• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Magic basketball?!

ihu6N.jpg

The best kind of Magic basketball.

Mobile Police Patlabor OVA

This was pretty good, though I was disappointed. I know I still have the movies to watch, but for something that was fairly grounded in reality the characterization was rather weak. There was a bit too much focus on comedy and lighthearted antics, though I did enjoy it very much. Episode 3 in particular was fantastic, and subverted some common tropes associated with that kind of story. Thinking about it, the whole series was lighthearted, especially compared to Angel's Egg and the Ghost in the Shell movies. Perhaps that is why I was so disappointed. I was very excited when
things started to get more serious during episode 5, the buildup was great. Unfortunately, episode 6 ended up being a waste. ANN says that Ichiro Itano actually directed it, so perhaps that explains why it didn't go the way I wanted. Everything was just resolved way too quickly and easily, and the villain was poorly developed.
The action throughout the series left a lot to be desired too, there was definitely something lacking. The lack of any real sense of danger was likely to blame.

Onward to the movies!

survivor

Banned
Sengoku Collection 11

Good episode and about time we got another older general. Even though Matsunaga's plan was very predictable, it was still enjoyable. Also from the preview, next episode should also feature another good looking general.

Milky Holmes end

And suddenly, super powered battles in space! I'm pretty sure this was sakuga as fuck. Definitely not the kind of finale I was expecting even 2 episodes ago. Neat stuff.

Overall, this show was amusing. Occasionally crude, great facial expressions, alright humor; yeah, definitely a show I didn't lose my time on. It didn't really have anything to do with being detectives, but ah well.

This may be a weird comparison, but it kind of reminds me of Inukami. Somewhat similar sense of humor.

Guess I'll watch season 2.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fate/Zero 24

Truly anime of the forever.

I don't want this ride to ever end and yet I can't wait for the finale.

The Kerrytugu - Kirei fight was everything I wanted and then some. The scene with the grail was so fucking awesome.

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Zero 24

Truly anime of the forever.

I don't want this ride to ever end and yet I can't wait for the finale.

The Kerrytugu - Kirei fight was everything I wanted and then some. The scene with the grail was so fucking awesome.

I might just keep the boxsets behind lock and key.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Ranma 1/2 1-20

Thanks for the stupid trailer of Ranma 1/2, Secret of Motherhood or something bs, I need the original Ranma to get rid of this curse.

Even though this is a rewatch, the first 20 episodes still managed to make me laugh out loud for a few time.

I also notice a lot of other stuff that I didn't realize when I watched it as a little kid. Since Ranma is nearly unbeatable in normal fight, the show had to add all the extra elements like gymnastic or ice skating to keep every fight a challenge for him. The show and character do have clear progression (even tho it is a long show), only thing that's stuff and stuck in a loop is Akane and Ranma's romance, since the moment they became lover is the moment the show end.

Oreimo 1

I cannot believe I am watching this series again. All I can say is Kirino shows her support to the industry. If I manage to watch this fully a second time I may just end up finally purchasing this title.

The book is still going strong, so there are a strong possibility for season 2, and the harem slowly getting bigger.

Ranma 1/2 1-20

Thanks for the stupid trailer of Ranma 1/2, Secret of Motherhood or something bs, I need the original Ranma to get rid of this curse.

Even though this is a rewatch, the first 20 episodes still managed to make me laugh out loud for a few time.

I also notice a lot of other stuff that I didn't realize when I watched it as a little kid. Since Ranma is nearly unbeatable in normal fight, the show had to add all the extra elements like gymnastic or ice skating to keep every fight a challenge for him. The show and character do have clear progression (even tho it is a long show), only thing that's stuff and stuck in a loop is Akane and Ranma's romance, since the moment they became lover is the moment the show end.

The only "progression" in Ranma is the addition of new characters.

The book is still going strong, so there are a strong possibility for season 2, and the harem slowly getting bigger.

Possibility? Oreimo season 2 has already been announced!

jbug617

Banned
I guess after buying both fate zero sets, madoka magica, and the Rod tv blurays I kind of forgot the sense of "cheap".
I am lost. Its too late for me.

Can I blame you for giving me the confidence to buy all these blu-rays and dvds? Your words of wisdom gave me the courage in making my first purchase and now I have a bunch of them.

Huh, there's an IDORUM@STER bonus episode?

There's a bonus episode for Another as well, it occurs before the events of the show.

Acchi Kocchi 5:

Oh god. This show is almost the perfect combination of cuteness, slice-of-life, cuteness, gags, cuteness, action comedy, cuteness, hilarious random dialogue, cuteness, and cuteness. Io doesn't know what he's missing by not taking Tsumiki as his bride yesterday.

I don't recognize any of the voices for this show, so I guess they found a bunch of newcomers who all manage to nail their characters just about perfectly too. It's amazing how entertaining everyone is in this show when they are speaking.

Defuser

Huh, there's an IDORUM@STER bonus episode?

There's a bonus episode for Another as well, it occurs before the events of the show.

Acchi Kocchi 5:

I don't recognize any of the voices for this show, so I guess they found a bunch of newcomers who all manage to nail their characters just about perfectly too. It's amazing how entertaining everyone is in this show when they are speaking.
Nobuhiko Okamoto, Hitomi Nabatame and Shintaro Asuma are veterans. Tsumiki VA should be new while Hime VA is obsure.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Acchi Kocchi 5:

Oh god. This show is almost the perfect combination of cuteness, slice-of-life, cuteness, gags, cuteness, action comedy, cuteness, hilarious random dialogue, cuteness, and cuteness. Io doesn't know what he's missing by not taking Tsumiki as his bride yesterday.

I'm pretty sure Mayoi's seiyuu is the woman who played the alcoholic teacher from Hayate! The Combat Butler.

jbug617

Banned
Acchi Kocchi ended up being a pretty good show. It hooked you in with the cuteness but the comedy and slice of life feel kept you coming back.

1stStrike

Banned
Forgot to mention this - I watched this earlier today. I know this came first, but I got some strong Gurren Lagann vibes while watching this anime. I didn't watch the original, though, so I was a bit lost story-wise.

It had a very old school feel to it with the mech action which I enjoyed, though I found the ending to be a bit random. Basically,
a giant vagina opens in space, they fly into it, and then the original team is surrounded by thousands of other Getter Robo's who then say that they've been waiting for them, and then they go and fight for eternity after the new guys escape from the vagina. Cue 10 seconds of posing and that's a wrap.

I appreciate the mech action in the series, but the story was a bit nonsensical at times.

Narag

Redline

Romance between JP and Sonoshee was a bit out there and the story was mostly serviceable but y'know what? I don't give a shit about that. This movie was so beautiful. The rule of cool was very much in effect and I sat through some of the finest animation I've seen. Seven years in production? It shows. I was floored during the racing segments. I think my only complaint is there wasn't more racing. Loved the other racers too. Even if they didn't get much screentime, they oozed such personality and were fun to watch. Also really liked the concept of holding the race even when the host planet refused.

Redline mothership warping in to become the final straightaway? So fucking cool.

God damn, I think I want to watch the pilot again now.

kuroko basketball 11

Some nice animations this week.

i know it's for dramatic tension, but must every single 3 pointer that guy shoots take like a min long?

next week should be fun.

zeroshiki

Wait wut, I don't remember you. Welcome back, I guess. Yes: we hit a third OT, so what? That's nothing compared to four!

I don't remember you either.

You haven't lurked long enough, I guess.

I haven't even been gone that long -_- Like, a month tops.

Anyways, Hyouka 6

Another episode of yet again another obvious mystery. I have to admit, I haven't written small caps in a long time and it took me a while to "catch" the mystery but it was hideously simple. The visuals and imagination parts yet again save the show as well as further development of Chitanda and Horeki.

The little "kininarimasu" angels were really cute.

1stStrike

Banned
Can't wait for the next episode and the apparently extended episode 24 on the blu-ray release? Editing was pretty heavy in this and I can tell they struggled to fit it into one episode.

Still though, I enjoyed it. There were some really tense moments in the fight scene and I loved
how Lancelot regained his humanity for a brief moment at the end and just looks so completely saddened over Saber's choices.

Looking forward to the end of this series and going back and re-watching it on blu-ray once it's released.

Branduil

Hyouka 7

iAwCImHr5AA5G.jpg

There's nothing quite as wonderful as seeing someone's dreams shattered... I think Gilgamesh is rubbing off on me.

I really liked this episode. The setting allowed KyoAni's background artists to display their talents, and the mystery was genuinely interesting this time. And it goes without saying that the animation and direction was great. What particularly impresses me is how KyoAni makes it look so effortless, as if making a show with this kind of production value is no biggie.

Houtarou really needs to be honest about his feelings at this point. He's completely tsundere for Chitandaexercise. And Satoshi is a yukata snob, who knew?

iboh2oxEcPmfCQ.jpg

Hand-drawn bus spotted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom