• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Kids on the Slope: Episode 09

That ending was pretty nice. Made me really want to go right into episode 10, haha.
I probably say it every single week, but the way they just go through huge gaps of time... It's scary. Partially because it's been over a year in time in the show, and because it's just like that when you take the time to think about how fast life moves.[/SPOILER]

The time issue hasn't bothered me, I've always felt like its pretty apparent when skips take place. When you compare that next to something like, Fujiko, which I feel hasn't done a good job with it (episode 7 specifically), you can see just how quickly it can become jarring when handled badly.

It can be personal preference though, and I don't mind not always being with the characters, but I do appreciate an informed narrative. The reality of the situation can never live up to how you imagine it. I mean look at Shonen, you spend so much time with a lot of those characters, and you know for a fact that nothing ever really happens!

...that's not cool. [the image, I mean]

Without trying to repeat what I've already said previously, it's not even the same character anymore...

Risette

A Good Citizen
From what I understand it doesn't actually have real yuri. Just another stupid yuri goggles show.
debbie-downer.jpg

At least you got most of the positions correct, Chifuyu should be higher though...
Chifuyu's problem for me is that incest element to her character; obviously, I don't like that at all. The main reason she ranks that high despite that is that, in the anime and manga at least, it's never actually confirmed that either one of them actually love the other one; other characters assume that, but for them it's left open to question and could just be too-close-siblings stuff but not incest. And that's why she's not lower on the list.

Apart from that element of her character, though, sure, she's pretty good.

Really, I think the reason cosmic hasn't been comment on the humor of Milky Holmes is that from what I've seen, it simply isn't funny. All the characters are too annoying or too ridiculous to be funny.
Milky Holmes is often a very funny show. Sure, it's not on par with stuff like Excel Saga or something of course, but it's one of the funnier animes in recent years, along with stuff like Nichijou. It is very focused on suffering-moe, about how pathetic and sad these girls lives are (and how stupid they often are), but they make it consistently funny, so it works anyway. Some of those eps he posted pics from had some really funny stuff in them, such as the scene with that bear there in ep. 2... but really, apart from the OVA episode and the first two episodes of the second season, Milky Holmes has a pretty consistently high quality level.

I wouldn't say Moretsu is the best show of the year, but it certainly is one of my favorites.
There are a few things I dislike about Space Pirates, most notably some of the more stupid-anime elements, but overall it's a fantastic show.

I feel you're missing the point. I know you don't like pictures, but there's nothing wrong with lots of text or pictures provided actual opinions or positions are expressed. Doing nothing but summarizing is the problem, and it's not appropriate to give the impression people shouldn't contribute to the thread.

Envelope's contentless 3 line MLP text summaries are more vapid.
We agree entirely on this, at least.

No, I'm not missing the point. When there are 20-30 HD images embedded into a post, it's no longer about "making a point" but just image spamming. It makes it difficult to load on certain devices, and depending on the size of the images it can be a huge memory drain. If there is an insistence on using tons of images for impressions, they shoul put more effort into using 360p thumbnails instead, with a click-through to a HD version if they want. Abusing the quote tag to make HD images appear smaller and then spamming 20 of them in a row is actually making it hard for me to use the thread. Hence I am complaining both as a mod and as a user.

If people do the same thing in any other thread I read frequently, I also complain about it and I make them stop. I've done it on Gaming and Off-Topic. Most people aren't assholes about it. But somehow the people here seem to think that this is the "right" way to post impression because they're used to anime-blog culture, which I find just as vapid as 3 word impressions.
Wait, so your complaint's about filesize, really? Are people still on dialup here or something?

Anyway, the reason why I (and other people) post in quotes instead of with linked images is mostly because it looks way better this way. For instance:

versus

The quoted full image both looks better, and is easier to see the full version of. That's the reason I use them, it's for both reasons, not just laziness or something.

Using the quote tag to downsize images is considered abuse? I've seen people do that all the time, I had no idea it was against the rules.
I've never heard of it being against the rules either, I think it's just something Duckroll really dislikes.

Just finished watching the 3 OVA's. Nothing actually gets resolved and they don't elude to any kind of continuation or, well, anything happening at all. Just more sex jokes throughout, though there were some good laughs to be had. I would've liked to see the story go somewhere, but then again, there really is no story in this anime anyway.

http://www.abload.de/img/seitokai9ojzin.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/seitokai10xx96n.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/seitokai1182asb.jpg

I'm fond of the character design in this series - especially the president. She looks super cute.
it's based on an ongoing (4koma) manga series, so pasting on an ending would just cut them off from covering stuff that hasn't happened yet in the manga... that's why it doesn't end, I'm sure. But yeah, it is true that the most recent OVA makes no attempt at all at being an ending. I definitely hope that it isn't, and that another something, either OVA or anime, happens eventually.

wonzo

Banned
it's that time of the season folks

lets see...

Kingdom :(, YuruYuri S2, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Moyashimon Returns, Oda Nobuna lol, Binbou-gami ga!, Tari Tari, Rinne S2 and Joshiraku. Maybe that Bodyswap show and chitose if it's a dumb throwaway short.

From what I understand it doesn't actually have real yuri. Just another stupid yuri goggles show. I might give it a try because pizzaroll seemed to like it.
but there's no need for the goggles in this show and there's plenty of sakuga moments to!

Kingdom too, Sword Art Online, Horizon II, Campione!, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, Lagrange 2, Arcana Famiglia, (Aruvu Rezuru...hopes it tv and not just an ova...), tight rope...

Continuing: Accel world, Area no Kishi, Eureka Seven AO, Fairy tail, Ginga e Kickoff, Hiiro no Kakera, Hxh, hyouka, Kuroko no Basket, Gundam Age, Gundam Seed HD, One Piece, Phi Brain S2, Naruto Shippuden, Saint Seiya Omega, Naruto SD, Sengoku Collection, Sket Dance, Toriko, and Space Battleship Yamato 2199

and in domestic markets...Cardfight Vanguard dub, feels odd watching these animes subbed

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Here I go, I guess:

Natsuyuki
Oda Nobuna
Moyashimon+first season
Binbougami
Tari Tari
Dog Days'
SAO

will check out tier:
Campione
Arcana
Joshiraku
Kokoro Connect

Will pretend they don't exist tier:
Lagrange
Yuru Yuri (It's going to be a nightmare with having a whole new season full of "NOBODY CAN SEE AKARI LOLOLOL")
Horizon S2
Dakara boku wa, H blah blah blah
Imouto ga iru
koi to syenko to choco
ebiten

Of course, everything is subject to change based on how they actually turn out.

Soma

I'll most likely only be watching Binbougami Ga! and maaayyybe Sword Art Online. Man the Binbougami manga is just so good. Really looking forward to that.

Other than that, I'll be trying to tackle my backlog this summer.

edit - oh right and the new Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA episode too

survivor

Banned
Natsuyuki: It's Noitamina plus the trailer for the anime was great
Moyashimon Returns: First season was fantastic and I enjoyed all the characters and the comedy
Binbou-gami ga: I read the first volume of the manga and it was fucking hilarious and coming from a director with a lot of experience in comedy, there is no way it can flop
Oda Nobuna: Maybe it will be as good as Sengoku Collection.
Tari Tari: Let's hope this is not as awful as Hanasaku Iroha
Kokoro Connect: Cute girls doing cute things
Arcana Famiglia: I'm down for fujoshi bait action anime
Karuta historical anime: I have some hopes for this for some reason

Articalys

Will watch from ep1:
Natsuyuki
Tari Tari
SAO
Lagrange S2
Kokoro Connect

Pending impressions:
any of the non-harem stuff

Carrying over from Spring:
Hyouka
Space Brothers
Eureka Seven AO
Phi Brain S2
Sket Dance

...well, that's not so bad, I guess, especially if a drop goes through.

Makoto

Mirai Nikki 1

As I make a brief detour from my current backlog, I think I may from this as such, a brief detour. The first episode felt rushed.
One of the biggest mistakes being that we're supposed to go along with the predicted outcomes in Yuki's daily life without having the daily life itself established prior to the introduction of the future diary. The result is a lessened impact on just how extraordinary this diary is.
Looking at past impressions of the first episode, it seemed everyone had mostly positive things to say about it which surprised me. I cannot imagine anything but brainless nonsense emerging from this premise and I've already had my fill of that this past week. I think I'll just wait for Funimation to release the blu-ray.

Will follow:
Sword Art Online, Horizon 2, Oda Nobuna, Joshiraku, Arcana Famiglia, Whatever else from this season I'm still following

Maybe, who knows:
Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Binbou-gami ga!, Campione!, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica

Will watch after watching season 1:
Moyashimon Returns, Dog Days 2, Rinne no Lagrange 2

Will watch when dubbed:
Pokemon B/W 2

God I hope some of these shows end up sucking. :[

tiff

Banned
There are a lot of things I haven't seen.
same, actually, i was just messing with you

Carrying over from spring
Hyouka

Will watch
Yuru Yuri 2
Kokoro Connect

Might check out
Sword Art Online
Dog Days' if I manage to slog through the first season
Rinne no Lagrange in a futile hope that it actually becomes good
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Kono Naka?
Ebitan??
i dunno I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel now

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Legitimately interested in:

Bimbougami ga
Lagrange S2
Moyashimon Returns
Uta Koi

Will try:

Aruvu Rezuru
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Joshiraku
Tari Tari

Will try pending positive impressions:

Sword Art Online

Suffering shows:

Ebiten
Oda Nobuna no Yabou

Suffering shows pending positive impressions from DTL:

Arcana Famiglia
Campione

Morbid Curiosity:

Chitose Get You

survivor

Banned
Anyone have that picture of Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere books stacked up together?

Also what portion of the books does the anime cover?

Makoto

Into my veins:
YuruYuri
Tari Tari

Very iffy on but will probably follow every episode:
Ebiten
Binbou-gami ga
Kono Naka ni Hitori
Korkoro Connect

Very iffy on and will probably drop pending 3-episode rule:
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Joshiraku

A tiny bit interested in but probably won't exceed my already low expectations of its premise leading me to drop it on the first episode:
Muv-Luv
Sword Art Online
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
Aruvu Rezuru
La storia della Arcana Famiglia
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

feel:
Dakara Boku wa
Kiss x Sis OVA

Andrew J.

Fate/Zero S1

This is pretty great so far. Action is nice and smooth, and the talky parts (and Lord almighty, there are talky parts) feature interesting ideas, smart dialogue, and character development. Who'd have thought that pairing good writers with sufficient budgets would result in quality anime? Onward to season two!

Archer>Rider>Saber>Berserker>Lancer>Caster>Assassin

It seems like we do this every couple of weeks, but oh well.

Really looking forward to:

Binbougami ga! - The first chapter of the manga is hilarious. It mixes trolling humor with touches of genuine pathos in a similar way to Gintama, which makes it perfectly suited to Yoichi Fujita and his team at Sunrise Studio 5. And with Masashi Hamauzu composing, it's going to have an awesome soundtrack.

Natsuyuki Rendevous - I very much liked the couple chapters of the manga; its frank, mature approach to romance impressed me. Based on the trailer and what I've heard of Kou Matsuno's directing style, I think the anime could bring out the best in the material. The look of the background art is appealing.

Looking forward to:

Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi - Kenichi Kasai has a good track record when it comes to josei manga adaptations, and the premise of this one - a historical romance loosely based on the 100 Poems of karuta - is particularly appealing. The key art looks attractive, and I'm curious to see what Maki Kirioka and Yasunori Mitsuda will produce for the soundtrack.

Joshiraku - Tsutomu Mizushima's comedic genius seems to be sparked most by psychotic women, which is why I think he could do a great job with this manga about a bunch of them. Character designer Masayoshi Tanaka has a track record of attractive looking shows.

Moyashimon Returns - I still haven't gotten around the first season, which I'll need to rectify soon, but with as well-liked as it is this seems like a fairly safe bet.

Will watch at least the first episode:

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita - I have to find out what's up with that cigar smoking headless chicken. Seiji Kishi is a problematic director, but he's done well with shows focused on goofiness, so if this turns out to be one of those it could be quite enjoyable. I do like the art style.

Sword Art Online - I've been impressed enough by the production values to give this a try. The art does a very good job of realizing a fantasy world. The actual execution is quite likely to become dull and ponderous, but there's a chance it could be campy fun if it's handled in the right way.

Tari Tari - Without Masahiro Ando I fear this will only be a pale attempt by PA Works to piggyback on Hanasaku Iroha's success, but I like this kind of show enough to give it a chance anyway. Its success will hinge on how successfully it establishes the characters and their interactions.

In summary, this summer season looks quite promising when it comes to comedy, especially with Space Brothers continuing. This present season has been weak on that front, with Gintama's lamentable absence. Throw a couple romance shows into the bargain and I'm looking forward to it.

---

On the movie/OVA front, I await the release of the K-ON movie (after I watch season 2) at the end of this month, and Hells, Magic Tree House, and Tibetan Dog in August. If I got the opportunity to see A Letter to Momo in the near future, that would be most welcome. I might also check out Space Battleship Yamato 2199 to see if they made it more watchable despite the downgrade in mechanical animation, and will watch Akito the Exiled for Kazuki Akane's sake.

Geneijin

Anyone have that picture of Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere books stacked up together?

Also what portion of the books does the anime cover?
Q: How many cours is this? Is it split up?
A: Based on the BD contents, it’s 1 cour; in terms of the novel, it covers volumes 1A and 1B. A second season has already been decided, but the number of cours has yet to be decided.

Source

fyi, it hasn't finished covering the first volume yet to my knowledge.

Based on his posts, the only thing he seems to care about (as far as posts are concerned at least) in the series is the art, for whatever reason, and it is true that Cordelia's parts have the most varied/different art design in her segments.

Why he doesn't seem to care about the so-often-hilarious humor to say anything at all about it I don't know, though.

Eh, I find the humor amusing. I just don't really feel the need to post about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom