• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Thanks for the background! Sounds like I'm in for something good (unless you're implying that the series after episode three dips in quality.)

It's less consistent after the first three eps but has higher highs etc. Wikipedia has Jun Kawagoe, who did Koutetsushin Jeeg and some other Getter Robo OAVS, taking over after Imagawa but ANN only lists him for a few episodes and I've not yet looked into that further. It was in good hands whoever took over though.

There was a NicoNico preair showing of the first episode of Rinne no Lagrange Season 2 recently. Even though I never finished the first season, I gave it a glance. It reminded me of what I liked about the show - nice-looking 2D mecha action with fitting music - and what I disliked about it - humdrum slice-of-life antics by the sea, which unfortunately made up most of the episode. At least the fanservice wasn't as obnoxious as it could be. Anyway, it doesn't look like those who were dissatisfied by the first season will find the second season more to their tastes.

Unfortunately the preair did not include the new OP, which is what I was really hoping for.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's less consistent after the first three eps but has higher highs etc. Wikipedia has Jun Kawagoe, who did Koutetsushin Jeeg and some other Getter Robo OAVS, taking over after Imagawa but ANN only lists him for a few episodes and I've not yet looked into that further. It was in good hands whoever took over though.

That sounds fine, then. I'll be sure to make mention if I start to notice any significant differences in the show pre and post-director change.

Unfortunately the preair did not include the new OP, which is what I was really hoping for.

It'll be difficult for the new OP to top Try Unite, that's for sure.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
GP6vV.jpg

81Sp3.jpg

Why indeed.

Lupin III (1971) 7

So two more Osumi episodes (9,12) after this. I don't think I quite appreciated how much violence was in this for its time either although reading up it's apparently one of the reasons Osumi was ultimately let go. I'm curious how Takahata/Miyazaki approached the show now as it feels like this was just getting into a groove. Interesting to see the animators realized how bullets work after episode 5 too. The highlight of the episode, without a doubt, was the bonding at the end between Lupin and Goemon which was just fantastic.
Also Lupin's dad is an asshole.

If I still ran a 4:3 monitor, this would probably be my background now.
There's always a great shot in every episode worthy of being framed, I'd say. Just wish that I could find cels to purchase.

Lupin III (1971) 8

Well, that was something. I heard the Takahata/Miyazaki stuff takes a bit to come into its own as well but there was some serious contrast between this and the Osumi stuff. Overall it was more cartoony (aside from Goemon cutting fools up), Zenigata seemed more inept, the usual macguffin actually became more of a focus of the story, the background characters were much more prominent in how they were used as well as the sheer number of them, and it seemed to give way to something more story than character oriented.

Poor Jigen.
One thing I've noticed about Osumi is how much focus he places on the regulars. It's just his thing—when I attempted to watch some of his Moomin episodes in recent times, that choice of direction was easy enough to notice, even though I couldn't quite understand the plot at times. All about the regulars, secluded in generic, symbolized backgrounds that are more meant to add an expressionist context for the characters themselves. I think Osumi definitely had a fine career in running puppet shows, because he treats his episodes like puppet plays for distinctive characters.

You've pretty much nailed the contrast there. The Osumi episodes feel like a spy movie, while the Miyazaki/Takahata episodes feel like a Saturday morning cartoon heist show.
That's a fairly-accurate analysis. Miyazaki is usually more guilty of being the cartoony director, though. Takahata is more similar to Osumi in most ways, except that his influences from French new wave and Italian reo-realist films are more apparent. Osumi set up a framework resemblant of his puppet-show productions and let the series staff have more fun than usual with what kinds of experiments they wished to try. I wish Gisaburo Sugii got to work on Lupin, though Yasuo Otsuka is enough celebrity participation to give me a boner.

Whoa whoa whoa - Masashi Hamauzu is doing the music for Binbougami ga!? Another reason to get hyped! Such a great composer.

This makes the second show this summer season to feature a composer most known for video game work, after Maki Kirioka and Yasunori Mitsuda on Uta Koi.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Whoa whoa whoa - Masashi Hamauzu is doing the music for Binbougami ga!? Another reason to get hyped! Such a great composer.

This makes the second show this summer season to feature a composer most known for video game work, after Maki Kirioka and Yasunori Mitsuda on Uta Koi.

Binbougami ga! is probably going to be the best summer show, source material is great, and it's right up the alley for the Gintama team, who are making it.

I heard about this, too. Pretty rad, but doing music production, composition, and arrangement for an anime production is going to be more restrictive and prohibitive for him in every way imaginable. So I'm a little disappointed by this announcement, if only because I'd rather he be able to experiment with game music scoring more often.

Any Hamauzu's a fine thing, though. Bring it on!

Binbougami ga! is probably going to be the best summer show, source material is great, and it's right up the alley for the Gintama team, who are making it.

It'll either be this or Natsuyuki.

I heard about this, too. Pretty rad, but doing music production, composition, and arrangement for an anime production is going to be more restrictive and prohibitive for him in every way imaginable. So I'm a little disappointed by this announcement, if only because I'd rather he be able to experiment with game music scoring more often.

Any Hamauzu's a fine thing, though. Bring it on!

At least with this he should break the streak of his soundtracks getting attached to iffy products!
I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII.

Fuck yeah, Binbougami ga! = Show of Summer season.

I'm happy and sad at the same time. Happy we got Masashi Hamauzu but sad Audio Highs isn't doing this one.

Hamauzu is way better than Audio Highs. The Gintama soundtrack is effective within the context of the show, but mediocre on its own terms.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why are you guys oppressing gun sexuality?

If they want to bonk who are we to tell them no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom