• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So much anime I want to burn through this summer. I might reserve individual episode impressions for currently-airing series and then do impressions at set intervals for everything else to maximize my marathon efficiency. I sometimes forget that doing an AnimeGAF writeup for every episode of every series you're watching isn't compulsory!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
So much anime I want to burn through this summer. I might reserve individual episode impressions for currently-airing series and then do impressions at set intervals for everything else to maximize my marathon efficiency. I sometimes forget that doing an AnimeGAF writeup for every episode of every series you're watching isn't compulsory!

It might not be compulsory, but it can be fun!

Dresden

Talking about that... any decent impressions on the demo available?
cj_iwakura's impression was the only one on the demo thread here.
-Full voice acted, I kind of get the jist of what's going on. They're testing out their robot, which they want to be the strongest.
-Menus are in English, of course. :(
-Portraits are cel-shaded and animated, kinda like Idolm@ster.

---

Only thing I plan on marathoning is every show I promised myself I'd marathon + three movies + VOTOMS.

I really do want to get around to mopping up MPD and Bunny Drop from last year though. And perhaps Chihayafuru, although I've lost interest in that one.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Looking forward to what you think about the rest of Oniisama e.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It might not be compulsory, but it can be fun!

Not for something you want to down 20 episodes a day of! In the time it takes to type thoughtful impressions for that many episodes, you've cut a significant amount of time out of your marathon schedule.

Only thing I plan on marathoning is every show I promised myself I'd marathon + three movies + VOTOMS.

I really do want to get around to mopping up MPD and Bunny Drop from last year though. And perhaps Chihayafuru, although I've lost interest in that one.

You have it easy compared to what I'm planning.

Gintama + Futari wa Precure/Max Heart/Splash Star + Ojamajo Doremi + One Piece ep. 500 onward + several normal-length series chosen on a whim to break up the monotony of everything above. Being a NEET not of your own choice is suffering, but I'm going to make the most of it.

I've also invested in an exercise bike to help curb the risk of DVT from weeks of marathoning. No joke!

Looking forward to what you think about the rest of Oniisama e.

I'm behind on the last fifteen episodes, I'll probably knock them all out over the weekend. I expect tears.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Did anyone recently watch katanagatari or is knowledgeable about it?
I just finished it and I have questions

I've only watched the first episode, but I know several others here have watched the whole thing.

Even I can tell you that the first thing you need to know about it is that it was written by Nisio Isin.

Instro

Lupin 11

Its a shame how marred this show has become, the writing is just atrocious at this point. There was actually a rather interesting heist in the works with the bridge and all, but what's the point when the plot behind it is so awful.
I don't even understand the character motivations here. Oscar thought that he could somehow turn Zenigata gay by pretending to be Fujiko? It makes no sense. And why did he jump into the river with the bomb when he could have just tossed it?
Not to mention the continuing owl shit, that probably won't be explained by the end of this show anyway.

I feel like outside of the first 3 episodes, there's only been 1 other episode that was truly worth watching.

Narag

Lupin III (1971) 14

Superb episode. I found myself with a tinge of the feeling I had the first timed I watched Cagliostro. The earnest Zenigata, Lupin & Fujiko teaming up comically like the heist was just a game, and Catherine's self-satisfied nature coming back to bite her in the end resulted in something very entertaining. Even the physical humor was for more enjoyable than normal.

What a creepy cat.
Also dat foreshadowing.

bRriul.jpg

cajunator

Banned

Yeah I was having trouble with that too. If I didnt bother wriitng some of my impressions I could breeze through plenty of episodes. Like last night I marathoned the entire series of Madoka Magica again and thoroughly enjoyed it without feeling the need to write anything about it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon 68

0BrxA.jpg

Finally, Chibiusa breaks down and reveals all.
Unfortunately, I found part of it quite confusing. Chibiusa implied that the Sailors in the future had attacked her mom, but later it was said that the Dark Moon people were the ones who did it. Which is it? Either way, Chibiusa's mother has been kidnapped, and so Chibiusa has been sent to the past to get help from the Sailors there. Considering the reveal at the end, and the fact that only Mars, Jupiter, Mercury, and Venus are ever shown in the flash forwards, I have a vague suspicion of who Usagi's mother might be....

9VU3C.jpg

Symbolism~

There was definitely the touch of Ikuhara's hand in this episode, I quite liked the artstyle of one particular flashback.

NAb0W.jpg

Her wings look a bit silly, though

Although it was little more than a slideshow, the battle was fairly enjoyable, being synced so well to the music certainly helped it overcome it's shortcomings. Also, I'm hopeful that there will be a real mashup battle eventually.

JHS5s.jpg

Obligatory Chibiusa screencap

KcdNb.jpg

Will Tuxedo Mask ever care about young boys?

tiff

Banned
Yeah I was having trouble with that too. If I didnt bother wriitng some of my impressions I could breeze through plenty of episodes. Like last night I marathoned the entire series of Madoka Magica again and thoroughly enjoyed it without feeling the need to write anything about it.

just never write impressions like i do

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
With just 20 episodes left, I'm getting to the point where I can just marathon the rest of Sailor Moon R on a good day. :)

cajunator

Banned
With just 20 episodes left, I'm getting to the point where I can just marathon the rest of Sailor Moon R on a good day. :)

There is a Sailor Moon marathon in my future.
I think the best option is to just watch like ten episodes of it and sum up everything in a few sentences instead of going episode by episode.
Part of the reason I take so long is because Im describing my reactions to things, and in shows like Code Geass R2 (which I have yet to finish) this could be pretty awesome, but a show like Sailor Moon should be watched now and discussed later or I'll never finish it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There is a Sailor Moon marathon in my future.
I think the best option is to just watch like ten episodes of it and sum up everything in a few sentences instead of going episode by episode.
Part of the reason I take so long is because Im describing my reactions to things, and in shows like Code Geass R2 (which I have yet to finish) this could be pretty awesome, but a show like Sailor Moon should be watched now and discussed later or I'll never finish it.

It's harder to do combined episode impressions for shows that are largely episodic than it is shows that have a contiguous plot, which is why I've found it difficult and overly time-consuming to take time out to write impressions after every episode of series I've marathoned recently like Sailor Moon and Fresh Precure. Having to spell out the individual self-contained premise of each episode before my impressions can even make any sense is an extra step that ends up making the drafting of impressions feel more like a chore than a pleasure, primarily because I prefer to avoid regurgitating plot summary whenever possible and it feels unavoidable with episodic content.

Maybe I just need to find a way to be less wordy, but I also like to dress up my impressions with a picture or two per episode and never want to appear as if I'm replacing the actual substance of my posts with images. I think I'm really overthinking it at this point.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's harder to do combined episode impressions for shows that are largely episodic than it is shows that have a contiguous plot, which is why I've found it difficult and overly time-consuming to take time out to write impressions after every episode of series I've marathoned recently like Sailor Moon and Fresh Precure. Having to spell out the individual self-contained premise of each episode before my impressions can even make any sense is an extra step that ends up making the drafting of impressions feel more like a chore than a pleasure, primarily because I prefer to avoid regurgitating plot summary whenever possible and it feels unavoidable with episodic content.

Maybe I just need to find a way to be less wordy, but I also like to dress up my impressions with a picture or two per episode and never want to appear as if I'm replacing the actual substance of my posts with images. I think I'm really overthinking it at this point.

You're thinking to hard about it. :(

I write impressions even for episode series like Precure and Sailor Moon since it's fun, helps cement the events of that episode in my mind, and I can catch things I missed, or notice something cool, when I'm thinking over what to write.

Lupin III (1971) 14

Superb episode. I found myself with a tinge of the feeling I had the first timed I watched Cagliostro. The earnest Zenigata, Lupin & Fujiko teaming up comically like the heist was just a game, and Catherine's self-satisfied nature coming back to bite her in the end resulted in something very entertaining. Even the physical humor was for more enjoyable than normal.

What a creepy cat.
Also dat foreshadowing.
This is the first episode where Miyahata clicked for me. Plenty of great gag twists, a lot of interesting characterization, the whole premise of being on a cruise in the first place—and the cat, of course.

Reknoc

Inazuma Eleven 11 (haha)

So this episode tells us a little about the Inazuma Eleven, who were a legendary team 40 years a go coached by Mamourao... Mark's Grandad. On the way to the Football Frontier final against Taikouo... Royal High their, get this, their bus swerves over and crashes. Yes we are 3 for 3 for road accidents being part of peoples dark pasts.

Seriously? Another road accident? Really? I mean, okay so this time they're in the vehicle and not getting hit by it, and it probably is due to sabotage and... wait...

The previous episode, their coach who is really working for Royal sabotaged Raimon's bus... man that is pretty fucked up, cutting the breakline on a bus that'll be carrying children...

Come to think of it there have already been 2 children getting ran over, one of them even probably died.

This show... man... this show.

Lain

Ginga e Kickoff!! 1

Fuck yeah! Now this is a football anime worth of the sport label, not that other, laughable, one!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Dusk Maiden 3

I gave this show 3 episodes, but it failed to deliver anything meaningful.

Firstly, it has an extremely annoying main character. Though I suppose it's not really his fault, considering he's only 12. Of course, that does make Yuuko's constant teasing of him far more creepy... Anyway, he's your average romcom shonen protagonist, which means he never thinks for himself, never thinks logically, gets embarrassed and flustered by the smallest of things, never takes any sort of initiative (unless it's to do something wildly improbable to prove that the object of his affection is far more pure/innocent/correct/etc than people claim, and of course it always works), lets himself get led around by everyone, completely ignores anything, no matter how plausible, that might possibly besmirch his beloved (and of course, it always turns out that he was right in the end)... do I need to go on?

Of course, the plot of all three episodes have been ridiculous, all revolving around ghost stories. For some reason, characters in anime take ghost stories far far far far too seriously.

Umtbx.jpg

More importantly, why would the ghost story be right? For some reason, "people" are always mysteriously disappearing in these ghost stories, but not once do they ever say who these supposed "people" are. If people really are going missing, surely the correct thing to do is not use a ghost story as your guide, but contact authorities over the fact? No, that makes too much sense and is too realistic. We need forced drama and unbelievable characters!

The constant mood switches used don't help the show either. One moment you have a serious moment while Teichi and Kirie prepare to examine Yuuko's body to see if they can find any clues as to what happened, and the next it's a superdeformed scene filled with Teichi no ecchi. For every decent shot, there's half a dozen "hey look, we can be shaft too!" shots that are unsubtle as hell and really harm the experience.

You have to feel sorry for the "normal" girl, all the other characters are quite rude to her, even when she tries to be nice and actually have fun in the club.

The story itself is pretty bland so far. You have the cute moe blushing dere dere ghost, and then the evil dark alternate persona ghost, so mysterious! And there must be a dark past! Not that those necessitate a bad show, but the way it's handled here is so blustering and boring there's really no point in me continuing this show.

Milky Holmes 6

Whoever is responsible for the facial expressions in this is a genius.
The show does have some great facial expressions, but there's more good about it than just that.

Milky Holmes 7

Cordelia is the best character in the show.
I'd rank her last of the main four, myself.

Not how one spells "Twenty"!
Based on his posts, the only thing he seems to care about (as far as posts are concerned at least) in the series is the art, for whatever reason, and it is true that Cordelia's parts have the most varied/different art design in her segments.

Why he doesn't seem to care about the so-often-hilarious humor to say anything at all about it I don't know, though.

We all know who the best character in Infinite Stratos was.

That Japanese girl.

http://i.imgur.com/sC1z2.jpg
There are people here who don't like the best character (Char) the most, really? I
guess I knew that support for her wasn't universal (I don't know if there are many here, but brocon-sister certainly has support out there), but Houki, best? Really? I actually kind of liked Houki, but no, she's not better than Char.

Anyway... Char > Pika-tan (Her name's actually Nohohon) > Houki > Houki's sister > Laura > MC's brocon sister > Ichika > the teacher >>>> Cecelia. I think that's about right. All I'm missing are Ichika's two friends, his male friend and his sister (who likes him of course), but they don't show up often enough to have a good ranking, I think.

The Japanese girl was not bad. she was very tolerable. The only character from the show that I outright hate is the english girl. She was annoying as hell.
Yeah, this is entirely true, and for me she gets even worse once you read the outside materials that explain why she falls in love with the MC (remember, the anime skips over that). It's the worst.

so many wrong opinions here

Laura's really a mixed character. On the one hand, that she proclaims Ichika to be her wife is awesome. Her 100% tsun and 100% dere modes are both good, both work well in their own ways. I also like that she wears pants with her uniform instead of a skirt. However, Ichika's so undeserving that it's unfortunate that she has to fall in love with him at all, really... yeah, she had some anger issues, but it's definitely a "stupid anime" moment there. Also, I dislike eyepatch girls; that implied-missing-bodyparts fetish is awful. I know she does have a (modified) eye under there, but it's still stupid.

I don't know what people see in Not Actually Pirates. It's an ugly, boring show.
You obviously must hate sci-fi TV shows (Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, etc etc), then. That's unfortunate, they were my favorite genre, back when they still made such things on network TV... and yes, I very much mourn their passing. But anyway, anyone who likes sci-fi TV and anime would almost certainly love Space Pirates. I certainly do; it's the best anime of the year by far, and it's way better than anything from last year too.

Harlock

I made a couple of FB Timeline Header about Yamato 2199.

I don´t know when will be officially released in the western, but the first 2 episodes are avaliable you know where.

They are doing a fantastic work with this remake. The story is the same, but worked refining the plot holes and the art.

yamato_2199_cover1.jpg

yamato_2199_cover2.jpg

yamato_2199_cover3.jpg

yamato_2199_cover4.jpg

yamato_2199_cover5.jpg

yamato_2199_cover6.jpg

Accel World 10
tumblr_m5ony8BfnF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Poor Taku always just left out and ignored, the scene when he was called names by the girls and just depressed, only Haru understands. Otherwise solid episode, cliffhanger ending ftl.

I cant wait to see how Sword Art Online does the virtual world in comparison to Accel World, I think it will definitely have the better landscapes and vistas....wonder if theyll do hunts against huge foes.

1 day in the real world is just 3 years in the Accel World...a whole lifetime in just a month accelerating, so many possibilities.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Accel World 10
tumblr_m5ony8BfnF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Poor Taku always just left out and ignored, the scene when he was called names by the girls and just depressed, only Haru understands. Otherwise solid episode, cliffhanger ending ftl.

I cant wait to see how Sword Art Online does the virtual world in comparison to Accel World, I think it will definitely have the better landscapes and vistas....wonder if theyll do hunts against huge foes.

1 day in the real world is just 3 years in the Accel World...a whole lifetime in just a month accelerating, so many possibilities.

If you've seen the SAO PV's, there's definitely going to be hunts against some big bosses.

Anyway... Char > Pika-tan (Her name's actually Nohohon) > Houki > Houki's sister > Laura > MC's brocon sister > Ichika > the teacher >>>> Cecelia. I think that's about right. All I'm missing are Ichika's two friends, his male friend and his sister (who likes him of course), but they don't show up often enough to have a good ranking, I think.

You obviously must hate sci-fi TV shows (Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, etc etc), then. That's unfortunate, they were my favorite genre, back when they still made such things on network TV... and yes, I very much mourn their passing. But anyway, anyone who likes sci-fi TV and anime would almost certainly love Space Pirates. I certainly do; it's the best anime of the year by far, and it's way better than anything from last year too.

At least you got most of the positions correct, Chifuyu should be higher though...

Really, I think the reason cosmic hasn't been comment on the humor of Milky Holmes is that from what I've seen, it simply isn't funny. All the characters are too annoying or too ridiculous to be funny.

I wouldn't say Moretsu is the best show of the year, but it certainly is one of my favorites.

survivor

Banned
Azazel-san

Just finished marathoning the last 6 episodes. It had some good jokes here and there but overall it was a forgettable experience. It doesn't even match up to the likes of Nichijou/Nichibros.

It certainly did look nice most of the times and it made me wish that if an anime as funny as Soredemo looked like this then it would have been perfect.

Kids on the Slope: Episode 09

Good to have some jazz back.
Oh, love triangles. Gotta love them. : |

That ending was pretty nice. Made me really want to go right into episode 10, haha.
I probably say it every single week, but the way they just go through huge gaps of time... It's scary. Partially because it's been over a year in time in the show, and because it's just like that when you take the time to think about how fast life moves.

cajunator

Banned
Looks like its time to buy up all the media blasters stuff like I did with Geneon.
I highly doubt prices for oop media blasters stuff will go stratospheric like geneon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom