• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milky Holmes 6

BdkJG.jpg

Whoever is responsible for the facial expressions in this is a genius.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I made this post about Lupin as a whole last week. I don't really have much more to add unless I'm delving into posting big black boxes as episode impressions, which I don't really like to do. Fujiko also isn't really worth serious dissection because it would be like trying to preform surgery on a trash bag. Since people are interested and not watching I'll elaborate on the most recent episode.

The show loses track of what it wants to be once again, shifting gears between irrelevant characters and garbling its senseless overarching plot with characters, scenarios, and settings that have no real sense or meaning.
Episode eleven focuses on Oscar dressing up as Fujiko, preforming crimes as her in an act to redirect Zenigata's attention on to himself. The pieces he has set out to steal are elaborate women's bridal clothing to receive Zenigata's attention sexually.

Like all characters in the series, Oscar has no real personality. Unfortunately, unlike other characters who are easy to just write off as nothing Oscar is essentially driven and solely defined by his homosexuality. As a one note character everything comes off as cheap and over the top as the show gaudily wields unsubstantiated, misunderstood, and irrelevant themes. I'm sure there is someone who will stand up for the deep and subtle imagery expressed by throwing in a bunch of phallic hotdogs to the homolust episode though.
See, this was better. I'm actually interested in seeing impressions because I dropped the show early on. I know you're able to write good impressions when you actually do them and everyone else seems to be content with posting "lol owls!!!" so maybe that's why I wanted a more fleshed out post from you in particular.

Also, sounds shitty. Why do
crossdressing
subplots in anime almost always come off as extremely offensive and downright stupid? Hey that reminds me, there was another shitty and offensive
crossdressing
subplot in another Mari Okada "masterpiece", AnoHana -- I dropped the show on that episode. Seems like a pattern is forming.

After watching Redline, I have very little interest in the new Lupin series. I imagine that Yamamoto thought it was perfectly fine.
Yamamoto worked on Redline and storyboarded a pretty sizable portion of the movie, so yeah.

Koike didn't do shit, guys. He did correction duties for the first episode, as well as the character designs. Everything else came down to episode direction, and Yamaokada.

Koike was the chief animation director. It was his job to oversee the animation over the entire show and hold it to as high a level of consistent quality as possible. He did not do a good job of that. That's a fact. The pre-production process should not have lasted as long as it did. While I respect his dedication to the visual style he is reaching for, he lacks the ability to be practical about his character designs and animation in order to produce the best results on a TV schedule. He could indulge his perfectionism in Redline, but if you're going to take seven years to handcraft every project to your satisfaction, you probably shouldn't be working in television.

cajunator

Banned
so many wrong opinions here

Any team is ok as long as its not team annoying England.

The figure for Accel World looks so nice even with a Haru
tumblr_m5n3ujLW1e1qmiqji.jpg

tumblr_m5n40eJIZv1qmiqji.jpg

I don't buy Figmas but...I might buy a Figma....

Close enough. New Orleans natives would have a hell of a time getting past the bayous, though.

Nope. Bridges all over the place. Very easy to get around the swamps of Louisiana.

To no one's surprise, Crunchyroll maintains its rights with the Yuru Yuri series, adding season 2 to its Summer season simulcast list.

It will be the savior of Summer.

Branduil

Koike was the chief animation director. It was his job to oversee the animation over the entire show and hold it to as high a level of consistent quality as possible. He did not do a good job of that. That's a fact. The pre-production process should not have lasted as long as it did. While I respect his dedication to the visual style he is reaching for, he lacks the ability to be practical about his character designs and animation in order to produce the best results on a TV schedule. He could indulge his perfectionism in Redline, but if you're going to take seven years to handcraft every project to your satisfaction, you probably shouldn't be working in television.

Given what happened with Redline, he probably shouldn't be working in any kind of supervisory role at all, lol.

It's not enough to blame Okada, if you're going to blame anyone. Yamamoto was just as involved in the creative decisions revolving around the show. And though I think the actual premise of Fujiko in the show was well-executed in episode 10, the series has overall problems in production values, pre-production, and some aimlessness.

I haven't watched any subs for the new episode, so I'm prepared to say it's a bad ep if it is. But I've argued plenty about prior episodes.

It should have stopped the moment we heard about troubled pre-production. If none of that business had happened, and expectations had been lowered, then AnimeGAF would be more vocally-okay with the series as it turned out.

Dresden

It should have stopped the moment we heard about troubled pre-production. If none of that business had happened, and expectations had been lowered, then AnimeGAF would be more vocally-okay with the series as it turned out.

Expectations were permanently lowered after episode three, people just wanted a decent show after that. And apparently, this didn't happen.

I think we should blame the duckroll hype train again.

If we're going to blame a hype train, wouldn't 7th or Lafiel be a more appropriate target?

Hey, I was concerned about the show from the moment I heard about its production troubles, and I was really concerned after the second episode aired and revealed they hadn't even gotten the OP and ED done in time for the airing of the first one. It still turned out worse than I expected though!

cajunator

Banned
troll answer: everything else on this chart.

Otherwise, Bimbougami Ga, Moyashimon Returns, Dog Days', Natsuyuki, Kokoro Connect, Tari Tari all are either definitely going to be better or have a very good chance at at it.

Moyashimon could be nice. Dog days, and Im pretty stoked to see how bad Sword Art Online will be.

From the first few episodes of Dog Days I watched, no, Dog Days' will not be better than Yuru Yuri 2.

Dog Days 2 will fulfill my Cute quotient so its all good.

Dresden

Thinking after the fact, dude. We heard about pre-production issues before ep 3 aired, IIRC. Not a good sign then, not one now.
You framed it as animegaf as a whole being more willing to voice their complaints in light of that news, man.

"If none of that business had happened, and expectations had been lowered, then AnimeGAF would be more vocally-okay with the series as it turned out."

And I'm saying that most of animegaf isn't in tune with such news. They're responding to the show as it comes out, judged mostly on its own merits.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Accel World 10
The harem thing is getting annoying but I enjoyed the episode overall. The sadist attitude of Hime is getting weird though. Really really looking forward to the next episode. Shit's going to go down!

Moyashimon could be nice. Dog days, and Im pretty stoked to see how bad Sword Art Online will be..

The PV for Sword Art Online actually makes it sounds pretty good as well as look. Really curious what the plot is...only thing that is questionable is if they will really have HP bars over their heads during some scenes...I guess to make it more immersive its alright but kind of awkward.

tumblr_m58385dbNG1qzd219o1_500.gif

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Summer has a lot of shows that I will be checking out. Alongside the ones you mentioned, I'm gonna watch Yuri 2, Oda Nobuna, Arcana Famiglia, and that historical karuta anime.

Those other shows only have a decent chance at being better than Yuru Yuri, so I didn't list them, but I'll definitely be watching them. :p

maybe I'm the only one but I will watch the first episodes of Joshiraku. I mean Kumeta is the writer of the manga, so I expect some insanity.

http://youtu.be/OwZP02bXLeg

Well, if it's one of those 5 minute shows like Kuro Majo this season, I might give it a try.

Shining Hearts 10
Stuff happened. Not a whole lot and definitely not enough to fill up the whole 24 minutes without wasting time or being all cryptic and mysterious. We probably got enough plot that does fill up 24 minutes of gameplay including however much loading it took to move between scenes.

Is Yuru Yuri actually entertaining/worth watching? (Someone other than Cajun)
I don't have super high standards or anything.

I found it dull, but if you have a thing for yuri, go for it.

Fuck summer. Bring on autumn!

Eh, I'm not seeing too much on the docks for fall to excite me. I am looking forward to Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, and From the New World, which looks promising, will likely be then, and Hidamari Sketch S4 should be a pleasant watch, but other than that I don't know. Maybe Robotics;Notes or (sigh) Psychopass will turn out to be decent, but summer looks more promising at present.

trejo

Eh, I'm not seeing too much on the docks for fall to excite me. I am looking forward to Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, and From the New World, which looks promising, will likely be then, and Hidamari Sketch S4 should be a pleasant watch, but other than that I don't know. Maybe Robotics;Notes or (sigh) Psychopass will turn out to be decent, but summer looks more promising at present.

I wasn't really being serious, sorry. :(

Alternatively, fuck fall. Bring on winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom