• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
legend of korra 5

bwahaha. Now I get what all the NTR people were spewing a few weeks back.

And everything ended up being lighthearted and not School Days.

The whole drowning yourself in ramen was hilarious ;P

Kazzy

Kids On The Slope 9

sOeTE.jpg

Seiji is so god-damn annoying

Maybe this is one of the concessions of the adaptation, but I really don't like Junichi, and it’s really odd to see him depicted as some sort of charismatic force that people are drawn to, especially when he comes off as aloof and uninteresting. Up until the very last scene at the train-station, his and Yurika's relationship felt really artificial to me and it was difficult to see them as anything other than characters playing out their designated parts. Unless it's imperative to the final parts of the story, this would be what I would have culled from the Anime.

Cats don't behave like that.

I like Kaoru as a character but his forever noble white-knighting is starting to wear thin, especially now that it seems to have rubbed off on everyone else. So, it was a surprise then to see moves actually being made, rather than the epic-stalling manoeuvres that made up most of the episode.

I intended to marathon this, precisely to avoid cliff-hangers like this...damn.

Fräulein Eule 10

Hm, I'm not quite sure that the plots tying together like this was mapped out from the start, at least it doesn't feel like that. And I'm pretty much of the opinion that the Owl imagery is played out now, despite how novel it seemed initially. Their explanation behind that isn't nearly as interesting as I'd hoped, and even if there is reasoning behind it, why does everyone react to those anthropomorphic owls so casually?

The episode itself was odd, but I didn't mind that as it conformed to the idea that it was being presented through the haze of the drug. It's just that the revelations weren't all that well...revelatory.

duckroll

Toriko OVA (2009)

I checked this out the other day as part of my Ufotable fanaticism. This was the very first Toriko animated short made in 2009. It was directed by Mitsuru Obunai (KnK3 director, animation director for F/Z Ep9) and the character designs and animation director was Masayuki Kunihiro (action animator for F/Z, special action director for ep14-15 and 23).

I'll admit that I don't really have much interest in Toriko itself at all, and I probably wouldn't have watched this if it was a large time commitment, but at under 30 minutes it was pretty decent. The actual premise here is pretty silly - a nerdy chef teams up with a super hunter to catch a giant monster in a dangerous island as a gourmet ingredient. What is interesting here is that Ufotable shows that they are totally able to adapt to a pure shounen style when required. They handle the material pretty well I felt, and there was an interesting variety of designs throughout the short to keep the viewer's interest.

Checking out the various different works of Ufotable over the years is pretty interesting because they really tackle a wide range of different types of material. I wonder if some day they'll actually take on a long running shounen TV series like BONES eventually did with FMA. It would certainly be interesting if they do, but I hope it would be something that I'm personally more interested in subject-wise. Maybe they can remake Kenshin... :)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ginga e Kickoff 04-05:

COACHIE.

COACHIE.

COACHIE.

As cool as he is I don't think there will ever be a coachie as cool as the one from Eisu :(

Steroyd

Speaking of Ro-Kyu-Bu!, the author and illustrator have apparently put it on hold for a while and started a new novel series called Tenshi no 3P ("Angel 3P")
It's about a high school boy who winds up acting as producer for a rock band of three fifth-grade girls.

RzqJh.jpg

CGDZZ.jpg

bem8w.jpg

6sjGx.jpg

Westlo

To put it simply, it's like One Piece, where it takes so long to get good you can't really call it good.

Yeah, except this is 46 chapters to get good while One Piece is 50-100 episodes depending on who you ask. I don't mind reading "so-so" manga for a little bit until it gets good because you can breeze through manga chapters at a fast rate... but an anime episode is always a 20 minute investment... unless you double speed through it lol.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
SZS 2
BTGWm.jpg

Bure bure bure bure bure bure

This time, the main character (His name is a bit of a wordplay on "despair", but it's not an easy name to remember, so whatever) recruits 3 more girls into his harem! A hikikomori, a stalker, and the OCD girl. No Kafuka, the solution to someone staying inside her room is not to nail the doors and windows shut.

Who knew staying inside all the time could make you so moe? Really she's almost as much of a stalker as the stalker girl.
All that needs to be said about her.
It's spreading everywhere. :(

duckroll

Fans who attended the Fate/Zero Ep23 realtime screening events at the Ufotable Cafe and Restaurant yesterday got these: http://twitpic.com/9utsbg

QUfEV.jpg

So jealous. I want one too! :(

Here's a blog report on the screening at the Ufotable Dining restaurant yesterday (warning: some artwork contains ep23 spoilers): http://ameblo.jp/cosmode-shoping/entry-11273532458.html

Most of the artwork you see in the photos are by Atsushi Ikariya, except the Maiya picture which is by Tomonori Sudou. The unique art pieces are given out as prizes via lottery.

Fans who attended the Fate/Zero Ep23 realtime screening events at the Ufotable Cafe and Restaurant yesterday got these: http://twitpic.com/9utsbg

QUfEV.jpg

So jealous. I want one too! :(

Here's a blog report on the screening at the Ufotable Dining restaurant yesterday (warning: some artwork contains ep23 spoilers): http://ameblo.jp/cosmode-shoping/entry-11273532458.html

Most of the artwork you see in the photos are by Atsushi Ikariya, except the Maiya picture which is by Tomonori Sudou. The unique art pieces are given out as prizes via lottery.

What am I looking at here? A button, postcard, an envelope art, and a golden egg? hmmmm... I've seen weirder gift bags. No clue how you preserve that stuff though. vacuum seal them?

duckroll

Nitroplus Music Producer stabbed to death: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=451019

News article: http://jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2012061000149

According to Mainichi News, Minamino Shingo, the music producer of Nitro+, was killed by a random slasher in Osaka. A 36 year old jobless man was arrested for killing Minamino and a woman. The killer deposed to the police that he was not acquainted with the victims. Minamino was attacked on the way to a live concert of Nitro+’s music label. The killer stabbed Minamino 20 - 30 times in the middle of the busy street in Osaka and attacked an elderly woman riding a bicycle nearby. He returned to Minamino, who fell on the street, and stabbed Minamino again straddling him.

Osaka, June 10 (Jiji Press) -- A man was arrested in Osaka, western Japan, Sunday over an apparent indiscriminate stabbing that killed two people.
The suspect, identified as Kyozo Isohi, 36, told investigators that he is not acquainted with the victims, according to the Osaka prefectural police department.
Isohi also told investigators that he thought he would kill anyone no matter who they are, according to sources familiar with the investigation.
The incident happened in the busy Higashishinsaibashi district at around 1 p.m. (4 a.m. GMT) when the two victims, a man and a woman, were sent to hospital after being stabbed several times, according to the police department.
The male victim is apparently Shingo Minamino, a 42-year-old resident of Higashikurume, Tokyo, according to the driver's license. The female victim is in her 60s.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Bodacious Space Pirates 23 + random other thought:

Anyhoo, another solid episode as things move further into what I can only assume at this point to be the show's final arc. I loved the bit about the forced sound effects, but I have to wonder what's got Kane so extremely excited. Taking a look at my handy "Anime Cliches and Obvious Foreshadowing for Dummies" manual I have some guesses, but I'll save them for now in the hopes that the final episodes.

One of these days I'm going to set aside a few hours, take my Irresponsible Captain Tylor DVDs and take some screencaps and do a comparison with this show, because I could swear many of the character designs/overall character art direction in this show are reminiscent of it. Well, either that or I'm just seeing things because I happen to really really like ICT and while not anywhere near as humorous, the overall tone of the show feels similar. I'm sure it's already been mentioned how the first part of the ending animation where it scrolls through the ship crews very quickly is very reminiscent of the Captain Tylor eyecatch.

/old man rant

Holy fuck that's horrible! ;_;

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
SZS 3

L3Iis.jpg

Death.. NEET

This time, it's all about the foreign girls.
uMuOL.jpg

It's the blue eyes and blonde hair that give it away

She suffers from a bipersonality disorder, switching between stereotypical foreigner to stereotypical japanese.

U5mxi.jpg

Everyone in this show is a stalker

Then there's the second girl, who you can tell is supposed to be foreign because she acts mildly retarded. And doesn't wear shoes.

uToNs.jpg

Zetsuen no Tempest main staff confirmed:
Character Design: Tsunenori Saito
Art Concept Design: Tomoaki Okada
Animation Production: BONES

Well thats some cool main character design, sign me up. I hope its pretty action packed and really flashy.

What other shounen were you subconsciously comparing Fairy Tail to when you wrote this?

Only other Shounen in Fairy Tail's league that have better pacing and are still running is really HxH and Naruto.

The thing is that it still sucked when it changed genres, just in a different way. The next arc and the first long arc of the manga has its moments, but it wouldn't be something I would call great. It's the minus arc that starts right after the conclusion of the next arc which is where Medaka made most of its fans.

I think the "genre shift" would have been more effective if it wasnt hyped like the second coming of sliced bread and wasnt consistently held as the premise of peoples suggestions for urging others to must watch the anime. Which it really doesnt feel like one as at the end of the day, next episode could go back to suggestion box antics to close the season out :/

survivor

Banned
Tsuritama 1

Kenji Nakamura is back. Anime is saved.

This was near flawless and the best premier episode I have seen from this season so far.

survivor

Banned
Tsuritama 2

This anime is amazing. Now that the entire group is assembled I can't wait for the next episode. Oh and I seriously hope the water gun won't be gone now just cause Yuki told Haru to stop using it.

Narag

Lupin III (1971) 5

Enjoyed yet another episode. No complaints about editting or such to be had here yet again which is nice. It doesn't hurt I'm a sucker for Goemon either. Fujiko was a little more duplicitous in this than I expected but I can't complain. All the Goemon action stuff? So cool.

I find myself thinking the revised OP with the character introductions was a good idea as well. It negates the barrier of entry to something episodic like this by giving just enough information about the characters.

Goemon is so cool...

and apparently a huge pervert.

The highway fight was top notch. Short, dynamic, and exciting.

cajunator

Banned
Tsuritama 2

This anime is amazing. Now that the entire group is assembled I can't wait for the next episode. Oh and I seriously hope the water gun won't be gone now just cause Yuki told Haru to stop using it.

This anime is a lot of fun, especially if you actually enjoy fishing.
They art style and presence of aliens in it also makes it a bizarre, happy thing. Its been a pleasure to watch it.

Hiiro no Kakera 11

The episodes go by so fast, never has talking been so interesting. The history of the Tamayori-hime as well as the Oni was pretty interesting even if it led to canon
Tamaki x Takuma. I wonder if Mashiro heard at the end there or if he truly was asleep.

Hopefully she awakens soon.

Accel World SD pv

This will be hilarious, poor Taku.

Madoka Magica Episode 11

mahoushoujo-11-0.jpg

Will the timeline be negated again? Will Homura finally give up hope? If Madoka chooses to be a magical girl again, will she actually give a wish worth giving?! Because the director seems to enjoy torturing his characters, anything seems to be possible. Oh man, I love when directors handle genres they despised.

Time to finish this emotional roller-coaster of an anime. Anything is possible within Madoka Magica.

Reknoc

The Sega Saturn had a Captain Tsubasa game? But still awesome! I love the Captain Tsubasa games, great football-rpgs and better than Inazuma Eleven.

Actually I decided to check that and cant seem to find any mention of one. Maybe they decided to use a Saturn because no one would recognise it.

ohohohoh

Madoka Magica-Fin

Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-episode-12-screenshot-003.jpg

A phenomenal ending. This was a completely superb show. Now, I must convince my fellow anime-watching friends to watch this show.

Madoka actually gave a wish worth wishing for! I guess my initial theory of her reviving Mami was completely off the mark.

A part of me hopes a second season is created, but I am completely satisfied if this is truly the end to this mystical series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom