dvd and blu-rays of the same anime?!

Have you ever loved a game so much that you purchased it on multiple platforms just to own? For instance, someone who really loves Final Fantasy IV might have the SNES version, PS1 version, GBA version, DS version, Wonderswan version, PSP version, sealed copies of all of these, versions from different regions, etc. and devote an entire shelf to all of them as an expression of how much the game means to them. It's the same principle here, except sometimes it comes off more as unhealthy obsession and a conspicuous display of wealth when otaku do it.

cajunator

Banned
Have you ever loved a game so much that you purchased it on multiple platforms just to own? For instance, someone who really loves Final Fantasy IV might have the SNES version, PS1 version, GBA version, DS version, Wonderswan version, PSP version, sealed copies of all of these, versions from different regions, etc. and devote an entire shelf to all of them as an expression of how much the game means to them. It's the same principle here, except sometimes it comes off more as unhealthy obsession and a conspicuous display of wealth when otaku do it.

I did this with Metroid Prime. First I bought all three normal versions, but then I had to have the reworked compilation one with Wii controls and that Oh-so-pretty Steelbook case. It was worth it. Great collection if you're into the series.

On the anime side of things I bought the original ROD TV book box, all the volumes, then the artbox that came with anita figurine, then later the BLuray set from aniplex.
There are other examples of this, but I reallyl ike those combination DVD/Bluray sets sold in the US.

Jex

It's kind of different though, because with things like a videogame those different versions will tend to come out over time for different platforms. With anime, it's available on DVD and BD at the same time.

duckroll

It's kind of different though, because with things like a videogame those different versions will tend to come out over time for different platforms. With anime, it's available on DVD and BD at the same time.

cvxfreak collects every version of Resident Evil games. He buys the US, JP, and EU versions, and both PS3 and 360 versions of multiplatform ones.

Dresden

I think I'm going to just go with Occam on this one and say that they probably just can't play BDs.

cajunator

Banned

Not in Squid girl's case :(

I'm about to double dip that one. Especially after MediaBlasters completely fucked up the packaging.
But yeah I know..Mediablasters.

cajunator

Banned
Sales are rarely an indicator of anything (except what will keep getting made)

It really does seem pretty difficult to pin down what Otaku will buy, because a lot of shows have the right ingredients, but only certain ones take off for some reason.

I thought my friend was crazy for buying Sonic Hedgehog 4 episode 2 on every platform except X360. Only time I did something like that for a game was just rebuying the game after I regretted trading it in (three times for The World Ends With You, twice for Golden Sun and Pokemon Diamond). I would rebuy Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece on Blu-ray though and Ouran High School Host Clubc, since I only have that digital in iTunes.

Steroyd

Eureka Seven Ao - 07

3NKJ3.gif

cajunator

Banned
I thought my friend was crazy for buying Sonic Hedgehog 4 episode 2 on every platform except X360. Only time I did something like that for a game was just rebuying the game after I regretted trading it in (three times for The World Ends With You, twice for Golden Sun and Pokemon Diamond). I would rebuy Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece on Blu-ray though and Ouran High School Host Clubc, since I only have that digital in iTunes.

Yes, your friend is indeed crazy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I'll narrow my analogy to someone purchasing the PS3 and 360 version of the same game at release, then. However, figurines, dakis, and other otaku merchandise generally releases in a continual trickle long after the BD volumes of a show are released, so the comparison could still be made between someone who owns many ports of the same video game and someone who owns all merchandise available for a given anime franchise.

I think I'm going to just go with Occam on this one and say that they probably just can't play BDs.

I'm going to defy Occam on this one and say that it's just otaku being otaku.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sales are rarely an indicator of anything (except what will keep getting made)

It really does seem pretty difficult to pin down what Otaku will buy, because a lot of shows have the right ingredients, but only certain ones take off for some reason.

I'm pretty sure Upotte!! would have satisfying sales if it they were actually broadcasting the show, for example. The content otaku seem to love is definitely there.

cajunator

Banned
I'm pretty sure Upotte!! would have satisfying sales if it they were actually broadcasting the show, for example. The content otaku seem to love is definitely there.

I always wondered if these shows would have higher sales if they aired in a more visible timeslot.
The content is very niche. It probably wouldnt sell much higher regardless.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yurumate3Dei is the best short series this year. I hope people who use Crunchyroll are watching it.

cajunator

Banned
Was the original Moyashimon any good?
Looks cute. Moe microbes and all that.
Somebdy made plushie microbes before and I almost bought some.

Jex

Koikelupin 08

Fujiko was molested by an owl-man when she was a child?

That's some messed up shit right there.

What you're trying to say is, duckroll gave this show far too much credit when he said that last week's vision wasn't a flashback.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know if Gigalmesh is interesting in stuff like Rider's shitty booze. Maybe he doesn't have that.

Get your disgusting logic out of here.

He still lays claim to it, it's just beneath him.
Sort of how I own Green Green but am not very proud of that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom