• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You'd think your average manga fan would've read enough shit stuff like Death Note and learned how to not be a moron when avoiding the police.

Dresden

Give me eleven days to run* and I'm already growing a beard as I built a hut in the mountains.

*in Japan; if this happened here the dude is probably going through Mexico right now

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lupin III: Fujiko Mine 11
X0Vfo.jpg

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. Unnecessary, over the top, and derogatory. I hope the door hits this show on the way out.

I don't know what people see in Not Actually Pirates. It's an ugly, boring show.

• Chiaki
  • Main character that actually think
  • reaction faces
  • PARFAITS ( delicious parfaits )
  • Universe correctly exposed ( so you know why things are happenning)

It's very entertaining

Branduil

So what happened to the new Lupin? I can see that people feel it's trainwrecked, but I'm curious about the specifics. Go ahead and spoil me.

Dresden

So what happened to the new Lupin? I can see that people feel it's trainwrecked, but I'm curious about the specifics. Go ahead and spoil me.

Just read the Lupin thread.

Tends to be a mix of estranged old-school Lupin fans, people who're just watching due to hype, and Dragoon.

pizzaroll said:
Negativity is more interesting/tolerable when it's more substantial than:
shaft sux

gaming isnt art

sac is terrible

writing doesnt matter

firehawk is a reductionist

etc

The series started out on a high note—episodes 1 and 2 had contrasting styles that introduced Lupin, Fujiko, and Jigen brilliantly—but episode 3 felt disappointing overall (introduced Goemon with a weird plot set in Europe, of all places), and episode 4 was mediocre (not to mention how people felt about Zenigata and Oscar, the former now more amoral and petty and the latter rather butthurt towards Fujiko). I thought that episode 5 was a great diversion from the norm that built upon the relationship between Jigen and Lupin excellently, but others just thought it was a mess (it wasn't). Episode 6 was the turning point, really—viewers either liked Oscar's plotting and asshole characteristics (amidst everything else), or they thought it was a boring episode. And relatively-few liked episode 7, which was probably the worst episode yet. From then on, the plot's been about investigating Fujiko's backstory in-full, and I generally feel that, as post-modern and ridiculous as the premise is, the episodes have been well-produced and directed.

Then there's complaints about the shading (which has improved substantially from the first episode onward), and a whole bunch of other stuff. But the arguments are complex and, suffice to say, it's tired most of us out in the OT. People like Checkered Knight don't want this kind of Lupin, people like DIMB and Duckroll loath the whole production, the OT bystanders are either disliking it or enjoying it a lot, and I think it's a pretty-good series overall. But it's the most divisive Lupin series/TV special/film yet, and NeoGAF's the place where the reception's easily the most mixed.

Dresden

Episode one was fun and energetic, not to mention being the only episode production-wise that doesn't feel rushed or half baked.

Otherwise all the episodes I'm fond of--2, 6, and 7--are like a series of stills with some bursts of movement. 7 in particular is rather odd because it's not good, per se. Direction is off and I don't think we need to comment on the lack of animation in general. But the script for all its faults was entertainingly absurd, and there's a sense of joy that Fujiko has lacked in general.

Narag

I like it a lot but it's flawed. Fujiko isn't terribly interesting in this, the new character is sort of there and never feels really important as the whole rivalry with Fujiko is forced, the story.seems like its going to end up some sort of genius or a terrible train wreck by the end with no middle ground, and the owl imagery has been outright abused as it transitioned from subtle to so blatant.
It still reminds me of Aeon Flux for a reason I haven't quite figured out yet.

Read Ayako and then watch this. It makes so much more sense when you realize how similar the premises are (though the commentary is different).

Koike didn't do shit, guys. He did correction duties for the first episode, as well as the character designs. Everything else came down to episode direction, and Yamaokada.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Negativity is more interesting/tolerable when it's more substantial than:
I made this post about Lupin as a whole last week. I don't really have much more to add unless I'm delving into posting big black boxes as episode impressions, which I don't really like to do. Fujiko also isn't really worth serious dissection because it would be like trying to preform surgery on a trash bag. Since people are interested and not watching I'll elaborate on the most recent episode.

The show loses track of what it wants to be once again, shifting gears between irrelevant characters and garbling its senseless overarching plot with characters, scenarios, and settings that have no real sense or meaning.
Episode eleven focuses on Oscar dressing up as Fujiko, preforming crimes as her in an act to redirect Zenigata's attention on to himself. The pieces he has set out to steal are elaborate women's bridal clothing to receive Zenigata's attention sexually.

Like all characters in the series, Oscar has no real personality. Unfortunately, unlike other characters who are easy to just write off as nothing Oscar is essentially driven and solely defined by his homosexuality. As a one note character everything comes off as cheap and over the top as the show gaudily wields unsubstantiated, misunderstood, and irrelevant themes. I'm sure there is someone who will stand up for the deep and subtle imagery expressed by throwing in a bunch of phallic hotdogs to the homolust episode though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom