• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Aim for the Ace 7

This is like everything awesome about shoujo, but done poorly and wrapped up into a tennis show.

dTom3.png

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Eureka seven AO 5 - It's weird, but despite the amount of "dumb" anime moments throughout the episode, whenever the BGM plays during certain scenes, I can't help but be drawn to the screen with awe. The music really makes the show better than it really is imo.

trejo

I may have stopped watching this after ep14 but FUCK YOU KAWAMORI

FUCK

YOU

Well, to fair, I don't really believe
she's dead yet since I think she's still needed plot-wise
. It's just that the way the scene played out
there's just no way any normal human should've survived a giant robot hand squishing down on them like that
but hey, what do I know?

Jex

Ace o Nerae! 4-6:

Oka no longer totally sucks, but the constant harassment from world-class bitchmonsters never ends. Everything about this show is fabulous. The delicious tears
and sweat
never stop flowing.

Goemon seriously needs to be taken out of that home, though. Oka has a shocking disregard for innocent lives.

I don't know what you're talking about:

I've been putting off some of these for too long... not done catching up with reviews yet, though. This is a start however!

Ace wo Nerae 1-7 - (Aim for the Ace! is the English title) I'm not sure whether I like this at all or not... I mean, the repeated animation is CONSTANT, and the amount of animation is often minimal too. Of course, this show is from 1973-1974, so you expect it to look different from modern stuff, but the limited animation, in a series about tennis, really does stand out. It's hard to see what's going on in a match when it's all just faces with speed lines in the background... :)

Also, yeah, that character art... it's certainly quite different from newer stuff, that's for sure.

Anyway, this is a tennis anime, about a girls' tennis team. The main character's a very generic anime lead, and starts out awful at tennis and full of self-doubt. The coach picks her for the varsity team early on, but she hates that and wants to just be normal and a nobody, not important and forced to try her best. Yeah, very Japanese response there... "No, I don't want to be someone, I want to be a nobody!".

Of course, while overall I don't like her attitude, there are a few reasons to be sympathetic to it. First, she really isn't very good at all at the start. It's hard to see why the coach would pick her that early. And second, the other girls, and this one girl in particular, treat her horribly after she's picked... yeah, this is really "schoolgirls are really cruel to other girls they don't like" stuff here, every episode! The other girls are pretty mean. That one that she replaced in particular is the worst.

As for that coach, he's a jerk too, most of the time. He seems to just expect people to understand him without him ever explaining things, has very specious reasoning for some of his decisions, and is a very harsh coach, too. He's no more likeable than most of the rest of the cast.
Oddly enough, at one point in ep. 6 or so he actually acts like a decent human being... quite surprising! Still, he's kind of a jerk the rest of the time.

So yeah, the best character is the main character's cat, Goemon. It's too bad he only rarely shows up, he's both cute and quite likeable. :) Number two would probably be the MC's friend. She's actually mostly nice, and cheers on the lead consistently.
Ep. 6 even had a few yuri-goggles-possible moments, too, when she was talking to the lead.

Overall.. um, I guess this is alright. It's pretty bad at times, but there are just enough amusing parts that I haven't entirely stopped watching. It is kind of interesting to see what anime was like back in the '70s, I haven't really watched much of anything from then before, I don't think (apart from maybe Lupin, if it's from then). Finally, while this is the first season, there are four seasons of this show: S1 (26 eps) 1973-4, S2 (25 eps) 1978-89, S3 (13 eps) 1988, and S4 (12 eps) from 1989-1990. So that's why there were a few 16-bit videogames based on the series, there had been some recent new series in the franchise at the time. I wonder if those are any good...

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 5 - This episode is the school festival episode, focusing on Kirie. This is the most harem-romance-centric episode so far, and that IS the weaker element of this show, so it's one of the weaker episodes of this last batch. Still, it's still pretty good on the whole, and did have some good points, and some nice, suspenseful moments. The two girls' encounter with the anatomical model was quite well done, for instance. It was also pretty interesting to see people going in to get scared by Yuuko... most prominently, of course, Kirie and her experiences in the room.

Also, I criticized it above, but Kirie is kind of right -- I mean, why DOES he like a ghost more than human girls? Sure, the motivation's probably harem-romance stuff ultimately, but that IS a fair question.
The visuals in this episode were great as well, and as usual the show just keeps looking better and better.

Haiyore! Nyarlko-san 6 - In this episode, the dastardly villain's plans are revealed, and foiled! This episode had some issues, but it was mostly pretty funny.
So it's all actually about a console war between the villain woman's company and Hastur-kun's father's company, huh? Heh, why not...
The ending was kind of unfortunate, though, for the villain at least.
The company not only cancelled the system via a phonecall, but then sent

Polar Bear Cafe 4 - Polar Bear, Panda, and Penguin go for a drive, because Penguin's going for his license, and wants to see driving techniques from Polar Bear. Unfortunately, he's not too helpful...
Parallel parking by just sticking his head up out of the sunroof and looking around that way... :lol
Good, cute episode as always! :)

... Oh, and yes, I WOULD like to see how a penguin can drive a car. How does he reach the pedals? :D

Upotte! 7 - This episode was partially pretty good, partially kind of stupid. Essentially, I liked the parts where the girls were playing in the snow and stuff, but dislike the Japanese Teacher x FNC "special relationship" stuff that the end of the episode focuses on. That element of the show is just too creepy; even if this isn't as disturbing as the first episode was, it's still somewhat bad. And that was a significant element of the episode, too. I'd read enough of the manga to know this scene would happen at some point, but still...

However though, at least most of the episode wasn't about that, and as I said this one wasn't quite as bad as the ep. 1 stuff. But most importantly. there was another part of the episode, including a quite amusing snowball fight between the girls. (Oh, and what part of the US is M16 from, anyway? It must be the south or something, if she hates snow and doesn't know about making snow angels... poor her, snow is great!) Elle... um... was that really a good idea?
I think those snowballs might have been a bit too large...
:lol

Oh, once M16 is lured out into the snowball fight... she does it all without any gloves or mittens on? Seriously? Um... no, that'd be too cold... were the writers thinking at all when they did that? The other characters have them on! But yeah, decent half of the episode. Winter's great.

Grzi

I must say, I haven't heard anyone describe Star Driver with quite the same flavour as you, but I fundamentally disagree. More than half of the time it doesn't even look good at all and there are far too many stretches where it is actively boring.

I can't even begin to fathom why it had to last 25 episodes.

Yeah, I wanted to mention the boring parts (which would fit right into the point I was trying to make with my post, not that I did a good job with it anyway, but still), but halfway through the post I felt kind of stupid so I just wanted to get it over with as quick as possible.

I thought the show looked great throughout though, with the zero time parts being amazing.

I may have stopped watching this after ep14 but FUCK YOU KAWAMORI

FUCK

YOU
I'm not familiar with Aquarion, but I don't see how someone could get so worked up about a character from a Kawamori production. Not that I discourage the throwing of expletives at him.

Steroyd

Area no Kishi 21
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4lviatqsw1qbxqfpo1_500.png[img]

80% of the episode felt like filler, just a festival to get to see characters react in silly ways. Oh and Seven's Red Card thing never gets old. Yusuke seemed like a cool player in the beginning and Asuka seems like he has potential. [B]I wanted actual soccer to be played this episode[/B] :/[/QUOTE]

No football? interesting. (stopped after Seven's last episode).

[quote="trejo, post: 38210862"][B]Aquarion Evol 21[/B]

Uh, wtf? Did they just [spoiler]kill off Zessica[/spoiler]? I guess this means that Sazanka gets automatically upgraded to best girl status.[/QUOTE]

Fuck this shit, even though I stopped at episode 16... fuck this shit!

Articalys

Oh yeah, just thought it would be interesting to let you all know Fanime is having a fourteen hour Sailor Moon marathon tomorrow.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ace wo Nerae 1-7 - (Aim for the Ace! is the English title) I'm not sure whether I like this at all or not... I mean, the repeated animation is CONSTANT, and the amount of animation is often minimal too. Of course, this show is from 1973-1974, so you expect it to look different from modern stuff, but the limited animation, in a series about tennis, really does stand out. It's hard to see what's going on in a match when it's all just faces with speed lines in the background... :)
Sigh.

Thoraxes

iJwUx.gif

CCS - 06

*tears*

That's a crazy power.

CCS - 07

In the next Batman movie, they should replace Catwoman with Sakura.

CCS - 08

Some educational history on Clow Cards and the new guy is kinda a dick. Uh, is he
in love with Yukito too?

CCS - 09

Zettai
Unmei
Mokushiroku

CCS - 10

What you gonna do with all those pictures, Yukito?
Go away Li.
Oh shit that's Tomoyo's
mom and she was Sakura's mom's BFF and her cousin. Shit.
Like mother like daughter.
Sakura's dad is the ultimate pimp.

CCS - 11

Creepiness runs in the family.

CCS - 12
Dat kick, dat Sakura's dad being a pimp, dat recorder test.
I enjoyed the battle costume for this one. It was great. Also, interesting bit about the cards at the end.

CCS - 13

Who knew such strength could be so moe?

CCS - 14

I would eat in Yukito's cafe too.
Go away Li.
Yukito's has got game.
DAT PLAY. Onii-san is pretty popular with the girls.
Who does he like though? I hope The foreshadowing isn't true.

CCS - 15

That was depressing. That little girl man. Damn.

CCS - 16

These aren't m-my tears. I-It's just raining in here.

Fairy Tail 132

QEP3u.jpg

This is how you know it's filler.

I still have no idea what to think of this arc. As with most filler arcs, it's completely screwing up the power scale, and FT's was shaky to begin with.

On the other hand, the abilities of the villain's are actually kind of cool. This new guy that can
change the size of things he touches with his spear
seems like a funny character. I'm also digging the mystery regarding Lucy's father. I thought that little plot thread was closed way too quickly in the manga, so seeing it fleshed out is nice. I do hope Mashima had a hand in whatever it is for consistency reasons. He has plugged it in the manga, but that could mean anything.

Also, what the hell was up with this? Not the kind of spooky stuff I expected from FT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom