• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Inazuma Eleven 4

Man, fuck the Occult High match. There was something a little depressing about seeing a match that took me way too many attempts to beat get done in like 20mins. Lots of bad CG which I'm sure wasn't in the first match. CG "crowds" (it's like, 5 peoples tops), CG balls, CG nets, CG players, CG pitch. I'd say it was the authentic game experience but... that was mostly 2D. Plenty of seeing the exact same special shot animation though, now that's the authentic game experience.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 10

CqwO6.jpg

Well that was definitely emotional. Rather unique way of "possessing a past person". As with the rest of the show, some nice visual touches like with the film.

This covered what has only been hinted at in the manga, so I'm thinking we're moving toward a conclusion that doesn't exist yet. Might be one of the better anime original endings if this is anything to go by.

Steroyd

Dusk Maiden Amnesia - 10

I'm rather impressed in how the show has changed it's tone, yet still remains interesting to watch.

Gravijah

see what i think happened is that the creators sold their souls and now they are infused with the power to create amazing cat based short anime.

i'm like 99% sure this is what happened.

Tales of the Abyss 23
So, the story is almost at the end. I wonder if they'll bring up the whole Tear's pendant thing, since they seemed to make a big deal about it in the first episode. Anyways this episode was jam packed with excitement. The team splits up to do things faster where they end up fighting Largo and Mohs. Oh and Natalia finally learns who her real father is,
it's Largo of course.
And Van reemerges on the scene. In the end They kill both Mohs and Largo and stop the planet storm in order to get into the last dungeon. Next episode seems like just a filler type episode in preparation for the end game of sorts.
vlcsnap-2012-06-10-16x3u0y.png

Are you sure? You don't even have eyeballs anymore.

Articalys

Apparently this happened over the weekend.

ADV Files 3rd-Party Claim in Funimation's Lawsuit
On May 8, A.D. Vision filed a counterclaim and a third-party claim in the lawsuit that Funimation and other plaintiffs filed last November in the district court of Harris County, Texas. The claims are part of the ongoing lawsuit and are not a separate case. The parties named in A.D. Vision's third-party claim include Funimation, FUNimation Productions, LTD., AnimeOnline Ltd., Funimation GP LLC, Anime LP Holdings LLC, Funimation LP LLC, and Funimation CEO Gen Fukunaga.

In the counterclaim and third-party claim, A.D. Vision (ADV) asserts that the case is "the culmination of Funimation's illicit scheme designed to obliterate competition in the market for Japanese anime." ADV also claims that "Funimation is, or is dangerously close to becoming, a monopolist." ADV additionally claims that Funimation's original claims "are a baseless attempt to drive out competition, and Funimation should be held accountable for its actions."

ADV claims, among other things, that Funimation has violated the Federal Sherman Act and the Texas Free Enterprise Act. The company claims that Funimation is "a monopolist in the various downstream [and upstream] markets for Japanese anime" or that it is "attempting to achieve a monopoly" in these markets and "is dangerously close to doing so." ADV additionally claims that Funimation "willfully and intentionally" interfered with the agreement between ADV and ARM Corporation — which was a third party licensing entity jointly owned by Sojitz Corporation and several other companies — and that Fukunaga, Funimation, Sojitz, ARM, and Japan Contents Investments LPS (JCI) "conspired, agreed and otherwise had a meeting of the minds to defraud ADV."
More detals and background at the link.
As someone with near zero legal knowledge, I'd love it if someone could help explain further.

Narag

Lupin III (1971) 9

My initial reaction to this episode is Fujiko is hot in a suit. After that, I think this might be the best out of the first nine episodes so far. The premise involves Lupin stealing some documents but that's ultimately just set up for the biggest prize yet in the show: Fujiko Mine. We're privy to some actual character growth from Lupin via the scene with her in the car and his desperation to get her back later on as he comes to terms with his feelings for her despite the multitude of betrayals he'd endured.

The episode, for lack of a better term, feels dense. It's the standard run time but there's so much information given in a short amount of time it feels far longer than it actually is. That's not a bad thing either and I suppose it's what happens when time isn't wasted on unimportant elements.
Fujiko's decision at the end with Pun was a little more hardcore than I anticipated too. Damn.

The rarest of all creatures nowadays. The nigh extinct hand drawn car.

Some of the longer cuts almost gave the episode a sense of overachieving. Great stuff.

ibpQTF2mzPBEuC.gif

ibxIJCcdK3GAXE.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TO 1 (Elliptical Orbit)

Hmm, that was actually a somewhat interesting story concept (think the terrorists in Planetes) but the execution (most notably the animation during the space battle) was anything but. Watching this with the poorly lip-synced english dub certainly helped "add" to the experience.
i fucking lost it at the revelation that the hot chick was his mum. lmao
Wait, I seem to remember that she was his
daughter
. Wasn't he the one that was on the ship?

Kazzy

After seeing such a comprehensive conversation about the importance of the storyboard on this medium, about Fate/Zero's first episode, and fantastic reviews like the one by Typographenia (for example), posted all with the difference of a mere couple of hours, I can't really complain about anything else. In fact I really like post diversity, with some light-hearted and vivid content to compensate, like the two faces of the coin.

Agreed. There seems to a decent balance which helps me to remain active with the thread, because as a newcomer I'm pretty much filtering (fumbling) through older anime whilst watching one or two current shows.

And quality wouldn't be quality without a little bit of fluff inbetween:

KAKMt.jpg

Lupin III (1971) 9

Some of the longer cuts almost gave the episode a sense of overachieving. Great stuff.

That looks fantastic.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Agreed. There seems to a decent balance which helps me to remain active with the thread, because as a newcomer I'm pretty much filtering (fumbling) through older anime whilst watching one or two current shows.

And quality wouldn't be quality without a little bit of fluff inbetween:

KAKMt.jpg

That looks fantastic.

You can always count on me to recommend good stuff! :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
B7iDhl.jpg

Anime is saved.

3aaUCl.jpg

Or is it?!

Also, I suppose the biggest mystery in Hyouka is who the
senpai the second year girl is talking to on their board
. Dance, indeed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

ADV countersues FUNimation, claims they are an illegal monopoly

The link goes into detail over ADV's reasons for the countersuit.
As someone with near zero legal knowledge, I'd love it if someone could help explain further.

Kind of a bad article. It doesn't explain what ARM is or what its direct relationship to Funimation is, and so it's impossible to fully discern the nature of ADV's accusations without knowing what exactly this ARM entity is.

Midori Days 10
2ZTbw.gif

This is not our hero, maybe.
A very disjointed episode. Sure, the main focus was on Kouta, Midori's childhood friend and all the backstory about Midori that comes with him. That part was pretty fine and gives a pretty big contrast to present day genkei Midori we all know and love.
The whole karaoke scene with Ayase felt out of place and pretty boring too. So boo to that.

cajunator

Banned
Space Bros 11

How does he know? HOW DOES HE KNOWWWWWW?????

Damn I love this show so much.
This portion is starting to remind me of Planetes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Smile Precure 18

geIpH.jpg

Favoritism!

Although this was ostensibly a Nao episode, it was secretly another Yayoi episode.
DdysB.jpg

Surprised Yayoi~

This time, the Precure must team up to win the relay race! When doing a sports event in an anime or movie or really any sort of media, there's really only 2 ways to do it: either the protagonists surmount the odds and win the victory to the surprise of everyone, or they valiantly struggle and lose, but win the respect of everyone. This episode opted for
losing heroically. Yayoi must face her demons, and Nao realizes that even if she says winning doesn't matter, she actually thought it did.

xPTZp.jpg

Determined Yayoi~

The Akanbe fight this time was pretty boring, especially since it wasn't the focus of the episode at all. Anyway, it's another Yayoi episode next time, apparently featuring
time travel back to when Yayoi was littler and even more moeblob.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

hn1UX.jpg

Depressed Nao~

ADV Files 3rd-Party Claim in Funimation's Lawsuit

More detals and background at the link.
It wouldn't surprise me if Funimation has done some shady things. Of course I doubt ADV is completely clean either.
There's a new promo video out for the "K" anime project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzOSZVtMWsU

Now if only I knew what the fuck this was actually about.
DTL and cosmicblizzard are going to eat this up.
Thanks.

Midori Days 11
8Hgvb.gif

I can somewhat see where the anime will go and I'm pretty much ok with it.
It's pretty nice to see Midori's growth from quiet stalker to someone who proudly shows her love. Too bad Seiji is as dense as a doorknob when it comes to girls affection. Good old male protags.

Aquarion Evol 23

Huh, that... kind of changes things. This actually retroactively affects original Aquarion as well. I mean we've known that
Apollo wasn't the reincarnation of Apollonius since the original, but still...
I do like that they're addressing all the loose threads 7 years later, especially in regards to Fudo.

And damn,
Shrade going out like a boss :(

Lupin III (1971) 9

My initial reaction to this episode is Fujiko is hot in a suit. After that, I think this might be the best out of the first nine episodes so far. The premise involves Lupin stealing some documents but that's ultimately just set up for the biggest prize yet in the show: Fujiko Mine. We're privy to some actual character growth from Lupin via the scene with her in the car and his desperation to get her back later on as he comes to terms with his feelings for her despite the multitude of betrayals he'd endured.

The episode, for lack of a better term, feels dense. It's the standard run time but there's so much information given in a short amount of time it feels far longer than it actually is. That's not a bad thing either and I suppose it's what happens when time isn't wasted on unimportant elements.
Fujiko's decision at the end with Pun was a little more hardcore than I anticipated too. Damn.

The rarest of all creatures nowadays. The nigh extinct hand drawn car.

ibpQTF2mzPBEuC.gif

ibxIJCcdK3GAXE.gif
This episode and 4 are my top favorite Osumi episodes, the former being the ideal Osumi story and this episode being the most outrageous Osumi episode overall. I think this episode's my main favorite, though, because of the sakuga within and its character development.

Only one Osumi episode left to go, though. Rest is Miyahata stuff.

Solune

see what i think happened is that the creators sold their souls and now they are infused with the power to create amazing cat based short anime.

i'm like 99% sure this is what happened.

So you're saying more people need to sell their souls to... anime

wonzo

Banned
Wait, I seem to remember that she was his
daughter
. Wasn't he the one that was on the ship?
nah,
he definitely calls her his mother at the end (well, he does in the dub so whether or not they changed it i can't say) and there's a flashback scene towards the end where a schoolboy who looks like the MC watches the flying dutchman launch for the first time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
nah,
he definitely calls her his mother at the end (well, he does in the dub so whether or not they changed it i can't say) and there's a flashback scene towards the end where a schoolboy who looks like the MC watches the flying dutchman launch for the first time.
Oh right, she was the captain of the ship then?

Well, whoever was on the ship has to be the parent, because that's just how that works. lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
MAHOU PONI TWILIGHT-CHAN 3

So the Princess sends Twilight 2 tickets for the Grand Galloping Gala! Of course, the rest of the Mahou Ponies all want that second ticket, so they all try to convince Twilight they deserve it. Rainbow Dash wants to show off her flying skills, Rarity wants to meet her true love~, Pinky Pie wants to.. uhh.... do frivolous things, and Fluttershy wants to visit the botanical gardens.

Of course, poor Twilight-tan is torn. How can she possibly decide who to choose? So with the power of FRIENDSHIP, after a wacky chase scene, she visits Wanka and gets 4 more golden tickets! Happy end for everyone!

MAHOU PONI TWILIGHT-CHAN 3

So the Princess sends Twilight 2 tickets for the Grand Galloping Gala! Of course, the rest of the Mahou Ponies all want that second ticket, so they all try to convince Twilight they deserve it. Rainbow Dash wants to show off her flying skills, Rarity wants to meet her true love~, Pinky Pie wants to.. uhh.... do frivolous things, and Fluttershy wants to visit the botanical gardens.

Of course, poor Twilight-tan is torn. How can she possibly decide who to choose? So with the power of FRIENDSHIP, after a wacky chase scene, she visits Wanka and gets 4 more golden tickets! Happy end for everyone!
Now you know why she is called Trollestia.

Midori Days 12
2ErJZ.gif

Cause after regaining your right hand, this is the first thing you'll do.
Pretty meh episode, I mean it's great for the great build up of what's coming up but I felt that it took too long for Seiji to realize he misses Midori. I'm more excited just to see the finale now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom