• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I didn't say it was bad! I just feed on Un-Go impressions. I was... designed this way. :D

I think that the term we use instead of "bad" around here is "thought-provokingly not good". Really, there aren't a lot of shows that can be described that way. Watching Un-Go was neither enjoyable nor painful, but merely ponderous.

Dresden

tsuritama - 04~05

I really love this show. Everything just works.

Animation isn't spectacular or anything, but there are some great moments here and there to liven things up. The art is amazing, though--the colors are vibrant but never garish, and the backgrounds are always gorgeous with subtle changes between different settings. It's nice to note that when things need to look worn, they are indeed worn. Just a lot of good care that went into them, which holds for the show in general. The character designs are all appealing and fluid, and it's a pleasure seeing them in motion.

PZT1Xl.jpg

It's been fun to watch the cast develop, as well. With its languid pace (especially compared to the ride that is Apollon) and the consistency in direction and characterization, it's just been . . . fun. Apparently episode six is MEGA UBER HYPE so I'm looking forward to that one.

duckroll

I think that the term we use instead of "bad" around here is "thought-provokingly not good". Really, there aren't a lot of shows that can be described that way. Watching Un-Go was neither enjoyable nor painful, but merely ponderous.

Sounds like how I would describe Prometheus. Maybe Aikawa is the Lindelof of anime after all!

Acchi Kocchi 2:

Based on my calculations, I have now exceeded what I call the Cute Threshold, the point at which I have experienced all the cute I can safely experience in one day. I'm going to have to take it slowly catching up with this show. There is too much cute here for me to handle all at once.

Also:

ak_tm1.gif

Branduil

I'm really disappointed at you for missing the chance to term it "thought-provokingly un-good."

Ultimadrago

Oniisama e... 30

Man, these past few episodes had some intense moments. This show's elements have grown on me rather nicely (albeit, it took a bit of time). Miya's imposing disposition, Nanako's growth and
*clickclickclickclick*
have all been enjoyable highlights for me. I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm really disappointed at you for missing the chance to term it "thought-provokingly un-good."

When I lurked before my account was approved, I saw everyone else call the show Un-Good so I didn't want to pretend that I thought of it on my own!

Hidamari Sketch 1

There's not much to say about this besides it being a pleasant, relaxing watch. The cast has good chemistry with each other, so watching their interactions is enjoyable, if not super-compelling. It's certainly "Shaft" in its low-budget direction style, but it's pretty low-key Shaft. The art school setting allows them to get away with some of their quirks, such as using photographed objects when the main plot (if you can really call it that) is about making collages. The eyecatches are much more fitting with Hidamari's tone than they were in Soredemo Machi.

I always like it when the Japanese make fun of themselves for their poor English.

Dresden

tsuritama - 06

:3

j3awHl.jpg

That was good. Liked how the pace picked up after the eycatch, the sense of speed increasing, rapid, frenetic cuts, culminating with the confrontation and the shipwreck. Catching the tuna wasn't as cathartic as some of the other hurdles Yuki has faced thus far, but what came after--the reunion with BroCapt, among others, and the return of Keito--was touching stuff. Just a damn good episode overall.

Branduil

Hidamari Sketch 1

There's not much to say about this besides it being a pleasant, relaxing watch. The cast has good chemistry with each other, so watching their interactions is enjoyable, if not super-compelling. It's certainly "Shaft" in its low-budget direction style, but it's pretty low-key Shaft. The art school setting allows them to get away with some of their quirks, such as using photographed objects when the main plot (if you can really call it that) is about making collages. The eyecatches are much more fitting with Hidamari's tone than they were in Soredemo Machi.

This is something I've talked about before... Hidamari Sketch may be the show where the SHAFTisms feels the most natural, due to both the setting and the naturally disjointed flow. It becomes more like an organic outworking of the show's quirks rather than SHAFT directing slathered artificially on top of a conventional story.

Jex

I don't remember anyone ever solely blaming Elena for E7AO's problems. Plenty have argued that she's a shit character, but most if not all of those people also have problems with the narrative, pacing, and editing.

I think the problem is, there's not one single factor that makes Eureka Seven AO a problematic series. As you and I pointed out, it's really a combination of factors. However, when you simply sit down to watch an episode you might not notice how all these different factors come together to cause problems for the show but you will definitely notice how Elena is a stupid fanservice character for otaku.

duckroll

I don't really find Eureka Seven AO to be a problematic series though. It does what it wants to do pretty well, and is largely consistent. It's not super amazing or anything outside of the first two episodes, but it's enjoyable enough.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Spoken like a true romansu bandwagoner, always rooting for the winners! Be a man and cheer for the friendzoned, the childhood friends!
The losers are losers because they make themselves losers. I mean, the winners hug their targets out of the blue and drop sexual innuendo like nobody's business!

That fucking sucks because I'm lmao watching this. Funny as shit, especially that weird kid. I'm gonna watch ep 3 now but I'm enjoying it a lot. Why the hell wasn't it more popular or whatever to get more seasons. Oh well.
My understanding is that the manga was cancelled/had to end prematurely. But given how it all wraps up, it probably ended at a good time.
(Although, it has been a while, and honestly all I remember is the ending).

Uchip

Banned
I don't really find Eureka Seven AO to be a problematic series though. It does what it wants to do pretty well, and is largely consistent. It's not super amazing or anything outside of the first two episodes, but it's enjoyable enough.

Maybe they shouldn't have called it Eureka 7 though

So it's just like the original series. ;)

Jex

I don't even know what it wants to do.
And we are comparing Shou Aikawa and Damon Lindelof because...?
Well, you know how Damon Lindelof is a master of creating these worlds and situations that are dripping with mysteries just below the surface that you really want to explore? Shou Aikawa has lots of mysteries in his works too, except that you don't really care if they're explored or not.

Well, you know how Damon Lindelof is a master of creating these worlds and situations that are dripping with mysteries just below the surface that you really want to explore? Shou Aikawa has lots of mysteries in his works too, except that you don't really care if they're explored or not.

After Lost, I don't really care to see Lindelof's mysteries explored.

Jex

I've read part of 2001 Nights the manga (one of the best Clarkian sci-fi graphic novels I've ever read—so worth my time), and I've heard about the anime adaptation. What'd you think of it, Jex? I heard that Kanada was involved in its production?

It's not especially well directed or well made but I enjoyed it. I can't really say how good it is, objectively, because I am quite a big fan of the 2001 Nights manga which probably taints my opinion.
Duckroll can't blackmail me. I'm watching this of my own free will =\

That's what they all think.

Due to my being held up for a month playing Tera, I've only JUST NOW started this season, which is almost over. Oh well.

Acchi Kocchi 1:

Is there a cute level above infinity? I think I just tried to measure Tsumiki's cute level and destroyed all existing measurement devices. I'm a sucker for slice-of-life stuff like this. Plus Tsumiki is cute beyond human imagination. Dat Side Ahoge.

iuEBizhXkZaFQ.gif

Welcome to the family.

Jex

Un-Go Episode 0: Inga-ron can't remedy the series' extremely confusing editing or the quality of the narratives themselves, but my viewing experience would have been significantly improved had I begun the series with an understanding of the backstory, character relationships, and motivations of all major characters. It was really a very terrible decision on Bones' part not to include these very basic and vital details in the show itself, not to mention the mockery of
putting characters in the OP and ED of the show that ONLY EXIST IN THE FILM
. Ridiculous.

I don't know about that. It really wouldn't be an Un-Go0 experience if you actually knew the point of what anything was.

Jex

Hmm, impressive. I scrolled right past this post because, well, you didn't explain what it was so I didn't click it! I don't know why you'd even want to totally convert Un-Go's ED to be an Nisemonogatari ED but it works pretty well.

Anyway, for those who don't get it, this is the rather good Un-Go ED - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_we2Gd7DLgQ&feature=related

And this is the one modified for Nisemonogatari - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9zsqFlVSB4

I am shocked they actually bothered to replace nearly everything and they did so in a way that made sense. Its actually be superior to Nisemonogatri's real ED.

ungonis1.png

niseungo1.png

niseungo2.png

niseungo5.png

ungonis2.png

niseungo4.png

Araragi's harem is even arranged in a logical manner.

Dresden

That's really impressive (and un-go's ed was always striking, especially dat smoketrail).

And adding more lolis is always a good thing. It is known.

Acchi Kocchi 2:

Based on my calculations, I have now exceeded what I call the Cute Threshold, the point at which I have experienced all the cute I can safely experience in one day. I'm going to have to take it slowly catching up with this show. There is too much cute here for me to handle all at once.

Also:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34897419/ak_tm1.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

The gif is more loli than cute.

Jex

I enjoy how efficient, storytelling wise, some of those changes are:

niseungo7.png

Good stuff.
After Lost, I don't really care to see Lindelof's mysteries explored.

I never mentioned how good the exploration of the mysteries were, just how well crated they were and how successfully they drew people in.

Steroyd

Honey and Clover/ParaKiss are a good bet then. Itazura na Kiss is another shoujo that you might have seen if you watch dramas. I can't remember if Bokura ga Ita got a drama or not.

Itazura na Kiss, was one of a very very few anime, where I rage quitted after halfway through the first episode.

You had pretty much the exact same reaction as me while everyone else laughed at
Hare's death
:/. Nice to have a nakama.

Hare's death was stupid, she had the power to heal anything, but she didn't heal herself, before healing Shu.
and the fact she got shat on by Shu throughout the series up until that point didn't help matters when it got all emotional either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom