• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

I remember when animegaf was about the discussion of japanimation.

Now it's all just smut.
After seeing such a comprehensive conversation about the importance of the storyboard on this medium, about Fate/Zero's first episode, and fantastic reviews like the one by Typographenia (for example), posted all with the difference of a mere couple of hours, I can't really complain about anything else. In fact I really like post diversity, with some light-hearted and vivid content to compensate, like the two faces of the coin.

Defuser

I saw Index get mentioned a few pages ago. Thus, I present the following terrible pun relevant to a show from this season.

V8Cco.png

wonzo

Banned
TO 1 (Elliptical Orbit)

Hmm, that was actually a somewhat interesting story concept (think the terrorists in Planetes) but the execution (most notably the animation during the space battle) was anything but. Watching this with the poorly lip-synced english dub certainly helped "add" to the experience.
i fucking lost it at the revelation that the hot chick was his mum. lmao

Risette

A Good Citizen
I really need to get a better understanding of the film or at least animation making process.
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the-anime-production-line

I would also add to pizzaroll's excellent post that in many cases, some of the best anime films are the ones where the director is the one who writes the script and storyboards the film as well. Or if he doesn't write the entire screenplay on his own, at least being the one to create the concept and have a hand in writing the script. This ensures that his vision forms the entire foundation of the movie, both in how it is written, and how it is visually conveyed. This way, he himself understands all the decisions that resulted in the script being the way it is, and hence he can build the storyboard knowing exactly what sort of movie he wants to make.
I agree with this. In general, the director should always be involved with the storyboard, whether it be heavy oversight (or direction in other words lol) or just drawing it themselves. It's really the most integral piece to an anime episode or film. Maybe this is why some people just sort of think us staff enthusiasts are crazy when we hype up what they (wrongly) see as minor roles like storyboarding -- they don't know how important it is!

It's also worth noting that some directors probably draw their own storyboards out of habit. Mostly Toei people, because (from link above):
Toei Animation is famous for not crediting storyboarders, only episode directors, because their episode directors are all expected to draw their own storyboards. (Not only this, Toei's episode directors are also supposed to take care of the voice recording sessions, something usually handled by the audio director, which perhaps helps account for why so many Toei directors developed into such auteurs.)

Lain

Avatar: The Last Airbender S3 ep 15-21

I happened to find Avatar being broadcast on TV last month, but it was the last few episodes of the third season. I still watched it, not knowing anything about the show except many on this board like it. It was fun, even given my ignorance about the show.
Now I can finally understand the love for certain reaction shots I see posted in the manga thread, as Sokka is a pretty funny guy.
Though, the short watch (and me falling asleep during most of episode 21) had me believing there was some kind of romantic feelings between Zuko and Katara, so the final scene of the last episode played a game with my head.

Anyways, now I need to hope for some quick reruns from the start, since it would seem the show hasn't been published on DVD in Italy.

Defuser

Phi Brain S2 ep10
Goddammit Sunrise, you won't even spare some budget animating a beach episode? Man, Kaito and the gang are fucking sad people to be puzzle addicts.

"It's bigger than your wife" lol

Avatar: The Last Airbender S3 ep 15-21

I happened to find Avatar being broadcast on TV last month, but it was the last few episodes of the third season. I still watched it, not knowing anything about the show except many on this board like it. It was fun, even given my ignorance about the show.
Now I can finally understand the love for certain reaction shots I see posted in the manga thread, as Sokka is a pretty funny guy.

Though, the short watch (and me falling asleep during most of episode 21) had me believing there was some kind of romantic feelings between Zuko and Katara, so the final scene of the last episode played a game with my head.

Anyways, now I need to hope for some quick reruns from the start, since it would seem the show hasn't been published on DVD in Italy.

Fandom Secret, he isn't, really overrated character. That must have been awkward to sit through the final arc without knowing much of anything about the anime. Though probably not really since the entire first season felt like filler and was kind of forgettable except for the final three episodes.

They gave it an Italian dub? Zuko was way more interested in another of the protagonists...

sonicmj1

I have been sort of keeping up to date, but I've started playing video games again. They're taking up my time.

Fate/Zero 23

Oh man this show is totally incredible. Words cannot describe it. I need more.

Hyouka 8

That was a very convincingly-portrayed amateur-hour student movie, from the terrible acting to the lazy shot sequence to the haphazard camera work that seems even less in focus thanks to the CG backgrounds.

This is a nice little mystery. Duckroll's speculation feels right on the mark, but I want to watch it play out.

A lot of new characters showed up in this episode. I wonder how often we'll see them going forward.

Ultimadrago

Mysterious Girlfriend X 10

HyX8f.jpg

"Niiicebody des" indeed, Tsubaki-boy!

Jexhius, you owe me five dollars (euros?).
Tsubaki's middling and overly polite nature lead to this mess.

Also Tsubaki is a fucking creep
he kept a strand of someone's hair in a plastic ball. Send this boy to detention

YZp2v.jpg

"I've almost put my finger in the mouth that you've put your finger in."

Otome Amnesia 10

holy shit. That worked well. Loved the whole 'theater view' the MC had. Was really well done. Shit was quite dark this eps though. Too bad yuuko didn't want to go play football (Rudy joke!). Mining villages are not great.

/XX/

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the-anime-production-line

I agree with this. In general, the director should always be involved with the storyboard, whether it be heavy oversight (or direction in other words lol) or just drawing it themselves. It's really the most integral piece to an anime episode or film. Maybe this is why some people just sort of think us staff enthusiasts are crazy when we hype up what they (wrongly) see as minor roles like storyboarding -- they don't know how important it is!

It's also worth noting that some directors probably draw their own storyboards out of habit. Mostly Toei people, because (from link above):
It is funny seeing explained such a exhaustive and complete method of forming top-level professionals when we also have "amateurs" like Mr. Yamaga saying this:

Hiroyuki Yamaga - FanimeCon 2012: GAINAX Panel | FanimeCon | Conventions said:
When I go to other studios I enjoy figuring out their process on how they work. At GAINAX, it's common for our employees to watch tv and drink beer while on the clock so it surprises me when I see other companies and I say, "Ah! So that's how professionals do it!"
http://t-ono.net/FanimeCon/FanimeCon-2012-GAINAX-Panel.html

I don't even know anymore when this guy is joking, seriously!

survivor

Banned
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 10

God damn, the ending
when Yuuko was trapped and the music changed was so chilling. Great scene. I also love the village thought process. We have a disease that is killing everyone, it must be a curse from building the school on a shrine and we must have a human sacrifice. Quite astounding.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 10

God damn, the ending
when Yuuko was trapped and the music changed was so chilling. Great scene. I also love the village thought process. We have a disease that is killing everyone, it must be a curse from building the school on a shrine and we must have a human sacrifice. Quite astounding.
That's why you should always consult an expert first xD

Reknoc

Inazuma Eleven 2

You'd think that if the entire opposition is writhing in agony on the ground then maybe the referee is not doing his job properly.

Ultimadrago

Eureka Seven AO 9
ibmShOrIwpiQ4d.JPG

Dat bum life.

"Ao, you can't swim? Did you eat some weird fruit?"

Ugh...Come on, son.

The episode was alright. It summed up to,
"Don't trust young Japanese military officers"
and "Ao has new friends now."

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Eureka Seven AO 9

"Ao, you can't swim? Did you eat some weird fruit?"

Ugh...Come on, son.

The episode was alright. It summed up to,
"Don't trust young Japanese military officers"
and "Ao has new friends now."

The Elena hate is making me sad.

Shame on all of you haters.

Lain

Fandom Secret, he isn't, really overrated character. That must have been awkward to sit through the final arc without knowing much of anything about the anime. Though probably not really since the entire first season felt like filler and was kind of forgettable except for the final three episodes.

They gave it an Italian dub? Zuko was way more interested in another of the protagonists...

I can't really comment on Sokka completely, given how little I saw of the whole show, but I found his facial expressions and the situations in which he used them funny and yeah, they gave it an Italian dub (which was nice imho, not that it matters though).

Dresden

http://t-ono.net/FanimeCon/FanimeCon-2012-GAINAX-Panel.html

I don't even know anymore when this guy is joking, seriously!

"Question: What are the high points (not involving Evangelion ) and low points of your career?

Yamaga-san: My high point would have to be forming GAINAX. My low point would have to be right now. I'm hoping to get back up again soon."

I don't think that's going to happen . . .

He should just take another trip to England and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom