• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi

Overlong, bloated, poorly paced, and mostly infuriating. There are some interesting concepts they play around with in the story, but the scenario is so stretched out that it becomes very hard to stay interested for long. It should really have been a 90min movie with most of the drawn out monologues and fat trimmed. Kyon is a boring character, and no one really sympathizes with him, so having him go on and on about shit which is obvious to the audience is just a waste of time.

There are some nice moments in the movie, like when Kyon finally finds Haruhi, and a lot of the Nagato moments are great too, but they're all buried between huge piles of boring and meaningless shit. There's really very little purpose in the stretched pace for this movie, stories like this benefit a lot more from having a brisk pace and keeping the audience guessing as things develop and change. Instead here the "twist" becomes rather obvious halfway through the movie, and yet it continues to draw itself out for so much longer.

Another distracting aspect are the CG backgrounds when used in many of the close-ups in the school scenes. I'm not sure why, but there's something off about the compositing where the lighting and reflections always look wrong when they're used in close-ups, like when the camera is showing someone's feet downing up or down some stairs, or there is camera work in close-ups of the ceiling or floor. It just looks bad.

I think the scenario would probably have made a pretty good 3 episode arc in a TV series, but as a 2 hour 42 minute movie, it's just draggy and annoying to watch. :/

Bonus:
If the movie actually ended with Kyon bleeding to death and the world stuck the way it was anyway, without Haruhi's powers or any aliens, time travelers, or ESPs, then it would be the best movie of all time.

Articalys

Early notes on this week's sales data:

Temporal Spring 2012 Rankings (first volume)
*3,192 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]
*2,967 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]
*2,008 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]

Meanwhile, Gundam Unicorn OVA 5 seems to have sold 99,162 BD and 46,287 DVD, for a total of 145,449.

Overlong, bloated, poorly paced, and mostly infuriating. There are some interesting concepts they play around with in the story, but the scenario is so stretched out that it becomes very hard to stay interested for long. It should really have been a 90min movie with most of the drawn out monologues and fat trimmed. Kyon is a boring character, and no one really sympathizes with him, so having him go on and on about shit which is obvious to the audience is just a waste of time.

There are some nice moments in the movie, like when Kyon finally finds Haruhi, and a lot of the Nagato moments are great too, but they're all buried between huge piles of boring and meaningless shit. There's really very little purpose in the stretched pace for this movie, stories like this benefit a lot more from having a brisk pace and keeping the audience guessing as things develop and change. Instead here the "twist" becomes rather obvious halfway through the movie, and yet it continues to draw itself out for so much longer.

Another distracting aspect are the CG backgrounds when used in many of the close-ups in the school scenes. I'm not sure why, but there's something off about the compositing where the lighting and reflections always look wrong when they're used in close-ups, like when the camera is showing someone's feet downing up or down some stairs, or there is camera work in close-ups of the ceiling or floor. It just looks bad.

I think the scenario would probably have made a pretty good 3 episode arc in a TV series, but as a 2 hour 42 minute movie, it's just draggy and annoying to watch. :/

Bonus:
If the movie actually ended with Kyon bleeding to death and the world stuck the way it was anyway, without Haruhi's powers or any aliens, time travelers, or ESPs, then it would be the best movie of all time.
Damn, is it one of the longest anime movies ever? Must have had one hell of a budget.

wonzo

Banned

Meanwhile, Gundam Unicorn OVA 5 seems to have sold 99,162 BD and 46,287 DVD, for a total of 145,449.
comeherelol.gif

duckroll

If they had done a three episode arc with that god-tier animation that would still have been acceptable.

I don't even find the majority of animation in the movie god-tier. To be honest, a lot of the stuff in Hyouka are as good or better than the best of the Haruhi movie.

Soma

Bonus:

Replace Haruhi with Kyon and I'd agree with you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 19:

This is one of the finest Precure episodes, period. I don't want to ruin too much of it for those of you who are watching, but staff bias for Yayoi is in effect x100000000. It's a very moody, subdued, and genuinely heartfelt episode and I was really, really impressed the entire way through. The direction, art, sound, and animation are just an enormous cut above this week. For a small taste, just look at these establishing shots:

Yes, this is a Precure episode. There's an interesting repetition of various background shots in the episode that ends up being used in the most amazing way at the end. There's a heavy emphasis on imagery involving rain, and outside of transformation/battle there's a really minimal use of music this episode, with most scenes either silent or filled with the sound of rain.

The need for an Akanbe battle kind of hurt the episode, but this battle was the best yet and was finally a battle that broke out into full sakuga territory. Unfortunately, my gif software isn't cooperating with me, but for those watching, you'll undoubtedly be impressed. Everything about it is seriously top-notch.

Just, wow.

duckroll

Of course, Hyouka also has much better character designs.

Yeah, this is definitely true. There's something extremely appealing about the Hyouka character designs. There's an extra dimension to their bodies and faces, in a chubby and lovable sort of way. You just want to pinch their cheeks because they're sooooo cute.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I hope that the fact that Kaneko is going to be foraging for food out of dumpsters doesn't impede his creativity in future episodes.

Articalys

Ah, here we go. Full weekly Blu-ray & CD rankings for June 4-10:

Blu-ray
*1, 99,162 99,162 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5
*2, *6,516 *6,516 Mouretsu Pirates vol.4 Limited Edition
*3, *3,631 *3,631 Amagami SS+ plus vol.3
*4, *2,464 *2,464 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.4
*5, *1,399 49,480 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*6, *1,368 *1,368 Acchi Kocchi vol.1
*7, *1,366 19,850 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*8, **,930 **,930 Sengoku Collection vol.1
*9, **,804 18,754 Persona 4 The Animation vol.7 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 46,287 *,*46,287 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5
*2, *2,472 *,**2,472 One Piece 14th Season vol.9
*3, *2,037 *,**2,037 Sengoku Collection vol.1
*4, *1,073 *,**1,073 Naruto: Shippuuden Senjo no Paradise Life vol.4
*5, *1,030 *,**1,030 Amagami SS+ plus vol.3
*6, **,938 *,**8,731 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*7, **,766 1,138,952 My Neighbor Totoro
*8, **,640 *,***,640 Acchi Kocchi vol.1
*9. **,494 *,***,494 Fairy Tail vol.29
10, **,491 *,***,491 Jewelpet Sunshine DVD Box vol.3
11, **,489 *,**3,031 Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago
12, **,469 *,*11,995 Gintama' vol.11 Limited Edition
13, **,385 *,**1,150 Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou vol.3 Limited Edition
14, **,355 *,***,673 Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game
15, **,347 *,***,347 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.3
16, **,293 *,***,293 Kill Me Baby vol.4
17, **,291 *,***,291 Mouretsu Pirates vol.7
18, **,281 *,**4,159 Sore Ike! Anpanman Ongakukan

Single CD
*3. 52,974 52,974 Blood-C: The Last Dark "Metro Baroque"
*9, *8,043 *8,043 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn "Broken Mirror"
12, *6,705 *6,705 Kimi to Boku. 2 "Zutto"
23, *3,768 *3,768 Jormungand "Ambivalent Idea"
32, *2,573 33,038 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san "Taiyo iwaku Moeyo Chaos"
35, *2,278 *9,853 Jormungand "Borderland"
44, *1,658 *1,658 New Prince of Tennis "Koi Mabataki"
46, *1,628 15,503 Yuru Yuri ♪♪ Duet Song "Koi no Double Punch"
50, *1,537 *1,537 Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal "Tamashii Drive"

wonzo

Banned
Smile PreCure! 19

these past few episodes have been rather sad but not as sad as having to wait two weeks for the next one :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The UK has dedicated sports channels, but that doesn't stop them from delaying shows because of sport.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
ibr2CcHiJhouKX.gif

I complained so much about Nichijou, but looking back, there may have been a lot of boring skits, but the great episodes were great.

Taking the series as a whole, there were plenty of good skits, they were just surrounded by even more not so good ones, and scattered throughout the show.

Defuser

Blu-ray
*3, *3,631 *3,631 Amagami SS+ plus vol.3
*4, *2,464 *2,464 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.4
*5, *1,399 49,480 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*6, *1,368 *1,368 Acchi Kocchi vol.1

DVD
*5, *1,030 *,**1,030 Amagami SS+ plus vol.3
*7, **,766 1,138,952 My Neighbor Totoro
*8, **,640 *,***,640 Acchi Kocchi vol.1
10, **,491 *,***,491 Jewelpet Sunshine DVD Box vol.3
11, **,489 *,**3,031 Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago
12, **,469 *,*11,995 Gintama' vol.11 Limited Edition
14, **,355 *,***,673 Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game
15, **,347 *,***,347 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.3
16, **,293 *,***,293 Kill Me Baby vol.4
18, **,281 *,**4,159 Sore Ike! Anpanman Ongakukan

Single CD
*3. 52,974 52,974 Blood-C: The Last Dark "Metro Baroque"
*9, *8,043 *8,043 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn "Broken Mirror"
12, *6,705 *6,705 Kimi to Boku. 2 "Zutto"
23, *3,768 *3,768 Jormungand "Ambivalent Idea"
32, *2,573 33,038 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san "Taiyo iwaku Moeyo Chaos"
44, *1,658 *1,658 New Prince of Tennis "Koi Mabataki"
46, *1,628 15,503 Yuru Yuri ♪♪ Duet Song "Koi no Double Punch"
50, *1,537 *1,537 Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal "Tamashii Drive"

Wow @ Unicorn sales. I can't believe Unicorn is keeping Gundam AGE alive.

Kagami

Blu-ray
Pirates still truckin' along.

Gruier gets the cover this time:

33KcJ.jpg

This one has a another soundtrack & audio drama CD, like vol. 1.

Yeah, this is definitely true. There's something extremely appealing about the Hyouka character designs. There's an extra dimension to their bodies and faces, in a chubby and lovable sort of way. You just want to pinch their cheeks because they're sooooo cute.

Awww duckroll is a K-on fan!

Theonik

HeartCatch PreCure 06
Erika's father is sort of hilarious, this episode had
a camera moster and we now learn that the bottlecaps the annoying fairies poop out have other uses as well! Wonderif there's any penalty for doing that
The CG Precure ED's are certainly... something. By this time I have watched them enough that I longer think they're creepy. :p

The 3 desert generals are all quite good, certainly better than the ones from Smile and Suite Precure. I think Kumojacky is my favorite, though Cobraja is a pretty close contender.

And yes, Erika is the best precure!
I have only seen enough of Sassorina so far to rank them she definitely has her moments. Both Kumojacky and Cobraja have potential though.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
HeartCatch PreCure 06
Erika's father is sort of hilarious, this episode had
a camera moster and we now learn that the bottlecaps the annoying fairies poop out have other uses as well! Wonderif there's any penalty for doing that

I have only seen enough of Sassorina so far to rank them she definitely has her moments. Both Kumojacky and Cobraja have potential though.

there's no penalty for using the heartseeds as power up items, they don't do it too often though.

I like Sassorina as well, but she just doesn't have the hotbloodedness of Kumojacky or the fabulousness of Cobraja.

cajunator

Banned
Bodacious Space Pirates 23

Only The Legendary Chef could hope to unite all the pirates once again against a common threat! dat ririka

Chiaki and Chiaki are the best parts of this show. A joy to watch.

This has been on my list since I saw it!

The more I see of this Elena Peoples, the more I want to watch AO.

Best part of AO easily.

Pirates still truckin' along.

Gruier gets the cover this time:

33KcJ.jpg

This one has a another soundtrack & audio drama CD, like vol. 1.

You know, one of my drivers is fluent in seven languages and was in Special Forces. He told me that learning a new language is a matter of immersing yourself in it. It might be worth it so I can import the cool stuff, because I am getting MIGHTY jealous of all the extra swag in Japanese releases. US just isnt cutting it :(

Novid

Banned
Chiaki and Chiaki are the best parts of this show. A joy to watch.

This has been on my list since I saw it!

Best part of AO easily.

You know, one of my drivers is fluent in seven languages and was in Special Forces. He told me that learning a new language is a matter of immersing yourself in it. It might be worth it so I can import the cool stuff, because I am getting MIGHTY jealous of all the extra swag in Japanese releases. US just isnt cutting it :(

US isnt cutting it because there is no money in it unless your in insurance.

cajunator

Banned
US isnt cutting it because there is no money in it unless your in insurance.

It used to. Us companies used to release anime with all sorts of goodies. Tshirts, wallscrolls, posters, postcards, figurines, keychains, paper models, you name it. Gone are those days :(

duckroll

Kyoto Animation has updated the Hyouka site with entries for episode 10 and 11. I saw a spoiler warning on the Japanese blogs, so I didn't read the details, but apparently we're in a 4-part story arc from ep8-11. Sounds fun! :D

Articalys

Kyoto Animation has updated the Hyouka site with entries for episode 10 and 11. I saw a spoiler warning on the Japanese blogs, so I didn't read the details, but apparently we're in a 4-part story arc from ep8-11. Sounds fun! :D
Sounds like this'll be all of novel 2 then. Looking forward to it.

TO 2 END (Symbiotic Planet)
I can't say I cared all that much for the story in this one. Fortunately the rather... erm, "interesting" CG managed to make up for it. Any fan of Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker would be doing themselves a disservice by not watching this, considering it even has a cameo appearance by one of the mages!.

Now all that's left is Vexille and then I'd have seen everything from Oxybot. Hopefully they get picked to produce the Mass Effect anime.

Ah maybe I will check it out, thanks.

Also, Production IG is doing Mass Effect: The Vega Chronicles (or whatever :p) animu, so no luck there.

Ah that is soon, funi has already started sharing concept arts.

Blu-ray

DVD

Single CD

Nice Fairy Tail actually charts. I wonder if they get more sales of these long running on disc in the US than in JPN. Some reason I always just vision like at most 2500 people here buying the sets for these series, if only we got sales datas.

Sengoku charting is so odd, that shouldn't be possible, and gundam...poor Age.

Novid

Banned
It used to. Us companies used to release anime with all sorts of goodies. Tshirts, wallscrolls, posters, postcards, figurines, keychains, paper models, you name it. Gone are those days :(

That was 80% of the business. No Leadership, Too Much Bitching about 4Kids, and that NTR they couldent get from American Media (because what, Kim K was too much of a slut?) lead to its demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom