• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

So it sounds like ADV did something sort of shady, but Funimation is doing something far shadier.

What ADV was doing was splitting its assets to try and avoid having to repay ARM [or, in this case, Funimation].

What Funimation did was say "ADV's debt to ARM, you now owe to us" as part of their licencing agreement.

What ADV is alleging is that this is part of Funimation's plan to create a monopoly on western anime releases.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fresh Precure! 05:

8xam5l.jpg

This was, sadly, not the music played during this scene.

Fresh Precure is progressive for a mahou shoujo. The girls actually go on dates! Love, meddlesome matchmaker that she is, convinces Miki to go on a date with some boy who's way way way below her league as part of a group date to the amusement park. Antics ensue, the girls have to hide their Precure identities while tending to their boyfriend-for-a-day, etc.

The one highlight of the episode was the Nakewameke battle, which continued an unbroken string of MotW battles with really creative action. Peach and co. use more unconventional thinking to defeat enemies than any other Precure series exhibits, often having to analyze how enemy powers work and develop plans on the fly to use the individual properties of enemies against them. In this episode, a stuffed panda ride for small children was transformed into a monstrous giant version of itself, and instead of beating the shit out of it + magical plastic toy finisher as one would expect, Berry and Pine lured it to the pool at the amusement park while Peach slammed a raft ride into it from behind, causing it to fall into the pool and absorb water into its fur until it could no longer support its own weight. It's really a cut above in creativity compared to other Precure series, even if the action itself is usually weak.

Also, the episode ends with
incest NTR
when
Miki dumps her date for her own brother!
That might be getting too progressive.

Fresh Precure! 06:

This is Soular. He's a perfect example of a villain that has potentially terrifying power but lacks the brains to properly apply it. He claims to be a tricksier hobbit than the other servants of Moebius and at least has the wisdom to intentionally choose specific objects to turn into Nakewameke based on their presumed powers rather than simply transforming the nearest object on a whim, but the object that he chose to transform in this episode basically provided him with a WIN button and he didn't once think to actually use it.
He transforms a chalkboard into a Nakewameke, which, in turn, has the power to erase things from reality. HE NEVER USES THE CHALKBOARD TO ERASE THE PRECURE

Instead, these are (in Soular's mind) the three things most likely to cause despair if
erased from existence
:

1. Steak
2. Video Games
3. Mothers

RFRYll.jpg

Disappearing steak: not just for Ojamajo Doremi anymore

The episode veered into pretty dark territory once
Love's mom vanished into thin air and kids all over town were freaking out at the disappearance of their own mothers
. Furthermore, there was finally, FINALLY a Nakewameke fight that didn't look like ass on a purely animation level. In fact, it was actually a really, really nicely-animated fight that employed a lot of fluid shifting to different camera angles and great motion. If we get a battle that looks like this every once in a while, I'll be satisfied.

Fresh Precure! 07:

Meet Higashi Setsuna aka. Eas aka. 1000000000000000% chance of eventually being the fourth Precure. She's in the role of "enemy/neutral party with a connection to the plot that hangs around the main cast" a la
Siren
in Suite and
Tsukikage Yuri
in Heartcatch.

It was a pretty uneventful episode that primarily served to establish a relationship between Setsuna and Love, but at least it had another creative Nakewameke fight, this time
a clock that could freeze time and had to be defeated by finding a way to jam its pendulum

As a general note for all of these episodes, wonzo would love watching this series just for the amount of QUALITY faces:

As usual, it's a fun series, but it can be pretty ugly at times.

Jintor

Oh, that's very interesting. The right to recover the debt was an amendment to the original Funimation/ARM agreement. Not really important as such except that ADV claims to have never seen documented proof of Funimation's acquired right to recovery until the first court case.

On Funimation's part, they're saying that given that ADV was in litigation by the time they acquired the right to recovery, they never bothered collecting on it because they though ADV was going to collapse. When it became clear that they weren't, they made a call to ADV to collect but ADV said they were filing for bankruptcy.

From here, ADV created shell companies and sold them the assets (essentially, they sold the assets to themselves, I think) and then ceased doing business without actualy filing bankruptcy and without informing Funimation.

Funimation alleges this was done to avoid the debt repayment as a direct result of Funimation informing ADV that they now held the 'right to recover'. ADV is saying they never had any direct proof of Funimation holding the 'right to recover' until the court dates, and further, that this is a Funimation tactic of intimidation to try and get that market monopoly.

Mmm. Should be interesting to see play out.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 01
And, here we go!
Back ages ago, KyoAni had another I hate everything boy named Kyon and his wild adventures with a girl not named Eru but instead Haruhi. So, yes, the show looks nice. Kyon talks so much in this episode, narrating everything for our benefit maybe?

This definitely sets things up much better than what I originally saw of this show when it first air and had that funky broadcast vs chronological order mess. Characters are introduced, the SOS club is set up and the mysteries of Haruhi are slowly being brought out.

Also, yeah, I'll probably watch all of Endless Eight. No, I don't hate myself (that much).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What ADV is alleging is that this is part of Funimation's plan to create a monopoly on western anime releases.

So is it really an intentional monopoly if the reason that Funimation is the only major distributor left in the market is due to market decline and the incompetence and poor decision-making of every other company? I know that ADV is claiming that Funimation is willfully trying to put their remnants (Sentai, Section 23, whoever else) out of business by attempting to claim debts that they have no right to claim, but if the countersuit doesn't pan out for ADV, Funi's lawsuit is successful, and the final vestiges of ADV vanish entirely, is Funimation still in any legal danger due to being the default monopoly in the market even if they've been judged not to have any involvement in the collapse of their competitors?

Jintor

So is it really an intentional monopoly if the reason that Funimation is the only major distributor left in the market is due to market decline and the incompetence and poor decision-making of every other company? I know that ADV is claiming that Funimation is willfully trying to put their remnants (Sentai, Section 23, whoever else) out of business by attempting to claim debts that they have no right to claim, but if the countersuit doesn't pan out for ADV, Funi's lawsuit is successful, and the final vestiges of ADV vanish entirely, is Funimation still in any legal danger due to being the default monopoly in the market even if they've been judged not to have any involvement in the collapse of their competitors?

I personally think ADV's case is pretty weak on that front. But in your hypothetical scenario, I can't see Funimation in danger from simply emerging victorious. The Sherman Antitrust Act only criminalises deliberate attempts to create a monopoly. A monopoly that arises purely because one company performs better in the marketplace than another is completely valid.

If a tree falls down in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fucking plebs stomping on the rights of artistes.

Sincerest form of flattery etc etc.

Apparently some people really know their stock Megami magazine pinup art.

I personally think ADV's case is pretty weak on that front. But in your hypothetical scenario, I can't see Funimation in danger from simply emerging victorious. The Sherman Antitrust Act only criminalises deliberate attempts to create a monopoly. A monopoly that arises purely because one company performs better in the marketplace than another is completely valid.

Ah, that's handy info. You've definitely done your homework on American antitrust law!

ZetaEpyon

I'm curious - what is the bonus anyway? I saw that they added something to my order but it doesn't really say what it is.

Not sure, but they must have run out. There's a line on my packing list for "MADOKA MAGICA 3 - ATTACHMENT CANCELED", and there was nothing else in the box other than the usual promo cards and a pad of RightStuf post-it notes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not sure, but they must have run out. There's a line on my packing list for "MADOKA MAGICA 3 - ATTACHMENT CANCELED", and there was nothing else in the box other than the usual promo cards and a pad of RightStuf post-it notes.
Yeah, I got that too. :(
But I had stuff from the first two volumes. They just shipped, so I have no idea what was included with those.

Kimi to Boku 2 ep 11
tumblr_m5gx3zrUsl1r3ucdro2_500.gif

Best episode of the season. My favorite side school character, Matsushita and his admiration for his manga senpai, Yuki was so great. So sincere and hilarious. The volleyball was amazing, kind of makes me wish for a volleyball anime. But Yuki, Chizuru, Shun had me laughing so much and then Yuki's smirk there.

Though Mary would finally be gone but now, I guess she isnt falling for Matsushita, but at least she is getting friends so she can leave the plot. Matsushita's jumping was hilarious

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I remember when we used to talk about smut.

Now it's all just cult propaganda.
I'll help.
Nyaruko-san 10
fwdUq.jpg

This show is mostly awful, but it revels in its complete lack of subtlety and it all kind of turns into something enjoyable. The
tenctacle monster
was surprisingly chaste.

Jintor

Ah, that's handy info. You've definitely done your homework on American antitrust law!

I'll be honest, I just glanced through a few summaries and the Wikipedia entry. If I was doing full-scale legal research I'd be a bit more thorough, but I have a more localised research paper to complete in the next three days...

Dresden

Btoooom was doomed from the start. It'll never get anything similar to that hirao boob bullet time scene. (Which we all know redefined anime as we know it.)

Wiseblade

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 01

And, here we go!
Back ages ago, KyoAni had another I hate everything boy named Kyon and his wild adventures with a girl not named Eru but instead Haruhi. So, yes, the show looks nice. Kyon talks so much in this episode, narrating everything for our benefit maybe?

This definitely sets things up much better than what I originally saw of this show when it first air and had that funky broadcast vs chronological order mess. Characters are introduced, the SOS club is set up and the mysteries of Haruhi are slowly being brought out.

Also, yeah, I'll probably watch all of Endless Eight. No, I don't hate myself (that much).

I enjoyed this show, it's definitely orders of magnitude better than a certain other KyoAni show. And watching in chronological/DVD order is definitely the best method. I can only imagine the JP airing order was some ill thought attempt to be "quirky".

I actually prefer the English dub for the show. Kyon's VA nailed the character IMO.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 02
I really don't remember things happening so quickly.
I mean, the show is already starting to reveal the truth about
Haruhi and Yuki
so good for it. Still haven't hit new territory yet, Kyon still talks alot and it still looks good.

Kagami

MGX 10
Noooooooooooooo you fool!

Need next episode NOW!

Played him like a cheap violin.

Also, good to know they can at least bond over stalkerish tendencies! Unless she was lying.
The scene of her completely washing off the bruise shows she's lying.

Saki 9
I think I understand how Marvel fanboys feel about the Avengers movie now.
QywEQl.jpg
Haha, that's probably a good way to put it.
It was certainly cool to finally see Teru in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom